Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the big problem I have with this article

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/

is that we are currently at the bottom of what seems like a constant fluctuation from a norm of 73.4%

If we are at the current bottom of the bubble, why assume the polling error is further negative rather than a regression the mean?
when you shake things they go down, not up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CascadeBeta posted:

This gives me an idea. For every EV Trump gets over 240 I'll donate a dollar per EV to RAINN. 10 dollar base because I'd be shocked if he hits 240. I'll do it by the end of next week after my check clears.

:toxx: me baby.

Just did something similar.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Tangent to this:

:toxx: Will make a donation of $1 for every EV Hillary gets over 270. :toxx:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
We interrupt USPOL with breaking news that transcends all topics, including politics.

Dave Chappelle is hosting SNL on November 12th.

OK, we return you back to obsessing over polls.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just did something similar.

:hfive:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Bloops Crusts posted:

Evan Bayh is now polling underwater in Indiana. GOP chances of keeping the Senate up considerably if he loses.

As an Indiana resident, it seems the more I throw money at this race, the worse it gets.

Have there been any other polls with him down than that one? I'm curious, since I don't really see too many Senate polls here with all the other stuff going on.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

My God, it's so simple. Why didn't we think of this?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Covok posted:

The joke is too easy.

I was convinced that was satire until I clicked on his profile. Nope, real deal.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Trabisnikof posted:

It isn't a straightforward system by any means, but let's also be honest. The reason the lobbyists are powerful aren't because they meet with the principle, it is because they are powerful that they get the meeting. The meeting itself is just a status symbol without the power to back it up.

Bingo.

That's why top-name lobbying firms (and consulting firms for the private sector equivalent) that recruits from Ivy League colleges get the big bucks. Prestige and connections play a big role in the Old Boys' Club that is politics, and with your sole value being getting that crucial meeting you're able to command princely sums for your valuable services. Supply and demand, friend.

THE FREE MARKET WORKS!(?) :confuoot:

e: This is exactly why I immediately look askance at any Reaganite pushing for privatization of literally everything (especially healthcare) and free trade agreements as a driving political philosophy and crusade with disgust and apprehension.

On that note, if you're somehow reading this, go gently caress yourself Paul Ryan. I am deeply ashamed to recognize you as a fellow alumnus and you can take your Ayn Rand doorstops and shove them up your rear end. t:mad:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Roland Jones posted:

I am pretty sure this was mentioned already but seriously, an FBI purge is needed at this point. This is absurd.

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/794568640154583042

So now we have someone openly stating that our highest levels of law enforcement are nothing but shills to a yam golem while bragging about their role restarting this non-scandal and little is likely to come form it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the big problem I have with this article

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/

is that we are currently at the bottom of what seems like a constant fluctuation from a norm of 73.4%

If we are at the current bottom of the bubble, why assume the polling error is further negative rather than a regression the mean?

Why assume a regression to the mean instead of a continuing tend? If there's any mean regression, I would think it's toward 50/50, as people's memories fade after whatever news events previously boosted Clinton's numbers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pander posted:

when you shake things they go down, not up.

Uh... look at the chart. the +2 polling error can be bidirectional.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey, so gently caress arzying. I got a poll for VA that's not only showing C+enough, but a double digit lead on beating back the RTW amendment.

My boss just ordered more confetti wands for Tuesday.

http://bluevirginia.us/2016/11/new-poll-clinton-49-43-va-orwellian-right-work-amendment-losing-demsreps-polar-opposites-muslim-immigration

Winthrop University. First poll on Q1 in a month.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Gorelab posted:

Have there been any other polls with him down than that one? I'm curious, since I don't really see too many Senate polls here with all the other stuff going on.

You can see individual senate races on 538:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/senate/indiana/

Looks really good for Bayh, pretty consistent lead with a strong candidate.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why assume a regression to the mean instead of a continuing tend? If there's any mean regression, I would think it's toward 50/50, as people's memories fade after whatever news events previously boosted Clinton's numbers.

