Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps it can be a fun game even if the developer is a terrible person?

it is, but some goons find it fun to whine about sjws over admitting the developer is a social retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Unless the guy is going out of his way to hate people or the game was a simulator for trumps america i don't see the drama, a hetero guy is completely out of touch with lgbt? whoa nelly - he even showed correspondence with someone having issues and he seemed more than happy to address, and follow through with the concerns.

From a business perspective its logical to protect your livelihood and passion from any self appointed judge dredd's of sexuality. Lets not pretend there aren't an army of people waiting to pounce on a perception of prejudice, even if its a line of code.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the game is a simulator for trump's America but that's not the intent I don't think.

E: fuuuck why isn't tonald drump the blone wigged creepy breathing psychopath social genius a backer character.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the game is a simulator for trump's America but that's not the intent I don't think.

lol nice

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps it can be a fun game even if the developer is a terrible person?
This is an entirely uncontroversial opinion here. Which is why it's so weird that a stream of people are coming in here and falling over themselves to mock an imaginary position rather than the real and hilarious meltdown of the developer.

Almost as if this kind of discussion elicits a certain kind of insecurity and defensiveness in some people.

Or, not "elicits," what's the word?

OwlFancier posted:

The thing about the attraction system is that looks are the only immediate modifier to it, they aren't the only modifier.

As far as I know, attraction is primarily based on how much people like each other, which is immediately influenced by looks (uggos get out, hotties get in, also being shot in the face and having a massive scar counts as being ugly) but even the drop dead gorgeous trait is overshadowed by long term interaction effects.
This is a good point. I was going to complain about a pair of people with annoying voices who hit on literally everyone else in my colony but each other. They shared a mutual hated pretty much entirely because they had annoying voices.

Like, eventually you would settle, right? And you'd have some empathy for people with your own issue, wouldn't you?

But now that I think about it they both had terrible social skills, so of course they'd never be able to get past the superficial stuff.

I still think the attraction traits (ugly, annoying voice, facial scars) give pretty absurd penalties that make them almost deadly in this hosed up relationship system, but I guess that's just a matter of unbalanced variables at this point.

Edit:

a whole buncha crows posted:

From a business perspective its logical to protect your livelihood and passion from any self appointed judge dredd's of sexuality. Lets not pretend there aren't an army of people waiting to pounce on a perception of prejudice, even if its a line of code.
Haha, what? No, let's look at why you feel the need to circle the wagons for some wierdos on tumblr and in comments sections who reach hyperbolic conclusions from a reasonable discussion.

I mean, the only hyperbolic conclusion I see here is "let us never speak of this, lest we incur their wrath." And I think it's worthy of mockery.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think people can criticize a weird system without wanting the developer to get shot or to shut the whole thing down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

This is an entirely uncontroversial opinion here. Which is why it's so weird that a stream of people are coming in here and falling over themselves to mock an imaginary position rather than the real and hilarious meltdown of the developer.

Almost as if this kind of discussion elicits a certain kind of insecurity and defensiveness in some people.

Or, not "elicits," what's the word?

This is a good point. I was going to complain about a pair of people with annoying voices who hit on literally everyone else in my colony but each other. They shared a mutual hated pretty much entirely because they had annoying voices.

Like, eventually you would settle, right? And you'd have some empathy for people with your own issue, wouldn't you?

But now that I think about it they both had terrible social skills, so of course they'd never be able to get past the superficial stuff.

I still think the attraction traits (ugly, annoying voice, facial scars) give pretty absurd penalties that make them almost deadly in this hosed up relationship system, but I guess that's just a matter of unbalanced variables at this point.

They certainly make it easier for people to get off on the wrong foot, and that means they will probably continue to get off on the wrong foot because I think people who dislike each other are more likely to be dicks to each other, which makes them dislike each other more.

Essentially in practice I find that there is a general trend towards positive relationships for most pawns, but that negative modifiers or sometimes bad luck get in the way.

