Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ogmius815 posted:

Joking aside these are not great numbers for Clinton, being up only 4 points in a poll with a major D lean like PPP.

Public Policy Polling has a slight baked in Trump lean, dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Forgall posted:

He has more money than Trump?
*net assets

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Common attacks backfired badly. The GOP doesn't want to seem older and more out of touch.

Common was in commercials for The GAP and wrote slam poetry.

Jay-Z claims he sold hundreds of thousands of dollars of drugs.

They are both dumb attacks, but the ones against Common had nothing there. This has a fig leaf and that's all they need to not back off.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

theflyingorc posted:

Public Policy Polling has a slight baked in Trump lean, dummy

I stand corrected. I assumed the had a D lean because they are a democratic polling firm.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I was about to give you such a posting :argh:

It was a Trump joke lol

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agrajag posted:

We all know what "urban" is code for.

Hipsters

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

They were behind for the vast majority.

Of a somewhat larger scope. Brexit was approximately a 4-point error. Trump could actually win with that.

Was that a 4 point error on the day of the vote, day before, week before? And is that an aggregate number or a particular poll? I am honestly asking because I don't know.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Globally you see regression to the mean, but locally you see a different trend.

They were behind for the vast majority.

Of a somewhat larger scope. Brexit was approximately a 4-point error. Trump could actually win with that.

The polls show actually not. They were barely behind.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do those legislatures have assigned constituencies the way US congressmen do?

In Germany the answer is yes and no. Everyone lives in a district which gets its own representative. This makes up, like, 50% of the Bundestag. The remaining 50% is apportioned according to the national popular vote, which each party having a list of candidates who get functionally "at large" seats.

"Half of the Members of the Bundestag are elected directly from 299 constituencies (first-past-the-post system), the other half are elected from the parties’ Land lists in such a way as to achieve proportional representation for the total Bundestag (if possible).

Accordingly, each voter has two votes in the elections to the Bundestag. The first vote, allowing voters to elect their local representatives to the Bundestag, decides which candidates are sent to Parliament from the constituencies.

The second vote is cast for a party list; it determines the relative strengths of the parties represented in the Bundestag.

At least 598 Members of the Bundestag are elected in this way. Parties that gain more than 5% of the second votes or win at least 3 direct mandates are allocated seats in the Bundestag in proportion to the number of votes it has received (d'Hondt method until 1987, largest remainder method until the 2005 election, now Sainte-Laguë method).

In addition to this, there are certain circumstances in which some candidates win what are known as overhang seats when the seats are being distributed. If a party has gained more direct mandates in a Land than it is entitled to according to the results of the second vote, it does not forfeit these mandates because all directly elected candidates are guaranteed a seat in the Bundestag."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestag#Distribution_of_seats_by_party_in_the_17th_Bundestag_.282009_to_2013.29

The 5% rule is interesting because it's a direct result of the Nazis, if I recall correctly. The idea is that by barring parties that can't get 5% nationally you reduce the risk of a minor party getting an outsized platform for expressing demagogic views.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

axeil posted:

What the gently caress? Jay-Z is like the embodiment of the American dream. Grew up a poor kid, used his talent at music to get himself going and spun that into a recording empire. Dude's a perfect example of the kind of protestant work ethic success stuff America eats up.

The American Dream has ever been bootstraps.

Its having rich and dead parents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The cost of the Planned Parenthood Investigation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eugene-gu-research-congress_us_581a3d79e4b01a82df6460de

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

5436 posted:

Hillary up 5% in markets today, anything happen news or polling wise or early voting numbers? That's a large jump.

Everything is based partly on expectations, and partly on polling, which is necessarily on a delay. So she fell as polling normalized and expectations that the Comey letter would have an impact were high. Now that the polls have finished dropping to normal levels and nobody is caring about the FBI stuff, betting markets are seeing her as safe again.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Which in itself is code for young people :argh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Covok posted:

On the day after the election, they'll be 100%.

