Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chokes McGee posted:

this seems like an excellent way to pick up a horrific prion

Again, not recommended.

I was a dumb braggart college student showing off to friends, sue me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Anyone have some good literature to support a universal healthcare argument? I was debating this with a friend who seemed relatively open to the idea and mostly seemed resistant on the basis of "gov't is incompetent".

Most other Western countries have some version of universal healthcare. If Canada can do it, why not the USA?

However your friend may have a point. If Trump gets elected he's going to tear down the tiny bit of progress Obama achieved. So if the US healthcare system is continually sabotaged by Republicans, how is it possible?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ice Phisherman posted:

Wouldn't even be that hard.

A massive solar flare would fry most new technology on the planet. All of that data and a society and depends on computers declines precipitously overnight.
Climate change forces people to move/flee. Political instability follows in its wake.
Resource wars.
A new disease sweeps the world. Doesn't even have to be black death. The Spanish flu killed 10% of the world.
Limited war between nations. The Koreas or India/Pakistan. Imagine some of the largest cities in the world suddenly not being there anymore and what kind of panic that would cause. That's if they don't go nuclear.

For one that is definitely going to happen you'll see robotics and early AI that replaces the jobs of most people and it's only scaling up. Nothing like massive unemployment to make life fun.

The stability of the world is fragile. Don't assume it can take too many shocks. OR really any one big shock and fully recover.

When western / developed countries start actually seeing the effects of global warming poo poo will get interesting really fast.

So like 20 years... tops.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ice Phisherman posted:

This is pretty reductionist. The 19th and 20th centuries have been outliers in terms of world history because we haven't regressed too far socially or technologically. All throughout history there were social, political and technological backslides. For example the Romans built the triple walls of Constantinople that allowed it to exist all the way up to the middle of the 15th century but they sure as poo poo couldn't make new walls like those elsewhere. The technology was lost. The Roman empire for all of its faults was stable and prosperous until it wasn't and fell into dozens upon dozens of successor states and kingdoms in which the Catholic church was really the only binding force left in the west and not really suited to the task of governance.

There is no line that's better to worse or worse to better in history. History is not a discipline for people who want easy black and white answers. It's full of grey areas, heavy nuance and unknowns. I would even say that times back then were better in some ways despite the ignorance and cruelty as humans didn't have the power to exterminate themselves in nuclear fire. A power which I trust in the hands of no one.

Historically progress "forwards" as you would call it is not steadily forward. We're in a weird time right now where things are better for the average Joe and Jane. We know that history is full of declines and collapses of all kinds. The fact that we haven't had one in a long time is an outlier.

Occasional backslides don't mean there isn't a general tendency for things to get better through history. I'm tempted to post that "how global warming skeptics look at temperature change" picture. By pretty much every metric the human condition has continued to get better over time, and the fact that we haven't had a backslide in a while is itself part of that continued development.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I agree with your point but given how information is disseminated so easily now wouldn't that make such a profound technological backslide less likely? Unless of course we had mass nuclear war or something like that, I could easily see a big backslide in that case.

Cingulate posted:

I'm not saying it's only up, all the time (see: Trump as a presidential candidate). But the long-term trend is up, up, up.

Ian Morris's The Measure of Civilization basically validates everyone's opinion, which is to say there have been series of rises and collapses (and no one's quite sure why our current civilization hasn't collapsed as scheduled; Morris argues that luck allowed us to get sufficiently far that we discovered fossil fuels, which are really useful for keeping the lights on and systems relatively functional even when there's civilizational turbulance), but that on the whole human civilization has never been more developed (with the likes of Pinkner arguing that despite obvious and very loud conflicts humanity has never been more peaceful).

RVProfootballer posted:

You were talking about something like social/societal progress over time, right? Ignoring differences between regions in the same time, taking any particular issue, I think it is difficult to see a consistent upward trend from pre-history to now. Persecution of religious or ethnic or sexual or political minorities has risen and fallen more than simply improved linearly. Ancient Greece, some eras of Rome, the Enlightenment, French Revolution and Napoleonic era, and yeah during the latter half of the 20th century have been good in some respects (and bad in others). Caveat that I am not a historian and not a lay expert by any means, just a history nerd. But reading about the Roman republic and early French revolution is kinda sobering in how they had a ton right hundreds and thousands of years ago.

But this is the thing, I'm thinking of things in terms of economic and social development whereas if you want to wade into whether or not a society is better re: rights then things get very subjective very quickly. But I honestly can't think of times when more people were more well-off and less dead/literally starving than when they are now, or literally any time period in the past where I'd want to be other than the present day. The Roman Republic and early French Revolution are cool time periods but they were still pretty lovely for lots of people. :shrug:

Also none of this excuses the massive geographic and economic inequalities that still exist but I can't allow those to negate the billions who have been lifted out of hyperextreme poverty.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

awesmoe posted:

Why the assumption that people have to post poo poo constantly in this thread? If it's not about politics then don't loving post it because nobody cares outside the dozen or so usual boring suspects.
Of course it's way too late at this point, the thread is unreadable and completely useless as a politics resource. But at least everyone has a thread to chat in.

you've made three posts and two are to complain the thread is off-topic too much

be the change you wish to see

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

They used to probate people who tried to give actual health advice to people who just wanted to slurp bacon grease with every meal.

