Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

DaveWoo posted:

They're not satisfied with "lock her up" anymore:

https://twitter.com/Philip_Elliott/status/794584204151549956

:stare: but growing infinitely until it consumes the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dexo posted:

It's why Hov is a democrat. He understands the fact that it's better to have consumer base that's willing and able to spend, It's sometimes smart business to not maximize profits to keep happy customers who keep coming back. Rather than bleeding people dry to the point where they can no longer buy from you.

Love to sling keynesian economic principles

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

badatom posted:

So I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Ohio is suddenly trending red. We went for Obama +5 in 2008 and +3 in 2012, and Hillary has had an equivalent ground game and presence here. And John Kasich was one of the few holdouts that never endorsed Trump, for what that's worth. I guess my question is, how much should I drink on election night?

Also, if one more person tells me the old saying, "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation"...

Ohio is full of retards, sorry

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I regularly get called a hipster for I guess listening to new music and going to the movies. I don't even buy clothes v often or wear hats or anything :saddowns:

I was also called a hipster on a national late night show here, because I had a charity moustache. There is no winning

Well those people are using hipster entirely wrong and you can tell them I said so. :colbert: "Hipster" was a specific thing that died ca. 2007. You could no more be a hipster than a slacker or a yuppie.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

It's why Hov is a democrat. He understands the fact that it's better to have consumer base that's willing and able to spend, It's sometimes smart business to not maximize profits to keep happy customers who keep coming back. Rather than bleeding people dry to the point where they can no longer buy from you.

This makes me wonder how Stringer Bell would have voted

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I regularly get called a hipster for I guess listening to new music and going to the movies. I don't even buy clothes v often or wear hats or anything :saddowns:

I was also called a hipster on a national late night show here, because I had a charity moustache. There is no winning
Why don't you go listen to some Modest Mouse about it?

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Dexo posted:

Izzo is at its heart a treaties on Keynesianism.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WeAreTheRomans posted:

shut up, nobody wants to listen to you talk about your new artisenal flannel shirt, razor, and moustache care products.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So assuming Hillary wins and the Republicans try and impeach her, should we just nuke the US and get it over with?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This loving dead comedy website has broken my brain. :geno:

Where has this been coming from lately? Is the forum dead? Am I dead? What's happening?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
1000 years of liberal darkness.

Please let that upward tic be a trend and not a fluke.
(It's mostly the PPP numbers I think.)

Hunt11 posted:

So assuming Hillary wins and the Republicans try and impeach her, should we just nuke the US and get it over with?
Please don't, everyone in Mexico/Canada will get cancer

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

One of my favorite things is how long some "youth culture" signifier endures in the minds of old farts. You still see newspaper cartoonists drawing teenagers wearing giant JNCO pants and backwards baseball caps
I saw some dude at the zoo dressed like that just the other day. I guess he was a little older than me - his kids were older than mine at any rate. I mentally filed him as "time-travelling middle-schooler from the nineties" and went to take some pictures of cheetahs.

Zoos are depressing though :smith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

a shameful boehner posted:

John Franklin Stephens
The hardest thing about having an intellectual disability is the loneliness. We process information slower than everyone else. So even normal conversation is a constant battle for us not to lose touch with what the rest of you are saying. Most of the time the words and thoughts just go too fast for us to keep up, and when we finally say something it seems out of place.

We are aware when all the rest of you stop and just look at us. We are aware when you look at us and just say, “unh huh,” and then move on, talking to each other. You mean no harm, but you have no idea how alone we feel even when we are with you.

That is why I love being a Global Messenger. I work for days telling my dad what I want to talk about and he tries to write it down for me. Then we do it over and over until we have something that says what I mean. We wrote this letter the same way.

So, what’s wrong with “retard”? I can only tell you what it means to me and people like me when we hear it. It means that the rest of you are excluding us from your group. We are something that is not like you and something that none of you would ever want to be. We are something outside the “in” group. We are someone that is not your kind.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Well those people are using hipster entirely wrong and you can tell them I said so. :colbert: "Hipster" was a specific thing that died ca. 2007. You could no more be a hipster than a slacker or a yuppie.

Then what the gently caress am I? Some gay dudes told me I was an otter but that doesn't seem right either. I can't handle just being an awkward white male age 30-49

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Hunt11 posted:

they're going to control 0 branches of government next year so this is a non-issue

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hunt11 posted:

No because the Senate would never convict.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Agrajag posted:

shut up, nobody wants to listen to you talk about your new artisenal flannel shirt, razor, and moustache care products.

Tobacco-infused beard oils are where it's at now, man. Probably.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Then what the gently caress am I? Some gay dudes told me I was an otter but that doesn't seem right either. I can't handle just being an awkward white male age 30-49

I think otters are supposed to be hot so roll with that v:shobon:v

I think the crushing reality of adulthood is that you don't get to be an anything anymore. You are just a man.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

John Franklin Stephens
The hardest thing about having an intellectual disability is the loneliness. We process information slower than everyone else. So even normal conversation is a constant battle for us not to lose touch with what the rest of you are saying. Most of the time the words and thoughts just go too fast for us to keep up, and when we finally say something it seems out of place.

