Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

InitialDave posted:

Looks like it does happen in the US, here's California's list:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/vexlit.pdf

Huh. I would have thought it violated the right to due process or something. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

I thought the consensus was that for brake/marker/turn bulbs, LED was generally A Bad Idea and not worth the trouble?

Anyhow I have LED in my licence plate, reverse, and interior bulbs, and regular incandescents everywhere else.

I found decent, bright LEDs for my park and tail/turn lights on my P71, which were my main concern. Marker lights and such are easy. I didn't want to get rear-ended because someone couldn't see my brake lights in daylight. Supposedly Samsung surface mount LED chips, and plenty of them. Cost like $15-20/pair.

e: corrected autocorrect "helping" (typo)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 8, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Huh. I would have thought it violated the right to due process or something. Neat.
Well, it doesn't stop you taking action, it just puts you on a restriction that someone has to check you're not taking the piss first.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Prong Song posted:

I think that's a hilarious and rather old-fashioned stance to take. Other than tax benefits, marriage is positive in what way (over simply being "together for a long period of time")?

EDIT; Actually, naw. I usually just slap some poo poo out there like that to throw my opinion into the ring so to speak, but this time I'm just gonna let it flow.

What the gently caress do you mean "she's a saint"? Marriage isn't a reward women get because they're putting up with a man's poo poo for a long period of time. It's not a prize at the end of the trial, not a guarantee they'll be "together forever". It's also NOT REQUIRED in LTRs.

Marriage is (supposed to be) an announced commitment between to people that they have a long-term relationship they don't plan on ending.

And if Scuz hasn't married his girlfriend yet, she's not a "saint". You don't know her, you don't know him. COULD BE she doesn't want to get married - could be, HE doesn't want to get married. It's not really any of your business. She's not a better person for not pressuring him into it yet (assuming he doesn't want to); that would actually make her an overbearing nag and generally not someone to marry. He's not a worse person for not having done it yet (assuming she wants to); that would make him a weak-willed pushover with no other goals in life.

I like how you think.

My current LTR has lasted nearly a year more than my marriage. (Cant beleive it's been over 8 years.....!) and yes what exactly does marriage give to us.... apart from legitimacy in the eyes of people we dont give a gently caress about? I mean, come on, marriage is legal and political construct, defacto these days gives you all the rights anyway..... you are married in all but the peice of paper and even then now, you can get one of those if you feel the need to make things solid.

Live with whomever you want and be done with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it possible to look up a ca in the UK knowing only its vanity plate? I tried looking up here https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ but it only wants the valid format. I don't quite understand how UK vanity plates work, is there another plate number that is the official one?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ola posted:

Is it possible to look up a ca in the UK knowing only its vanity plate? I tried looking up here https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ but it only wants the valid format. I don't quite understand how UK vanity plates work, is there another plate number that is the official one?

Should work, assuming that Os aren't actually 0s, etc

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So maintenance dropped by with no warning. Probably a good thing I didn't smoke any :420: when I got home!

I've been dealing with the breaker for the ac tripping frequently (a few times a week, for a bit over a month, with a work order open for almost a month). The breaker is a 20 amp 2 pole, which is pretty drat small for a 2.5 ton unit. He said he's ordered a 30 amp breaker, but it'll be a few days thanks to it being an ancient FPE Stab-Lok panel and not being able to get breakers locally.

Wait... upsizing the breaker? :stare: In a Federal Pacific panel? :stonk:

I guess he figured out what was going through my head when he saw the look on my face, and told me there's at least 10 gauge wiring on the circuit.

