Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Update: seller's second counter is higher by several thousand then their first.

I told my agent to tell their agent that I'm not going to continue negotiating until they get their poo poo together.

For reference:
Asking: 84,900
My 1st offer: 74,900 and 6% back
Their counter: 79,900 and 3% back
My 2nd offer: 78,675 with 6% back
Their 2nd counter: 84,900 with 6% back

:wtc:

Why didn't they just counter again at their first counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

They have a number in mind they aren't going under. They want you to come back with a number that will let them get 6% at the amount the want (which isn't 84k obviously).

It's your mom, you get to decide what is too much, since you aren't expecting to make money here.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
They are giving you more cash, which some buyers might want instead of absolute purchase price. The difference on your end net of 20% down is only $1k though, so maybe they're just seeing if you are cash poor and desperate.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

gtkor posted:

They have a number in mind they aren't going under. They want you to come back with a number that will let them get 6% at the amount the want (which isn't 84k obviously).

It's your mom, you get to decide what is too much, since you aren't expecting to make money here.

Their first counter would net them 77,500, their second counter would net them like 79,000. They loving countered higher than a previous counter.

I don't think the house is worth more than 76k so I won't go more than some combination of sales price and concession that exceeds that. I think they are upside down and don't want to bring cash to closing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bozart posted:

They are giving you more cash, which some buyers might want instead of absolute purchase price. The difference on your end net of 20% down is only $1k though, so maybe they're just seeing if you are cash poor and desperate.

We're buying this for my mother in law and want to avoid putting any more cash into it than necessary, which is why we're using an FHA non occupant coborrower scheme. They are upside down and don't want to bring cash to the table, which is why they've been trying to sell for a year and we're initially asking 105k which is insanity.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 3, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jealous Cow posted:

We're buying this for my mother in law and want to avoid putting any more cash into it than necessary, which is why we're using an FHA non occupant coborrower scheme. They are upside down and don't want to bring cash to the table, which is why they've been trying to sell for a year and we're initially asking 105k which is insanity.

I'm pretty sure this post is the high water mark for the insanity level of the upcoming apocalypse or something similarly horrible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jealous Cow posted:

They bought in 2005 and are still underwater on a $100k house 11 years later? That's...impressive.

Do you mind if I ask the 2005 sale price?

I get it if you're in that situation and the house has been on the market for a few weeks and you want to stick to your guns then so be it, but if I was a buyer who saw a home that'd been for sale for a year in this market (assuming this isn't some weird market where a military base just closed or something else catastrophic) I'd smell blood in the water.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

They bought in 2005 and are still underwater on a $100k house 11 years later? That's...impressive.

Do you mind if I ask the 2005 sale price?

I get it if you're in that situation and the house has been on the market for a few weeks and you want to stick to your guns then so be it, but if I was a buyer who saw a home that'd been for sale for a year in this market (assuming this isn't some weird market where a military base just closed or something else catastrophic) I'd smell blood in the water.

84,500, then they refied it in 2013 for 81,300. I don't know what the gently caress they've been doing, but after sleeping on it I think we're going keep looking.

Btw the market is Cleveland, so a blend of "decimated rust belt shithole" and "trendy young cash paying couples". Good stuff sells within days of being listed, and there are hundreds and hundreds of falling apart foreclosures listed in the 50s, plus a bunch of stuff priced like it's still 2006 because the owners did cash outs during the bubble.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Jealous Cow posted:

84,500, then they refied it in 2013 for 81,300. I don't know what the gently caress they've been doing, but after sleeping on it I think we're going keep looking.

Btw the market is Cleveland, so a blend of "decimated rust belt shithole" and "trendy young cash paying couples". Good stuff sells within days of being listed, and there are hundreds and hundreds of falling apart foreclosures listed in the 50s, plus a bunch of stuff priced like it's still 2006 because the owners did cash outs during the bubble.

Prices should come up due to the impending housing shortage (I'm assuming the city is burning right now - haven't checked the news).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Slappy Pappy posted:

Prices should come up due to the impending housing shortage (I'm assuming the city is burning right now - haven't checked the news).