If someone has a thing that makes them either create lots of bad social interactions, or an initial malus to relationships, they're more likely to end up being disliked, and thus disliking people in turn.

However the general positive force of socializing means that you can often salvage a relationship by getting both parties to separate for a while, put them on different schedules and keep them away from each other, letting their established poor relationship cool off a bit, then giving them another shot at making friends.

But, it's true that if you have some colonists who are just annoying and also if you treat social as a dump stat for most of your colonists, they will probably be a constant issue in the colony. Otherwise you can just do an intervention and probably fix just an unfortunate start to a relationship by yourself. Maybe get them both stoned or something and lock them in a room together, never tried that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 4, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

i think people can criticize a weird system without wanting the developer to get shot or to shut the whole thing down

That's way too reasonable for this thread. It doesn't even have a rant against against SJWs or MRAs.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
guy sent me a free copy of rimworld when i couldn't afford it, so i thought "woah, he's a p cool dude"

then the islam thing showed up last year and i was kinda conflicted

then i forgot about it, thinking "so yeah, he sounds a bit like a dick, but he's got some worth as a human being"

then this poo poo comes up, and im conflicted again

i am joe's battered-wife consumer cycle

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LotsBread posted:

guy sent me a free copy of rimworld when i couldn't afford it, so i thought "woah, he's a p cool dude"

then the islam thing showed up last year and i was kinda conflicted

then i forgot about it, thinking "so yeah, he sounds a bit like a dick, but he's got some worth as a human being"

then this poo poo comes up, and im conflicted again

i am joe's battered-wife consumer cycle
Well, he's an asshat, no doubt about it. But it seems like he might cave to popular pressure, so the game itself will probably (hopefully...) not reflect what an idiot he is.

It's a good game. He has some solid ideas about what makes a good base builder/story generator, even if he is a Bad Person.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Eiba posted:

Well, he's an asshat, no doubt about it. But it seems like he might cave to popular pressure, so the game itself will probably (hopefully...) not reflect what an idiot he is.

It's a good game. He has some solid ideas about what makes a good base builder/story generator, even if he is a Bad Person.

You really think he's an "asshat" and a "bad person" based on something like this? I'd say more like dumb and/or misinformed. I doubt he has malicious agendas.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Christ almighty Tylenol polyester is at worst ignorant

He isn't hitler

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The scale goes from One of the Good Ones immediately to Next-Generation Mecha Hitler. There is no inbetween.

Electric Shoes
Oct 21, 2010
I'm loving how much extra content you can splice-in with mods!

Here's my current stronghold:

It's probably time to spruce the place up and work on making a mega structure now that my spacemans are post-scarcity.

Bonus shot of my melee meat-shield that's become more machine than man thanks to bionics:

Show off your bases!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Electric Shoes posted:

I'm loving how much extra content you can splice-in with mods!

Here's my current stronghold:

It's probably time to spruce the place up and work on making a mega structure now that my spacemans are post-scarcity.

Bonus shot of my melee meat-shield that's become more machine than man thanks to bionics:

Show off your bases!

What kind of furniture is that? :stare:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Baloogan posted:

He isn't hitler

oh no, i'm just conflicted, I don't literally think he's a stain on mankind, i'm just like "well, he did give me the game for free, and its a good game, but hes saying these things, i need to gauge this internally"

Electric Shoes
Oct 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

What kind of furniture is that? :stare:

It's from Rimkea: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=769201959&searchtext=

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Eiba posted:

Edit:

Haha, what? No, let's look at why you feel the need to circle the wagons for some wierdos on tumblr and in comments sections who reach hyperbolic conclusions from a reasonable discussion.

I mean, the only hyperbolic conclusion I see here is "let us never speak of this, lest we incur their wrath." And I think it's worthy of mockery.