... be nice if they could get the thing to start reliably instead of throwing a bigger breaker at it. It only trips when the outside unit can't start. :argh:

Darchangel posted:

On the one hand, I appreciate the utility of bulb-out warning lamps, particularly for bulbs that are difficult to check (brakes, reverse). On the minus side, those things freak the gently caress out when you convert to LEDs. Fast-blink is bad enough, and usually easy enough to fix (I had to essentially intercept the flasher function and reroute it to an external flasher unit, since it's built in to the Lighting Control Unit, and I don't want to resort to crass hackery like adding load resistors.)
I may need to convert a couple of my dash warning lamps back to incandescent. they glow dimly when not "lit". apparently just enough voltage to start lighting an LED, but not a filament bulb. ABS warning light is noticeable at night, and another one just barely lights. My Cherokee did the same thing with the check Engine lamp.

Try having a car that uses the front turn signals as DRLs. :v: I don't think the load resistors are really meant to handle that kind of load nonstop all day every day. Which is why I still deal with replacing the drat things every 6-9 months.

And my last Civic (1995) did the same thing with the CEL when I tried putting in an LED. Oddly enough, every (warning) light on the dash of my current car is LED from the factory and non-replaceable. Turn signals, high beam indicator, and backlighting are all incandescent though.

angryrobots posted:

I thought the consensus was that for brake/marker/turn bulbs, LED was generally A Bad Idea and not worth the trouble?

Anyhow I have LED in my licence plate, reverse, and interior bulbs, and regular incandescents everywhere else.

I have all LED for my interior lighting (small panel in the dome light, 194s in the map lights) and for my license plate. The LED panel has lost a row of LEDs, but it still lights up the interior like the sun. It's also a chinesium LED panel with a few years on it, I more than got my money's worth out of it a long time ago.

I was behind a cargo van today that had the brake lights swapped to LEDs, and they slammed on the brakes. I didn't see the lights until I was about to eat their bumper. :saddowns: They had to be some of the dimmest LEDs I've ever seen.. or not seen, really. They were barely noticeable with the sun out.

Modus Man posted:

Why does my furnace sound like a quiet train whistle in half of my house? Oh, btw, I installed my own furnace and ductwork while knowing very little on the subject.

I snuck in a whistle tip, sorry.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

Tell us what the plate is, or better yet, post a picture, and we can try and work out if you've got the right format.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

Should work, assuming that Os aren't actually 0s, etc

I didn't get an error message when I swapped an I for 1, but there was no car to be found.

InitialDave posted:

Tell us what the plate is, or better yet, post a picture, and we can try and work out if you've got the right format.

Do your worst...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, seriously. What do you think the plate reads? There are generally only a few permutations it could be.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was behind a cargo van today that had the brake lights swapped to LEDs, and they slammed on the brakes. I didn't see the lights until I was about to eat their bumper. :saddowns: They had to be some of the dimmest LEDs I've ever seen.. or not seen, really. They were barely noticeable with the sun out.
That's why I thought they were inadvisable, the LED doesn't light up the reflector/diffuser correctly since it wasn't designed for those bulbs. Plus I don't really see the advantage of sticking them behind a tinted red or yellow diffuser, the ones I replaced I did so because I wanted bright white/daylight instead of warm/yellow.

There's also the issue, if you have LED bulbs and add resistors or whatever to make it trick your bulb warning kerjigger, you won't know if one dies.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ola posted:

Do your worst...

If you give us the plate, or what you thought it said any of us locals can instantly give you the options for getting that word within our valid plate structures. it isn't complicated if you've lived with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

scuz posted:

Yeah, I'm worried about finding out the price of the furnace :ohdear: The brand appears to be keeping its price levels away from prying eyes, but its efficiency is 96%, which I guess is pretty good. For now, the price of DirecTV is about the same as the payments for the furnace, so it's swapping something I barely use (the TV) for something that will keep us and our cats warm and alive (furnace). That's making me freak out less, which is nice.

Yeah, man, I don't think you hosed up here. That efficiency rating is massively dependent on the system having been installed right and not half-assed. it makes a huge difference.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

That's why I thought they were inadvisable, the LED doesn't light up the reflector/diffuser correctly since it wasn't designed for those bulbs.

