Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Maybe they decided to just make some kind of parody comedy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Next candidate for hilarity is this one I think (the comments/thread upvotes combo should give a hint).

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5b4ho3/codinfinite_warfare/

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

MilesK posted:

Why does the guy on the left do kung fu at the end?

I suspect they're supposed to be moving similar to a carrier deck crew....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y92xIM7AyI4

but remember, this is CIG

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SomethingJones posted:

Squadron 42 teaser footage from RtV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zC8Xw68Cds
I don't even know what to say
I thought a goon had made it

Nine hundred years from now they will still be relying on some scrub on the flight deck making hand signals that you can press go.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

As is with any information on our transcripts and summaries, everything posted is subject to change by CIG and in some cases may not always be 100% accurate at the time. While we strive for accuracy, mistakes do happen so please let us know if you find something amiss that we didn’t catch. Enjoy the show!

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Summary by CanadianSyrup & StormyWinters
TLDR (Too Long; Didn't Read)

Today's guests were Senior Animator, David Petty and Lighting Artist, Emre Switzer.
Some of the animations used such as mopping for example are a way to ground the player and immerse them. While it is the future, having elements like that bring the player back down to earth so to say.
NPCs will behave with one another as they would with a player and you'll see NPCs behavior change based off who they are and where they are in the universe.
More emotes are something they'd like, just depends on the design team and what they want.
Emre Switzer was originally a contributer on the Star Citizen Subreddit until he saw the job posting for a Lighting Artist
Initially he had experience in CryEngine, but not lighting other than being a photographer, so he spent 3 months learning as much as he could and got the job.
Emre has worked on Arc Corp, Original Star Marine, Recently Grim Hex and soon to be released Star Marine.
He's also currently working on 3.0 landing sites such as Hurston and Microtech.
Destructible lights are something they plan on doing, those things will come when item system 2.0 is in place and then they can overhaul the mechanics of such things.

Full Summary

The show will begin in approximately 7 minutes! Your transcribers today are myself CanadianSyrup with StormyWinters assisting with editing. Grab some coffee or tea before it starts!

The show has begun! Seeing what looks like a whitebox video of a hangar, possibly an Idris hangar. Something Squadron 42 related I imagine.

We're live with Senior Animator David Petty, and Tyler Witkin as host.

If you have a question you want answered, go to Robetsspaceindustries.com and in the general live chat. They do not take questions from Twitch or Youtube.

[Tell us about yourself] He's a Senior Animator at CIG. Things have changed quite a bit since he first arrived. Most things nowadays are Persistent Universe related animations such as NPCs. There are some that are shared with players, but most are for NPCs

Some things can be used for players that was created for NPCs and vice versa, any way that they can save time they look out for.

[Why was Ian Duncan mopping?] One word: Discipline. Seriously though they're figuring out how much technology they're going to incorporate. They decided to have a mop and bucket in there to make things feel more alive and immersive. If everything was "the future" and high tech, it would be kind of boring, but when you have people doing traditional things in the midst of all these advanced things it grounds you.

[What ideas do you have for NPC animations in areas like the Gloc or Arc Corp in general?] Generally, how an NPC reacts to the player, is how an NPC will react to another NPC. If an NPC walks into Astro and there's a greeter, he'll greet them just like a player would be greeted. David talks about a couple being animated where they're debating on a ship and you can tell their story about how they want "this" but they need "this" by their animations.

[Do you plan on doing different animations based off their character? Pirate, security, or based off location?] Definitely. They're working on trying to get the base in now, but they're excited to work on those types of things where you can create some unique animations based off their character whether its wealthy areas and how they act or in the slums, you'll notice a difference.

[More emotes?] There's so many emotes that he wants to do personally. They have a base set in there now and they'll likely add more, but that's up to design.

[What is the weirdest animation that has been requested for Star Citizen?] Probably toilet animations. They shot A LOT of toilet animations in Austin. They also have an emergency exit animation for toilets.

[What are you plans for creatures? Do you mocap animals?] It depends. There's many different ways you can do it. Traditional animators say its better to do everything by hand, especially if you're going for a stylized look, but on a project like this you have to take a look at practicality and what works best time wise. If you wanted to mo-cap a centipede that would be fascinating to watch, but you just have to take some shortcuts that look the same, but underneath allow you to create less work for yourself.

That's all for now with David! Up next is Emre Switzer!

They're back with Emre Switzer, Lighting Artist.

Emre originally was a part of the community on Reddit and then after posting several items that were widely received. He was 18 when he posted the relit hangars.

Since he joined he's worked on ArcCorp, original SM, Grim Hex.

[Care to clarify, does tessa have anything to do with the map?] No. All the stuff in Star Marine is based off past events so you relive those events. There's actual history in Star Marine.