Because all of the trends have consistently revolved within the margin of error of the mean.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Hey, so gently caress arzying. I got a poll for VA that's not only showing C+enough, but a double digit lead on beating back the RTW amendment.

My boss just ordered more confetti wands for Tuesday.

http://bluevirginia.us/2016/11/new-poll-clinton-49-43-va-orwellian-right-work-amendment-losing-demsreps-polar-opposites-muslim-immigration

Winthrop University. First poll on Q1 in a month.

What's a confetti wand?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh... look at the chart. the +2 polling error can be bidirectional.

Shook Nate joke.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

We interrupt USPOL with breaking news that transcends all topics, including politics.

Dave Chappelle is hosting SNL on November 12th.

OK, we return you back to obsessing over polls.

Oh my god. Has SNL turned into not poo poo this election cycle? The debate sketches were great.

We need to spend a lot of time after this election making fun of Trump supporters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

comingafteryouall posted:

We need to spend a lot of time after this election making fun of Trump supporters.

Now that the Cubs have won the World Series, baseball can be packed up and this can become the new national pastime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Because we are currently experiencing the opposite, people's memories are fading after some news events that hurt Clinton's numbers. So she is trending back up toward the mean.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
There is no punishment worse for a Trump supporter than being a Trump supporter.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PT6A posted:

Now that the Cubs have won the World Series, baseball can be packed up and this can become the new national pastime.

I thought that was going to be ripping on Ted Cruz. :confused:

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Bingo.

That's why top-name lobbying (and consulting for the private sphere) that recruits from Ivy League colleges get the big bucks. Prestige and connections play a big role in the Old Boys' Club that is politics, and with your sole value being getting that crucial meeting you're able to command princely sums for your valuable services. Supply and demand, friend.

THE FREE MARKET WORKS!(?) :confuoot:

e: This is exactly why I immediately look askance at any Reaganite pushing for privatization of literally everything and free trade agreements as a driving political philosophy and crusade with disgust and apprehension.

A system that rewards the Old Boys' Club the way ours does is bullshit, I will grant you that. I think that any discussion of effective governance HAS to account for the fact that our legislature is stupidly small.

The First Congress represented 4m people (1790 census) and seated, at its largest, 65 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 61k Americans.

The 114th Congress represents 319m people and has 435 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 733,000 Americans.

Yes the framers knew that the population would grow, but each representative currently represents four times as many people as each the first Congress's Senators. People bitch about lobbying and taxpayer dollars spent on Congressional staff, but it's loving insane that we ask 435 people to run the legislature.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Covok posted:

What you're saying is that we can't let lazy people be politicans.

That's gonna be hard.

Politicians are human animals just like the rest of us. It's really easy to put someone like Jill Stein or Bernie Sanders on a pedestal when you've got plenty of more average and below-average no-name hacks, morons, and incompetents roaming the halls of the Capitol building with their hands on their respective keys to power.

Just... let that one sink in for a moment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oh my god. Has SNL turned into not poo poo this election cycle? The debate sketches were great.

SNL is p much always not poo poo during the election year.

Also SNL was always pretty bad, except for the good skits that you remember, while conveniently forgetting the bad stuff in the old show.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What's a confetti wand?

Party favor. Tube filled with confetti.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A Winner is Jew posted:

That's so easy and pointless, it would be the equivalent of T-ball in this analogy. Just practice for clowning on Trump supporters constantly and repeatedly, and ultimately not too satisfying.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I don't even want to think about Trump after this loving election.

Besides, our rhetorical guns should shift toward all of the Actually Existing office-holding Republicans who are shredding the social safety net and brutalizing abortion access across the country.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Is it fair to defend Trump supporters as being especially susceptible to mob mentality? The argument of "People don’t normally think like this, and normally wouldn’t do/say the things they have done/said, but as Johnathan Haid said, we tend to be more surrounded by like-minded people, and I think it makes it easier for people to build upon each other," seems a bit optimistic and nice and all. And while I don't doubt that this election cycle is making some people more sexist/racist, I would like to know if there is any convincing evidence to point to and say, "People were always like this, they just got a bigger voice now."

