Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i heard the admins just ban anyone who doesn't give abuela a bj

The only person I give a bj is Dan Ackroyd and only after I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Roland Jones posted:

I am pretty sure this was mentioned already but seriously, an FBI purge is needed at this point. This is absurd.

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/794568640154583042

What is it with conservatives and bow ties? (not counting Bill Nye)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Nate set up the model a few months ago and hasn't significantly touched it since.

Right, which is why I didn't say he has done it, but rather he will make adjustments at the last minute to give definitive calls to states so that he can again parade around a high accuracy rate despite freaking out for the last year.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fknlo posted:

On conservatives openly celebrating the thing where the FBI is trying to tank Clinton, can you imagine their reaction if it was the other way around?

:allears:
Well, when Comey stupidly rebuked Clinton for being "extremely careless" but did not actually recommend indictment, we got some indication of what it would be like, yes.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/794559610158018568

The faces. Look at the faces.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i heard the admins just ban anyone who doesn't give abuela a bj

Wrong!

You can't give a woman a bj!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cimber posted:

See: Pre-Brexit polling

We have definitive proof - we will be falsely attributing the Brexit vote as killing the idea of polling until the end of time.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dexo posted:

Wait what?

Was that aimed at me? If so you better double check my posting history. Because you misread that post of mine severely.

She was talking to Boner Confessor

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh, and I should mention that politicians voting a certain way after being influenced by lobbyists is not necessarily because they are moustache-twirling comic book villains plotting to take down America, but more likely due to simple ignorance. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity, Hanlon's razor, etc.

Imagine you're a dumb poo poo Gohmert-style politician sent from the South by rural voters even dumber than you are. You are also pressed for time and money every single day. You might even be a lazy motherfucker, whatever.

Why bother spending your own time and effort researching some obscure topic you'll need to vote on but don't give a single gently caress about when you could simply listen to the friendly men and women that come knocking on your door and giving you free poo poo like dinners and Scotch as well as free information on the best ways to vote on an issue? That's practically having your job be done for you!

If I had fewer moral scruples, being a Senator bought-and-owned by lobbyists would be a loving sweet and cushy gig, no lie! Literal weeks and months of paid vacation time, too! :allears:

Representatives and Senators, whether actively lobbied are not, are some of the most ridiculously pampered people on the planet next to Russian oligarchs compared to Average Joe Worker and have predictably infantile attitudes as a result, which is just rich coming from Republicans bitching about work ethic and needing business leaders like Romney in government.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Isaac posted:

It's a real one he borrowed from a friend to make a point about banning assault-style weapons (and he told Capitol Police, at least).

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/article_190ee0fd-c8d4-5caa-9fb5-879e52db4be4.html
I can only assume the point was that assault-style weapons should be banned ...

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it is, and the fact you chose that particular Brexit link is a pretty clear example of the fact you're more interested in trying to promote people being worried and scared than actually discussing it.
It was the first poll aggregator I came across on Google.

Here's the second.

Also, that last part is the same conspiracist ideation that leads both Trump supporters and Clinton supporters to accuse Nate Silver of fudging his results to fit his narrative whenever the results of his model don't agree with their preconceptions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No idea, honestly. No specific quota, just glancing at the screen to see "Oh, Obama talked about Medicaid being gutted by Congress and now we're getting slammed with calls from elderly Georgians fearing for their literal survival; guess we should focus on this, huh?"

Generally from my understanding it is much lower than many think. At the state level, even in big states, it can be as few as a hundred or two letters or calls to get someone to pick their side on an issue.

The trick as activists is to target the right districts and elected officials such that they pick your side when they huddle in that meeting.

It isn't a straightforward system by any means, but let's also be honest. The reason the lobbyists are powerful aren't because they meet with the principle, it is because they are powerful that they get the meeting. The meeting itself is just a status symbol without the power to back it up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Scrolling down, I see Leave ahead many times on the tracker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Polls_of_polls

Scroll down and you'll see Leave won plenty of polls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh, and I should mention that politicians voting a certain way after being influenced by lobbyists is not necessarily because they are moustache-twirling comic book villains plotting to take down America, but more likely due to ignorance.

Imagine you're a dumb poo poo Gohmert-style politician sent from the South by rural voters even dumber you are. You are also pressed by time and money every single day. You might even be a lazy motherfucker, whatever.

Why bother spending your own time and effort researching some obscure topic you'll need to vote but don't give a single gently caress about when you could simply listen to the friendly men and women knocking on your door and giving you free poo poo like dinners and Scotch as well as free information on the best ways to vote on an issue? That's practically having your job be done for you!

If I had fewer moral scruples, being a Senator bought-and-owned by lobbyists would be a loving sweet and cushy gig, no lie! :allears:

What you're saying is that we can't let lazy people be politicans.

That's gonna be hard.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
http://europe.newsweek.com/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-russia-hillary-clinton-united-states-europe-516895

quote:

The words that so shocked the British were “our country has no idea,” and “I doubt it.” All of the NATO allies are sure Russia is behind the hacking. All of America’s intelligence agencies are, too. The foreign intelligence services had been sharing what they knew about this with the Americans, and Trump had been told about it. But he blithely dismissed the conclusion of not only the United States but its allies as well, based on absolutely nothing. Trump had no apparent means of developing his own information to contradict the findings of intelligence agencies around the world. And that he would so aggressively fight to clear Putin and cast aspersions on all Western intelligence agencies, left the British officials slack-jawed.