We are aware when all the rest of you stop and just look at us. We are aware when you look at us and just say, “unh huh,” and then move on, talking to each other. You mean no harm, but you have no idea how alone we feel even when we are with you.

That is why I love being a Global Messenger. I work for days telling my dad what I want to talk about and he tries to write it down for me. Then we do it over and over until we have something that says what I mean. We wrote this letter the same way.

So, what’s wrong with “retard”? I can only tell you what it means to me and people like me when we hear it. It means that the rest of you are excluding us from your group. We are something that is not like you and something that none of you would ever want to be. We are something outside the “in” group. We are someone that is not your kind.

Thanks.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Kilroy posted:

they're going to control 0 branches of government next year so this is a non-issue

If this happens I will eat an arby-q.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You know how hipsters will say they listen to everything except for country and rap?

I only listen to country and rape. I am the meta hipster.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Sure, if you have some reason to be confident in that. You could also point out that Trump has been making bad press constantly to boost Clinton's numbers, and this might be only the first or second week since the primaries that Trump has stayed out of the spotlight.

I wasn't trying to argue actual numbers. At a bare minimum, assuming the candidates really don't matter, we should have some estimate for the probability the incumbent party picks up a third consecutive term. It won't be a coin flip. We should have estimates for how economic factors affect the incumbent party (and also D and R) win probabilities. We have party registrations and demographics to estimate turnout.

No election is going to be a literal coin flip, even if you ignore the candidates. If being the incumbent party seeking its third term consistently hurts you by 1 point, we now have an expectation of a 50.5 to 49.5 split, leading to some expected probability that the 50.5 side would win, given the uncertainty in our estimate of the "incumbent third term penalty." Then we see Dems have a few point registration advantage but a few point turnout disadvantage, so we can bake in those estimates. And on and on. A true coin flip win probability is just highly unlikely, so I don't think it makes any principled sense to assume it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

RIP my home state :smith:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Kilroy posted:

What are you basing this craziness on? Last I checked, the GOP does very well in midterms, and will still control the house.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I think the crushing reality of adulthood is that you don't get to be an anything anymore. You are just a man.

*Existential crisis intensifies*

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know how hipsters will say they listen to everything except for country and rap?

wat the gently caress

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr. Belding posted:

If this happens I will eat an arby-q.
quote for :toxx:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Where has this been coming from lately? Is the forum dead? Am I dead? What's happening?

We are long past our expiration date and have as much relevance and impact nowadays as a bunch of elderly people yelling at each other at a nursing home.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Essentially anyone smart with money left Ohio ages ago. And Ohio's cities aren't Blue enough to counter the red everywhere else.

Chicago and Northern Illinois are the only thing keeping Illinois from being Ohio.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm honestly surprised the House didn't vote to impeach Obama at some point.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You'd think you'd be used to being awkward after thirty years.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Inglonias posted:

What are you basing this craziness on? Last I checked, the GOP does very well in midterms, and will still control the house.

Presumably they mean republicans won't control congress since the Dems control the senate.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This makes me wonder how Stringer Bell would have voted

Not for Clay Davis for sure.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Young Hegelian posted:

The 5% rule is interesting because it's a direct result of the Nazis, if I recall correctly. The idea is that by barring parties that can't get 5% nationally you reduce the risk of a minor party getting an outsized platform for expressing demagogic views.

It's actually most often explained to be the result of the political realities of the Weimar Republic, so pre-nazis. From 1918 on there often were close to 20 different political parties in the Reichstag, which made getting anything done extraordinarily difficult. That's the common story. However the 5% rule was only adopted in '53, and some people point out that it was very effective at making sure that Adenauer's CSU party effectively became the only viable party in his neck of the woods (Bavaria).

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sounds more like a trump supporter to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

IIRC, on the day or two before, the mean of polls was 50:50, and Leave won by 4.

Brexit had an average Remain lead of ~2 or so points, and on the last few days it was (following a brief stint of Leave ahead by 1 or so) tied.

Thanks, good to know.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Tobacco-infused beard oils are where it's at now, man. Probably.

Lol there actually are tobacco-infused personal hygiene products now. I've seen deoderant and I think shampoo with my own eyes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Agrajag posted:

wat the gently caress

Me and my auto correct are gonna have to have a talk

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

John Franklin Stephens

Sorry. I wont use the term again.

I get extremely frustrated with voters in red states. Its beyond simple ignorance at this point.

You only vote Republican anymore if you have active, open malice towards Others unlike you and genuinely believe that the republic would be better off as a xenophobic nativist oligarchy.

So gently caress Republicans, and their voters too, but i will mind the phrases used better :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sherman4949/status/794573334159757312

• Locked thread