Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I noticed a guy with one at the bar yesterday.

I still have not gotten my bomb safe return box yet. Verizon said they had stock issues and it's still coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

bull3964 posted:

It's been awhile since we heard about the Note 7...

http://amp.androidcentral.com/new-zealand-carriers-will-cut-access-note-7-nov-18

People still aren't retuning them, so Samsung is starting to work with carriers to blacklist the IMEIs and cut off cellular service.

In other Samsung news, they just recalled 2.8 million top-loading washing machines. Any guesses why?

Risk of explosion.

:psyduck:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

Anyone have an Axon 7? Seems like a great phone for the price, especially the audio. Finding shipping to Hong Kong... Not so easy.

Yes I and a couple others in the thread have them, and I love mine! The most recent update seemed to eliminate the aggressive noise reduction I noticed before, which was really my only complaint.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

There's no such thing as a branded Pixel.

It uses the native mobile hotspot, but the stock Android hotspot has long been able to obey account entitlement for hotspot. Nexus 6, 5x, 6p, and Pixel all check to see if hotspot is allowed before enabling it.

The only phone in recent memory that didn't check is the 2015 MXP.

It's not physically branded, but the Verizon model is the only one you can buy that'll have carrier-specific apps preinstalled and a locked bootloader.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I know nothing about the Home. How do you activate it? Tell me it's not "okay google". I already accidentally trigger my phone every time I try to talk to my watch.

They fixed that with the Home, allegedly. Any other devices nearby won't respond if the Home picks you up.

Which apparently can be a problem. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11/google-home-review-a-step-forward-for-hotwords-a-step-backward-in-capability/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

You prefer the idea of installing a custom rom possibly made made by a 13 year old over resetting your phone based on anecdotal evidence, and are taking advice from someone who won't exchange their faulty phone over 'questionable refurbs' and made posts I genuinely though were joke copy pastes taken from xda

You carry on then

I prefer the idea of flashing a custom ROM where I can control the speed of the toasty 810 to just doing a factory reset because a factory reset won't actually do anything according to the people that have the same problems as me. I don't have Facebook app installed or any of the other notorious hogs and playing around with the location services doesn't help my SoT, much less the "leaving the camera on turns the phone into a hot lovely mess" problem, so I'm not optimistic that doing a factory reset will do anything. I don't want to do either as both are bad solutions (and in one case probably not actually a solution) for a modern day consumer electronic device and I'd rather try going on the beta 7.1.1 before doing any of that

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 4, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sleepwalkers posted:

It's not physically branded, but the Verizon model is the only one you can buy that'll have carrier-specific apps preinstalled and a locked bootloader.

There is zero physical or software difference between a Verizon Pixel and a Google store Pixel. It's all IMEI based. If your IMEI is in the list as a Verizon Pixel, the phone doesn't permit flipping the bootloader unlock switch. The apps aren't pre-installed either, they are downloaded and installed from the play store when the phone is setup with a Verizon SIM in it (should happen to Google store pixels as well, I can't verify through because I setup mine without the SIM installed.) That's been a feature in android for quite some time.

The only difference between the phone you buy in a Verizon store and a phone you buy from Google is an entry in a remote DB.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
edit: oops, meant to post this in the phone recommendation thread

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 4, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

http://amp.androidcentral.com/new-zealand-carriers-will-cut-access-note-7-nov-18

People still aren't retuning them, so Samsung is starting to work with carriers to blacklist the IMEIs and cut off cellular service.

If only certain carriers would get their loving act together and facilitate returns (I'm looking at you Rogers)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Rogers delenda est

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

I'm still using mine, waiting for my pixel.

Also, you guys who are horrified at custom roms must have lost your poo poo at custom firmware and homebrew on game devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also, you guys who are horrified at custom roms must have lost your poo poo at custom firmware and homebrew on game devices.

I don't but that's because I'm an adult and game devices are for children.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, that poo poo doesn't usually handle all the data in my entire life.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not horrified, just find it funny that when faced with the basic step one of android trouble shooting, the factory reset, the idea of flashing a custom rom is in anyway preferable

Also loving lol at the dude who despite having never run stock, is having battery and speaker phone issues, and not for one second has thought maybe his lovely custom rom, 'optimisations' to kernel stuff he has no real idea about, and 300 apps might have something to do with it

XDA up in this bitch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

I don't but that's because I'm an adult and game devices are for children.

It's not 1985 anymore grandpa. We download our music and steam our movies.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, that poo poo doesn't usually handle all the data in my entire life.