I just said its understandable where he is coming from, feel free to laugh at the dude hes obviously out of touch, but gently caress the article too, it's not hard to allow the guy to say his piece and then write your article around that but i guess including the correspondence where he is willing to change things to be more acceptable to lgbt would make the whole thing pointless.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TeaJay posted:

You really think he's an "asshat" and a "bad person" based on something like this? I'd say more like dumb and/or misinformed. I doubt he has malicious agendas.
Does "asshat" not mean "dumb and/or misinformed"? Sorry, I might have used the wrong term.

Calling out his dumb beliefs is not calling him Hitler.

a whole buncha crows posted:

I just said its understandable where he is coming from, feel free to laugh at the dude hes obviously out of touch, but gently caress the article too, it's not hard to allow the guy to say his piece and then write your article around that but i guess including the correspondence where he is willing to change things to be more acceptable to lgbt would make the whole thing pointless.
Ah, well another point of misunderstanding is this. Asking to be published unedited means they're agreeing to publish the complete text of Mein Kamf if that's his response. Of course they'd blow off that demand. I know that's not what Tynan was thinking, and maybe they should have negotiated further, but that's... not really anything RPS did wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eiba posted:

Does "asshat" not mean "dumb and/or misinformed"? Sorry, I might have used the wrong term.

Calling out his dumb beliefs is not calling him Hitler.

Ah, well another point of misunderstanding is this. Asking to be published unedited means they're agreeing to publish the complete text of Mein Kamf if that's his response. Of course they'd blow off that demand. I know that's not what Tynan was thinking, and maybe they should have negotiated further, but that's... not really anything RPS did wrong.

Did you read his responses in Reddit linked previously? They seemed perfectly fine and were not in any way, shape, or form "the complete text of Mein Kamf." If the article had includes his responses and his responses were similar to that, this would be much ado about nothing. I mean, more so than it already is.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you read his responses in Reddit linked previously? They seemed perfectly fine and were not in any way, shape, or form "the complete text of Mein Kamf." If the article had includes his responses and his responses were similar to that, this would be much ado about nothing. I mean, more so than it already is.
I understand his intention and concerns. But do you understand RPS's editorial concerns? "I will only offer comment if you agree ahead of time to post my comments in full," is a far less reasonable demand than Tynan thought it was and I can't fault RPS for not engaging that.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Autism posted:

For christ's sake, this isn't an argument about code being inherently sexist. That's such a bafflingly un-nuanced interpretation of any of this.

Not to throw more gasoline on the fire, but when RPS posted the article on Facebook it was with the additional text of "Code is never neutral".

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

nessin posted:

Not to throw more gasoline on the fire, but when RPS posted the article on Facebook it was with the additional text of "Code is never neutral".

Well, they're right. Especially in this case, holy cow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dude's done interviews for breitbart and compared muslims to nazis

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've seen his interview and don't really see what was wrong with it :confused:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

nessin posted:

Well, yeah. No artistic work is ever neutral. Games do not magically spring out of the ether by an act of God. They are made by people, who do people things and hold people opinions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Danaru posted:

it was on breitbart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

normal person who is definitely just ignorant and not terrible: Hrm, yes, I want to be associated with this website.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Endorph posted:

it was on breitbart

Yeah anyone who gives Breitbart the time of day is a shithead. It's pretty clear that Tynan is at least moderately alt-right and has in his possession an exquisite collection of Bad Opinions. But his work on Rimworld is admirably apolitical and he doesn't seem to be trying to make any statement with it, so I'm not rushing to crucify him.

Endorph posted:

normal person who is definitely just ignorant and not terrible: Hrm, yes, I want to be associated with this website.

To be fair she was a racist old biddy. Wanted to neuter all the black people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*nodding* i wonder how i can include this Very Good Article in my code??

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru posted:

imagine youre a politically rabid moron with a manichean outlook for whom the personal is political and you'll get it

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baloogan posted:

He isn't hitler

Seriously. My grandparents held more offensive opinions and I didn't feel conflicted about continuing to interact with them. poo poo, it's a pretty small minority of people that don't believe those things.

