Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artorias' Greatsword rules in pvp. No one expects any of the sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

Artorias' Greatsword rules in pvp. No one expects any of the sweeps.

I feel like all of the weapons that have a weapon art that look like a choreographed fight move in a wuxia martial arts movie are the easiest to dodge. you just back up or side step and wait for their dance moves to finish. once the attacker is locked into the animation, it's not like they can cancel out and reverse direction.

i learned this after I was unpleasantly surprised the first time I tried to use a greatsword to smash a dude out of the air while they did the jumping attack for the dual katanas. turns out that animation is unbreakable, so you can hit them with whatever, but you're going to trade the damage!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm pretty glad I didn't bother with any more ever because this poo poo is impenetrable

anyways im bored with invading the same way over and over (followers sabre is making me successful but still)

two questions:
is there any totally awesome place to invade. I've done archdragon peak and the archives a ton originally, and now corvian settlement, depths of painting and that area after the settlement. any other good spots?

second question: I'm using a sl135 guy and am in ng+. I was lame and beat freide with a summon since I was using fume sword and couldn't handle her. better to do new char and ng, or go to ng+2? if so, what's the fastest route to the dlc with a weapon that can handle it (maybe beeline the sabre?)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

It's intentionally a three way split because at 40/40 into/fth and base str/dex requirements if it was dark/dark or fire/fire it would be the best weapon in the game. It has a great moveset (claymore moveset), very high damage buffed (yes even with 3 types), and it scales super well with caster stats which gives pyros and hexers a greatsword option when they previously didnt have a great one.

What's the unbuffed AR like?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Weapon arts are breakable they typically just have strong hyper armor.
The flip leap is good for punishing people trying to space you out with whiffs. The range on it is huge. I don't like the twirly attack

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is anyone else finding the huge packs of followers incredibly un-fun to fight? I hate dealing with them so much that I basically sprinted through half of the DLC instead of systematically fighting my way through it like I usually do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
had the abyss watchers down to a tiny bit of health and didn't realise i'd unequipped my weapon when cycling for ashen estus and punched it twice then got killed :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Omi no Kami posted:

Is anyone else finding the huge packs of followers incredibly un-fun to fight? I hate dealing with them so much that I basically sprinted through half of the DLC instead of systematically fighting my way through it like I usually do.

The encounter difficulty in the dlc is really feast or famine. If you can't take out stuff right away they'll overwhelm you when their buddies show up. The heavily populated stretches dont really have any important items though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Vermain posted:

What's the unbuffed AR like?

At base str/dex reqs and 40/40 int/fth it's 520 AR with about 60%-70% of that being Dark (off the top of my head, 520 is accurate but I forget the split). That's 11 more than a 40/40 Refined Claymore (so slightly less on a neutral target after split is taken into account). Buff adds 145 fire putting it pretty substantially ahead even after the three way split. And that's on a low requirement (14/12 str/dex) weapon in a pure caster build. Swing for swing it outdamages or competes with most Refined 40/40 greatswords. It's solid.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

The packs of Followers and how all three varieties complement one another was one of the highlights of the DLC to me. I thought they were a good twist on the typical "this is this area's trash mob" archetype.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deified Data posted:

The packs of Followers and how all three varieties complement one another was one of the highlights of the DLC to me. I thought they were a good twist on the typical "this is this area's trash mob" archetype.

Totally agree, the wooded area with tons of varying levels of terrain was the best.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I really can't decide how I feel about it: it's neat, for sure, but for me 1v1 combat and carefully crafted encounter design has always been the highlight of the DS combat system- 1vMany has always felt a little awkward to me, and when it's presented in the context of interlinked entities who are coordinating to kill you it feels more frustrating than fun to me. (Given, I'm very, very bad at dark souls in general, and I'm doing the DLC at soul level 45 with a +6 weapon. I have no doubt that if I had enough vigor to keep everything from 2-shotting me, or enough damage to kill a follower in one stamina bar, my experience might be dramatically different.)

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Gimbal lock posted:

when a phantom with a greataxe appeared from nowhere and landed right on me, squashing me flat. It was a short invasion.

We had gotten separated while checking that place for hidden doors and I had the biggest grin when I figured out where you were and what the shortest route there would be. Dark Souls is the best. The previous invasion also gave me a lot more a respect for that sabre :stonk:.

mastershakeman posted:

two questions:
is there any totally awesome place to invade. I've done archdragon peak and the archives a ton originally, and now corvian settlement, depths of painting and that area after the settlement. any other good spots?

While we're probably never going to get places as gimmick-good as some areas in DS2, there's still a good selection in DS3. Besides the two you just mentioned, the catacombs are a super solid choice. It's linear enough that you won't spend ages searching for the host, but it still has places to hide. Lots of opportunities to exploit the level itself. You can fight people into the boneball paths, lure them to the holes in the floor, step on the arrow switches. The best is to just run past them to the bridge at the end, and stand on it several meters in—they'll look at you, think you're dumb, and feel clever as they run up to slash the bridge supports. Then you run back off the bridge and block their path to Anri and get to watch their panic unfold as the horror of what's about to happen dawns on them, if they've been here before. The skeletons will be triggered, the bridge will be gone, and they're gonna have to go through you to escape spooky death.

If you've got a quickstep dagger, the poison swamp is still tedious but can be fun. It's big but hard to hide in visually, and makes stealth slower but more rewarding. The demon ruins are a good labyrinth, and if they're on the surface while the ballista is active then that's an interesting twist on the fighting. Profaned Capital is great if you're tired of dealing with groups; it has so many opportunities to single them out or do drop attacks for massive damage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The flies were the only enemy type that felt like a wet fart to me. They really contributed nothing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I feel like all of the weapons that have a weapon art that look like a choreographed fight move in a wuxia martial arts movie are the easiest to dodge. you just back up or side step and wait for their dance moves to finish. once the attacker is locked into the animation, it's not like they can cancel out and reverse direction.

i learned this after I was unpleasantly surprised the first time I tried to use a greatsword to smash a dude out of the air while they did the jumping attack for the dual katanas. turns out that animation is unbreakable, so you can hit them with whatever, but you're going to trade the damage!

It's hilarious watching people spam the new fancy scythe skills. Okay, I'll just stay back here completely out of range and pelt a fireball you have no chance of avoiding, thanks for the help buddy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, what do I pay attention to re:Blackflame Friede? I really don't like that I have to go through 2 phases of a bossfight just to learn/get killed by a new move she's pulled out of her rear end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the easiest way to kill gundyr during his second phase is to run far enough away that he does his leap, roll, and hit him three or four times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

double nine posted:

Okay, what do I pay attention to re:Blackflame Friede? I really don't like that I have to go through 2 phases of a bossfight just to learn/get killed by a new move she's pulled out of her rear end.

When she leaps up into the air shrouded in black fire she'll land and do an AOE and then send out a trail of fire that follows you a bit. If you time it right you can run behind her after the AOE to get a backstab, or just run to the side to avoid the trail that comes after and then run in for an attack or two. When she jumps into the air shrouded in ice she'll land a bit quicker and home in on you. It's best to roll towards her a few times to avoid the ice field she sets up, especially since you can get a backstab if you're quick enough. When she disappears in this stage she'll two do ice waves on the floor followed by a longer charge up time leading to a giant trail of fire that goes across half the room. Follow her until that third charge up to get a backstab and then some wakeup hits. When she's far away she'll sometimes dashforwards and flash a bit; this is the tell that if she hits you she'll do a grab attack that does a lot of damage. Should only take one roll to dodge it then you can go for a few attacks. For all of her other combos just dodge away repeatedly to avoid them if you want to be safe, or dodge behind her and start attacking; if you just keep dodging she'll attack continuously but if you interrupt her then her AI will move on to doing something else.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah the follower team work and the actual wolf packs is neat, but clashes with your ability to fight as a dark souls character. It's hard to fight two guys that aren't working in tandem. Maybe I'm a scrub though.
Feels like prototype AI stuff for the next game.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
do the team matches in undead matches have premade groups

because seriously, it drat well feels like it, that, or everyone is some kind of parry god streaming live for thousands of viewers and getting their jollies out of stomping

i'm not learning anything from these guys and they're just doing nothing but stomping me and nothing is working

