Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As far as slavery goes you really couldn't do better than being a slave in the Roman Empire. American slavery was much worse by nearly every metric.

Fart-huffing white twats like him have no concept of what chattel slavery was and they will :smug: at every thing you try to say on the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The infuriating thing about you is you're too ignorant to even suspect you might be ignorant. Choke on your own dick.

Why are you so hostile? It's inevitable things are better in the world than ancient Rome. That doesn't seem like a controversial statement.

Is there some other context going on here?

Edit: Oh he's comparing to 19th century slavery? I thought he was taking about modern poverty.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

fishmech posted:

Er, are you really not aware that there's tons of tariffs and taxes on imports and exports with America already? We've never had any agreements with the People's Republic of China to reduce tariffs, for instance. And we also have the full scale tariffs and so on with most of the various cheap labor nations.

Yes, but there has been increasing pressure from both parties to move forward with free trade agreements. Furthermore, it's clear that these tariffs are likely not high enough as we have far too many takers (companies are happy to make what they used to make here overseas and then reimport). I think it's a pretty simple analysis to determine that we are undercharging.

Ultimately I want the United States to be run as a very green and socially conscious public company. The first obligation is to the shareholders, just don't gently caress up the planet while doing it and beat your competition handily, but fairly without leaving them destitute and starving with no healthcare.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

America is still a slave society.

The American Prospect ran this essay in May 2014 - "The Great American Chain Gang" - about (nonexistent) labor rights in prison.

quote:

Employment law is supposed to rely on a three-pronged test to determine whether two people are engaged in an employee-employer relationship: Are they producing something of value? Are they getting paid for their work? Do they have a supervisor telling them what to do? Prison jobs meet all three criteria. “The puzzle,” Zatz says, “is the way in which courts have a strong instinct: No, there’s something different here. And then they run around in circles trying to figure out what that something different is.”

For one brief moment, in 1992, prison-labor reform looked possible. Since the 1970s, a group of inmate workers in Arizona and their lawyer, Michael St. George, had pursued a case further and further up the courts, finally convincing the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, in Hale v. Arizona, that the Fair Labor Standards Act should apply to them. It appeared as though Arizona prisons would have to start paying inmates minimum wage. The ripple effect would have been enormous: Americans would have been forced not only to rethink their views of prisoners’ rights but to reconsider the prison system altogether. The country could not afford to incarcerate 1.6 million people if they all had workers’ rights.

But it never came to that. The state appealed the decision, the Ninth Circuit reheard the case with 11 judges instead of the original 3-judge panel, and the court overturned its own ruling the following year. Why? When you ask St. George to explain the court’s logic, his voice carries decades’ worth of weariness: “The Ninth Circuit decided,” he says, “that the Fair Labor Standards Act didn’t apply to those inmates, because they were prisoners.”

It's very, very good and very relevant in light of the ongoing prison strike. And again I think the Prospect deserves some props for running this back in the spring of 2014 rather than just reacting to the news.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AriadneThread posted:

prison for profit pipeline
the dollop did an episode about convict leasing which is exactly what it says on the tin
kids for cash was a big scandal since it effected white people
there's more examples out there, i'm sure

And that's not even touching the depressing reality of human trafficking AKA modern slavery today. :smith:

Apparently human trafficking is a big problem behind the scenes in Ohio and Gov. Kasich apparently signed some bills to help fight it with stronger punishments for traffickers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Why are you so hostile? It's inevitable things are better in the world than ancient Rome. That doesn't seem like a controversial statement.

Is there some other context going on here?

I just randomly decided this well was a good place to piss.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I also think this is fair in general. It still is frustrating that we had good ideas about how to be less lovely human beings 2500 years ago and have not been able to put it into practice consistently.

Yeah, absolutely! It's so depressing when you find out about these pockets of the planet that for very brief moments seemed to have something approaching freedom aaaaand they then immediately get torn to shreds. (My favorite/least favorite case: Berlin in the 1920s and 30s :saddowns:)

I would also say that it's perfectly possible to write about history as a general march towards progress without ignoring non-Western civilization and the horrific atrocities that have caused so many immense suffering, as well as the inequities between and within countries, continents, and societies; Morris spends at least half his time deeply analyzing Asia and even Crazy Diamond's book is also at least half about the Americas (although he's still too glossy obviously and ignores the rest of the world way too often).

But it's remarkably unsatisfying to say that everything's better when there's still so much more to be done, so I prefer to just use this as knowledge that it can get better and the slow grind of incrementalism really can work. Sometimes it feels like progress is an impossibility or meaningless, but knowing how far as a civilization and a species we've come really keeps me working and volunteering towards an even better future for everyone. :)

...is what I say to myself at night while I check election news. Again, backslides are possible, and might even be permanent.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As far as slavery goes you really couldn't do better than being a slave in the Roman Empire. American slavery was much worse by nearly every metric.

Yeah outside of being a mine slave you had legal protections.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/794605643965628417

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, please don't constantly refresh 538, it's not doing anything good for your mental health. Until there's a report that Pennsylvania is in jeopardy, remain calm. Or go volunteer and hang out with people that also share similar views as you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, please don't constantly refresh 538, it's not doing anything good for your mental health. Until there's a report that Pennsylvania is in jeopardy, remain calm. Or go volunteer and hang out with people that also share similar views as you.

In possible uplifting news:

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/794613004113428481

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Well, I could read that two ways...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lol, nope.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/794614301436813313

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Guarantee he's full of poo poo.

Lol, beaten, more or less

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Slavery in Rome was so diverse and in some cases so different from what we understand these kinds of comparisons are pretty useless in my opinion.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Forgive me, but I don't see the upside in criticizing Nate Silver and characterizing the race as a done deal for Clinton. Elections aren't won on the back of complacency and good feelings. They're won with sweat and hard work. If you want to see Democrats win, then don't just sup on reassurances here. Let the 538 forecast light a fire of panic under you. Donate your money. Donate your time. Volunteer for get out the vote efforts, should you live in a state that's in play, or a state or district with a competitive congressional race. There's four days 'til the election. It's all hands on deck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

seiferguy posted:

Well, I could read that two ways...

Coming doozy?

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

MaxxBot posted:

You don't know the pain of being a former fatty, the messed up appetite never really goes away, you just learn to manage it. I would probably have to eat literally like 25 cans of sardines to be full but I wouldn't because that sounds gross.

Haha, I actually do. I lost 70 pounds with the help of watch and weight nearly a decade ago. The six pack abs I got back then are gone, but I never got as fat as I had been, and I get my weight back in control much more easily than I did the first time with simple principles like steering clear of sugars and starches and eating meals that are high in fat and protein and low in carbs.

It's possible that your satiety response is absolutely hosed up, but then again I don't know. Like literally try eating a can of sardines and then wait 30 minutes and see if you still feel very hungry. I can't imagine it, and I'm someone who can easily solo crush a large pizza or box of cheez-its in a half hour.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Yeah, absolutely! It's so depressing when you find out about these pockets of the planet that for very brief moments seemed to have something approaching freedom aaaaand they then immediately get torn to shreds. (My favorite/least favorite case: Berlin in the 1920s and 30s :saddowns:)

My personal 'favorite' is the crushing of Toussaint L'Overture's Haitian democratic revolt, courtesy of the Defenders of Freedom and Democracy, America, right after own revolution for freedom. :911:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

CascadeBeta posted:

My problem is that I can't stand any veggies. Like they all taste like total garbage to me. I can coat them or cook them or whatever but they're still the poo poo I can't stand at the core. I'm not kidding about my pallette age being pathetic.

Jesus nothing is going on today, huh?

Diet is interesting.

I actually kind of wonder if you could just free-associate and list the top 5 or so things that pop into mind when you think 'vegetables.' Like if you're in the grocery, and you feel that twang of 'god I gotta start eating better' and wander over to the produce, what would you grab first? Attempt to make?

This is 100% anecdotal from someone who has recently gone through a similar phase of deciding that my palate is embarrassing and trying to expand borders but I had a huge unquestioned Brassica bias and that's deffo a strong, pervasive flavor that you have to mostly cook around, not through. But a huge amount of veggies are... well, I don't want to say bland, but much more neutral flavors? Make a frittata with 60% zucchini 40% egg and you're not going to taste the zucchini, is what I'm saying.

Also it's hard to go wrong with stir fry.

vvv Holy poo poo Roman slavery is so completely different (and, I think, vastly preferable to, though I'm no classicist) either form of modern slavery you mention, how are you straight-facedly making the comparison :psyduck:

Like, cingulate, I know you're not a bad-faith poster, but holy poo poo have you yet to internalize that the life experiences and mental faculties of a German statistician are not the unimpeachable peak of neutral informed critical thinking, particularly w/r/t race, US history, and contemporary English usage

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sure there are slave societies. They still exist. Look to Dubai to get an example of that The FIFA world cup stadium there has a four digit body count attached to it and those people are slaves. In the US the slave trade is alive and well because it's linked with the sex trade. Beyond that slavery is still legal in the US as long as they are prisoners. Slavery never really went away. Its just not as wide spread and quieter.

Slavery was A THING in the US up until World War 2. In the backwaters of the deep South in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama there were still slaves. They were just imprisoned for whatever and then forced to work because the 13th amendment had a loophole.

Slavery is still legal on the books in the US. It just isn't practiced now in that name due to the stigma attached to it. However you don't imagine that right after that was passed that people used that loophole to get those newly freed hands back to work? Perhaps you need to brush up on your history before you make broad, sweeping statements.
The difference is that while there are still factual slaves in the US and Dubai, Rome was a whole empire built entirely on slavery, and on constantly invading its neighbors. Rome is worse than the US in the same way that the antebellum south was worse than Sweden.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I would also say that it's perfectly possible to write about history as a general march towards progress without ignoring non-Western civilization and the horrific atrocities that have caused so many immense suffering, as well as the inequities between and within countries, continents, and societies; Morris spends at least half his time deeply analyzing Asia and even Crazy Diamond's book is all about (although he's still too glossy for my tastes).

But it's remarkably unsatisfying to say that everything's better when there's still so much more to be done, so I prefer to just use this as knowledge that it can get better and the slow grind of incrementalism really can work. Sometimes it feels like progress is an impossibility or meaningless, but knowing how far as a civilization and a species we've come really keeps me working and volunteering towards an even better future for everyone. :)

...is what I say to myself at night while I check election news. Again, backslides are possible, and might even be permanent.

I agree with this, basically. It's also an important point for me personally because a lot of the people I've ever talked to who disagreed with the idea that broadly speaking the world is getting better turned out to be assholes who fetishized the past because they low key wanted to have "servants" (cough cough) and also stop women from talking back to them. Or they were straight up nazis.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mr. Belding posted:

Yes, but there has been increasing pressure from both parties to move forward with free trade agreements. Furthermore, it's clear that these tariffs are likely not high enough as we have far too many takers (companies are happy to make what they used to make here overseas and then reimport). I think it's a pretty simple analysis to determine that we are undercharging.

Ultimately I want the United States to be run as a very green and socially conscious public company. The first obligation is to the shareholders, just don't gently caress up the planet while doing it and beat your competition handily, but fairly without leaving them destitute and starving with no healthcare.

Free trade is good. Companies will not magically move their industries back here if we raise tariffs super high.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

A judge in Cleveland has issued a temporary restraining order against the Trump campaign.

What this article fails to mention is that the restraining order was issued because the judge agreed that the Trump campaign was planning to violate the Ku Klux Klan Act.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these retards need to stop twitter hyping. it's never anything good.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mr. Belding posted:

I know what you are getting at but I don't want any country in the world run like a company, full stop. A nation run like a corporation was tried once, and it was called Fascism.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

The difference is that while there are still factual slaves in the US and Dubai, Rome was a whole empire built entirely on slavery, and on constantly invading its neighbors. Rome is worse than the US in the same way that the antebellum south was worse than Sweden.

"The only thing that matters in every conversation is that I get to feel smart. I will contort my arguments, ignore all context, and drag the goalpost all over the field in pursuit of this. There are no facts. There are only my feelings."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

Forgive me, but I don't see the upside in criticizing Nate Silver and characterizing the race as a done deal for Clinton. Elections aren't won on the back of complacency and good feelings. They're won with sweat and hard work. If you want to see Democrats win, then don't just sup on reassurances here. Let the 538 forecast light a fire of panic under you. Donate your money. Donate your time. Volunteer for get out the vote efforts, should you live in a state that's in play, or a state or district with a competitive congressional race. There's four days 'til the election. It's all hands on deck.

No one here is discouraging any of the stuff you posted, we're in favor of all of that. We also like to make fun of Shook Nate and bring up relevant criticisms of his model.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Agean90 posted:

Yeah outside of being a mine slave you had legal protections.

It was loving awful being a slave in Ancient Rome, but it was loving awful being pretty much everyone except from a wealthy family. The advantage for slaves is that it was *possible* to gain your freedom and even become rich if you were motivated and lucky. Race was not an indelible mark.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, ran across something funny/eye-opening.

I was doing my once every 2 year ritual of examining the judicial performance survey from the Iowa State Bar to see how to vote in retentions. No one has any endorsements from a DA or police union or anything like that, so this is all I have to go on. They always say to retain everybody, but if I see a judge in the 60's or 70's percent retain (most are mid-90's) then I keep them in mind to vote no. In my area there were 15 judges and 4 scored poorly (relatively) so I was all set to uselessly vote no on those 4 judges who will all be retained anyway.

I saw a biographical link to see the judges. Thought "interesting, lets see what these faceless names look like". There are 15 judges on my ballot. 2 black men, 7 white women, and 6 white men. Guess in which 2 of those 3 groups had the 4 who scored poorly?

Yep. Not sure what to do now. I think I'll just vote no on all the white men out of spite, since again this is a waste of time anyway, no one is losing this retention election.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

these retards need to stop twitter hyping. it's never anything good.

Come on Ms. Coulter, you aren’t dumb and you aren’t shallow. So why are you continually using a word like the R-word as an insult?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah you really could. There were several different sorts of slavery at work there, and a lot of them were very bad. The slaves they sent to the mines or various othe rbig projects basically had death sentences versus highly educated and trained doctor/teacher "slaves" that were ffectively freer than the common "free" man.

Mr. Belding posted:

I don't think you understand free trade agreements, and "undercharging" is bullshit. There are many categories of goods out there where the effective total import costs are over 100% of value regardless of trade agreements. Sugar is currently so highly tariffed and restricted for import that sugar prices in America are double the normal global cost. It's impractically expensive to import paper clips. There's all sorts of stuff like that.

And once again none of the free trade things really take away jobs, because they only start cropping up once the jobs have already left. The bulk-work factories we used to have for cheap domestic crap are obsolete, and even if we banned all imports tomorrow morning and opened them all back up, employment would be a fraction of what it used to be for things from clothing to cheap children's toys to computers.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Side note: I think 'the Klu Klux Klutz' is a great petty nickname for Trump.

Thoughts?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Twitter was a mistake.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cingulate posted:

It's actually an exponential view :agesilaus:

And no, I am not talking about just the West. Everything is better than it's been ever before. China, Africa,- right now, the lone exception is the Middle East, which has not really improved over the past decades.

Basically every pre-1800 society, large and small, was terrible by today's standards. ISIS is basically just a glance in our past.

So do you want to compare the Belgian Congo to Rome and keep saying process is a linear phenomenon? It's not a guarantee, it's a victory pried bit by bit from the fingertips of people opposing it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Omar coming

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Side note: I think 'the Klu Klux Klutz' is a great petty nickname for Trump.

Thoughts?

Solid.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's a shame we can get word filters for "cvcked" but not for "retard"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

https://twitter.com/jbg/status/794615964025450496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU