Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My only two health issues I need to overcome are that I loving love alcohol and energy drinks

I am slowly switching out energy drinks for Yerba Mate and tea but I cannot leave you behind precious alcohol

Yeah for weight loss something that really helped me was cutting down beer. I went from 206 to 148. Still totally ok to drink socially, but removing regular beer helped a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, dietchat is always weird for me. I'm 6'3" or so, and last I checked I was like 135 lbs. Might weigh more now but our scale is broken so I don't know how much the increase is me having gained some weight versus it just being a bad scale.

I'm also a vegetarian who just doesn't eat a lot, and have been really tall and thin my whole life, so despite the amount of stuff like pasta and junk food I consume I remain a skeleton/scarecrow person.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah for weight loss something that really helped me was cutting down beer. I went from 206 to 148. Still totally ok to drink socially, but removing regular beer helped a ton.

Fortunately I am a hard liqour man more than a beer man

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really 'lucky' in that my family has a long history of absolutely crippling alcohol addiction to the point I never got the urge to drink (and thanks to stomach issues never will!). Same for smoking. I guess I owe my family for being huge fuckups in that regards.

I used to think I dodged this curse until it was pointing out to me that I binge drink to the point of death when my wife is not supervising my intake (and sometimes even then) and if I can't stop doing that it still means I'm an alcoholic, even if I don't drink literally every day

so that's that

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Someone post another picture of Michelle Obama doing healthy living things and then it can be politics for another page or so :v:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cingulate posted:

What do you mean?

Most societies for most of time have believed in some variant on the wheel of fortune. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down and everything goes in cycles. The idea of consistent progress is very new very much the aberration.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Roland Jones posted:

Man, dietchat is always weird for me. I'm 6'3" or so, and last I checked I was like 135 lbs. Might weigh more now but our scale is broken so I don't know how much the increase is me having gained some weight versus it just being a bad scale.

Hi veggie goon here, protein shake powder is awesome once you get used to the taste, just use 7oz. water and stir thoroughly

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

What do you mean?

What you said just wasn't true. Like holy poo poo so incredibly not true. "The moon is made of green cheese" not true. I don't even want to get into it because I'd much rather see an actual historian tell you off, but honestly you're so wildly wrong you don't really deserve their time. Read books, they're great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chokes McGee posted:

I used to think I dodged this curse until it was pointing out to me that I binge drink to the point of death when my wife is not supervising my intake (and sometimes even then) and if I can't stop doing that it still means I'm an alcoholic, even if I don't drink literally every day

so that's that

I only drink on the weekends and never to the point where I feel dizzy or ill so I consider myself safe

oh god I am in denial aren't I

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
USPol Derails, Ranked:

1 (best): beer
2: baseball
3: diets
4: video games
5: ????
6: mcmagic

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

stone cold posted:

Friend, I recommend looking up the Smoot-Hawley tariff to give you an idea of how bad raising tariffs super loving high is.

Also, I like that your example is ostensibly a common person (being hurt pretty bad having to pay $10 for a formerly $3 good) but you think that this sort of constriction of market access will only hurt the rich and those in LDCs.

I don't even understand the reasoning behind super high import tariffs. It just sounds like imposing economic sanctions on your own country.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

:respek:

Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt on that baby and I'm all over that poo poo like white on rice.
Fig balsamic. Basically any sweet vinegar is extremely good on asparagus.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CascadeBeta posted:

For as much as I've poo poo on you for your polling habits, this is good advice. Thank you.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if I have something like sleep apnea. I've started waking up with bad headaches once in a while in the morning and I'm always loving tired. I assumed it was allegies/asthma in tandem loving me.

... Is there a better thread for this? This is definitely not politics.

If you have a high BMI or a family history of apnea issues, you are a likely candidate for sleep apnea. A very bad case will cause you to frequently wake up at night, but moderate cases will keep you asleep, but not allow you to have a clear breathing passage. This means that you will stay asleep, but not enter REM cycle or deeper levels of sleep. This can cause increases in appetite, constant fatigue, and mental stress.

If you have insurance, ask your doctor about it and get a sleep study done. If you don't have insurance, wait until you can, because it is very expensive. Losing weight will help and can sometimes cure it. If you have an issue with your throat or nasal passage that causes apnea, you will either need a CPAP machine or surgery.

Getting your sleep right (or doing high-quality amphetamines daily) will dramatically help you with weight loss and weight loss might help with apnea and they will reinforce each other. You need to be consistent though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chicken Tenders are delicious, cheap, enjoyable to an 11 year old, and high in protein.

Look for Turkey and Chicken versions of junk food. Turkey burgers, Chicken Sausages, etc.

You can be totally healthy and never eat veggies. Take a multivitamin and calorie count with filling food that you enjoy.