If we're worried about that, remember your phones are full of stuff from China.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's not 1985 anymore grandpa. We download our music and steam our movies.

Oh, I have a thing called a job and don't feel the need to be entertained constantly like a baby in a crib. Perhaps my reality isn't so bad that I desperately seek to escape it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Oh, I have a thing called a job and don't feel the need to be entertained constantly like a baby in a crib. Perhaps my reality isn't so bad that I desperately seek to escape it?

Sounds like you need a new job, pappy. The rest of us can afford to enjoy a break with entertainment and hobbies, it's pretty nice.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

lolololol yes watching movies or playing video games is for those who are desperately trying to escape real life.

Edit: That said, I do not miss having to janitor my phone to get it to work how a smartphone should. Moving over to iOS has been nice but there are some things I miss from Android and the Pixel looks to be the closest thing that's in the middle of the two OSs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Idk, I like playing old games, but if you can't see the difference between running homebrew on your Wii vs a custom is build on the most important, absolutely-has-to-work communication device that is with you 99% of the day, well, idk what to tell you.

There's a difference to most people about the amount of poo poo they're willing to put up with in their devices. I don't know you, though. Maybe your games are more important in your life than your phone, and that's why you continue to carry a bomb in your pocket.

LastInLine posted:

You sound every bit as ridiculous, FYI.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

This is some serious Goons.txt poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

No, most people in this thread who think custom roms are dumb now also used to flash custom roms back when Android was complete poo poo.

Now, instead of doing that they buy Nexus/Pixel devices where the problems with custom roms outweigh what remains of built-in shittiness in stock Android.

In other words, it's not about custom ROMs themselves, its about the tradeoffs made in using them. On some devices the tradeoff is worth it, on others it is not.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Has there been any official mention or rumors, when the Pixel will become available on the Play Store in other markets than the five where it's already on sale?

I'm specifically hoping for the Scandinavian markets, as it's annoying having to do imports through either Germany or the UK, especially if you suddenly need service.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

No, most people in this thread who think custom roms are dumb now also used to flash custom roms back when Android was complete poo poo.

Now, instead of doing that they buy Nexus/Pixel devices where the problems with custom roms outweigh what remains of built-in shittiness in stock Android.

In other words, it's not about custom ROMs themselves, its about the tradeoffs made in using them. On some devices the tradeoff is worth it, on others it is not.

I would add that one shouldn't buy a phone with the intention of flashing custom roms. If you think it's broken out of the box then it's better to buy a phone that isn't broken instead of wasting your time trying to fix it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Idk, I like playing old games, but if you can't see the difference between running homebrew on your Wii vs a custom is build on the most important, absolutely-has-to-work communication device that is with you 99% of the day, well, idk what to tell you.

There's a difference to most people about the amount of poo poo they're willing to put up with in their devices. I don't know you, though. Maybe your games are more important in your life than your phone, and that's why you continue to carry a bomb in your pocket.

A phone is an entertainment device, not an artificial heart valve. If your phone is a work phone, of course you're not going to gently caress with it. That said, putting a custom ROM on your phone is fine. My old Note 3 runs a heavily modified Touchwiz build that's had most of the Touchwiz ripped out and replaced with genuine AOSP programs, not just skinned. Makes life easier and lets me properly block ads, among other things.

But hey, I'm not the one making bomb jokes in an internet thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nimper posted:

I would add that one shouldn't buy a phone with the intention of flashing custom roms. If you think it's broken out of the box then it's better to buy a phone that isn't broken instead of wasting your time trying to fix it.

Oh yeah, I was going to say something about that too.

Also, it's loving ludicrous to hand over your mobile phone security to random people on XDA with no accountability.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

Not horrified, just find it funny that when faced with the basic step one of android trouble shooting, the factory reset, the idea of flashing a custom rom is in anyway preferable

Maybe because that's a low success first step of trouble shooting in this scenario going by the other 6P users who've had the same issues and me and already done this yet you continue to say do it. Constantly factory reseting your phone every time Android decides to take a poo poo when it easily could just be some random crap that got pushed out in an app update is only marginally less stupid than flashing custom ROMs. And in this case a custom ROM is preferable only because it would give some control over the 810 speeds.

And again, I think both are bad solutions. I'd rather just try the beta 7.1.1 or downgrade back to MM

quote:

Consoles do one very specific thing and I don't really mind when they decide to have the random hiccup or when some random feature doesn't work. I don't care if online play stops working or if a specific release breaks some USB device. A phone is something I carry with me all the time and use for a variety purposes and I drat well care if something like the calendar stops working

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 4, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A phone is an entertainment device, not an artificial heart valve.