Well the river does catch on fire so I don't think burning is news.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Update on cheap house for mom:

We're under contract. We came up about 1.5k more than we wanted to after finding out that the owner is super active in local LGBTQ rights and serves a bunch of non-profits I agree with. We weren't told this, I stumbled upon it while googling the owner's name from county records.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jealous Cow posted:

Update on cheap house for mom:

We're under contract. We came up about 1.5k more than we wanted to after finding out that the owner is super active in local LGBTQ rights and serves a bunch of non-profits I agree with. We weren't told this, I stumbled upon it while googling the owner's name from county records.

Congratulations on the house purchase, hope it works out ok!

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The OP seems a bit out of date and also (rightfully) opinionated on certain things so how loving dumb am I to be considering a 0-3% down mortgage? My fiance and I both got new jobs in a city one hour away so we're looking to move for commute reasons. Renting sucks because the monthly payments are equal to the monthly mortgage even at 0-3% down for the houses we're looking at with the house being 2-3x the size. We have two large dogs that really limit our available apartments to mostly "luxury" ones. We found a house we really like for 200k with the only issue being lack of savings for a decent down payment. If it matters, my only debt is about 12k left on student loans at 4.5% interest and our combined monthly income after tax is around 4750.

e: Also mostly been looking at 150-170k homes for the same range of down payment (5% tops) but this particular one checks off every box on our dream list and includes a very well done patio built out towards a river. It's officially listed as not in a flood zone as well.

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 6, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Master Stur posted:

The OP seems a bit out of date and also (rightfully) opinionated on certain things so how loving dumb am I to be considering a 0-3% down mortgage?

To each his own, but keep in mind that PMI and interest add up quickly. And of course, a mortgage is not nearly the only cost of a home. Maintenance and heating can be huge costs. I would really suggest getting a good savings cushion to account for sudden big-time home expenses

Master Stur posted:

It's officially listed as not in a flood zone as well.

Keep in mind that "officially listed" doesn't actually mean it's safe. All it means is your home insurance and building permits will be different. FEMA is constantly revising their flood maps. When you only have 70 years of reliable flood data, trying to accurately calculate a 100 year storm is...tricky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Master Stur posted:

The OP seems a bit out of date and also (rightfully) opinionated on certain things so how loving dumb am I to be considering a 0-3% down mortgage? My fiance and I both got new jobs in a city one hour away so we're looking to move for commute reasons. Renting sucks because the monthly payments are equal to the monthly mortgage even at 0-3% down for the houses we're looking at with the house being 2-3x the size. We have two large dogs that really limit our available apartments to mostly "luxury" ones. We found a house we really like for 200k with the only issue being lack of savings for a decent down payment. If it matters, my only debt is about 12k left on student loans at 4.5% interest and our combined monthly income after tax is around 4750.

e: Also mostly been looking at 150-170k homes for the same range of down payment (5% tops) but this particular one checks off every box on our dream list and includes a very well done patio built out towards a river. It's officially listed as not in a flood zone as well.

As long as you are considering the PITI payment and not just mortgage calculator payment you're fine. You should make sure that the mortgage calculators are including PMI, and that most of your 2.5% down is going to be sucked up as FHA PMI prepayment. Call your renters insurance people and ask for a quote on a sample house (send them a link on Zillow to one you like.) Call a few lenders and get pre-qualified. Eventually when you go to make an offer you will want to get a Good Faith Estimate which is a regulated item they must provide you.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/146/what-is-a-good-faith-estimate-what-is-a-gfe.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_faith_estimate

Almost most importantly? Find a realtor you can trust. They should be guiding, not rushing, you through the process. Remember they're getting paid ~2-3% ($4-6k) of your purchase price for this service. They are there to represent your interest in the purchase so if they are being obnoxious fire them. Come to jesus talk optional depending on track record. (I know your budget is $200k max but here are a bunch of homes 25-50% over that, not helping you through the mortgage process, or downright on the sellers side on every single issue.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Master Stur posted:

The same advice applies whether you're putting 0% down or 20% down: make a serious budget of your living expenses for staying where you are now, make a serious budget of how your living expenses will change if you buy a house, and if you like the numbers then it's worth considering. Be sure to post the numbers here in case you miss something (most people forget to budget for maintenance, emergency repairs, taxes, and the additional utility expenses that come from owning vs renting)

A big downside of small down payments is that your first several years of payments are mostly interest, so you're building no equity. You build no equity as a renter, either, but if prices don't rise much and you suddenly need to sell then you'll probably have to bring some of your own money to the table.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

H110Hawk posted:

As long as you are considering the PITI payment and not just mortgage calculator payment you're fine. You should make sure that the mortgage calculators are including PMI, and that most of your 2.5% down is going to be sucked up as FHA PMI prepayment. Call your renters insurance people and ask for a quote on a sample house (send them a link on Zillow to one you like.) Call a few lenders and get pre-qualified. Eventually when you go to make an offer you will want to get a Good Faith Estimate which is a regulated item they must provide you.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/146/what-is-a-good-faith-estimate-what-is-a-gfe.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_faith_estimate

Almost most importantly? Find a realtor you can trust. They should be guiding, not rushing, you through the process. Remember they're getting paid ~2-3% ($4-6k) of your purchase price for this service. They are there to represent your interest in the purchase so if they are being obnoxious fire them. Come to jesus talk optional depending on track record. (I know your budget is $200k max but here are a bunch of homes 25-50% over that, not helping you through the mortgage process, or downright on the sellers side on every single issue.)

Yeah we've factored PMI and property taxes into this already. The only rush is on our end: Current lease is up in June which severely limits the time we have to save up which is why I am even considering a 5% or less down payment since it is the only realistic option. I've lurked BFC in the past so I'm all set up tight with a budget. Mostly just wanted to make sure these type of mortgages weren't complete bad ideas regardless of any budget considerations. Unfortunately I would love time to save up but the idea of commuting 2hrs a day and rolling dice on car maintenance for another year or two is completely unappealing.

LogisticEarth posted:

Keep in mind that "officially listed" doesn't actually mean it's safe. All it means is your home insurance and building permits will be different. FEMA is constantly revising their flood maps. When you only have 70 years of reliable flood data, trying to accurately calculate a 100 year storm is...tricky.

I was more angling at not needing to have flood insurance factored into the price I suppose. I've lived near water my whole life so for better or worse I'm aware of the other considerations needed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They're a bad idea if you're looking at a house as a financial investment (houses are poor financial investments in general but are downright terrible when you're putting 3% down). They're fine if you're looking at a house as a place to live and you're only thinking about your monthly living expenses

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Master Stur posted:

I was more angling at not needing to have flood insurance factored into the price I suppose. I've lived near water my whole life so for better or worse I'm aware of the other considerations needed.

Do your research on this one though. Like I said, the maps can be and will be revised, so you may be taking a risk that you could get hit with that insurance and drop in property value.

Having seen a bunch of flooding in my area, I never, ever, ever would want to own a home anywhere near a floodplain. High and dry for me.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

QuarkJets posted:

They're a bad idea if you're looking at a house as a financial investment (houses are poor financial investments in general but are downright terrible when you're putting 3% down). They're fine if you're looking at a house as a place to live and you're only thinking about your monthly living expenses

The latter mostly. We got a long ways to go before even considering it a proper investment. This potential decision is more just timing on getting new jobs and how utterly bad the rental market is in the new area + surrounding places both $-wise and needs wise. Ultimately if we're paying roughly the same amount then I'd rather it be on a house. Apartment living with large pets is awful for all involved :( The other factor is we will be living near a proper area for good paying tech jobs in this state so there is no need to move again when the time comes to look for better jobs.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

