Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
good neck recruitment is actually the key to a powerful bench

although it really doesn't need to be mentioned. if anything all the posters in the thread are probably overtraining their neck muscles in the locker room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
closed grip bench is my fav bench thing by about one billion percent

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

what's the deal with squats and testosterone? is this broscience or will working legs heavy giving me a little boost? i spend a lot of time walking/climbing stairs at work and i need some motivation to keep visibly hobbling myself from post-gym soreness.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
pretty sure its bro science garbage perpetuated by starting strength autists

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

pretty sure its bro science garbage perpetuated by starting strength autists

You were right, Atoma is the best thing DT have put out since Damage Done. :black101: no idea why they released one of the weakest songs on the album first.

Anyway, trip to gym: squatted 95kg for three sets of 10 reps. I'm tired of being light, I'm switching to a hypertrophy routine to see if I can actually gain some mass rather than just getting stronger but looking similar. 65kg and benching 90kg for 3 reps is fun, but I'm sure being 75kg and doing it for 10 is even better.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Did 2 sec down, 2 sec up 4x8 on the bench yesterday after not being able to go to the gym for about a week. Feeling it today. Feels good, man.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The gym was playing Linkin Park tonight.

That's a step up #SSJBROLLY

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Stand by your man by dolly & Tammy came on shuffle, busted out an extra set of squirts

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

My lovely new wrist strap snapped on the stitching during a 595lb deadlift. My old ones from elitefts lasted 7 years and these lasted all of 4 weeks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

E_P posted:

My lovely new wrist strap snapped on the stitching during a 595lb deadlift. My old ones from elitefts lasted 7 years and these lasted all of 4 weeks.

This dude smelling like butt next to me :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
[quote="Zzulu" post="sorry didnt mean to quote you man

Posting on my poo poo phone ishard

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

E_P posted:

I got Versa Gripps recently. While expensive, they seem pretty decent.

Bought small because I got skinny wrists, but that might have been a bad choice. My only problem with them is that I feel the "flap" could come longer way into my hand, although I still get a really good grip with them.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fuckin puzzies liftin with straps

Your ancestors are rolling in their burial grounds

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Fuckin puzzies liftin with straps

Your ancestors are rolling in their burial grounds
Ancestors had big forearms and no lats, traps, or hamstrings. Past is gone, embrace technology. Buy a squat suit and brew your own tren with some horse drugs. The future is now. If you arent benching bw x 1.5 squating/deadlifting bw x 2.5 then ignore this post and go back to believing the crossfit games are clean and wondering why powerlifters die at 45.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I woke up to like 30 Swole thread posts and I was like WHAT HAPPENED???

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did 2 sec down, 2 sec up 4x8 on the bench yesterday after not being able to go to the gym for about a week. Feeling it today. Feels good, man.

What WotD website do you get this stuff from?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

What WotD website do you get this stuff from?

Good ahead and Google slow sets, also negative sets. I can't be assed right now.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm on that new "eat fried chicken and don't go to the gym" plan. Working alright I guess.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm on that new "eat fried chicken and don't go to the gym" plan. Working alright I guess.

We should start a thread for us like minded folk

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

good neck recruitment is actually the key to a powerful bench

although it really doesn't need to be mentioned. if anything all the posters in the thread are probably overtraining their neck muscles in the locker room

You think? You shouldn't be driving your head into the bench during a press, it's your back and core that should be stabilizing the arch. I'm open to counterarguments but have never heard anyone say this before.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

GORDON posted:

I woke up to like 30 Swole thread posts and I was like WHAT HAPPENED???

THERE IS SOMETHING NEW IN THE WORLD OF FITNESS, CALLED MUSCLE CONFUSION!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I'm going to the gym.

Keg fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 4, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Keg posted:

THERE IS SOMETHING NEW IN THE WORLD OF FITNESS, CALLED MUSCLE CONFUSION!!!!!!!!!

Is that how muscles confuse you because they won't grow :smith:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I kilt it today at the gym.

Feelin' good boys

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Eldred posted:

You think? You shouldn't be driving your head into the bench during a press, it's your back and core that should be stabilizing the arch. I'm open to counterarguments but have never heard anyone say this before.

Basically this. I used my head and neck once, and it hurt. Drive your shoulder blades into the bench instead, DD.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why do shrugs make me feel dizzy and nauseous ? I get motion sickness with them so I always avoid them. I do not get this feeling on a deadlift. Edit: or a farmers carry

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hows your salami intake?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chinatown posted:

hows your salami intake?

Are you asking about my nohomo dicksucking experiences ?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

jonathan posted:

why do shrugs make me feel dizzy and nauseous ? I get motion sickness with them so I always avoid them. I do not get this feeling on a deadlift. Edit: or a farmers carry

How's your breathing, and what are you looking at when you do them?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Are you asking about my nohomo dicksucking experiences ?

no i was asking about your salami intake but please by all means continue

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
insufficient salami consumption can lead to dizziness, fatigue

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

let's hear it for the before-work workout crew

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All this Halloween candy is loving with my macros. Snickers is like kryptonite. I need to be thrown in the penitentiary for a month to get me back on track.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Good ahead and Google slow sets, also negative sets. I can't be assed right now.

How much do you bench again?

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Dicere posted:

what's the deal with squats and testosterone? is this broscience or will working legs heavy giving me a little boost? i spend a lot of time walking/climbing stairs at work and i need some motivation to keep visibly hobbling myself from post-gym soreness.

I started my swole journey 2 years ago. A friend commented that I grunted and sighed when I sat up out of the drivers seat in my car.

I've been doing barbell squats regularly since then. I now explode out of my car like Brock Lesnar.

No idea about the testosterone thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

How much do you bench again?

I will be the first to tell you I'm a manlet that doesn't focus on getting the ginormous numbers, we've already been over this. Just eat some salami and chill out, man, maybe go read about negative lifts.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kickascii posted:

I started my swole journey 2 years ago. A friend commented that I grunted and sighed when I sat up out of the drivers seat in my car.

I've been doing barbell squats regularly since then. I now explode out of my car like Brock Lesnar.
I can't explode out of my car because I am not small and drive a ford fiesta.

On the concentric you get better gains going up as fast as you can while still controlling the bar. On the eccentric, you should be taking 2s anyway unless you're using super light weight and shotgunning out reps.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Khorne posted:

I can't explode out of my car because I am not small and drive a ford fiesta.
On the concentric you get better gains going up as fast as you can while still controlling the bar. On the eccentric, you should be taking 2s anyway unless you're using super light weight and shotgunning out reps.

Huh, I'd always heard that slow concentric was good too (while mixing in other explosive workouts, including doing faster concentric on the bench - so, switching out slow and normal some workouts). Good to know, I'll adjust.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Huh, I'd always heard that slow concentric was good too (while mixing in other explosive workouts, including doing faster concentric on the bench - so, switching out slow and normal some workouts). Good to know, I'll adjust.
Well, it was one study on bar speed. So who knows. The results were pretty clear though. The group moving at twice the bar speed got almost double the gains in the study. In reality, claiming double is a tall claim but claiming that you probably get better gains moving the bar faster is probably not wrong.

You still get gains either way, and lifting is one of those most roads that aren't going in the wrong direction lead to rome activities. It just takes different amounts of time to get there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
haven't been to the gym in almost two weeks, great fat and sad plan in bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I will be the first to tell you I'm a manlet that doesn't focus on getting the ginormous numbers, we've already been over this. Just eat some salami and chill out, man, maybe go read about negative lifts.

You don't need to do the weird poo poo they write about on t-nation. No one does.