Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dick Trauma posted:

Hmm I remember that guy now that you mention him. Makes me wonder if there are any other supervillains based on swinging their big balls around.

Giant-size Man-Thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

darthbob88 posted:

I thought that was Thunderball, AKA Dr Eliot Franklin, AKA the Black Bruce Banner, a well-read genius who could very reasonably quote Shakespeare and Frederick Douglass.

It is.

During a battle in London, Thunderball tries to kill a wounded Captain America. Kelsey Leigh saves him using the shield but dies due to the shock of the impacts. Kelsey later returns as a new Captain Britain and seemingly kills Thunderball but he survives. It is, however, revealed that this Thunderball either is Mordred, the ally of Morgana le Fay, or Franklin possessed by him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't read nearly enough Marvel in my life, has there been much other cases of Thunderball being so erudite in the heat of battle? Most of my (admittedly limited) experience with him has been like, the whole Crew goes after Hulk at once or whatever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

robziel posted:

I think he would get frustrated because no one could figure it out (when it's SO SIMPLE!), and because no one can figure it out attendance drops so he goes back to his old habits.

I figure attendance records would drop after it turns out that he forgot to make his escape rooms not death traps.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Sonic Megadrive - The Next Levels

It's only two pages but it's a very good fight

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every panel I've seen of this book so far is Sonic getting his rear end kicked. I like it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I will only read a Sonic comic if rings fly everywhere every time he takes a hit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

I don't read nearly enough Marvel in my life, has there been much other cases of Thunderball being so erudite in the heat of battle? Most of my (admittedly limited) experience with him has been like, the whole Crew goes after Hulk at once or whatever.

Nah. My best guess is someone told Chuck Austen that Thunderball was actually kinda smart and college educated, unlike the rest of the wrecking crew, so he took that to mean that he was some kind of mega-genius who had memorized every book ever written.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Onmi posted:

They got the sound effects on the Sonic Dash perfect, I could hear it in my head just reading the panels.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah. My best guess is someone told Chuck Austen that Thunderball was actually kinda smart and college educated, unlike the rest of the wrecking crew, so he took that to mean that he was some kind of mega-genius who had memorized every book ever written.

Chuck Austen was writing in the 70s? And calling himself Len Wein?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Chuck Austen was writing in the 70s? And calling himself Len Wein?

I got confused about what we were talking about, clearly.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

It's possible I was being too sarcastic there. I don't know if Austen wrote the Shakespeare-quoting scene posted earlier, but Thunderball's origin story includes successfully designing a miniature gamma bomb. Dude's up there in the brains department.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure they read a lot of Shakespeare at whatever technical college he went to.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nothing like being stuck with a prison library to get a smart guy a minor in classic English lit, honestly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I've never known a really really smart person who wasn't hungry enough to diversify their interests.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure they read a lot of Shakespeare at whatever technical college he went to.

You can get a PhD at a technical college?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
no don't you get it guys smart people are only smart at one thing ever especially in comic books where a guy can be a biochemist who talks to ants but also invent artificial intelligence

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, the actual A-bomb test had Oppenheimer spontaneously quoting the Bhagavad Gita. Brilliant scientists are frequently widely read.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In comic books especially, being smart is a superpower and basically anything you do with it can be handwaved as "S/He's really smart okay"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

I am super appreciating this art style
Also yes the hit sound on bosses is best described as BRAKK

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is a rare opportunity for me to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lea-Dx6b5Y

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

I mean, the actual A-bomb test had Oppenheimer spontaneously quoting the Bhagavad Gita. Brilliant scientists are frequently widely read.

thank you for learning me something

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Well, now they have the internet so I wonder if that might change.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Well, now they have the internet so I wonder if that might change.

Because they can access a much larger variety of texts much more easily?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chaos Hippy posted:

Because they can access a much larger variety of texts much more easily?

They're more likely to be arguing in comment threads on blog posts, about xkcd/smbc comics or TV tropes.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I like to think Oppenheimer would start up a youtube channel in the style of the red hot nickel ball guy, but using uranium.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I've never known a really really smart person who wasn't hungry enough to diversify their interests.

Tony Stark probably doesn't read a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I Love Loosies posted:

I bet he's one of those assholes who thinks books on tape are the same as reading a book.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

I Love Loosies posted:

Not anymore he doesn't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Tony reads but doesn't really care because he's always been a know it all. Reed cares but it's a bit too autistic to internalize the finer details.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I bet the Iron Man suit has vape rigs built into the helmet, what do you think?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Stark the kinda arrogant rear end in a top hat who'd devise a way to get high off his own farts

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"Hey Yinsen, I've got a plan. Check this out."
"It's... A suit? You're going to use it to escape?"
"Uhhh... Yeah. Yeah, that's what it's for."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Saw this while strolling back through the thread

ArchRanger posted:

You left out the next few panels, which are my favorite part of the entire issue.

Subtle as a sledgehammer but I love it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Captain America 296

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Captain America 296

So he's beating a fat guy to death and then feels bad about it, while thinking about Bucky?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got confused and thought Bucky was beating him to death really smugly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Captain America 296

I have no idea what's going on here and why it's badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Sorry should have added this http://geeksout.org/blogs/aaron-tabak/forgotten-gay-characters-captain-americas-gay-pal-arnie-roth