Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Crow Jane posted:

I think if there's a positive to this election (besides Hillary becoming president), it's that a whole lot of stuff is in the open now. It didn't happen in a vacuum, obviously, but I think a lot of people are actually thinking about issues relating to racism and sexism more than they may have in the past. Whether that'll stick with that is up for debate, but I can't help seeing it as a positive. My eyes are certainly more open than they were a few years ago, fwiw

it'll be interesting watching the gop toss trump down the george w bush memory hole next wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

We all know what "urban" is code for.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Unmotiviated millennials? I've been trying to find a job in my field that pays me enough to live for a year now, and in the meantime I've been working a part time job at a pretty piss poor rate while getting screwed out of paychecks by doing freelance writing. Both of those combined are not enough to pay rent/utilities/insurance/bills. gently caress HIM.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a FREE RAP CONCERT.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

What the gently caress? Jay-Z is like the embodiment of the American dream. Grew up a poor kid, used his talent at music to get himself going and spun that into a recording empire. Dude's a perfect example of the kind of protestant work ethic success stuff America eats up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

5436 posted:

Hillary up 5% in markets today, anything happen news or polling wise or early voting numbers? That's a large jump.
People start seeing Comey as a partisan hack. Our smear campaign against the FBI is working excellently.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dexo posted:

Like Obama caught hell for having loving Common do stuff with him.

Imagine how white you have to be to feel threatened by Common

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axeil posted:

What the gently caress? Jay-Z is like the embodiment of the American dream. Grew up a poor kid, used his talent at music to get himself going and spun that into a recording empire. Dude's a perfect example of the kind of protestant work ethic success stuff America eats up.

Yeah but he's not white.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

it'll be interesting watching the gop toss trump down the george w bush memory hole next wednesday

The big question is whether Bill will smilingly pose with Trump in eight years time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Geostomp posted:

So now we have someone openly stating that our highest levels of law enforcement are nothing but shills to a yam golem while bragging about their role restarting this non-scandal and little is likely to come form it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there's a cabal of stupid misogynistic boys' club morons who think they can intimidate the doting grandmother into letting them go hog wild whenever they want after she takes office.

Boy, are they in for a surprise.

also

Covok posted:

On the day after the election, they'll be 90% and Nate will post an article about how he can't discount that Trump supporters would lead an armed revolution before next year.

ftfy

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not exactly, bad months for Hillary like June/September took the chances down to the low 60s.
Good months for Hillary took the polls to high 70s/80s

The 73.4% is the mean during the downtimes with no beneficial news to either side. If the shifts in percentages were only due to positive Hillary events you would be right, but the median also considers the two times the news dropped Hillary's chances.

Also, keep in mind 73.4 is only the median for 538, which has a lot of unpredictability. Medians for every other aggregate are much higher. Nate's model factors high uncertainty, but that uncertainity seems to rotate within the margin of error of the high 70s

I see what you mean, and me calling it coincidence was not quite correct (as in not quite what I meant to say). I meant more that assuming the true probability is around the median is not quite right, because there have been meaningful events that have pushed the probability in each direction. Since we can't assume each piece of news on either side is equivalent, we can't say something like "the first debate was great for Hillary so she reached 85% and the first FBI email non-indictment press conference was great for Trump and Hillary's chances went down to 65%, so the true probability is 75%". If there were no relevant events happening ever, I think we could take the mean and be fairly happy with that as an estimate of the true probability. But the odds have been pushed in both directions numerous times and by unknown deviations from the true probability, so we can't easily infer the "baseline"/true probability just by taking the mean. It took way more words to write out, but that's the sort of thing I was trying to bring up originally.

As for 538 vs other aggregators, absolutely. I buy into the reasons why it's too uncertain and too bullish on Trump relative to others, and think those are legit. But I agree with Cingulate that it isn't shook Nate pushing the levers each day differently, or making some huge change to the model because he was embarrassed by the primaries. It's assumptions or methods that worked well in 2008 and 12, but that don't deal well with high undecided voters, or something like that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

axeil posted:

b-b-b-b-b-b--b-b-but Drugs!!!!!!!!!!

and he's black

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Joking aside these are not great numbers for Clinton, being up only 4 points in a poll with a major D lean like PPP.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

DaveWoo posted:

PPP came out with a bunch of good numbers for Hillary in several swing states, and early voting in Nevada has pretty much clinched the state for her.

theflyingorc posted:

Lots of good polls, narrative from Nevada early voting is that it's basically impossible for her to lose there.