You just have to buy quality LED modules. I put a set of these in my combination brake/tail lights over the summer and they fully illuminate the reflector, are visible in full sunlight and there is a noticeable difference between running light and brake light.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A coworker got a new hood ornament

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice V5 and 6
Pullled wheels sent them to bike shop for trueing, installed slime, installed filling connection, installed drain for waste water tank, installed adapter for 1lb gas bottle (we saved 15 pounds!), secured the power cord for the freezer.
Replaced 4 bolts holding platform up with longer shoulder bolts, more washers, after straightening out brackets. it looks a little better at least.
Before:

After:

Plumbing all wrapped up -
[ttimg]http://i.imgur.com/uCXnIT4.jpg[/timg]
Fill Connection now, instead of hose!

This is the differential, I have not even looked up how it works, but should I be worried about the grease coming from the center?

So now, there is an actual expansion plan for the business.
IIG will put a new cabinet on this bike, and sell it to friend in South Carolina.
IIG has put a deposit on a new pedicab and we will mount same cabinet version on this pedicab with new freezer.
I started designing the new cabinet, will post some sketches.
I will be assembling new icicle tricycle this winter, after extended maintenance on this bike to replace the cabinet.

Still to do, to keep this bike on the road:
figure out clunking in drivetrain
eliminate extra set of connectors in motor wire
replace battery connectors

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, seriously. What do you think the plate reads? There are generally only a few permutations it could be.

I know what the plate reads and swapping the only letter that could also be a character removed the error message on the search page. Sorry for being Mr Mystery here, it's a few years since I saw the car, it was owned by a company I used to work for. Since no car came up, I am guessing it has since been sold and the vanity plate deleted. Isn't it typical to delete plates?

e: hang on, looks like it still exists: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ705ecBPpr/?taken-by=supercarsofmanchester

Plate is F1LMM

e: feh, stupid instagram account is recycling his pics https://www.instagram.com/p/BGVCEbuLOkq/

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 5, 2016

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I just had to take my dog skinny to the vet to be put down, he had lymphoma. The last couple of days he'd gone downhill massively, barely eating and harddly moving but we got to the vet and he pigged out on choccy dog treats like nothing was wrong and tried to chase the vets cat, and then he had to go. I want him to come back but now I'm going to bury him and drink. sorry to be a downer

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bend posted:

I just had to take my dog skinny to the vet to be put down, he had lymphoma. The last couple of days he'd gone downhill massively, barely eating and harddly moving but we got to the vet and he pigged out on choccy dog treats like nothing was wrong and tried to chase the vets cat, and then he had to go. I want him to come back but now I'm going to bury him and drink. sorry to be a downer

loving sorry dude :( it loving sucks and is the worst goddamn feeling in the world.

I put my Toby down like two weeks ago, and just reading your post has the onion cutting going again :(

Condolences man :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm sorry :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You know you are going fast on a bicycle if you are utterly terrified to even glance at the bike computer. As in holy poo poo I just run out of gears on 52-11... at that point it's just stop trying to pedal and hang on for dear life

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

I know what the plate reads and swapping the only letter that could also be a character removed the error message on the search page. Sorry for being Mr Mystery here, it's a few years since I saw the car, it was owned by a company I used to work for. Since no car came up, I am guessing it has since been sold and the vanity plate deleted. Isn't it typical to delete plates?

e: hang on, looks like it still exists: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ705ecBPpr/?taken-by=supercarsofmanchester

Plate is F1LMM
It will most likely have been put on a retention certificate, and thereby not count as a vehicle if you search for it, but it still "exists".

People really avoid having a vanity plate lapse in this country, they can cost quite a lot as they only exist as a product of what the rules for plate format generate, you have no option to request your plate reads a certain thing, all you can do is buy it if it 1) exists and 2) is for sale. an F1 xxx reg would likely be on the market for £1500+ (whether it's worth that or sells for it is another matter).

bend posted:

Sorry man. It's rough, but sometimes there's not a lot you can do.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bend posted:

On the bright side lymphoma should have been painless for him. We just put down our 12yo german sheppard, she was diagnosed with lymphoma too and at least it was painless.

