Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

coyo7e posted:

Sorry for the double post but I had no idea this was available online anywhere for free anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Mutant-Chronicles-Thomas-Jane/dp/B008P3G3KU/ref=sr_1_17?s=instant-video&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1477878477&sr=1-17

Best kept a secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Sicario is on Amazon Prime and is quite the mindfuck. Recommended.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Looking at the description and I am definitely watching this tonight. Do you have other gritty crime dramas that are off the beaten path I can watch too?

Besides the obvious Memento, Blade Runner, and Se7en, try The Ninth Gate. To be clear, I'm interpreting your request as gritty crime dramas that skew from formula, not little known but excellent noir. For the latter, try Payback, The Man who Wasn't There, Deep Cover, or Memories of Murder.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think this might be uk only but cowboy bebop is on netflix. Its the only good anime.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Sicario is on Amazon Prime and is quite the mindfuck. Recommended.

Hulu has it as well. I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Good call on Angel Heart, thread. That was such a great flick in every way.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
FilmStruck is live.

You can browse the library at https://watch.filmstruck.com/#!/browse-all/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Call Me Charlie posted:

FilmStruck is live.

Oh god. I'm in just for the Kurosawa.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Call Me Charlie posted:

FilmStruck is live.

Freaking fantastic selection. Very tempting...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Does Criterion have plans for a Filmstruck Playstation app? Their press release didn't reference one.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
If anyone gets a subscription, can they let me know how Filmstruck is with captioning/subtitling for the English language? Mubi doesn't do it, and it was basically the only reason why I cancelled my subscription.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Does Criterion have plans for a Filmstruck Playstation app? Their press release didn't reference one.

I've been waiting for news on that since the first announcement, but they haven't said anything about it yet. I wouldn't count on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rngd in the womb posted:

If anyone gets a subscription, can they let me know how Filmstruck is with captioning/subtitling for the English language? Mubi doesn't do it, and it was basically the only reason why I cancelled my subscription.

It has English subtitles but I literally can't figure out how to turn them on in the Fire TV app. They added subtitles/settings in the upper right hand corner when in a movie but there's seemingly no way to get to that part. (i imagine it's working on the actual android app since you can tap the screen)

Basebf555 posted:

I've been waiting for news on that since the first announcement, but they haven't said anything about it yet. I wouldn't count on it.

They're working on it.

FilmStruck's facebook posted:

You'll find us on Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android & the web starting October 19, and on Apple TV in November.

And rest assured: We'll keep hard at work on our platform builds in the coming months. We have Roku, Chromecast, PS4 & Xbox One slated for release in the coming months.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 1, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't really see a reason to count it out. HBOGo didn't have an app on PS4 until like 8 months in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Big Eyes is on Netflix and it is by FAR the best thing Tim Burton has done since Ed Wood. Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams are absolutely amazing in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Big Eyes is on Netflix and it is by FAR the best thing Tim Burton has done since Ed Wood. Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams are absolutely amazing in it.

I really enjoy Christoph Waltz' gradual turn in that.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Into the Inferno is Herzog as gently caress.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

fishtobaskets posted:

I loved this poo poo. It's much more than just looking at volcanoes... the Ethiopia and North Korea segments were especially cool. I've been to a couple of the Indonesian locales featured in the film so that was a real treat for me. Herzog is a loving world treasure.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 2, 2016

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

fishtobaskets posted:

Yes. It was all over the map figuratively and literally. I enjoyed it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A little late for Halloween, but if you're looking for some campy 80s horror and have Hulu, check out Intruder. Somehow I'd never heard of it, but it's a decent slasher that takes place in a grocery store after hours. Bruce Campbell and both Ted and Sam Raimi are in it along with one of the girls from Sleepaway Camp.

Although I thought it was good overall, it contains possibly the worst fight scene ever recorded on film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

Absolutely, gonna watch it at least twice more because goddamn, reality has good graphics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

we are the Funyuns posted:

A little late for Halloween, but if you're looking for some campy 80s horror and have Hulu, check out Intruder. Somehow I'd never heard of it, but it's a decent slasher that takes place in a grocery store after hours. Bruce Campbell and both Ted and Sam Raimi are in it along with one of the girls from Sleepaway Camp.

Although I thought it was good overall, it contains possibly the worst fight scene ever recorded on film.

It was cleaned up for the Blu-Ray release. Is it in HD on Hulu?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Prime has Rollerball this month, I don't know what kind of human being you are if you're not psyched about that. Avoid the 2002 remake like the plague, however.

Jonathan! Jonathan!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Call Me Charlie posted:

It has English subtitles but I literally can't figure out how to turn them on in the Fire TV app. They added subtitles/settings in the upper right hand corner when in a movie but there's seemingly no way to get to that part. (i imagine it's working on the actual android app since you can tap the screen)

Totally missed this earlier. Thanks for letting me know!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Filthy Hans posted:

Jonathan! Jonathan!

I like that the signs that the fans were holding and the LED signs on the arena said "Jon-A-Ton" on them, clearly being instructions for the crowd of extras on how to say "Jonathan" with a vaguely eastern european accent.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are there any good Hong Kong action movies on Netflix or Prime at the moment? I'd prefer something akin to Hard Boiled or The Killer than, say, Ip Man.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Are there any good Hong Kong action movies on Netflix or Prime at the moment? I'd prefer something akin to Hard Boiled or The Killer than, say, Ip Man.

Most of that kind of stuff seems to be coming out of Korea now. Right now Netflix has No Tears For the Dead, which I understand is pretty decent, and The Man From Nowhere, which is great but you've probably seen it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, The Man from Nowhere rules. I was wondering if there might be a hidden gem of some kind that I'd overlooked, but maybe it's just slim pickings right now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Most of that kind of stuff seems to be coming out of Korea now. Right now Netflix has No Tears For the Dead, which I understand is pretty decent, and The Man From Nowhere, which is great but you've probably seen it.

Tears is not that great, IMO. But if you like weeper Korean action stuff, give it a look.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was cleaned up for the Blu-Ray release. Is it in HD on Hulu?

No. It looked OK, but wasn't HD.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
A ton of Bond movies popped up recently on Amazon and Hulu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

we are the Funyuns posted:

No. It looked OK, but wasn't HD.

That's too bad, it looked fantastic. Still, really fun movie, I was surprised I'd never even heard of it (alright, not that surprised with that boring title).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
New Series of Unfortunate Events teaser popped up. Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is cool, the show looks great, Neil Patrick Harris looks good as Olaf, but I don't know about the voice. Also, Barry Sonnenfeld is directing every episode, so who knows if it'll actually be good...Hopefully Nine Lives was so terrible because he was too busy actually working on this...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you have Netflix streaming, you should definitely watch Marguerite. Very romantic, very awkward, very good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Also, Barry Sonnenfeld is directing every episode, so who knows if it'll actually be good...Hopefully Nine Lives was so terrible because he was too busy actually working on this...

That just seems ... odd. Sonnenfeld's output as a director hit a pretty hard wall of diminishing returns after the first Men in Black.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He was supposed to direct the original film adaptation

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
From Wikipedia

quote:

" In June 2002, Barry Sonnenfeld was hired to direct. He was chosen because he previously collaborated with Rudin and because of his black comedy directing style from The Addams Family, Addams Family Values and Get Shorty. Sonnenfeld referred to the Lemony Snicket books as his favorite children's stories. The director hired Handler to write the script with the intention of making Lemony Snicket as a musical, and cast Jim Carrey as Count Olaf in September 2002
The film suffered setbacks in development in December 2002. Rudin left Unfortunate Events over budget concerns. While Sonnenfeld and Carrey remained, Sonnenfeld admitted he was skeptical of Paramount's $100 million budget. The studio decided that changing the shoot from Hollywood to Wilmington, North Carolina would be less expensive. The April 2003 start date was also pushed back. Paramount eventually settled the situation in January 2003 by enlisting help from DreamWorks to co-finance the film, but Sonnenfeld vacated the director's position. Rudin and Sonnenfeld had no involvement with the film afterward, but were credited as executive producers. Carrey remained with approval over the hiring of the next director."
If he's doing this now seems like he is genuine in having an attachment to the franchise

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Wrapped up the new season of Black Mirror. I felt that the first and last episodes were probably the weakest, but still OK to good.

San Junipero was a neat change, but a little sappy in spots. Also, not entirely sure that it's a "happy" episode, but certainly brighter than the rest. Once you kinda figured out that they were in some kind of simulation (which was relatively early), it lost a lot of it's gas. I don't think I could see myself re-watching it, but an overall good idea. I also love how "San Junipero" instantly sounds like a retirement community once you get the context.

Hated in the Nation (the final episode) was interesting right up until the ending when they stuck on that weak epilogue. I guess that was supposed to make us feel better that HE DIDN'T GET AWAY WITH IT! But, come on this is Black Mirror, the best parts of the show are when you get punched in the gut by the plot. I did feel like it kinda echo'd The National Anthem from Season 1, though. Which is good if this is all that ever gets made.

My favorite though was probably Playtest. It had some great fake-out jump scares and poo poo like the "software" melding his high school bully with a giant mutant spider. It really had a good descent from "goofy horror" into "terrifying experience", and the ending had that nice, solid "punch in the gut" I mentioned.

All in all, I think these six lived up to the average standard from the previous series. Although they got a little heavy handed with the exposition at times.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just saw Hacksaw Ridge about the most badass WWII soldier (who never even carried a gun) and LOooooOOOved it.

Anyone have any movie recommendations (I don't mind paying for them but if that's not in line with what this thread's about, that's fine) for movies that make me feel like less of a man and want to be better all-around? Absolutely do not need to be war related/can be about someone from any time period.

Basically, movies about great men! And/or women!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Holy poo poo, no one is talking about Undecided: The Movie and it was so good. So so good. One of those movies where I'd recommend just watching it, don't bother with a trailer or reviews. I don't know when Netflix added it, but it's a great way to spend a couple hours if you can still laugh at this election.