And on the flip side, now because of those idiots, anyone attempting keto/low carb gets laughed out of the forum.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I've been eating a balanced diet of meat and vegetables alongside working out at the gym over the past three months and I still have lost only a few pounds total, from a max of 202. I'm beginning to think not trying was more satisfying.
Its about body composition too. If the scale isn't moving but your clothes fit better and you look better, you're still winning. Its not all about numbers on the scale.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

You were talking about something like social/societal progress over time, right? Ignoring differences between regions in the same time, taking any particular issue, I think it is difficult to see a consistent upward trend from pre-history to now. Persecution of religious or ethnic or sexual or political minorities has risen and fallen more than simply improved linearly. Ancient Greece, some eras of Rome, the Enlightenment, French Revolution and Napoleonic era, and yeah during the latter half of the 20th century have been good in some respects (and bad in others). Caveat that I am not a historian and not a lay expert by any means, just a history nerd. But reading about the Roman republic and early French revolution is kinda sobering in how they had a ton right hundreds and thousands of years ago.
Ancient Greece and Rome were good with regards to nice marble statues and architecture, but they were also slave societies. Look at how Sparta treated the helots - hunting human beings like animals in an annual ritual. With regards to Human rights, most of the most abhorrent civilizations of the 19th and 20th century were better than Rome.

Sure, they're important steps in the bumpy roads towards progress, but on the other hand, genocidal slave societies.

And as for it being difficult to see consistent trends:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

They used to probate people who tried to give actual health advice to people who just wanted to slurp bacon grease with every meal.

I mean that was more than half a decade ago

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Lynn outburst the other day about how I told peOpel how I can't afford to not not vote Clinton? It was directed at guys like this.

gently caress You Mr. Varges.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shook Nate is at it again

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-is-just-a-normal-polling-error-behind-clinton/

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WampaLord posted:

And on the flip side, now because of those idiots, anyone attempting keto/low carb gets laughed out of the forum.

Just try not to post things like "APPLES? Why kill yourself? You might as well eat a whole chocolate cake!" and you'll be fine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Still less gross than some of the moderation in this subforum re: black posters.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Iceland is kind of a special case considering that more people work for Target in the US than live there.

Absolutely. It's just been in the press a lot because of the Pirate Party, which I'll admit is interesting. On the other hand, the Pirate Party has 15 seats in the Berlin Parliament, and Berlin is about 10x the population of Iceland, it's just not sovereign. Not that any states are truly sovereign. :tinfoil:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I kinda blame Nate for nose-diving his operation and the quality of politics related threads.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Ian Morris's The Measure of Civilization basically validates everyone's opinion, which is to say there have been series of rises and collapses (and no one's quite sure why our current civilization hasn't collapsed as scheduled; Morris argues that luck allowed us to get sufficiently far that we discovered fossil fuels, which are really useful for keeping the lights on and systems relatively functional even when there's civilizational turbulance), but that on the whole human civilization has never been more developed (with the likes of Pinkner arguing that despite obvious and very loud conflicts humanity has never been more peaceful).
My dad loves that book. I haven't come around to really read it though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Harrow posted:

Why's that, out of curiosity?

YLLS/W&W used to have an extremely rigid orthodoxy of dumb minimalist workout programs and hardline low-carb or "clean eating" philosophies, that's pretty much entirely dead now though and it's much more sane.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

Still less gross than some of the moderation in this subforum re: black posters.

loving seriously.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just got an email from Hillary Clinton with the subject line "Stop Refreshing 538".

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nonsense posted:

South Carolina made a victim of police brutality into the bad guy, and a county that is nearly half African American, made a jury of 11 white folk declare Walter Scott a violent criminal.

Wait did they already come back with a verdict for the guy that shot him? Wikipedia indicates the trial is still going.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

greatn posted:

I just got an email from Hillary Clinton with the subject line "Stop Refreshing 538".

she's right

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In case you're wondering, you can look up what the current tariff rates are on a wide variety of items:
https://hts.usitc.gov/

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

YLLS/W&W used to have an extremely rigid orthodoxy of dumb minimalist workout programs and hardline low-carb or "clean eating" philosophies, that's pretty much entirely dead now though and it's much more sane.