[How do you go about setting up the lighting?] They take cues from the environment and each room has its own mood so you can tell where you are based off where you are without having to see a sign.

[How will lighting interface with night vision and thermal?] Not really his field since he's more about the level lighting

[What has been your biggest challenge with lighting since joining?] Performance, making everything efficient as possible. They have a budget and have to stick it. Making sure that shadow calls don't overlap or are too many for one object.

[How often do you communicate with devs?] There's a lot of preproduction and communicate with the environment team. There's some environment effects needed to make their lighting effects work.

[What's your background?] He initially had a background in working on CryEngine and photography, but not so much in engine lighting, so after he saw the job posting, he spent 3 months learning everything he could about lighting.

[Will the environment lighting be affected by our character? For example if wearing red armour would it affect the colour of the room based on reflections?] Eventually yes, if you walked into a white room, it would reflect onto the surfaces around you.

[Destructible lights?] He's not 100% sure. The goal is to have it, once item 2.0 comes online they'll really overhaul the lights in how they function among other things. So if you know enemies are in a room you can through an EMP to shut off the lights and disrupt their Night vision or thermal goggles.

[What's going on in the future with you?] Working on 3.0 landing sites: Hurston, Microtech.

Community updates: Espiera Prowler content is still going on until November 11th. Winner will be announced on the November 18th Livestream. Monthly Report is coming out later today.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 4, 2016

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
whys this thread so long?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SomethingJones posted:

That's so poo poo I looked up the official twitch stream to verify it was real. Very silly of me because it's CIG so of course it's real.

They can't even handle transitions between the terrible animations. The guy's feet glitch into the new position.

How do you gently caress up mo-cap this badly in 2016?

CIG must be 99% interns at this point.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dante80 posted:

In the meatime, that SH hard cash sale /r thread has escaleated wonderfully.

I see I have a disciple.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dante80 posted:

As is with any information on our transcripts and summaries, everything posted is subject to change by CIG and in some cases may not always be 100% accurate at the time. While we strive for accuracy, mistakes do happen so please let us know if you find something amiss that we didn’t catch. Enjoy the show!

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Summary by CanadianSyrup & StormyWinters
TLDR (Too Long; Didn't Read)

Today's guests were Senior Animator, David Petty and Lighting Artist, Emre Switzer.
Some of the animations used such as mopping for example are a way to ground the player and immerse them. While it is the future, having elements like that bring the player back down to earth so to say.
NPCs will behave with one another as they would with a player and you'll see NPCs behavior change based off who they are and where they are in the universe.
More emotes are something they'd like, just depends on the design team and what they want.
Emre Switzer was originally a contributer on the Star Citizen Subreddit until he saw the job posting for a Lighting Artist
Initially he had experience in CryEngine, but not lighting other than being a photographer, so he spent 3 months learning as much as he could and got the job.
Emre has worked on Arc Corp, Original Star Marine, Recently Grim Hex and soon to be released Star Marine.
He's also currently working on 3.0 landing sites such as Hurston and Microtech.
Destructible lights are something they plan on doing, those things will come when item system 2.0 is in place and then they can overhaul the mechanics of such things.

Full Summary

The show will begin in approximately 7 minutes! Your transcribers today are myself CanadianSyrup with StormyWinters assisting with editing. Grab some coffee or tea before it starts!

The show has begun! Seeing what looks like a whitebox video of a hangar, possibly an Idris hangar. Something Squadron 42 related I imagine.

We're live with Senior Animator David Petty, and Tyler Witkin as host.

If you have a question you want answered, go to Robetsspaceindustries.com and in the general live chat. They do not take questions from Twitch or Youtube.

[Tell us about yourself] He's a Senior Animator at CIG. Things have changed quite a bit since he first arrived. Most things nowadays are Persistent Universe related animations such as NPCs. There are some that are shared with players, but most are for NPCs

Some things can be used for players that was created for NPCs and vice versa, any way that they can save time they look out for.

[Why was Ian Duncan mopping?] One word: Discipline. Seriously though they're figuring out how much technology they're going to incorporate. They decided to have a mop and bucket in there to make things feel more alive and immersive. If everything was "the future" and high tech, it would be kind of boring, but when you have people doing traditional things in the midst of all these advanced things it grounds you.

[What ideas do you have for NPC animations in areas like the Gloc or Arc Corp in general?] Generally, how an NPC reacts to the player, is how an NPC will react to another NPC. If an NPC walks into Astro and there's a greeter, he'll greet them just like a player would be greeted. David talks about a couple being animated where they're debating on a ship and you can tell their story about how they want "this" but they need "this" by their animations.