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 4, 2016

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

He is a Trump supporter so...

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What's a confetti wand?

Think Roman candle, only you flick it and confetti flies all over creation. I used them last year in an opera and it's one of the most satisfying things you can do without risking blowing your thumbs off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would you assume 50/50 is the true mean that it would regress back to?

I also haven't carefully checked, but whoever was saying it's oscillations around a 74% Clinton win is I think seeing coincidence. The up trends were all around obvious events (convention, debates) and then as time passed those bumps faded, right? As enthusiasm waxes and wanes, different proportions of voters pass the likely voter threshold, so it isn't like the model is saying every debate converted Trump voters to Hillary and then they changed their minds back. Not sure we should read the median chances as the true probability either, though it is more reasonable than assuming 50% if those are the only options.

Finally, I like that Cingulate is sticking up for the model, because I do think many are not being fair to Nate or it. Talk of him changing things in the model day by day is not at all fair. But (1) that doesn't mean the model doesn't have problems or (2) that Nate's/538's punditry isn't questionable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just heard the term "Reagan Democrat" on CNN. Am I correct in assuming this is the "nice" way of saying "reprehensible rear end in a top hat white male, but one that still has the tiniest sense of shame?"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Young Hegelian posted:

A system that rewards the Old Boys' Club the way ours does is bullshit, I will grant you that. I think that any discussion of effective governance HAS to account for the fact that our legislature is stupidly small.

The First Congress represented 4m people (1790 census) and seated, at its largest, 65 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 61k Americans.

The 114th Congress represents 319m people and has 435 representatives, for a ratio of 1 representative for every 733,000 Americans.

Yes the framers knew that the population would grow, but each representative currently represents four times as many people as each the first Congress's Senators. People bitch about lobbying and taxpayer dollars spent on Congressional staff, but it's loving insane that we ask 435 people to run the legislature.

Isn't that also the Republican's fault, because increasing the number of representatives gives places like California even more power? I remember someone talking about something like that in this or the last thread.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Think Roman candle, only you flick it and confetti flies all over creation. I used them last year in an opera and it's one of the most satisfying things you can do without risking blowing your thumbs off.

I had to vacuum confetti out of a carpet once though, so it just brings back painful memories

At least it's not glitter :gonk:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pastrymancy posted:

I had to vacuum confetti out of a carpet once though, so it just brings back painful memories

At least it's not glitter :gonk:

Yes, the downside of that kinda party favor. Sucks to be the one to clean it up. Please don't use confetti wands in carpeted environments.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

PT6A posted:

I just heard the term "Reagan Democrat" on CNN. Am I correct in assuming this is the "nice" way of saying "reprehensible rear end in a top hat white male, but one that still has the tiniest sense of shame?"

It's northern white Catholic men who finally had enough money and suburban stability and racism to leave the Democrats in the 80s and vote Reagan.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because all of the trends have consistently revolved within the margin of error of the mean.

The other thing is the fact that gaining supporters yesterday does not, in any way, indicate that he'll gain supporters today!

The people in this thread talking about trend lines would lose SO MUCH MONEY day trading

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Young Hegelian posted:

On the off-chance, do you have stats on comparable developed countries like Germany or the UK for their respective MP:constituent ratios? I'm curious but also feeling really lazy right now to look it up myself, especially after my last few effort-posts explaining lobbying to Goons. :effort:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Young Hegelian posted:

If those numbers are accurate thats alot more than 4 times as many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

What SNL has done is put Kate McKinnon more and more in sketch after sketch after sketch.

The Tom Hanks episode is one of the best full episodes of SNL in a long time IMO

• Locked thread