Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

badatom posted:

So I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Ohio is suddenly trending red. We went for Obama +5 in 2008 and +3 in 2012, and Hillary has had an equivalent ground game and presence here. And John Kasich was one of the few holdouts that never endorsed Trump, for what that's worth. I guess my question is, how much should I drink on election night?

Also, if one more person tells me the old saying, "As Ohio goes, so goes the nation"...

The real, non-goony answer is that the Ohio Democratic Party is terrible, inept, and can't run campaigns to save their lives. Chris Redfern completely ran it straight into the ground, and David Pepper hasn't done anything to fix it. Against an unpopular incumbent John Kasich, they chose a nobody county commissioner. Against empty suit Rob Portman the choices were a Cincinnati city councilman and Ted Strickland, who was voted out as governor in the middle of the recession. Sherrod Brown is the only competent person in Ohio politics at the state or national level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't get this either, juice is juice

I guess because it has a billion grams of sugar added and fucks with your satiety but like, it's not garbage water from a trash can, it's still juice

:shrug:

A lot of the nutrients and vitamins you get in fresh juice break down really quickly. Like, if you make juice and put it in an airtight seal almost immediately you will preserve it for a few days but past that its health benefits have a half-life.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

You know what the most embarrassing, shameful and frustrating thing is

I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy done in May of 2015 out of sheer desperation, when I was at my worst I was 320#. Paid cash I didn't have for it and I'm going to be paying it for years

After the surgery I got to 270# (mostly I suspect to the enforced liquid diet, which I loving abhorred), stalled out and climbed back to my current point of ~300# over time

Forreal, go read the OP in the YLLS diet and exercise megathread (if you haven't already). Then read Uziel's log in TFLC - goons far fatter than you have become swole beasts absolutely killing every aspect of their lives.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Deified Data posted:

This whole thing made my blood boil the other day.

I grew to hate that little old lady who was all "I don't believe or endorse any of this but let me tell you why the white nationalists were in the right".

And that poor loving guy who had to explain to his constituents that they don't get to pick their neighbors. You could really hear the desperation in his voice.
If you'd like more blood-boiling material, look up the Soft Landing 'controversy' in Montana. A local group in Missoula came up with the idea of inviting a small number of Syrian refugees to resettle in the city, maybe 100 people or so, and actually won the backing of the mayor and city council. Pretty heartwarming!

Then the county commissioners for the rural areas surrounding Missoula lobbied and organized public meetings against it, because what right do people in Missoula have to invite Islamic terrorists into their midst when one day those terrorists might leave the Missoula city limits and inflict themselves on the good Christian folk of Ravalli County? Watch the video on this news report for people claiming that accepting the refugees means that 'ISIS will come after our women' and demanding to know what the refugee advocates will say 'to the family of the first victim':
http://www.nbcmontana.com/news/keci/crowd-turns-out-for-hearing-on-ravalli-co-letter-opposing-syrian-refugees-1/10396053

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
My issue is that my wife can't cook so I'm forced to cook everything if we want to eat and don't get a break ever.

And that's not "oh she's not cooking the stuff I like" can't cook, it's the "she literally almost burned down the New Yorker Hotel" when she lived there for college can't cook.

Like boiling water for pasta is the height of her cooking skill.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Multivitamins don't work at all. Different vitamins are absorbed in different ways. By skipping veggies you're also missing out on fiber, which is hugely important for such a long list of things I deleted it and typed this instead.

Multivitamins are the shotgun approach of dietary supplements. You can eat them with a meal to increase absorbency, but you're basically flooding your digestive system with nutritional requirements and hoping some of sticks instead of washing out

POLITICS!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This was also a Mr. Brontosaurus (Tiny Husband?) problem and I have so many strategies. I would suggest starting out thinking in an additive way about your diet rather than subtractive. Add more vegetables, try to work your way up to at least five or six that you can stand. Mr. B had big success with spinach/yogurt smoothies, sliced bell peppers, leafy greens, and zucchini/yellow squash/eggplant minced up really fine in rice and pasta dishes.

I've lost nearly forty pounds since February. I had to employ a number of strategies to actually make it work and they didn't all come together until just a few months ago:

1. Substitution. Find and eliminate my high calorie foods and put in something that I still like so eating is still fun and not a chore.

2. Manage hunger. If said foods leave me hungry at the end of the day I'm doing something wrong. Lots of protein helps. Lower carbs.

3. Exercise. Before my mom got sick and I had to take care of her I was walking at least three miles a day, and sometimes up to and maybe even past fifteen.

4. Count calories. The big one. The only thing that will lower your weight in the end is making sure you burn more calories than you take in. Period. Find your BMR and eat fewer calories than that. All of the above isn't as effective if you're not doing this. I'm supposed to eat 2350 calories a day, but aim for 1950 plus exercise. In doing this I lose just over three pounds a month as long as I'm diligent before exercise.

