Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If anyone has any good reading on whether slaves were considered human, please tell me. It seems super interesting, but a google search gives a mix of general slavery history and white supremacist "THE TRUTH ABOUT SLAVERY" poo poo, neither of which addresses the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

That Patrician looks like he's going to piss on the crowd. :catstare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And when I say that, I mean "were blacks literally considered the same species."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What would be the impact if the nation switched to a Washington/Oregon style based mail in ballot system, where all registered voters get their ballots three weeks before elections? Is there any reasonable ground for opposing that system (such as cost), other than the GOP wanting low voter turnout?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

xthetenth posted:

White guys downplaying actual problems that other people face is kind of a refrain of the thread. There's not that much tolerance here for people saying things are actually totally great.

I was replying to somebody telling someone to go choke on a dick about a post talking about ancient rome that didn't seem to be related to race at all.

Do we all need armbands saying what race we are so we can avoid such misunderstandings?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Endorph posted:

what were ancient roman get out the vote efforts like

Did you ever see the 1999 version of Titus, with Jessica Lange, Alan Cumming, and Anthony Hopkins?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I'm 90% positive that's jesus.

That picture is showing Jesus with his old pal Pontius Pilate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

well yeah, letting your followers meet Jesus is a pretty sick GOTV move

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

And when I say that, I mean "were blacks literally considered the same species."

TJ's dick seemed to think so

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

48% of Colorado has already voted - which means Trump has to fully reverse the trend (going 52-41 back towards her) on Tuesday if early voting stopped right now. There is no way she loses Colorado now.

Got a link/source? Just to link to friends who are Arzying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Did you ever see the 1999 version of Titus, with Jessica Lange, Alan Cumming, and Anthony Hopkins?
did anyone?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

TJ's dick seemed to think so
Someone else said this, but I really don't think it proves anything.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
+1 for Hillary and every other Democrat I could vote for. Sadly it's in Kansas :negative: so it's mainly a case of running up the nationwide popular vote and maybe, if we've been very good little children, getting a couple of Dems into lesser offices?

Couple of things that pissed me off:

-Apparently there's a photo ID law in place here. I saw the sign and double-checked it on my phone just to make sure the polling place wasn't bullshitting me. Turns out they weren't (except to the extent that a voter ID law is bullshit generally).

-Was in the middle of the nice whitebread suburbs so of course my line was super short because there isn't a systemic effort to screw us out of voting access.

gently caress man. At least I placed a drop in the bucket labeled 'make the world less poo poo.'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FactsAreUseless posted:

If anyone has any good reading on whether slaves were considered human, please tell me. It seems super interesting, but a google search gives a mix of general slavery history and white supremacist "THE TRUTH ABOUT SLAVERY" poo poo, neither of which addresses the question.

If I had to guess it probably depended on the era. By the 1840s, probably not. Early on, maybe the sort of "yeah they are but they're savages so we must civilize them" thoughts that dominated Europe during the Scramble for Africa.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A coworker just admitted she voted for Trump because she doesn't want the first female president to also be the first impeached female president

That's... a viewpoint I haven't heard before, that's for sure

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Within the last 5 weeks Nate's model has ranged from 54.8% to 88.1% in favor of Clinton, despite pollster.com never having the race closer than 3% and even RCP's heavily curated aggregate never having it closer than 1.5%. A statistical model that changes that drastically based on so little change is useless as a predictor. Note that Linzer and PEC were more accurate in 2012 based on their day of election forecast. If you went back and looked at things one month out, Nate would have fared even worse.
Claiming a candidate has a 80-90% chance to win with a lead of 1.5% is absurdly overconfident in polling accuracy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Claiming a candidate has a 80-90% chance to win with a lead of 1.5% is absurdly overconfident in polling accuracy.

Yes, if you think we elect Presidents based on the national popular vote, I could see how you might think that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ciaphas posted:

A coworker just admitted she voted for Trump because she doesn't want the first female president to also be the first impeached female president

A dumb one for sure

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ciaphas posted:

translation: I'm a racist shitbag that hates my own gender.... but I don't want YOU to know I'm a racist shitbag that hates my own gender so here's a crappy token excuse.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Endorph posted:

did anyone?