Eiba posted:

He won't cave; he's the "ethics in journalism" sort that's reinforced by the pressure (actual twitter quote: "Heck it's almost affirming to have a witch hunt whipped up against you by these big names!"). We will get better designed and implemented bisexuality and some issues fixed as a result of some actual discourse on Reddit, but I can pretty much guarantee there will still be gender asymmetry in some romantic behaviors.

Roadie posted:

If only this game didn't have binary gender, we could have Bynars from Star Trek as pawns.

Or, like, space eunuchs from the Space Ottoman Empire.

The game supports agender characters, we can have them.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 4, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Something something product of the times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

to be unfair, they drew a hitler moustache in ms paint

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Zhentar posted:

He won't cave; he's the "ethics in journalism" sort that's reinforced by the pressure (actual twitter quote: "Heck it's almost affirming to have a witch hunt whipped up against you by these big names!"). We will get better designed and implemented bisexuality and some issues fixed as a result of some actual discourse on Reddit, but I can pretty much guarantee there will still be gender asymmetry in some romantic behaviors.

I haven't combed his twitter looking for validation/condemnation of his politics, I've only read the commend thread on RPS and honestly, I think the article is totally trying to find issues that aren't really there, including ascribing motivations to him (that they can't know) as well as misinterpreting the meaning of the code (ie the 'disabled' thing).

Based wholly on his rebuttals there, I think he's in the right, especially given how many things he says he'd change or are bugs. I think it's fair to fault him on the tone of his reply (by his own admission as well).

He may be a horrible person or not, but like I said, I'm just judging him based on the specifics of this specific debate, and his position seemed pretty reasonable. If he's basing his model on actual data (and not the kind of 'data' that's been fabricated by people pushing for something like conversion therapy and other atrocities) I'm not sure I understand the issue.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Endorph posted:

to be unfair, they drew a hitler moustache in ms paint

What else do you expect from the hard-hitting journalists at Breitbart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What else do you expect from the hard-hitting journalists at Breitbart
Breit "The Hitman" Bart

anyway i dont think the guy should be strung up or anything but he holds some pretty lovely positions/has said some lovely things and willingly associates with some pretty lovely sides of the internet. the original article was overblown in some areas but did point out some legit flaws that nobody was really talking about and his response was wayyyy more overblown, so the fact that this got so dramatic is more on him than on the person who wrote the article (but not completely on him and the person writing the article probably should have asked him for context even if she declined to publish his comments? like she could have just gone 'when you say disabled in the code what do you mean' and then just written with that knowledge in mind without having to actually publish anything he said. but still.) and even if he fixes stuff he's still a bit of an rear end. if people like the game and want to support it then whatever but i think it's okay to point out things you feel are hosed up. peace.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
He seems to be jumping on the "spam teasers to distract the plebs from controversy" bandwagon.

And, it's working!

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

McGiggins posted:

He seems to be jumping on the "spam teasers to distract the plebs from controversy" bandwagon.

And, it's working!

link, plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Endorph posted:

Breit "The Hitman" Bart

anyway i dont think the guy should be strung up or anything but he holds some pretty lovely positions/has said some lovely things and willingly associates with some pretty lovely sides of the internet. the original article was overblown in some areas but did point out some legit flaws that nobody was really talking about and his response was wayyyy more overblown, so the fact that this got so dramatic is more on him than on the person who wrote the article (but not completely on him and the person writing the article probably should have asked him for context even if she declined to publish his comments? like she could have just gone 'when you say disabled in the code what do you mean' and then just written with that knowledge in mind without having to actually publish anything he said. but still.) and even if he fixes stuff he's still a bit of an rear end. if people like the game and want to support it then whatever but i think it's okay to point out things you feel are hosed up. peace.

I'm not voting for the fucker, who cares