It's going to be rough, it sucks, everything sounds like them and you forget they're not there and then it his you and :(

My last two weeks have been... rough. In addition to my pup no longer being with us, at work my mentor and good friend was let go, so there's going to be some adjusting in the next little while.

On the plus side I did negotiate a 10% raise for myself due to hard work and running my department well. :unsmith:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Good news!

Does the US have the thing that the UK has, where perpetual troublemakers can actually be barred from raising legal proceedings against anyone without initial review/permission to say they may?

Yes, and to the best of my knowledge, it isn't just Cali.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexatious_litigation

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bend posted:

I'm very sorry :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bend posted:

:glomp:

Damnit guys, what did I say about chopping entire fields of onions in here? :smith:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I took a picture of my cats because my cars are put away for winter. First time going outside since he showed up on the porch about a year ago as a kitten.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I went to the AACA museum in Hershey for a beers and wings event today. Everything there is awesome but I wasn't prepared for the Tucker exhibit. They have four of the loving things. That's gotta be a decent sized percentage of the ones that are left. They really are breathtaking cars to behold.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks guys, yeah it's not easy. we buried him out at the farm a little while ago and coming in the door just now I still halfway expected to see him waiting for me.
That cat of yours looks very determined to take over the backyard lightbulb out. We got a new one earlier this year who spent the last year or so boarded in a kennel, he's utterly terrified and absolutely fascinated by the outside world. So far all his forays have been a full sprint to the nearest thing he can hide under and back after a minute or two of trying to build up the courage to go explore.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Too many fur babies are being lost in AI. :smith: bend I am sorry man.

Today's story in government ineptitude: I finally got my Concealed Firearms Permit in the mail after waiting two months to be processed. I opened the envelope to see my brand new shiny card with my name and all relevant information.

And some random guy is staring back at me where my face should be :what: of course I get it on Friday night when the offices are closed. It's nice to think how my face greeted some random today as well. With stuff like my SSN and fingerprints that are on file with the FBI etc this is fine. I'm fine with the events that are unfolding currently. :gibs::shepicide:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

bend posted:

Thanks guys, yeah it's not easy. we buried him out at the farm a little while ago and coming in the door just now I still halfway expected to see him waiting for me.
That cat of yours looks very determined to take over the backyard lightbulb out. We got a new one earlier this year who spent the last year or so boarded in a kennel, he's utterly terrified and absolutely fascinated by the outside world. So far all his forays have been a full sprint to the nearest thing he can hide under and back after a minute or two of trying to build up the courage to go explore.

Sorry for your loss.

This kitty gained far more confidence after the other 2 cats of ours came outside. He's terrified, but super interested.
Chill Cat

Nervous Cat

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nothing requires you to marry someone after a certain amount of time, it's up to you guys. That being said, we got married on the 10th of last month, it cost us $125 and there were 3 people at the wedding including us. We'd been together in one capacity or another for a whopping 14 months and change at the time, and got engaged after a year, but it's been quite obvious to both of us for a significant percentage of that time that it was meant to be :D

Parents were clearly a bit disappointed that we got eloped, but oh well, they already had their ration of ANSI Standard Happy Kid Wedding when my brother got married last year, they can deal with it, I'm their only chance for grandkids and we aren't sure about that yet. I think they are just happy all their kids are successfully married off now.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Congratulations, Ken!

They can always hope for unigrandchild code implementation and hope you don't withhold to be 7 bit forever. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm on call this week, and while on a call for no power earlier, I got a text from capital one, asking if I had spent $100 at a Jamba Juice in NC. Great, sent back a negative reply text and they locked the card.

Got home, was on the phone finishing up with the bank getting a new card otw and my call duty partner calls then immediately texts me, 5 car wreck, 911 says power lines on car, people trapped, fire dept can't reach them.

gently caress gently caress gently caress, that's nightmare scenario right there. Hang up on card customer service mid-sentence, run to my work truck and bury the loving accelerator into the floor board so hard I put a hole in my sock on the way there.