Grains help you feel full when composing any dish. There's a reason a lot of Indian/Chinese/other Asian food has a bunch of rice at the bottom of all that delicious sauce, meat, and veggies.

Keep in mind that the cooking styles developed by the Chinese in particular was in the context of centuries and millenia of poor serfs starving to death with regular famine, so they had no qualms over picking every last bit of edible meat or roots they could dig out from an animal or the ground; which helps to explain why Chinese delicacies like 'Pig Intestine' seem bonkers to us in the West but totally normally with a strong historical tradition over in China.

Personally, I love culinary diversity. It makes the world a more vibrant, rich and interesting place; and where would we be as a civilization without weird food poo poo like Century eggs or Mooncake?

Counterpoint: Do not attempt to eat lamb brain curry in the Muslim district of New Delhi before heading back to the US on a 13-hour flight.

It will not end well.

I guarantee it. :gonk::barf:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Most societies for most of time have believed in some variant on the wheel of fortune. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down and everything goes in cycles. The idea of consistent progress is very new very much the aberration.

in the immortal words of the philosopher Patticus Savactus,

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bag of snap peas: great healthy low effort snack, or greatest healthy low effort snack.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chokes McGee posted:

scotch is the one liquor I will drink, the cost makes it self limiting and I will literally stab you with a broken bottle if you try to take it from me

Scotch neat is seriously the best thing.

Oh, TB. If you like cooking and since you live in socal I can't recommend this place enough for olive oil. Seriously the best stuff I've ever had, it's not that expensive, and it's a fun day trip away to picking up more.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

I'm also a vegetarian who just doesn't eat a lot, and have been really tall and thin my whole life, so despite the amount of stuff like pasta and junk food I consume I remain a skeleton/scarecrow person.
You should really make an honest effort. I used to be super skinny too, have gained a good 20 pounds, and it's really made a difference.
You will have to eat more, and exercise more, than you feel comfortable with though, and poultry is probably going to be involved.

I can't think of any people who can combine being reasonable and smart with being human beings as well as the Obamas. (Bill Clinton is a bit similar I guess.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GalacticAcid posted:

USPol Derails, Ranked:

5 is meta-discussion about the thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agean90 posted:

bag of snap peas: great healthy low effort snack, or greatest healthy low effort snack.

My favorite low-effort snack is Edamame.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

AriadneThread posted:

I wouldn't think it fair to expect a black person to take that kind of understanding in a directly hostile conversation.

Oh god no, and I didn't mean to imply this at all. God knows the approach didn't work for me when addressing virulently homophobic people, as it was impossible to keep my cool when directly involved like that. But that's why I said extreme cases too- if someone straight up embraces the racist beliefs and actions they've committed, then that makes them 'a racist' as opposed to 'person with racist hangups'.

I often had to be the sober second thought at my old university LBGT group, and I always believed; Righteous moral outrage is fine when no one is listening, but when you have someone (or the public's) ear, use it wisely. Too often we cannibalized potential allies for minor infractions and not maintaining ideological purity.

Altogether, the approach I described is probably most effectively utilized by in-group allies, as Ariadne suggests.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I tend to drink straight gin a lot because it lets mother fuckers know I am serious

I go for straight bourbon, sometimes bottom shelf rot gut, often straight from the bottle.

I have stopped buying bourbon and am slowly trying to stop or at least cut way down on alcohol in general. I mean I never got really bad about it, but it's something I shouldn't be doing as much as I do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yes!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Oh, TB. If you like cooking and since you live in socal I can't recommend this place enough for olive oil. Seriously the best stuff I've ever had, it's not that expensive, and it's a fun day trip away to picking up more.

My palette's never been good enough for neat but two cubes of ice (at most) never hurt anything

whisky stones own tho

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ImpAtom posted:

Fudge and whiskey for me.

Sometimes this thread....I swear.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok here is the secret weapon that took Mr. Bronto from picky toddlerhood to vegetable-eating heroics:

Black Magic Powder

Take dried shiitake mushrooms and grind them up to a fine powder with a coffee grinder or whatever you got. It will look like actual dirt, but that's okay. Sprinkle it on any vegetable you're going to hit with high heat - I first tried this with brussels sprouts. You get an intense umami flavor like you magically turned the veggies into steaks. Never look back.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Chokes McGee posted:

5 is meta-discussion about the thread

Hahaha holy poo poo you're right, sorry.

Also doesn't Christie still have an official role in the Trump campaign? Will he be ousted or does nobody at Trump HQ give a gently caress about anything at all?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fig balsamic. Basically any sweet vinegar is extremely good on asparagus.