Lol me, but I'm a big nerd :smith:. I tried to find pics of the electioneering sequence in that which was pretty funny but since no one has seen it there's none online.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Glorious movie.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PerniciousKnid posted:

True, but that 1.5% does come from an aggregate which tends to wash out the errors.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FactsAreUseless posted:

Off the top of my head:

We can probably infer "no" based on the fact that a critical distinction in the ideology of Civil War era abolitionists was that they thought black people deserved human rights but specifically did NOT deserve civil rights.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Anybody have that link to the website that gives good ballot primers based on zip code/address?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ciaphas posted:

:rolleyes:

Can we roll back that "Votes for women" thing?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

VanSandman posted:

I don't know, I think they did know black people were human. Otherwise raping your female slaves to produce offspring, a common and established practice, would've been bestiality.

Slavery in America may have been the purest expression of man's complete capacity for cruelty for his own benefit.

But there's different levels and kinds of inhumanity. The British Empire and the Third Reich were both colonialist ventures that regarded conquered peoples as lesser but while the British were happy to work indigenous populations to death, exploit them wholesale and (in Winston Churchill's case) laugh at famines the Third Reich actively wanted to exterminate populations they could've enslaved because they regarded them as impure and dangerous. While the Judenrat lasted only long enough to organise the deportation and extermination of a Jewish population, a few years at most, the British Empire happily used vassal rulers and non-white intermediaries.

This doesn't for a second mean the British Empire was good but even very bad systems like colonialism or slavery can differences in how they regarded the peoples they oppressed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did the UVa Rolling Stone defamation trial get talked about?

Defamation with actual malice, oof

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Anybody have that link to the website that gives good ballot primers based on zip code/address?

Google "[your county, state] election board"

Then use that to check those people and things on ballotpedia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, racism is all about dehumanizing a particular group. You only have to look at depictions of black people in art to see them reduced to something less than human, but I find the attitudes surrounding slavery fascinating. How explicit was it? What kind of mindset does it take to own another person? I am not a historian, but I assume there are first-hand accounts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Magres posted:

Got a link/source? Just to link to friends who are Arzying

I'm combining two data points - that PPP poll and this:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/colorado-early-voting-numbers-top-1-million-one-third-of-registered-voters-have-cast-ballot

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Prove it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

WampaLord posted:

Yes, if you think we elect Presidents based on the national popular vote, I could see how you might think that.

Well, you should! :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:smug:

Proof positive that Ohio isn't complete poo poo.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 4, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PerniciousKnid posted:

No, because it's really about an aggregate of much bigger leads in the individual states that add up to >270 EVs that has been consistent pretty much all along.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

that's why taking back the house and senate is kinda important to me early on.

i don't want Hillary to go down in the already bad history books as "It's pretty cool that there were two ground breaking presidents in succession, but she did jackshit and her presidency will be remembered for all the congressional hearings (let's just conveniently ignore an obstructionist congress largely filled with Tea Party shitheads)".

like, it's a dumb concern, and i really kinda doubt she was going to vote for her

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ciaphas posted:

"I don't want Hillary in office so she can't get kicked out if office" :confused:

She's dumb.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

IIRC, Wang's model actually disregards the popular vote entirely and only looks at state-level polls.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Well they did need to vote on who to crucify

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

:smug:

Proof positive Ohio isn't complete poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, no I meant it more so as a "slave forever with no hope of freedom," rather than "personal property." Roman slaves didn't have 0 hope of freedom. Their form of chattel slavery wasn't near as awful as transatlantic slavery.

Ok. but that's not what chattel slavery means. More, importantly this tendency people have to hold up Roman slavery as some kind of less-bad form compared to transatlantic is flawed because once you get away from the remote possibility of manumission, its pretty much the exact same world-of-infinite-possibilities reasoning you get for why transatlantic slavery wasn't so bad. And that bothers me for reasons that you aren't trying to push so I should probably just let it go.

• Locked thread