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sperglord Firecock posted:

do the team matches in undead matches have premade groups

Frustratingly no. I wanted to do some 2v2s with my brother yesterday but it appears passwords in the undead match are all or nothing.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah the follower team work and the actual wolf packs is neat, but clashes with your ability to fight as a dark souls character. It's hard to fight two guys that aren't working in tandem. Maybe I'm a scrub though.
Feels like prototype AI stuff for the next game.

I think the biggest sin of both the follower groups and the wolf packs is that after your first time through it reinforces "yeah why not just run through this now?" but I guess that's kind of an omnipresent problem

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

I think the biggest sin of both the follower groups and the wolf packs is that after your first time through it reinforces "yeah why not just run through this now?" but I guess that's kind of an omnipresent problem

I didn't run through any of the game before that. Methodical depopulation was too ingrained from the other games. I even fought the evangelist and the two saw men between the sage and the next bonfire.
Running past all that poo poo in the dlc made me realize how much won't chase you enough in the game. Though the wolves never lose the scent.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Followers on their own are kind of garbage because you can circle-backstab them like every single pre-DS3 trash mob. Their co-ordinated group encounters are fun without feeling particularly scrappy and unfair. Idk I liked them.

On the other hand, fighting my way through all the bullshit around the Earth Seeker was fairly exciting, but not something I'm keen to do again unless I decide to construct a build around that weapon in the future.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Methodical depopulation was too ingrained from the other games.

Isn't DkS2 the only game that had any kind of depopulation mechanic? It is always unfortunately easy to just sprint through any Dark Souls game, but it seems like a lot of really difficult games get easier if you just ignore all the enemies. Strange.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Running away from poo poo has always been effective but DS3 makes it even easier due to super rolling. I just had a guy I invaded run in circles for about 3 or 4 minutes while I very slowly chipped him down with running attacks, never even attempting to defend himself :shepface:

If they want to avoid this in PvP then running attacks need to be fast and have a large amount of forward motion so you can't outrun them, in DS3 this only applies to like 3 weapons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sprinting through everything has been effective in every Souls game and it's why I'm not a super big fan of watching challenge/gimmick runs :(

2/3 of the game is fighting your way through encounters, but you can just ignore them and run from boss to boss. Not that it can't be fun to see how someone's gonna beat the Darklurker with the Ladle, but I also want to see how on earth you'd get past certain encounters (other than just running past 'em).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Rose seems insanely good for catching rolls. But it's not a great weapon

Faffel posted:

Isn't DkS2 the only game that had any kind of depopulation mechanic? It is always unfortunately easy to just sprint through any Dark Souls game, but it seems like a lot of really difficult games get easier if you just ignore all the enemies. Strange.

I mean I just kill everything I see in ds games on instinct so I don't accidentally aggro two things as once or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the only thing i lose by reverse hollowing using the fire keepers soul is the ending right?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I generally only run past enemies when I've run out of patience fighting a specific boss and killing everything on the way. This, however, makes me play worse at the bosses themselves since it puts me in a "lets just get this over with" mentality, and the Estus I save is quickly gone due to playing recklessly, and I usually die quicker. I did this recently on the Archdragon or whatever, where I just ran past all the snakes after my third try. Chain-Snake got me a couple times after that even when sprinting past them, though.