And that's how I lost it and continue to lose it. I hope to lose another forty before I'm done. :unsmith:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My only two health issues I need to overcome are that I loving love alcohol and energy drinks

I am slowly switching out energy drinks for Yerba Mate and tea but I cannot leave you behind precious alcohol

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schizotek posted:

Progress doesn't exist. There is no platonic ideal that society marches towards. In all likelyhood in 200 years we'll be seen as backwards monsters for not throwing fags down a well.
Empirically, you're wrong.

I'm just making a very conservative prediction here: things are going to continue roughly on the current trend. Which has, so far, been upwards. The Romans were horrible, medieval folks less so, people in the 19th century less so again, and here we are, much better again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Forreal, go read the OP in the YLLS diet and exercise megathread (if you haven't already). Then read Uziel's log in TFLC - goons far fatter than you have become swole beasts absolutely killing every aspect of their lives.

loving hell man you think I didn't do everything I possibly could to help me save my life before resorting to spending tens of thousands of dollars I don't have on a surgery that didn't stop me from slowly killing myself anyway

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Brontosaurus is the same way, 6'5 and finding it vastly preferable to build muscle with cheese fries than stop eating them.

Smart man.

In college I used to go to The O regularly and there's nothing short of triathlon training that will counteract that level of greasy food. Pretty sure a small fry, without a side of melted cheese, was easily 2-3000 calories. Holy poo poo they tasted so good though.

Getting in shape is great and people need to do it if they haven't. I finally started working out again this year after being pretty lazy on it and the difference is noticeable pretty quickly. I don't lift as much as I should but even just doing a lot of cardio helps a ton and it's nice when you're back in a position of being able to run or jog for extended periods of time and not be dying out of breath after 30 seconds.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Young Hegelian posted:

I was looking up Iceland the other day. If we had the same ratio we'd have 60k legislators.

Iceland is kind of a special case considering that more people work for Target in the US than live there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

loving hell man you think I didn't do everything I possibly could to help me save my life before resorting to spending tens of thousands of dollars I don't have on a surgery that didn't stop me from slowly killing myself anyway

I've been posting there for years and I don't remember seeing you in there asking questions and looking for advice and support. Which is given out freely and generously by everyone there. So, no?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sorry, that was uncalled for

i need to go have a good cry for a while

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Multivitamins don't work at all. Different vitamins are absorbed in different ways. By skipping veggies you're also missing out on fiber, which is hugely important for such a long list of things I deleted it and typed this instead.

Multivitamins don't work, IF you are already getting an appropriate amount of vitamins from your normal diet. Harvard Med School recommends a daily multivitamin if your diet does not regularly meet daily vitamin requirements (ie High protein or fats diet)

The fiber point is very true. But from a strictly technical standpoint, you don't actually need fiber to lose weight. Although it does help in about a million other indirect ways and increase feelings of fullness.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I can't eat anything too strong or spicy without spending the next few days hating myself so I mostly drink fruit/vegetable smoothies and eat the plainest stuff I can.

this makes me sad.

Where I come from you prove you are a man by either hunting deer or eating insane hot wings.

And I think deer are cute :smith:

Spicy food rules

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My only two health issues I need to overcome are that I loving love alcohol and energy drinks

I don't drink anymore, my health is tremendously better for it but my life is a waking nightmare of inescapable existential horror now

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am on a seafood diet

I see food and I sit down and contemplate the effect it will have on my health versus the temporary benefits the satisfaction of eating it will get me and I debate the merits of both sides before coming to a decision

:laffo:

This made me laugh out loud, thanks for that! :D

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

Empirically, you're wrong.

I'm just making a very conservative prediction here: things are going to continue roughly on the current trend. Which has, so far, been upwards. The Romans were horrible, medieval folks less so, people in the 19th century less so again, and here we are, much better again.

Empirically I can hear every historian in the world grinding their teeth right now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like fiber because I like it when my shits don't sting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

I don't mean to suggest it's easy. The solutions are simple, but they are hard. And it doesn't have to be a solitary journey. It can be a thing where people cheer and jeer you all the way to your goals

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am slowly switching out energy drinks for Yerba Mate and tea but I cannot leave you behind precious alcohol

Alcohol is the best thing for the soul, dietary restrictions be damned.

I did start drinking scotch instead of beer which has helped my waistline... too bad about my wallet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I think that a lot of bad vegetable eating habits from my generation gets passed down from our parents, who got it passed down from their parents, who often thought the best way to cook a vegetable would be to boil it until the kitchen smelled like it had been taken over by sad, flatulent ghosts. I barely ate greens at all when I was young because my dad hated them and swore he wouldn't force them on his kids (he's also in his late fifties and so physically fit he's literally confused and frightened teams of cardiologists, so I guess he ducked out on the consequences on his diet due to living with cheat codes).