Not if it comes down to Florida again :getin:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
FYI volunteering for GOTV feels amazing and is a great way to find a safe space to air your leftist liberal views openly and without restraint around like-minded hard-working people.

I strongly, strongly recommend it! :D

I'm hoping to make a few new friends before Tuesday so we have a drinking posse together for livestreaming Election Night results.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 4, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PT6A posted:

Who cares? I know a crack dealer, and the fact that he sells crack is one of the least objectionable things about him. Crackheads gotta get their crack somewhere, ya know?

quote:

But where there's demand, someone will supply
So I feed them their needs at the same time cry
Yes it pains me to see them need this
All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus
Deepest regret and sympathy to the street
I see them pay for they fix when they kids couldn't eat (so sorry)
And with this in mind, I still didn't quit
And that's how I know, that I ain't poo poo (I ain't poo poo)
My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact
I live for my kids and theirs and them youngins after that

God Clipse was so loving good.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are both dumb attacks, but the ones against Common had nothing there. This has a fig leaf and that's all they need to not back off.

Man Hov lost 92 bricks, had to fall back and still managed to crawl make it to the top of the music game

If that aint the american dream I don't know what is.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I stand corrected. I assumed the had a D lean because they are a democratic polling firm.

You forgot that a fundamental part of being a politically-involved liberal/lefty is deep-seated self-loathing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PT6A posted:

Trump, in one sentence: "The system is rigged ... my opponent shouldn't be allowed to run."

What the loving hell is wrong with this man and the people who support him? This is just utter madness. And the "lock her up" chants are utterly disgusting, I don't see how any person, even one with political views I disagree with, can see that or participate in that without being sickened and ashamed of what's happening to American democracy.
He's going to lose his bid for Presidency in an historic rear end-kicking and America will elect its first female President - that's American democracy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Monopsony!
https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/794356761885110273
https://twitter.com/Neil_Irwin/status/794558689789280256
Labor market monopsony is the idea that when there isn’t enough competition among businesses, it is bad news for workers. When an industry includes only a few big companies, they don’t have to compete with one another as hard to attract employees — and so end up paying their workers less than they would if there were true competition. It’s the flip side of how monopoly power lets companies charge higher prices to consumers.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, and when they was short with the cheese he would work with them. That's just bad capitalism. Donald Trump wouldn't pay people for work they actually did, but Jay Z is giving discounts? What lessons are we teaching our children?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Abducting poors and harvesting their organs through Zetas funding "tough on crime" types is more cost effective, but I'm really surprised at the lengths they'd go to protect THAT racket.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Now that the Cubs have won the World Series, baseball can be packed up and this can become the new national pastime.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I thought that was going to be ripping on Ted Cruz. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTcHpPDCu8

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Crowsbeak posted:

But Norm Macdonald is funny.

I have some bad news for you...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I highly doubt voters would split 50/50 between the two. Keep in mind any deviation from 50/50 voting will make for a much larger change in probability of winning. A true voting probability of 50.1 to 49.9 is a 100% chance the 50.1 wins. If the preference for Clinton is 52 to Trump's 48, and we're pretty confident in that, a very close to even split in voter preference is a very high probability of Clinton win.

Sure, if you have some reason to be confident in that. You could also point out that Trump has been making bad press constantly to boost Clinton's numbers, and this might be only the first or second week since the primaries that Trump has stayed out of the spotlight.

Young Hegelian posted:

In Germany the answer is yes and no.
Great summary, thanks.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 4, 2016

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
So I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Ohio is suddenly trending red. We went for Obama +5 in 2008 and +3 in 2012, and Hillary has had an equivalent ground game and presence here. And John Kasich was one of the few holdouts that never endorsed Trump, for what that's worth. I guess my question is, how much should I drink on election night?

Also, if one more person tells me the old saying, "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation"...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

So is there any reason to NOT continue freaking out about the FBI aka stasi?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kilroy posted:

He's going to lose his bid for Presidency in an historic rear end-kicking and America will elect its first female President - that's American democracy.

