Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
My GIRLFRIEND has gotten a hard-on for the soups we've been cooking recently and wants to invest in a stick/immersion blender. She's looking at this model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3LJB14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e47eyb96QKXRW

Any critiques on what to look for or if this one's any good? The only thing I remember y'all talking about was making sure the motor was any good so that it didn't burn out. The link in the OP is dead, but I'm assuming it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00ARQVM5O

Please advise, goons; the future of my relationship hangs on the integrity of my tomato basil soup!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

bartlebee posted:

My GIRLFRIEND has gotten a hard-on for the soups we've been cooking recently and wants to invest in a stick/immersion blender. She's looking at this model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3LJB14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e47eyb96QKXRW

Any critiques on what to look for or if this one's any good? The only thing I remember y'all talking about was making sure the motor was any good so that it didn't burn out. The link in the OP is dead, but I'm assuming it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00ARQVM5O

Please advise, goons; the future of my relationship hangs on the integrity of my tomato basil soup!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Honestly that should be fine. We use something similar in my restaurant and worst case scenario it burns out and we get a new one for $30. Maybe get something with some added attachments if you don't have the equivalent already. Otherwise that's perf good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bartlebee posted:

Thanks in advance.

Get the cuisinart. They usually last 2-3 years, and survive in a commercial kitchen for a year or so. At $30-40, they're one of the best pieces of "disposable" equipment I own.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bartlebee posted:

Thanks in advance.

I hope you're making her delicious bread to dip in the soup.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need dehydrator recommendations please.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like the old standby of pounding bourbon all night

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bape Culture posted:

If you can afford it, get the Excalibur. If not, get Ronco.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a Waring pro dehydrator and it seems to do the job well. Frankly, it seems like such a simple concept I doubt you could go wrong with any reputable brand, really.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

If you can afford it, get the Excalibur. If not, get Ronco.

Looks like Excalibur five drawer is sub 100 quid so probably grab that. Cheers!

E: This one? https://www.sousvidetools.com/food-dehydrators/excalibur-stackable-dehydrator

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 29, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks brothers and sisters in soup. Gonna probably grab the Cuisinart. And good call on the homemade bread; time to crack out the Dutch oven again and irritate the bread thread.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Bape Culture posted:

We have a L'Equip dehydrator. Got it cheap second hand so no great efforts were made in research and comparison shopping. If I needed to replace it I'd look for:

1) Thermostatic temperature control. You want higher temperatures for beef jerky but herbs do better under gentler conditions.

2) Easy to clean. Dishwasher safe trays - our dehydrator gets heavy use in late summer and washing those big trays in the sink is a pain in the arse. All sorts of bits and drips end up in the base so that part needs to be easy to wipe out too.

3) Easily expandable. If you're a normal household and not prepping for Armageddon ignore this, five or six trays should be fine. If you have a garden and berry patch or access to cheap seasonal produce it can be a bit limiting.

Dehydrated cherries are amazing; use in place of raisins in fruit bread, etc. Just finished the last of ours :qq: tonight in homemade cherry and chocolate ice cream. :smug: Homemade beef jerky is a close second, flavoured with whatever interesting Asian hot sauces you have in the fridge.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

Hauki posted:

I tried using it for pourover where I do a pulse pour every fifteen seconds and it would frequently power off in that interval, so no, that's not an exaggeration. I'll try it with a power adapter, that behavior didn't seem to have anything to do with battery life, as it was doing that when I first got it and continued behaving the same way with fresh batteries as well. Also that setting didn't seem to have any impact.

I have the same scale and had the same problem when using it for pourover coffee. I suspect this not a defective unit, but just a design flaw. The issue is that your hot coffee cup or server is heating up the electronics/sensor just under the platform and causing the scale to gently caress up and turn off. All you need to do to use it for pourover is fold a kitchen towel and put it on top of the scale to insulate it a little bit or you could use some kind of rubbery plastic material or a potholder. I just leave the towel on the scale all the time, never had any problems after that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just keep in mind that a Dehydrator will STINK UP YOUR ENTIRE HOUSE. Best to keep it someplace well-ventilated.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just keep in mind that a Dehydrator will MAKE YOUR HOUSE SMELL LIKE DELICIOUS JERKY. Best to keep your windows closed so you can enjoy it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh right... meat. I'm not allowed to dehydrate meat in the house. :smith:

Dehydrated veggies smell terrible.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I spent half an hour just browsing OXO products on Amazon

And I only spent $120 so I think I came out ok.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's the best meat thermometer that you leave in, has an alarm for when it reaches the proper temp, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What's the best meat thermometer that you leave in, has an alarm for when it reaches the proper temp, etc.