A phone absolutely contains everything needed to steal your identity and just about every account you have, let's not understate the security risk.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

And in this case a custom ROM is preferable only because it would give some control over the 810 speeds.

This goes to the issue of the phone being broken out of the box.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

A phone absolutely contains everything needed to steal your identity and just about every account you have, let's not understate the security risk.

Yeah but think how awful it would be if you didn't have some homebrew on your PSP (?) to play emulators (?)

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nimper posted:

This goes to the issue of the phone being broken out of the box.

810 was bad most people acknowledge that. But the 6p was so nice when it first came out :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

810 was bad most people acknowledge that. But the 6p was so nice when it first came out :(

I haven't had any problems with my 6P overheating. Mileage may vary, I suppose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Z5 is lovely but I do wish that it would stop getting too hot to actually hold.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, my 6p worked great out the box and still had fantastic battery life and performance when I moved to the pixel. I don't use Facebook though, maybe related?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Also loving lol at the dude who despite having never run stock, is having battery and speaker phone issues, and not for one second has thought maybe his lovely custom rom, 'optimisations' to kernel stuff he has no real idea about, and 300 apps might have something to do with it

XDA up in this bitch

I never said I was having battery issues. I was actually the direct opposite with an Hr more than stock provides and 2H over the guy with issues. (With Facebook and FBMessenger even) I do have a speakerphone issue, but being as I am the only one with the issue on the entire XDA threads for PN, I plan to chalk it up to something goofy and plan to flash stock, eventually to test the only left possibility before I blame hardware).

Also said Custom Rom has been running since that first day Flash up until a week ago when I went from 6.0.1 to the 7.0 based rom. Never dirty flash between major version jumps, and on Stock, always do a backup and Hard Reset because there are usually always issues going between the two with existing installed apps and whatever settings break between versions.

So yea.

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe because that's a low success first step of trouble shooting in this scenario going by the other 6P users who've had the same issues and me and already done this yet you continue to say do it. Constantly factory reseting your phone every time Android decides to take a poo poo when it easily could just be some random crap that got pushed out in an app update is only marginally less stupid than flashing custom ROMs. And in this case a custom ROM is preferable only because it would give some control over the 810 speeds.

And again, I think both are bad solutions. I'd rather just try the beta 7.1.1 or downgrade back to MM

Consoles do one very specific thing and I don't really mind when they decide to have the random hiccup or when some random feature doesn't work. I don't care if online play stops working or if a specific release breaks some USB device. A phone is something I carry with me all the time and use for a variety purposes and I drat well care if something like the calendar stops working

You don't need a custom rom to get CPU control, just Root for something like SetCPU, but if you want you can even do a Kernel like ElementalX on stock, however since you have to Unlock the Bootloader to be able to flash any custom stuff, and it requires a wipe to do it, all the more reason to give something else a shot If you would like a change. Like I said, Pure Nexus is as close to stock as it gets with just a few minor QoL tweaks like status bar stuff, notification light options, and a few other things. Overall made by a longtime Chef (that isn't 13) and you can even build it yourself if you fancy the time and space to do that.

^^^ the only time I have had "overheat" issues with the 6P is if it is running something like chffr (Comma.ai's app) while charging in the car (and I don't have the A/C pointed at the thing) or on a hot summer day filming in 4K in the sun. Most of the time the 6P keeps itself cool enough to run fine with that 810.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Only if you put that information there. That's not a requirement for use of the system.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Only if you put that information there. That's not a requirement for use of the system.

Email or banking. Doubt people are using throwaway emails on their smartphone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not to mention any way of intercepting an SMS for 2FA

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is dumb and you should feel bad for saying it. Actually, your whole argument is dumb and you should probably quit while you're behind.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly to me the concerns with custom ROMs or kernels or whatever is just one of stability and reliability. If I install third party stuff onto a device, I do so assuming that at some point it might just arbitrarily break due to an official update or something clashing with it. I’d rather not risk that happening on my phone when i’m on vacation or broken down or something. Or, of course, it not working /installing correctly in the first place and then having to spend three or four hours wrestling with installs and googling for solutions.

But I’m kinda bad at computers so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lol if you're not fine tuning every cpu and megabyte of your memory to optimum value as recommended by a 13 year old

No poo poo you don't know how to computer :rolleyes: