Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Some good throwback poo poo I saw while reading about Arzy and Toxxing: Toxxing for McCain in 2012

Also re: fitness chat, I'm late to the party with this, but SWIMMING IS AMAZING. Seriously!! It takes a while to get used to (ie you have to actually have someone teach you decent swimming form to be able to swim laps) but it's absolutely magical once you do. I've been in a basic swimming class for the past couple months and now that I've gotten to a point where I'm not basically drowning myself with my bad swimming form, it's a really, really nice way to do cardio. It's a huge full body workout, low impact, and is a great way to burn gobs and gobs of calories, partly because being in cold water in and of itself makes you burn calories to keep from going into hypothermia. Also it's great for back rehab if your back is screwed up like mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I should clarify: I know what his assumptions are, I'm just wondering why posters ITT seem to think they're unreasonable or too extreme

I think mostly people are just anxious about any chance of a Trump win, and are therefore hoping Silver is overestimating them?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ice Phisherman posted:

I remember the moment when I lost my respect for Israel. Back in 2013 it came to light that Ethiopian Jews were getting depo shots without their knowledge and against their will in Israel in order to keep them from having children. It struck me hard. The one nation I thought that they at least would reject eugenics and in the end embraced those ideals in a systemic way.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...www.google.com/

IIRC there is literally a mod in D&D that defended this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
At the rate Hillary has been dropping in the 538 nowcast, Trump will be in the lead on election day. It's been a 1-2 point drop the last few days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

I think mostly people are just anxious about any chance of a Trump win, and are therefore hoping Silver is overestimating them?

It's largely this. Even if logically Nate Silver's prediction means Clinton will probably still win nobody wants to acknowledge how frigging terrifyingly close it is.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

what

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

weekly font posted:

More that I think Nate has no barrier to entry for polls, like other aggregates do. He's letting some real garbage poo poo swing his numbers.

He doesn't discriminate. He lets any pollster in, except for an odd few who've been banned. All the the results are weighted based on pollster quality, however, and unknown pollsters aren't weighted significantly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Wisconsin Senate Poll is:

Feingold +2

And if anyone cares about Kansas, it's:

Trump: +24
Moran +64 (lol)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It is possible to say two bad things are different without meaning that one of them isn't actually bad.

Sure but it's also true that Roman slavery was in fact chattel slavery

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC there is literally a mod in D&D that defended this.

What was the reasoning?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bloops Crusts posted:

It's not the case that Silver's model is "out of whack" with the rest of the models. It simply expresses a lot more uncertainty about the outcome, which manifests as a higher probability of winning for the candidate behind in the polls and a lower probability for the candidate out front.

Look at the year we just went through. A populist groundswell. Trump. Bernie. Outsiders are in and insiders are out. You've got Emailgate, Russia, Wikileaks, and the Republican smoke machine. A huge demographic split between men and women. Civil war in the Republican Party. Only 80-some-odd percent of Republicans pledging support for the GOP nominee. Not-insignificant support for third parties, including an insurgent conservative in Utah by the name of Evan McMuffin. Two candidates with abysmal favorability ratings. Debatably low enthusiasm on both sides. In times like these, it's probably not a bad idea to err on the side of greater uncertainty.

None of those things matter, this has been the most stable election in terms of polling in recent history, Nate is shook.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

God you unbearable twat. I regret every time I try to engage with you in good faith.

Don't talk to me like we're having a conversation in good faith you incorrigible douchebag. Your views of history are childish and every time you post on anything it's to roleplay this arms-length superiority fantasy you have. "Oh I'm Cingular I'm so above it all, lol at you guys thinking problems exist, don't you know you can attain enlightenment if you literally never read or learn or thing about anything at all. Lol at you at your facts and lived experiences. Everything looks fine to me from my basement."

The infuriating thing about you is you're too ignorant to even suspect you might be ignorant. Choke on your own dick.

Fart-huffing white twats like him have no concept of what chattel slavery was and they will :smug: at every thing you try to say on the subject

I just randomly decided this well was a good place to piss.

"The only thing that matters in every conversation is that I get to feel smart. I will contort my arguments, ignore all context, and drag the goalpost all over the field in pursuit of this. There are no facts. There are only my feelings."

Some cogent points there T.B. I would suggest that if there is any comparison to be made between Roman slavery and colonial/American slavery it would be between the Southern plantation system and the Roman latifundia. Both are examples of a sort of industrialized agriculture based on vast estates owned by a small number of wealthy landowners and worked by slaves. Slaves sent to the mines were generally criminals enslaved as punishment, and so bore fewer similarities to the economic system of Southern slavery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... That, uh, that's not Philadelphia.

Edit: Also lol at the idea of finding 300,000 people in Philadelphia supporting Trump.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Its a joke. Jokes are funny. Laugh at it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ice Phisherman posted:

Actually being a Jew in the Roman empire was pretty bad too. See several suppressed revolts and the enormous body counts attached.

Being a Jew at almost any time in history has been pretty bad. Their history is caught in a constant cycle of being suppressed, enslaved and exterminated.

Yeah, like, what periods and places didn't suck for them? I know they really liked Cyrus, so I'm assuming Persia under him wasn't as bad (and I hear that in general Persia was relatively decent to Jews who lived there), but other than that I can't think of any less-than-terrible times for them off the top of my head.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Spacebump posted:

At the rate Hillary has been dropping in the 538 nowcast, Trump will be in the lead on election day. It's been a 1-2 point drop the last few days.

Momentum is dumb pundit poo poo and now cast has a lot less value when multiple major battleground states have had early voting going for weeks.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I figured that based on whatever they're calling Willis Tower now and the fact that everyone is wearing cubs gear. I just didn't get the joke, but I think my sense of humor has been thrown by having to deal with the biz bucks guy and his trumpisms at work this week.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

RVProfootballer posted:

In the BCE years, it was an officially legal religion and afaik there was not any systematic persecution. I believe the Jewish revolts were more about political power, but am not an expert. That seems qualitatively different than later persecutory anti-Semitism.

Edit: That said, we're straying pretty far from USPol haha. Happy to hear if I have any of that wrong because I am absolutely not an expert, but probably otherwise fits in a history thread so I'll shut up about it :)

this is my chance to promote the ancient world podcast, the current segment bloodlines, starting around episode 13 we end up in judea and the next couple episodes focuses on the history of the area under the roman empire

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Feldegast42 posted:

The Demoncrats have successfully summoned Satan

Cool. Has he kept the pitchfork, or upgraded to some sort of Demonic Chainsaw by now?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also lol at the idea of finding 300,000 people in Philadelphia supporting Trump.

uh please dont besmirch the Philadelphia Cubs in this, their moment of triumph. nerd

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah I figured that based on whatever they're calling Willis Tower now and the fact that everyone is wearing cubs gear. I just didn't get the joke, but I think my sense of humor has been thrown by having to deal with the biz bucks guy and his trumpisms at work this week.

Chicago had a rally today to celebrate the winningest team in baseball

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zerilan posted:

Momentum is dumb pundit poo poo and now cast has a lot less value when multiple major battleground states have had early voting going for weeks.

Don't more people vote on election day and isn't Trump expected to attract a lot of voters that don't normally vote? People that don't normally vote but decide to randomly are more likely to vote on election day.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
wow nothing cringier than Shook Nate throwing shade around

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/793997083367931904

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chicago had a rally today to celebrate the winningest team in baseball

The Yankees? :haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Radish posted:

I still think the end result will be Clinton winning by 4% popular vote and that the tightening of these week 0 polls was definitely going to happen as Republicans realized it was the rapist idiot or Hillary Clinton.

I have a weird suspicion that we're going to see a bigger popular vote margin in favor of Clinton than her EV total will suggest. Like a 2012 looking EV map, give or take, but a popular vote margin edging towards 2008.

1) Clinton is going to run up the score like CRAZY in her "safe" states. Like, Trump is going to lose some traditionally solid blue states by gigantic margins I think. This doesn't get her more EVs of course, but just inflates her popular vote total.
2) Clinton has been closer than normal in places that should be catastrophically hopeless like Texas, Georgia and Utah. She probably gets none of those states, but way more people voting for her in those places than voted for Obama will inflate her popular vote total without giving her any EVs.
3) Her GOTV organization being infinitely better than Trump's is another X factor that the polling can't give us any insight into. Is it 1%? 5% :iiam:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

P. sure that is a Cubs victory event in Chicago today.

edit: It is obviously in Chicago, I am assuming that it has something to do with the cubs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Rockford Peaches :colbert:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So any actual news or is it just drama in the 1000+ comments?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

there wolf posted:

What? What do you think chattel slavery is? The Roman's owned other people as property, and bought and sold them. They were chattel. And I'm sorry but you can infact compare slavery to other slavery, since they're the same thing. Roman slavery was lovely like transatlantic slavery was lovely. It was an immoral practice that exploited labor and was used to break communities, weaken their cultures, and bring them under the Roman heel.

Ah, no I meant it more so as a "slave forever with no hope of freedom," rather than "personal property." Roman slaves didn't have 0 hope of freedom. Their form of chattel slavery wasn't near as awful as transatlantic slavery.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ash Crimson posted:

So any actual news or is it just drama in the 1000+ comments?

the former latter

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spacebump posted:

Don't more people vote on election day and isn't Trump expected to attract a lot of voters that don't normally vote? People that don't normally vote but decide to randomly are more likely to vote on election day.

There's absolutely no evidence to support the Trump campaigns belief that they are attracting previously uncommitted voters. In fact we KNOW that Hillary is bringing in tons of previously inactive Hispanics so new voters are going to help her more than him.

Also Colorado is looking strong.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/794627523636318208

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Meanwhile,
Restraining order enacted against Trump, Stone, and the Ohio GOP in order to prevent voter intimidation
:stwoon:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Spacebump posted:

Only by wishful thinking. This baseless hope has been mostly dismissed because if this was happening, we should have seen a big surge in voter registration in those poor white counties Trump is hoping rise up.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

previously inactive Hispanics

I'll have you know that Hispanics are hard-working, industrious people

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's largely this. Even if logically Nate Silver's prediction means Clinton will probably still win nobody wants to acknowledge how frigging terrifyingly close it is.

Most other models/aggregators don't have it as terrifyingly close at 538 though. Wondering why doesn't mean you're denying reality or making GBS threads on 538 for dumb reasons (though you also might be!).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Ah, no I meant it more so as a "slave forever with no hope of freedom," rather than "personal property." Roman slaves didn't have 0 hope of freedom. Their form of chattel slavery wasn't near as awful as transatlantic slavery.

Also roman slaves were recognized to be other humans, not some species of animal

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cheaters don't count :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Only by wishful thinking. This baseless hope has been mostly dismissed because if this was happening, we should have seen a big surge in voter registration in those poor white counties Trump is hoping rise up.

Trump's entire GOTV was saying "Ya gotta register" once or twice at his rallies, which I'm sure got forgotten between beers 4 and 5 when the deplorables got home that night.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Also roman slaves were recognized to be other humans, not some species of animal

Ehhhhh, kind of. Slaves occupied an incredibly lovely legal and social place. For instance, you couldn't take the testimony of a slave unless it was given under torture because you know them slaves and their penchant for lying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Oh my god I just figured it out.

• Locked thread