Thanks, that makes sense over.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm pretty sure the huge fall for Hillary in the prediction markets was people trying to get good odds on a trump win, when it'd been favoring Hillary for a while. Now that it's looking like the Trump-trend has halted, you have people who are convinced Hillary will win taking advantage of better bets than previously.

The markets aren't as speculative as people think and USUALLY move on information.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PST posted:

UK: 650 MPs which is 1 for every 90k people.

France (lower House): 577 députés which is 1 for every 115k people

Germany: 631 in the Bundestag, which is 1 for every 120k people

Do those legislatures have assigned constituencies the way US congressmen do?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jay-Z is on his first marriage and is a self-made billionaire

you'd think he'd be like the ur-Republican, but :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:bahgawd: Silent Majority!

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I really hope he's not necessary to retake the senate - if so all hope is lost.

I really don't understand what his appeal was supposed to be. Like, he's a dem (albeit a lovely one) and will vote the party line, that's enough for me, but to your average Indiana voter he's a sleazy lobbyist who follows the money and spent his last year in the senate exclusively job hunting. Like I hate that his Republican opponent is zeroing in on that line of criticism and is 100% correct in his assessment.

He's a former Indiana governor and senator. A popular one, too. Methinks that was the appeal.

But Bayh is an insider running in the year of the outsider. In a red state, which Trump is going to win easily. And Todd Young happens to be a fresh face. A fresh face full of crow's feet, but a fresh face nonetheless. And he gets to thump his chest and say, "Ooh-rah" because he's a former US Marine. Power to him, but he still isn't my man.

I'm debating on volunteering Monday/Tuesday. Never done it before, but I've never felt like the future of the country and the world was more at stake, so it's kind of motivating me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

As for 538 vs other aggregators, absolutely. I buy into the reasons why it's too uncertain and too bullish on Trump relative to others, and think those are legit. But I agree with Cingulate that it isn't shook Nate pushing the levers each day differently, or making some huge change to the model because he was embarrassed by the primaries. It's assumptions or methods that worked well in 2008 and 12, but that don't deal well with high undecided voters, or something like that.

Oh totally

I completely agree that Nate came to his model honestly, and he may even be right about why he did it. I am just personally erring on the side of the majority of aggregates of which Nate is dead last.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

axeil posted:

But you're forgetting: old white people really really loving hate hip-hop.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TheScott2K posted:

People who actually care about "the size of government" are a pretty small subset of actual Republicans.

Oh really? Okay, imagine proposing that we need to inflate the number of Representatives and Senators by an exponential amount and for them to go back to their constituents with the good news.

Dude would be primaried so hard Eric Cantor would be taking notes. Genuine Big Government watchdog true-believers might be rare, but every politician cares and worries about not getting primaried and will adjust positions to achieve that outcome.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Joking aside these are not great numbers for Clinton, being up only 4 points in a poll with a major D lean like PPP.

They are down a little but they are also down compared to the height of Clinton's chances when the last PPP poll was held.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

But you're forgetting: old white people really really loving hate hip-hop.

See: CMAs and Beyonce

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Katy Perry, J-Lo, The National and I think a few others also did/are doing GOTV concerts for Hillary this week. Wonder why Trump's only mad about Jay-Z? :allears:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dexo posted:

I mean that's actually a smart line of attack.

I am loving shocked that the conservatives haven't been pushing the hell out of the fact that Hillary was having Pusha on the campaign trail with Tim Kaine. Like seriously

Like Obama caught hell for having loving Common do stuff with him.

"She's partnering with a person who literally claims to have at one point been a Crack dealer" is a pretty strong line of attack, regardless of how fair that attack is.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jay-Z flaunts his ability to skirt the law and objectifies women by their appearance while bragging frequently about his sexual conquests. He also frequently advertises his wealth and is known to get into long drawn out feuds with other media figures.

Clearly Trump is right, no one like that should be admired

jk Hova rules

I was about to give you such a posting :argh:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because all of the trends have consistently revolved within the margin of error of the mean.
Globally you see regression to the mean, but locally you see a different trend.

Crowsbeak posted:

They were certainty in the lead in the leadup to Jo Cox's death. Trump has been struggling most of this election.
They were behind for the vast majority.

Periodiko posted:

Setting this aside, Trump has never had as good a showing as Leave did in polling, if Trump wins it's a massive upset of a much larger scope than Brexit
Of a somewhat larger scope. Brexit was approximately a 4-point error. Trump could actually win with that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

2016 is the year Obama found a loophole in the Constitution and ran for a third term... as a Republican.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

theflyingorc posted:

"She's partnering with a person who literally claims to have at one point been a Crack dealer" is a pretty strong line of attack, regardless of how fair that attack is.

Who cares? I know a crack dealer, and the fact that he sells crack is one of the least objectionable things about him. Crackheads gotta get their crack somewhere, ya know?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

The Common attacks backfired badly. The GOP doesn't want to seem older and more out of touch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Imagine how white you have to be to feel threatened by Common

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFX/status/786072003748978688

This White

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Because there are two candidates, so absent any strong feelings about the candidates there's a 50% chance of choosing either. If you did a bunch of analysis of voter demographics and such you might determine a more refined number, but it would still be much closer to 50% than 74%.

Maybe her numbers will revert up after email news fades. Maybe nobody gave a crap about emails and the numbers continue reverting down. Pretending we know one way or the other is foolish.

This isn't a coin flip with two equal outcomes, though. There are all kinds of predictors (economic, incumbent party, etc) that make one or the other generic D or R candidate more favored. Beyond that, these are two actual, non-hypothetical candidates. Even in the absence of any campaigning or outside events, I highly doubt voters would split 50/50 between the two. Keep in mind any deviation from 50/50 voting will make for a much larger change in probability of winning. A true voting probability of 50.1 to 49.9 is a 100% chance the 50.1 wins. If the preference for Clinton is 52 to Trump's 48, and we're pretty confident in that, a very close to even split in voter preference is a very high probability of Clinton win. I think you might be partially conflating those two.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Title was originally "Panders to the Blacks and Unmotivated Millennials", but someone edited it to the more acceptable dog whistle language.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Pastrymancy posted:

I had to vacuum confetti out of a carpet once though, so it just brings back painful memories

At least it's not glitter :gonk:

Jesus, we're not Savages.

I also made sure this wasn't Mylar. And I own a shop vac. Our celebration is humane.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Right into my veins.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Crow Jane posted:

Katy Perry, J-Lo, The National and I think a few others also did/are doing GOTV concerts for Hillary this week. Wonder why Trump's only mad about Jay-Z? :allears:
He has more money than Trump?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but he's not white.

He does sling a lot of white though

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

I mean that's actually a smart line of attack.

I am loving shocked that the conservatives haven't been pushing the hell out of the fact that Hillary was having Pusha on the campaign trail with Tim Kaine. Like seriously

somehow i seriously doubt there's a sizable contingent of republicans jamming re-up gang mixtapes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trump, in one sentence: "The system is rigged ... my opponent shouldn't be allowed to run."

What the loving hell is wrong with this man and the people who support him? This is just utter madness. And the "lock her up" chants are utterly disgusting, I don't see how any person, even one with political views I disagree with, can see that or participate in that without being sickened and ashamed of what's happening to American democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bloops Crusts posted:

He's a former Indiana governor and senator. A popular one, too. Methinks that was the appeal.

But Bayh is an insider running in the year of the outsider. In a red state, which Trump is going to win easily. And Todd Young happens to be a fresh face. A fresh face full of crow's feet, but a fresh face nonetheless. And he gets to thump his chest and say, "Ooh-rah" because he's a former US Marine. Power to him, but he still isn't my man.

I'm debating on volunteering Monday/Tuesday. Never done it before, but I've never felt like the future of the country and the world was more at stake, so it's kind of motivating me.

I mean even Mike Pence was once popular enough to be our governor - is there data on how much goodwill there was left for Bayh after he hosed off?

Good luck with your volunteering, I hope it goes well and selling Bayh to undecided voters in Indiana isn't the Sisyphean task I imagine it to be.

• Locked thread