I find this to be true with bosses that don't have any enemies between them and the bonfire, too, like Elfreide and Champion Gravetender.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Running is more effective than ever in DS3. This is because the average roll still has as many i frames as the fast one, enemies are worse at chasing, and most importantly you can't be canceled out of most animations. Running in DS1 and 2 meant you would be screwed if you had to do something like go through a fog door or pull a lever. Enemies would hit you out of the animation. So if any enemies are right on your tail, you won't be able to progress without losing their aggro or killing them.

In DS3 the animations have tons of i frames that you can't be staggered out of so its not an issue. The fog door animation is so short its basically impossible to get hit during it. Pretty frustrating as an invader since if the host just rushes to the fog door there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Jose posted:

the only thing i lose by reverse hollowing using the fire keepers soul is the ending right?

You also need to spend souls equal to the amount required to get any levels you got from Yoel, at the current souls/level cost.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maleh-Vor posted:

You also need to spend souls equal to the amount required to get any levels you got from Yoel, at the current souls/level cost.

oh right lol. guess i'll stay hollow then

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

Running is more effective than ever in DS3. This is because the average roll still has as many i frames as the fast one, enemies are worse at chasing, and most importantly you can't be canceled out of most animations. Running in DS1 and 2 meant you would be screwed if you had to do something like go through a fog door or pull a lever. Enemies would hit you out of the animation. So if any enemies are right on your tail, you won't be able to progress without losing their aggro or killing them.

In DS3 the animations have tons of i frames that you can't be staggered out of so its not an issue. The fog door animation is so short its basically impossible to get hit during it. Pretty frustrating as an invader since if the host just rushes to the fog door there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Crossing the fog door has always made you invulnerable, at least since Dark Souls, (I can't remember if it did in Demon's Souls). The funny thing is that anything can hit you AFTER you cross the fog door and will probably still be aggroing you, so I've gotten flattened by Giant Sentries in Anor Londo right as O+S charged me, making me panic. I also had this happen against the Dancer when I was early level, the Lothric Knight charging at the fog door with his weapon art and hitting me in the back of the head with the tip of his spear.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Jose posted:

oh right lol. guess i'll stay hollow then
If you don't like looking like beef jerky you could just use one of the rings or a Purging Stone to get back to 0 without losing your Dark Sigil.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

Crossing the fog door has always made you invulnerable, at least since Dark Souls, (I can't remember if it did in Demon's Souls). The funny thing is that anything can hit you AFTER you cross the fog door and will probably still be aggroing you, so I've gotten flattened by Giant Sentries in Anor Londo right as O+S charged me, making me panic. I also had this happen against the Dancer when I was early level, the Lothric Knight charging at the fog door with his weapon art and hitting me in the back of the head with the tip of his spear.

In DS2 I got back stabbed out of a fog wall. It sucked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maleh-Vor posted:

No. You absolutely could get hit during the fog gate animation in DS1 & 2. There were frames towards the end of it where you were invulnerable but the start where your character sloooooowly starts to pass through is a big window for something to stab you.

In DS3 the fog door animation is way faster and makes you invulnerable for pretty much the entire thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

No. You absolutely could get hit during the fog gate animation in DS1 & 2. There were frames towards the end of it where you were invulnerable but the start where your character sloooooowly starts to pass through is a big window for something to stab you.

And I've seen several people point to this as one of the reasons Dark Souls 2 is a "bad game" :shrug:

Probably because speedrunners whine about it, if I had to guess.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Frick speed runners. Dark souls is a methodical game you should savor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'd rather not "savour" That loving Room in old iron king, thanks. Or dealing with Velstadt's little army on every attempt, that thankfully got eliminated in SotFS.

Although I object more to the existence of that room in the first place than the fact that you are vulnerable through the entire agonizingly slow lever pull animation to open the door. I know at least in Bloodborne you are invulnerable during lever pull/door opening animations; god knows I've been wailed on ineffectually by church sentries enough times while opening Amelia's front door.