Yeah, I was gonna say. It used to be terrible (and some of the fashion threads still are), but it's actually not too bad any more. It all boils down to "do what works for you."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Democrats and their surveillance state, smh.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cingulate posted:

The Romans nailed 6000 slaves to crosses alongside the Appina way. They had some impressive architecture that was hardly matched within Europe for a few hundred years, but it also took some time to match them with regards to genocide. And the loss of technology after the dark ages is usually overstated.

There's a massive tendency better to worse in the history of humanity. Just consider the fraction of the population that's enslaved, or starving, or victim of war, or unable to read, or dying before adulthood, or ... Anything, really.

I'm not saying it's only up, all the time (see: Trump as a presidential candidate). But the long-term trend is up, up, up.

You're talking about the Servile Wars. Yes, those were bad. Genocides and mass death to the Romans were nothing new. However just a few hundred years later there was a slave shortage because the empire wasn't expanding and it was in vogue to release slaves from bondage. It created massive instability as there was this sudden slave shortage in an economy that was based on slavery. Tit for tat if we're talking about specific instances in history.

What you're talking about is a tiny blip in history. I'm talking about long term trends. Pull your focus back a bit. Rises and falls of cities, nations, empires and even people happen throughout history. There's still war, violent death, genocide, rape and slavery in our world.

History teaches us that progress is not guaranteed. We're not fundamentally better than our ancestors. The bar is raised because our ancestors raised it for us. We're not that much different from humans a thousand years ago. Just better educated, better fed and less accustomed to bloodshed. That can change.

I'm not saying that things can't get better. It may even be better for the entirety of my lifetime. However I'm a realist and a student of history. Perpetually ongoing progress is an outlier. Full stop.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

But this is the thing, I'm thinking of things in terms of economic and social development whereas if you want to wade into whether or not a society is better re: rights then things get very subjective very quickly. But I honestly can't think of times when more people were more well-off and less dead/literally starving than when they are now, or literally any time period in the past where I'd want to be other than the present day. The Roman Republic and early French Revolution are cool time periods but they were still pretty lovely for lots of people. :shrug:

Also none of this excuses the massive geographic and economic inequalities that still exist but I can't allow those to negate the billions who have been lifted out of hyperextreme poverty.

Yeah, I also think this is fair in general. It still is frustrating that we had good ideas about how to be less lovely human beings 2500 years ago and have not been able to put it into practice consistently.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why is he caring about a national average 4 days from the election? You don't win through the popular vote.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

... is there any way to become an American citizen before Nov 8th and add my vote to the Abuelapile?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are mcmagic and nate silver the same person

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is he caring about a national average 4 days from the election? You don't win through the popular vote.

He's lending whatever credence Trump supporters need to claim fraud.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A linear view of history conveniently ignores everything outside of Western Civ too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A linear view of history conveniently ignores everything outside of Western Civ too.

Gods Germs & Trump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I too am on the Keto diet.

I'm on the Kelo diet, when I see food I reassign its ownership for the common good

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Knew a girl way back in the day who said she was vegetarian because she could never eat anything with a face. Now what is that girl going to eat?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cingulate posted:

My dad loves that book. I haven't come around to really read it though.

Morris's stuff is really interesting and most importantly he's constantly pointing out how spotty the historical record is and where the evidence falls short or he has to substitute other stuff. I love works that honestly critique themselves.

In USPOL/tech news: prisoners are literally going to pay through the nose to access basic services forever, aren't they?

quote:

A ruling on Wednesday from the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit granted a petition for a stay filed by Securus Technologies. This puts a halt to rate caps on inmate calling services that were implemented in August.

“Petitioners have satisfied the stringent requirements for a stay pending court review,” judges wrote.

The FCC has repeatedly been stymied in attempts to lower the rates inmates pay for phone calls to family, friends, and lawyers. After a March 2016 federal appeals court ruling stayed new rate caps of 11˘ to 22˘ per minute on both interstate and intrastate calls from prisons, the FCC proposed new caps of 13˘ to 31˘ per minute in an attempt to satisfy the court. Those new caps were halted in this week's ruling.

As we’ve previously written, prison phone companies Global Tel*Link (GTL) and Securus Technologies argued that the FCC's limits fell short of what the companies are contractually obligated to pay in "site commissions" to correctional facilities. Though the FCC hasn’t tried to ban or limit the site commissions, the commission argued that the latest caps would better account for the companies’ costs

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So uh, Giuliani flapping his mouth like this means that once Hillary is elected the Hatch Act comes down like a hammer right?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

:tinfoil:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cingulate posted:

The Romans nailed 6000 slaves to crosses alongside the Appina way.

I always thought Steve Jobs invented the Killer App, but it looks like the Romans beat him to it. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Cingulate posted:

... is there any way to become an American citizen before Nov 8th and add my vote to the Abuelapile?

If you're willing to travel to Delaware, I am more than happy to let you impersonate me on election day.

• Locked thread