[Do you plan on doing different animations based off their character? Pirate, security, or based off location?] Definitely. They're working on trying to get the base in now, but they're excited to work on those types of things where you can create some unique animations based off their character whether its wealthy areas and how they act or in the slums, you'll notice a difference.

[More emotes?] There's so many emotes that he wants to do personally. They have a base set in there now and they'll likely add more, but that's up to design.

[What is the weirdest animation that has been requested for Star Citizen?] Probably toilet animations. They shot A LOT of toilet animations in Austin. They also have an emergency exit animation for toilets.

[What are you plans for creatures? Do you mocap animals?] It depends. There's many different ways you can do it. Traditional animators say its better to do everything by hand, especially if you're going for a stylized look, but on a project like this you have to take a look at practicality and what works best time wise. If you wanted to mo-cap a centipede that would be fascinating to watch, but you just have to take some shortcuts that look the same, but underneath allow you to create less work for yourself.

That's all for now with David! Up next is Emre Switzer!

They're back with Emre Switzer, Lighting Artist.

Emre originally was a part of the community on Reddit and then after posting several items that were widely received. He was 18 when he posted the relit hangars.

Since he joined he's worked on ArcCorp, original SM, Grim Hex.

[Care to clarify, does tessa have anything to do with the map?] No. All the stuff in Star Marine is based off past events so you relive those events. There's actual history in Star Marine.

[How do you go about setting up the lighting?] They take cues from the environment and each room has its own mood so you can tell where you are based off where you are without having to see a sign.

[How will lighting interface with night vision and thermal?] Not really his field since he's more about the level lighting

[What has been your biggest challenge with lighting since joining?] Performance, making everything efficient as possible. They have a budget and have to stick it. Making sure that shadow calls don't overlap or are too many for one object.

[How often do you communicate with devs?] There's a lot of preproduction and communicate with the environment team. There's some environment effects needed to make their lighting effects work.

[What's your background?] He initially had a background in working on CryEngine and photography, but not so much in engine lighting, so after he saw the job posting, he spent 3 months learning everything he could about lighting.

[Will the environment lighting be affected by our character? For example if wearing red armour would it affect the colour of the room based on reflections?] Eventually yes, if you walked into a white room, it would reflect onto the surfaces around you.

[Destructible lights?] He's not 100% sure. The goal is to have it, once item 2.0 comes online they'll really overhaul the lights in how they function among other things. So if you know enemies are in a room you can through an EMP to shut off the lights and disrupt their Night vision or thermal goggles.

[What's going on in the future with you?] Working on 3.0 landing sites: Hurston, Microtech.

Community updates: Espiera Prowler content is still going on until November 11th. Winner will be announced on the November 18th Livestream. Monthly Report is coming out later today.

Sorry, I can't. Some of those answers are simply crazy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SomethingJones posted:

It's an art piece.
It's called 'Eau du Toilette'.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dante80 posted:

"We have no technical specs or art direction, please send help! Chris is a Madman. Help help!"

Also I am totally getting some early colored lighting flashbacks.

"Make GrimHEX RED, ominous, but not red red, it has to be atmospheric red, so like, make it shift the actual color palettes, change the mood. Inspire me." - Chris Roberts, most likely.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 4, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I posted that exclusive Sq42 footage on :reddit:

Second answer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
When people ask where the money went?

Star Citizen: They shot A LOT of toilet animations

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
They shot A LOT of toilet animations

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DereksTealSpaceGame.jpg

ChrissGrimHexinRed.jpg

Polar opposites but the same coin?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:gary:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

eightpole posted:

It's mostly people posting pictures of their balls and telling you to call your parents

Not... not in the same post, mind

Oh and there are some recipes and pictures of Beet Wagon's dog

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Wrecked Angle posted:

I love how this clip is supposed to be indicative of how the AI and animations are progressing 'well'. The first half is a massive clusterfuck at the top with the character models blindly stumbling into each other. One of them gets hung up the the edge of the table for a few walk cycles, another gives up on his pathfinding and just clips through the guy blocking him. Then all the commandos sit down using the exact same animation despite the fact that this causes ones head to clip through the others.

It doesn't even make any sense. If these are AI driven then why aren't they just heading for the first vacant chair and avoiding the whole bumping into each other bit altogether? Yet again their dedication to 'fidelity' has produced something completely unnatural looking.

I wouldn't have submitted this when I did an 'introduction to animation' course back in school, yet it's apparently the best a company with $130m has to show after 5 years.

Keep doing what you're doing CIG!

Annabelle boo shilsley watched it three time yes three times,because it's so fascinating and ohnoi'vegonecrosseyed

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dante80 posted:

Some of the animations used such as mopping for example are a way to ground the player and immerse them.

:sweep: Engineering debt.

P.S.
Seriously, that's the helmet flip in the background of the latest AtV. Why?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Lol, that is just... well it's so...

Dammit, what's the word I'm looking for?

Oh, yeah, "Shite", epically shite. Amaturish too, like the kind of thing that gets a 15 year old student who hates computers a D- (for effort) in an unimportant midterm 'just for fun' test at school.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

I love how yellow guy #2 has his leg snap forward when his animation starts playing at about 10 seconds in.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
He eats a buffet and calls people gay! His pants have got a tear!
He waddles on his way to lunch and mumbles everywhere!
And underneath his shirt he has Wing Commander tats!
I even heard him ranting on the forums!

He's always late for meetings, but his devotion is real
He's always late for everything, except for every meal!
I hate to have to say it but I very firmly feel Ben Lesnick's not an asset to CIG

I'd like to say a word on his behalf:
His body makes me laugh.

How do you solve a problem like Ben Lesnick?
How do you make him not hurt sales?
How do you find a word that means Ben Lesnick?
A two-ton-flesh-sack, a Wing-Commander-whack, a whale?

Many a thing you wish he hadn't posted
Many a thing you wish he hadn't done,
But even what Swofford does can't undo what he has said,
How do you pretend he's just gone?

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Ben Lesnick,
How do you develop spaceships without him?

When I'm with him I'm perplexed, by his gravity I'm vexed
And I never know if he's a person or a ham
Obsessed and uncontrolled, he's too easily trolled,
He's a grossout! He's a disciple! He's a bad!

He's outweigh any car, he'd out-natural any star,
He could set back a spaceship greybox by a month.
He is heavy! He's unsteady! He's uncouth! A manchild!
He's a nuisance! He's an addict! He's fat.

How do you solve a problem like Ben Lesnick?
How do you make him not hurt sales?
How do you find a word that means Ben Lesnick?
A two-ton-flesh-sack, a Wing-Commander-whack, a whale?

Many a thing you wish he hadn't posted
Many a thing you wish he hadn't done,
But even what Swofford does can't undo what he has said,
How do you pretend he's just gone?

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Ben Lesnick,
How do you develop spaceships without him?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Dante80 posted:

They also have an emergency exit animation for toilets.

Is this the Austin bathroom incident that AtxSperg was talking about?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Better than I expected tbh, probably scripted gameplay.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Next candidate for hilarity is this one I think (the comments/thread upvotes combo should give a hint).

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5b4ho3/codinfinite_warfare/

I've noticed a lot less hostility towards Elite Dangerous from :reddit: the past few months. Less of a threat or begrudging acceptance it's actually lot of what Star Citizen/SQ42 wishes it could be?

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I made a very fair and good comparison vid between Infinite Warfare and some SQ42(?) pre-alpha(?) footage from todays RtV. Let me know what you think about balanced approaches to videogames in the comments: http://youtubedoubler.com/jJ7S

Pre-alpha footage? As far as I know Chris only has one real gameplay trailer. It stacks up pretty well with what we're seeing from COD:IW. Expect both to come out pretty soon.

http://youtubedoubler.com/jJ9i

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

eightpole posted:

Because there is so little content coming out of CIG — we're working hard to compensate and bring balance to the 'laxy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Can anyone else smell burning?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

eightpole posted:

I blame Derek Smart

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol that loving exclusive sq42 footage

that leaked timetable seems pretty spot on now

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah - in my old line of work, those guys were usually chemical engineers. They used to ask for facilities to be protected against the likelihood that a tank would rupture at the exact moment lightning would strike, which seems to me like a very B'Tak concern.

Has anyone told B'tak about the idea of being able to put a money stealing virus in the carrier wave of Drake Herald broadcasts (and by extension the entire amateur broadcasting system)? I mean, if he listens to potentially ANY broadcast in the 'verse, he runs the risk of having his wallet electronically emptied... And I hear they can infect those comm relays too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/794629032247693312

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Read it.

READ.
IT.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Can anyone else smell burning?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I see I have a disciple.

I just have this one...was checking out the res thingy (handy for showing pics on the post and for the full editor).

But I mean, I'm right, right?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

lol that loving exclusive sq42 footage

that leaked timetable seems pretty spot on now

The one you shared where it's at 1% across the board or the one saying the Persistent Verse is coming in 2022?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Propagandist posted:

You heard it here first folks. A true leak, straight from Chris Roberts' mouth. Must be true!

Alert your parents that you love them and pette buns.

And dogges and cattes. Also, Props, you're going to need to change your avvie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MeLKoR posted:

Read it.

READ.
IT.

They both release far too many games too soon. They would be shooting for zero games released after an infinite amount of time if they really wanted to make the big bucks

• Locked thread