Now that I'm making my own food it got easy to figure out how to make veggies more palatable without drowning them in butter or something. Like TB and others have said, vegetables might be kind of tough to handle on their own for kiddie palates but they're perfectly inoffensive as ingredients in more complex dishes, and there's almost no vegetable out there that can't be improved by a dash of salt and pepper, some olive oil, and a quick roast.

Growing up, the vegetables my parents served with dinner were either cooked from frozen and drowned in cheese sauce, or out of a can (and then drowned in margarine). Once I started learning to cook for myself and came home and started cooking for them, I think they were shocked at how good vegetables taste when you don't destroy them. Grilled vegetables are a summer mainstay for my parents now, brushed lightly with olive oil then salted/peppered. They love them. Even got Dad to eat and enjoy Brussels sprouts once when I roasted them in a super-hot oven, which turns them from farty cabbage balls into delicious, savory, crispy goodness. Of course it means my grandma can't stand to eat at my parents' house anymore because any vegetable that isn't mush is "undercooked" but she's terrible (for a whole lot of reasons) anyway :v:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I do understand the logic there and I try to take the same approach when I can, but invariably it gets thrown back in my face. It's pointless to worry about making people feel attacked when they are committed to attacking me. "That was pretty racist" gets heard as "you're a racist" by people who are racists.

as an approach, it's probably one more effective for white people to use then people of color. it's easier to slip in and get at the actual problem when the person your talking to already perceives you as 'one of them.' i wouldn't think it fair to expect a black person to take that kind of understanding in a directly hostile conversation.
i think that holds true in regards to other minority groups/issues as well

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Star Man posted:

I like fiber because I like it when my shits don't sting.

the something awful forums: it all boils down to poop in the end

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Aw dude :sympathy:

You're among friends. Anything you want to do, there are people here who can help you figure out how to do it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was about 8 lbs from my target weight earlier this year, got complacent and now I'm 25 lbs away :(

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Take a multivitamin every day and eat food you like. If you try to radically alter your diet / palette and maintain one that you don't enjoy, your likelihood of failure rises dramatically.

Skip the veggies, eat filling and high protein foods, and be mindful of your total calories. Try to consume 0 calories from liquids. Snack on things like peanuts (or trail mix if you need something sweet) and peanut butter on a light english muffin.

For as much as I've poo poo on you for your polling habits, this is good advice. Thank you.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if I have something like sleep apnea. I've started waking up with bad headaches once in a while in the morning and I'm always loving tired. I assumed it was allegies/asthma in tandem loving me.

... Is there a better thread for this? This is definitely not politics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I did start drinking scotch instead of beer which has helped my waistline... too bad about my wallet.

scotch is the one liquor I will drink, the cost makes it self limiting and I will literally stab you with a broken bottle if you try to take it from me

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Empirically I can hear every historian in the world grinding their teeth right now.

Haha yeah

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Here is the most basic advice I can give you, and its what I used at my lowest point in terms of health (loving grad school :argh:)

Look at yourself in the mirror and say "This is the worst I will ever get"

You don't have to get a six pack or huge muscle or anything, just look at yourself right now and realize if you make even the slightest effort to change, every day you will be better off than you are right now.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr. Brontosaurus is the same way, 6'5 and finding it vastly preferable to build muscle with cheese fries than stop eating them.

Man. This is the loving truth. I'm 6'5 and I loved that poo poo. I had to leave it behind because hitting the gym all of the time just isn't in the cards for me. I can still have this stuff, but only in limited quantities.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

chumbler posted:

Roasted asparagus is one of the greatest things in this world.

:respek:

Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt on that baby and I'm all over that poo poo like white on rice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Substitute water for a 2-liter of Coca-Cola.

Wait, what?
Edit: Oh nevermind. I read that as "Substitute water with".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I tend to drink straight gin a lot because it lets mother fuckers know I am serious

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

For as much as I've poo poo on you for your polling habits, this is good advice. Thank you.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if I have something like sleep apnea. I've started waking up with bad headaches once in a while in the morning and I'm always loving tired. I assumed it was allegies/asthma in tandem loving me.

... Is there a better thread for this? This is definitely not politics.

Someone post another picture of Michelle Obama doing healthy living things and then it can be politics for another page or so :v:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What do you mean?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

:respek:

Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt on that baby and I'm all over that poo poo like white on rice.

I mixed a few words around in this sentence and hoo boy it didn't well as far as mental images go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm really 'lucky' in that my family has a long history of absolutely crippling alcohol addiction to the point I never got the urge to drink (and thanks to stomach issues never will!). Same for smoking. I guess I owe my family for being huge fuckups in that regards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Being in good shape is tight

• Locked thread