Very true, but the fact that Trump can come this close (in that he's nominee, not that's he's likely to win) and get media coverage while doing these disgusting things, is scary enough for me, thanks.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Which in itself is code for young people :argh:

Even though the people who could have accurately been described as hipsters are like 35 now lol

One of my favorite things is how long some "youth culture" signifier endures in the minds of old farts. You still see newspaper cartoonists drawing teenagers wearing giant JNCO pants and backwards baseball caps, and I know when I was a kid you'd still see a lot of drawings of teenagers in bell-bottomed hippie gear still

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr. Belding posted:

Yes, and when they was short with the cheese he would work with them. That's just bad capitalism. Donald Trump wouldn't pay people for work they actually did, but Jay Z is giving discounts? What lessons are we teaching our children?

It's why Hov is a democrat. He understands the fact that it's better to have consumer base that's willing and able to spend, It's sometimes smart business to not maximize profits to keep happy customers who keep coming back. Rather than bleeding people dry to the point where they can no longer buy from you.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Trump, in one sentence: "The system is rigged ... my opponent shouldn't be allowed to run."

What the loving hell is wrong with this man and the people who support him? This is just utter madness. And the "lock her up" chants are utterly disgusting, I don't see how any person, even one with political views I disagree with, can see that or participate in that without being sickened and ashamed of what's happening to American democracy.

They're not satisfied with "lock her up" anymore:

https://twitter.com/Philip_Elliott/status/794584204151549956

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Donald Trump continously refuses to pay his contractors for services rendered.

Meanwhile. Jay-Z is still paying Memphis Bleek.

Advantage: hova

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

Was that a 4 point error on the day of the vote, day before, week before? And is that an aggregate number or a particular poll? I am honestly asking because I don't know.
IIRC, on the day or two before, the mean of polls was 50:50, and Leave won by 4.

Crowsbeak posted:

The polls show actually not. They were barely behind.
Brexit had an average Remain lead of ~2 or so points, and on the last few days it was (following a brief stint of Leave ahead by 1 or so) tied.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol it was a meeting of Trudeau, Obama, and EPN and they looked dumb doing a three-way handshake. It's a propos of nothing.

Glad sometimes a goofy, awkward photo is just a goofy, awkward photo. :unsmith:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Agrajag posted:

So is there any reason to NOT continue freaking out about the FBI aka stasi?

he's posting links from the daily caller.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

badatom posted:

So I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Ohio is suddenly trending red. We went for Obama +5 in 2008 and +3 in 2012, and Hillary has had an equivalent ground game and presence here. And John Kasich was one of the few holdouts that never endorsed Trump, for what that's worth. I guess my question is, how much should I drink on election night?

Also, if one more person tells me the old saying, "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation"...
Every time I saw someone ask this previously, the answer (though unsubstantiated) was that specifically Ohio was the bastion of the type of Rust Belt white dude who Trump is perfectly targeting.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The positioning of the hands and work helmet instantly made me think of Goatse before I even realized where my mind was going.

This loving dead comedy website has broken my brain. :geno:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pastrymancy posted:

I had to vacuum confetti out of a carpet once though, so it just brings back painful memories

At least it's not glitter :gonk:

glitter is the herpes of arts & crafts

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm seeing a story about Giuliani admitting the Trump campaign is getting inside information from the FBI, but I can't watch at work. Does this have legs?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Every time I saw someone ask this previously, the answer (though unsubstantiated) was that specifically Ohio was the bastion of the type of Rust Belt white dude who Trump is perfectly targeting.

Why do you say that's unsubstantiated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Even though the people who could have accurately been described as hipsters are like 35 now lol

I regularly get called a hipster for I guess listening to new music and going to the movies. I don't even buy clothes v often or wear hats or anything :saddowns:

I was also called a hipster on a national late night show here, because I had a charity moustache. There is no winning

• Locked thread