“They didn’t know what to think,” says one former British official who has spoken to numerous members of the government about Trump’s comments in that debate. “A lot of people are now trying to connect the dots of all the data [in the intelligence files] to try and understand Trump.... There certainly are a lot of conspiracy theories being bandied about, but no question there is a lot of concern about what’s going on in Trump’s head...and whether we would be able to work with him.”

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Right, which is why I didn't say he has done it, but rather he will make adjustments at the last minute to give definitive calls to states so that he can again parade around a high accuracy rate despite freaking out for the last year.
He's not gonna make adjustments to the model at the last minute.

But not on aggregates, which is the point. Trump has won a lot of individual polls, but that of course means almost nothing.

theflyingorc posted:

We have definitive proof - we will be falsely attributing the Brexit vote as killing the idea of polling until the end of time.
Brexit polls were close - closer than these.
But not that much.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

canepazzo posted:

Leave was ahead in most of the 2-3 last months, with a small surge for Remain towards the end when Jo Cox got murdered (which spurred the UKIP shitheads to start crying about false flags). The brexit mistake was not the polls, but people disbelieving them.

Much like Primary Trump.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Covok posted:

What you're saying is that we can't let lazy people be politicans.

That's gonna be hard.

Hillary is the opposite of lazy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Has any foreign leader or political official, apart from Russians, come out in support of Trump? Everyone else seems pretty pro-Clinton.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Agrajag posted:

What is it with conservatives and bow ties? (not counting Bill Nye)

No balls to direct attention toward.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PT6A posted:

Has any foreign leader or political official, apart from Russians, come out in support of Trump? Everyone else seems pretty pro-Clinton.

Idiot President of Mexico sorta.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PT6A posted:

Two-bit dictatorial despots and North Korea

Covok
May 27, 2013

Radish posted:

So that's why his people hate him. That and all the other reasons.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Radish posted:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have to wonder how Trump having striking teachers killed would play out.

What's the story here?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

going to a taco party on election night, either way it goes it's going to be awkward when i'm the only sober person in the room

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No no no! Talking to boner confessor! I was quoting you to disprove his "only gfsincere and TB complain about the moderation" thing.

after seeing more then one attempt at 'okay how can i/we get better with re: moderating' result in no, or at best temporary, change i don't really hold a lot of hope in this changing

donald understand you can't let the facts get in the way of your story i see

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

PT6A posted:

North Korea

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-trump-idUSKCN0YN35S

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

He's not gonna make adjustments to the model at the last minute.

But not on aggregates, which is the point. Trump has won a lot of individual polls, but that of course means almost nothing.

Brexit polls were close - closer than these.
But not that much.

They were certainty in the lead in the leadup to Jo Cox's death. Trump has been struggling most of this election.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I forgot NBC was keeping BriWi around by punishing him with cable panel duty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PT6A posted:

Duterte likes him, although in that same interview he said he likes Hillary too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

What's the story here?

Obama is into threeways

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think the big problem I have with this article

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/

is that we are currently at the bottom of what seems like a constant fluctuation from a norm of 73.4%

If we are at the current bottom of the bubble, why assume the polling error is further negative rather than a regression the mean?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Radish posted:

What's the story here?

Lol it was a meeting of Trudeau, Obama, and EPN and they looked dumb doing a three-way handshake. It's a propos of nothing.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Hillary is the opposite of lazy.

She's an awful gunner. Would have made fun of her in 1L. Also would have gotten substantially worse grades than her, even if I'd gotten into her school...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/suffolk89/status/794562331200131072

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Evan Bayh is now polling underwater in Indiana. GOP chances of keeping the Senate up considerably if he loses.

As an Indiana resident, it seems the more I throw money at this race, the worse it gets.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Covok posted:

Wrong!

You can't give a woman a bj!

You should read The Secret. It may change your attitude.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Cingulate posted:

You mean, you see multiple individual polls showing Leave ahead?

Setting this aside, Trump has never had as good a showing as Leave did in polling, if Trump wins it's a massive upset of a much larger scope than Brexit, which I think is the stronger point. Trump would kill to be performing as well as Leave did in the polls. And US polling is more consistent and well understood than Brexit, not less. Brexit is basically an admission of weakness, magical thinking.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lobbying is not about giving politicians cash. The cash is from the client to the lobbyist. It's about access and informing the politicians. 75% of lobbying is "non-contact" lobbying that involves writing memos, policy analysis, and organization.

Most major issues lobbying is not effective. Pro-life politicians are that way for personal or political reasons and won't change.

Major lobbying is done on issues that politicians know little about and the general public cares little about. Things like logging rights, prescription drug licensing and tracking regulations, and rules for depreciation.

This gives politicians an overwhelming amount of technical analysis and information on a subject that someone is interested in enough to pay for. That skews their knowledge base and influences policy. It's not about bribing the actual lawmakers.

thank you for this. most actual effective lobbying is not on stuff that are in campaign platforms or anything. it's this esoteric stuff that people don't know much about like the difference between certain logging rights proposals. without lobbying all this stuff would get decided without actually knowing the impact. all the rhetoric about the "revolving door" and poo poo like that would go away if they knew it was just "staffer X who wrote Congressman X's bill on new accounting treatments for depreciation is now advising Senator y on the same issue as a representative of lobbying firm z."

also they all have to register and it's a big loving pain.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

There's so much comedy gold in here.

I especially liked the part where even the Russians threw up their hands and basically declared Trump too unpredictable to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

The joke is too easy.

• Locked thread