Have you tried Hollandaise? I keep hearing all this stuff about it and asparagus but I have no idea what it is, what's in it, or what it tastes like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been trying that since college I have the pallette of an 11 year old so it's hard for me to eat healthy and also enjoy it. :smith:

I've been eating a balanced diet of meat and vegetables alongside working out at the gym over the past three months and I still have lost only a few pounds total, from a max of 202. I'm beginning to think not trying was more satisfying.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yes, and it's an incredibly effective, self-serving idea.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What you said just wasn't true. Like holy poo poo so incredibly not true. "The moon is made of green cheese" not true. I don't even want to get into it because I'd much rather see an actual historian tell you off, but honestly you're so wildly wrong you don't really deserve their time. Read books, they're great.
Hm. By whom? I assume you're not thinking about books by Thomas Kuhn, Karl Popper, Peter Singer, Steven Pinker, Karl Marx or Francis Fukuyama? (Not necessarily citing any of them approvingly.)

GalacticAcid posted:

USPol Derails, Ranked:

0: Flying spiders in Chicago Skyscrapers

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ahh this is dope, and just in time for Christmas shopping, thank you

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I need to introduce you veggie-haters to the wonders of taking raw broccoli and cauliflower and dipping it in a little bit of (in my case, vegan) pesto. Not a lot, don't go crazy with it. Tastes great.

A Winner is Jew posted:

My issue is that my wife can't cook so I'm forced to cook everything if we want to eat and don't get a break ever.

And that's not "oh she's not cooking the stuff I like" can't cook, it's the "she literally almost burned down the New Yorker Hotel" when she lived there for college can't cook.

Like boiling water for pasta is the height of her cooking skill.

This is strange to me. Cooking for me is literally just following some directions I printed out.

Maybe suggest she try something that doesn't involve any actual heat, like salads?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

lamb brain curry

this seems like an excellent way to pick up a horrific prion

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Schizotek posted:

Progress doesn't exist. There is no platonic ideal that society marches towards. In all likelyhood in 200 years we'll be seen as backwards monsters for not throwing fags down a well.

Extremely harsh negative attitudes towards homosexuality could actually be viewed as an anomaly if you look at the entire existence of human civilization, it's mostly anti-gay conservatives that try to push the view that human society has always looked down upon same-sex relationships.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cingulate posted:

Empirically, you're wrong.

I'm just making a very conservative prediction here: things are going to continue roughly on the current trend. Which has, so far, been upwards. The Romans were horrible, medieval folks less so, people in the 19th century less so again, and here we are, much better again.

This is pretty reductionist. The 19th and 20th centuries have been outliers in terms of world history because we haven't regressed too far socially or technologically. All throughout history there were social, political and technological backslides. For example the Romans built the triple walls of Constantinople that allowed it to exist all the way up to the middle of the 15th century but they sure as poo poo couldn't make new walls like those elsewhere. The technology was lost. The Roman empire for all of its faults was stable and prosperous until it wasn't and fell into dozens upon dozens of successor states and kingdoms in which the Catholic church was really the only binding force left in the west and not really suited to the task of governance.

There is no line that's better to worse or worse to better in history. History is not a discipline for people who want easy black and white answers. It's full of grey areas, heavy nuance and unknowns. I would even say that times back then were better in some ways despite the ignorance and cruelty as humans didn't have the power to exterminate themselves in nuclear fire. A power which I trust in the hands of no one.

Historically progress "forwards" as you would call it is not steadily forward. We're in a weird time right now where things are better for the average Joe and Jane. We know that history is full of declines and collapses of all kinds. The fact that we haven't had one in a long time is an outlier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

I have a bag of carrots in my fridge and I just grab them like Bugs Bunny.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

Yes, and it's an incredibly effective, self-serving idea.

Hm. By whom? I assume you're not thinking about books by Thomas Kuhn, Karl Popper, Peter Singer, Steven Pinker, Karl Marx or Francis Fukuyama? (Not necessarily citing any of them approvingly.)

0: Flying spiders in Chicago Skyscrapers

God you unbearable twat. I regret every time I try to engage with you in good faith.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Roland Jones posted:

That is an insane weight! I would recommend picking up a fun and muscle building activity like rock climbing and finding nutrient/calorie dense foods that you like. I don't know where you live, but there are really good veggie options out there

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Also doesn't Christie still have an official role in the Trump campaign? Will he be ousted or does nobody at Trump HQ give a gently caress about anything at all?

Christie's head of the Trump transition team, for when Trump becomes president of course.

...he basically doesn't seem to do anything besides plan for the glorious future where Trump becomes president i.e. a non-existent fantasyland, so they're just keeping him around until the end of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Vegetables of choice:

-brown sugar roasted asparagus
-sauteed fresh green beans with minced garlic added at the end
-roasted brussels sprouts with garlic infused olive oil
-roasted or grilled acorn squash with cinnamon and a touch of honey
-roasted or grilled yellow squash/zucchini with garlic
-sauteed onions and bell peppers

Add garlic to any vegetable and it will taste 100 times better.

• Locked thread