I don't know that there's consensus here, but I love my DOT, by the same folks that made the thermapen. A lot in this category have a bunch of poo poo you don't need like meat settings and whatnot. This is just about letting you know when it hits the temp you set.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OK cool, this is for my parents so simple is good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone who uses an isi whipper try various brands of nitrous? Even isi themselves seem to sell multiple lines of the stuff with no clear difference.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

:sever:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sextro posted:

Anyone who uses an isi whipper try various brands of nitrous? Even isi themselves seem to sell multiple lines of the stuff with no clear difference.

I've tried the iSi and Whip-It brands and they're identical as far as I can tell. I just buy whatever's cheapest. I'm still going through my 120-pack from Leland.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Last time I stocked up on chargers, I bought the cheaper ones, it for the first time, I noticed a little difference in taste. Supposedly some are "purer" then others, but this was the first time I've ever noticed an off taste, even if it is barely noticeable.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ah, there's your problem. Jerky, fruit, and herbs make the house smell wonderful. The cats and dogs get a bit crazy when the meat's on though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Here's an incredible teardown of a KitchenAid mixer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have an immersion blender they would particularly recommend? I seems there a few good options but I'd love it if someone gave a solid rec for theirs

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have an immersion blender they would particularly recommend? I seems there a few good options but I'd love it if someone gave a solid rec for theirs

I have the Breville Control Grip and it's on the pricier side but it's very good. Solid, powerful, relatively easy to clean, doesn't overheat even when I abuse the crap out of it by running it way longer than I should.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everyone recommended the Kuhn Rikon peeler but I got one and it rusts like hell. WTF guys

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone recommended the Kuhn Rikon peeler but I got one and it rusts like hell. WTF guys

Weird, mine doesn't, to be specific I got this one and it works great and doesn't rust.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm talking about one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K2ZXMXA/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479618180&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=kuhn+rikon+peeler

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Booyah- posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bamix-Pro-1-Professional-Immersion-Blender/dp/B008NCR0VY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479637054&sr=8-1&keywords=bamix

Bamix for life.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

The blades aren't stainless steel on those.

I rinse in the hottest water I can get out of my tap, shake the poo poo out of it to get as much water out of the swivel joints as I can, then towel dry.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for some good (probably glass) all-purpose food storage containers. My current food storage set is all plastic and has two huge problems:

1. Because I have no dishwasher and therefore clean everything by hand, it's near impossible for me to fully remove fatty deposits attached to some of the plastic, especially on the lid
2. Speaking of the lid, washing by hand into the folds that keep it secure to the container is also near impossible. It doesn't bend back easy so a lot of gunk ends up staying there.

It's all-together incredibly disgusting. What is a good-quality food storage containers that is, above all else, easy to clean by hand? I don't need or want a huge set, anything more than an 8-10 piece set is probably overkill.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Krunge posted:

1. Because I have no dishwasher and therefore clean everything by hand, it's near impossible for me to fully remove fatty deposits attached to some of the plastic, especially on the lid
2. Speaking of the lid, washing by hand into the folds that keep it secure to the container is also near impossible. It doesn't bend back easy so a lot of gunk ends up staying there.

Are you trying to wash your dishes with just your hands and plain water, like some sort of caveman?

Both of these problems are easily solved with the modern inventions of dish soap (or "washing-up liquid," if you prefer the Queen's English to the revolutionaries') and dishwashing utensils.

If you're already using dish soap, you either need to use more (cheap brands are less effective and more dilute) or spend more than $0.99 on a bottle.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

Are you trying to wash your dishes with just your hands and plain water, like some sort of caveman?

Both of these problems are easily solved with the modern inventions of dish soap (or "washing-up liquid," if you prefer the Queen's English to the revolutionaries') and dishwashing utensils.

If you're already using dish soap, you either need to use more (cheap brands are less effective and more dilute) or spend more than $0.99 on a bottle.

I use non-concentrated dish soap, do you think that would be the issue?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Krunge posted:

I use non-concentrated dish soap, do you think that would be the issue?

If anyone has a better dish soap than this, I'd love to hear it. It works really well for me, especially on fat.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, Dawn is pretty much the ultimate, short of really nasty degreasers. It cuts grease like you wouldn't believe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Dawn concentrated. I've accidentally used Dawn non-concentrated and it's like 90% water. The good thick stuff plus a sponge plus hot running water will get plastic squeaky-clean. For #2, do you not have enough water pressure to blast out visible crud?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Or, you know, a brush with stiff bristles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Anyone going in on the Spinzall?