0-3% down mortgage
It costs a good bit to do this, in extra interest, PMI, or both - sounds like you're prepared to make that tradeoff. But it also sets you up for a pretty tough situation if you need to sell any time in the next 3 years or at any point after your local market has tanked, unless you are also stashing cash so you'll have some way to cover the sales costs. You may also need to be budgeting more than you realize for repairs and maintenance, if you're looking at place that's 2x the size you're used to.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I could see scenarios where you're relatively high income and would benefit enough from the PMI tax deduction and you're hopefully buying something well below your means where 0-3% down would be fine. Probably not ideal for your average Andy though.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I wouldn't ever buy a house in a city I hadn't lived in previously unless I was getting some crazy relocation package that required me to buy and not rent. Especially if I'm starting a new job.

Have you looked on craigslist to see how much single family homes rent for?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Master Stur posted:

Yeah we've factored PMI and property taxes into this already. The only rush is on our end: Current lease is up in June which severely limits the time we have to save up which is why I am even considering a 5% or less down payment since it is the only realistic option. I've lurked BFC in the past so I'm all set up tight with a budget. Mostly just wanted to make sure these type of mortgages weren't complete bad ideas regardless of any budget considerations. Unfortunately I would love time to save up but the idea of commuting 2hrs a day and rolling dice on car maintenance for another year or two is completely unappealing.

I would start talking to realtors and lenders now. Figure out what makes the most sense for you guys price wise and mortgage structure wise. As everyone else is saying your costs do go up owning even if the PITI payment is the same as your rent. You'll get a random supplemental tax bill, and you have to pay to have your waste hauled away (trash, sewer), etc. Unless there is a fundamental difference in your costs I would not put 100% of your savings into the down payment. 2.5% FHA vs. 5% FHA as I recall is not fundamentally different in price. You can always pay 2.5% extra principle later, but if you get hit with a burst water heater the day after you move in that's going on a credit card. Make sense?

Ask for amortization tables and for things to be filled out on HUD approved forms if you want to know the true cost of the house.

Get buyers title insurance. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. It's cheap for a reason, most people don't need it, but when you do it can save you the entire cost of your house. And you get to find out fun facts about the easements on your house!

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I wouldn't ever buy a house in a city I hadn't lived in previously unless I was getting some crazy relocation package that required me to buy and not rent. Especially if I'm starting a new job.

Have you looked on craigslist to see how much single family homes rent for?

We've both been working these new jobs since early summer so I guess not so so new anymore. I've worked in this area a couple years ago right out of college and my old college buds lived in the area so while not having lived there I'm fairly familiar with the area. We're always looking at rental options along side everything but so far the price values don't work out so well for the quality. Many of the rental properties available also lack central air and require oil heating :haw:

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

H110Hawk posted:

I would start talking to realtors and lenders now. Figure out what makes the most sense for you guys price wise and mortgage structure wise. As everyone else is saying your costs do go up owning even if the PITI payment is the same as your rent. You'll get a random supplemental tax bill, and you have to pay to have your waste hauled away (trash, sewer), etc. Unless there is a fundamental difference in your costs I would not put 100% of your savings into the down payment. 2.5% FHA vs. 5% FHA as I recall is not fundamentally different in price. You can always pay 2.5% extra principle later, but if you get hit with a burst water heater the day after you move in that's going on a credit card. Make sense?

Ask for amortization tables and for things to be filled out on HUD approved forms if you want to know the true cost of the house.

Get buyers title insurance. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. It's cheap for a reason, most people don't need it, but when you do it can save you the entire cost of your house. And you get to find out fun facts about the easements on your house!

Will do, thanks! Unfortunately extra tax bills and trash/sewer are something our current place (and many others) already pass onto us so it is nothing unsurprising.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I could see scenarios where you're relatively high income and would benefit enough from the PMI tax deduction and you're hopefully buying something well below your means where 0-3% down would be fine. Probably not ideal for your average Andy though.

I thought that the PMI deduction was going away?

e: Looks like it's sticking around, but you don't get the deduction if your AGI is at least $109k, filing jointly. That's not a huge amount for two people in the tech sector

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also Master Stur don't buy a house until you and your fiance are married

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

I thought that the PMI deduction was going away?

e: Looks like it's sticking around, but you don't get the deduction if your AGI is at least $109k, filing jointly. That's not a huge amount for two people in the tech sector

You can negotiate lender paid PMI which ups your rate a bit, but then it's all deductible.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're high-income you can't deduct PMI, I thought.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
If you can budget additional money to principle payments it becomes a not terrible idea. If you cannot then you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time paying almost entirely interest and nothing toward principle, which has all kinds of gross risks attached.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Note that FHA MIP doesn't go away ever, any more. The only way to stop paying it is to refinance out of the FHA mortgage, and you don't get your up-front premium back when you do that.

That's just an FYI. Basically plan to have to refinance at least once, when you hit 80% LTV, assuming interest rates haven't risen by enough that getting out of the MIP will cost you more in interest than it's worth.

When I bought with an FHA loan, you could get rid of the MIP once you hit 78% LTV, but congress changed the deal a few years ago to make it a lot worse.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't have a problem with low down mortgages. It's not always possible to save up a 20% down payment.

Many of the drawbacks have already been discussed, here's my opinion.

It's fine if you know you're going to be there for probably 5 to 7 years. I bought my house FHA 3.5% down about 7 years ago.

The first 5 years of ownership I couldn't have sold the house without bringing money to the table. This was due to 2 primary factors.

1: I bought new construction and it's hard as hell to sell resale when the builder is down the street heavily incentivizing the sale of new homes
2: The first 5 years of the mortgage I paid very little of the principal down. In retrospect even an extra 50 dollars a month would have made a huge difference over 7 years and I could have easily afforded it.

Almost 7 years later I'm in a better position. The builder is gone, resale in the neighborhood is strong, and the property has appreciated about 10% in value. Combined with paying down principal over the last 7 years and I'm at about 20% equity in the house. Finally at the point where I could sell the house if I wanted to, and actually walk away with some money.

If your timeline is ok with that, sure, go for it. Just understand the drawbacks involved.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm doing a final walkthrough of my new place after work today, and if all goes according to plan we may even sign all the final paperwork today and close early. Oh god this is happening

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm about to close on re-financing my 30-year purchase from 2011 (3.625% with ~$5,600 points) into a 15-year mortgage @ 2.875% with no points.

This raises my mortgage + escrow from around $3,150 to $3,760
I've been averaging $550/month extra toward principle through the first 5 years of my loan so from that perspective it's a wash - just means that the "extra" is no longer optional.

Overall I'm pretty excited. Based on my prior early-pay behaviors I was tracking to finish paying my mortgage in late-2035 (24 years total). This shortens my payoff by an additional 4 years. Let's hope the Chinese don't own California by then. I probably could have gotten a slightly lower rate (2.75%) by going through my mortgage wholesaler but ultimately it's worth the extra $20/month for me to keep everything at Wells Fargo. I know they're the devil but it's awesome to be able to make payments just by pushing buttons on a website.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Wells Fargo lets you make bi-weekly mortgage payments too which is cool or at least they used to (they ended up with a mortgage of mine back in 2011.)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Wells Fargo lets you make bi-weekly mortgage payments too which is cool or at least they used to (they ended up with a mortgage of mine back in 2011.)

Still do, just started a new mortgage with them. The downside is that they hold your payment until they have enough to pay the entire payment. So still paying an extra payment a year generally, but not getting all the advantages.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Finally signed a contract for a condo. Third time's a charm. The market in NYC is p crazy. They had like 40 offers and we ended up closing 100k over ask. We had to waive our mortgage contingency to be competitive against all cash buyers. Luckily, we have a mortgage approval letter from a previous deal that fell through, so the mortgage shouldn't be a problem.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Welp I wonder if I picked a terrible week to buy a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Welp I wonder if I picked a terrible week to buy a house.

Same. At least I locked in a low rate!