Google maps says it's a 30 minute drive - I made it in 14. Found out a 2011 2500HD is speed limited to exactly 100 mph. And of course when I get there, it wasn't even what they claimed, they had already gotten everyone out, and the power wires they saw were just control wiring for the DOT box for the traffic light at that intersection. (All traffic signals were out)

I mean I'm glad it wasn't like they claimed, but drat I wish they wouldn't exaggerate like that. They did have to life flight out two people, though. :( But that better than the alternative.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Congrats, Kastein. Our wedding was just an excuse to throw a party and eat tacos. I would highly recommend it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats Ken!

You won't regret eloping. I mean you might regret getting married, lol, but you won't regret not having the big stressful wedding. We didn't tell anybody, flew to Vegas and got married, then called and shocked everybody.

(Double posting like a muufuckka)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Today's story in government ineptitude:

:words:

So yea. My story isn't exactly government ineptitude, but it was frustrating in any case. I recently decided that I should apply for one of the 'fast' entry methods for when entering the country so that I could use the SENTRI lanes. There are two ways to go - SENTRY or Global Entry. The requirements on the State Department website are identical, although the costs are slightly different. For my purposes the benefits are the same. However, SENTRI requires you do to the interview at one of the border towns, therefore requiring a long trip and at least a day off work. GE on the other hand has interviews at my local international airport, so that is the one I went with. I applied, and sent the government their 100 dollar application fee, and shockingly, got my preliminary approval letter in only 10 days (I have lived a boring life, background checks are super easy on me), so I scheduled my interview, and again got lucky, and hopped in on a slot where someone else had canceled, so only a couple weeks after the letter.

I show up for the interview, hand the guy all my documents and passport card. He says "I need your passport". I said - it's right there (the card). Umm... nope, need an actual passport book, which I don't have, since I don't need one and therefore never got one. Apparently, even though the State Department site calls the passport card a passport, it's not really a passport. Ugh...

So he cancels the appointment, tells me that I can just apply for the passport book, and to just go ahead and reschedule the appointment as I'll get the book before the appointment comes up. I get the dumb forms, and they require that I send in my passport card with the application (which they will send back whenever they get around to issuing the book in 4-6 weeks), even though their FAQ on the site says that I only need to send the card if I'm renewing by mail. Well, since I'm going to be using the passport card at least 3 times in the next 6 weeks, that's just not possible, so I submitted it without the card, and I guess I'll see what happens.

Got back on the site to schedule the interview... and the next available interview slots are mid-February, since for some stupid reason they cut down the interview slots from 8a-4p which had only about a 1 month lead time at the local site to 11a-2p (yea, 3 hours, with 4 slots per hour per day) for the next few months... :argh:

So instead of having my speedy lane card in my hands right now, I'm out another $100 for the passport book and looking at 3 more months at best to get it, because the government can't be bothered to tell you anywhere in the application process that a 'passport card' isn't really a 'passport'. Oh, and the electronic application process accepts the passport number from the back of the card and approves the application. /sigh..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats to you Kastein!

Now howabout squaring things with the misses so you can head to Florida with 14" when he gets that heap rolling?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Told my boss yes to becoming our store's new asst manager today, request goes in tomorrow. She was being picky as hell about who she considered for the last 6+ months, district manager suggested me and she took it under consideration. Come to last friday, I asked her about the possibility of a raise and she told me the only way I'll get one before my review in 4 months is to take the asst position which comes with an extra buck an hour. She laid out her concerns and said she'd be awaiting my answer. I haven't even been here 2 years and have a long list of day to day operations poo poo to learn still. Kinda excited and absolutely terrified I'll gently caress this up. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Assistants aren't salaried? :stare:

Really not related aside from being retail management, but Papa John's offered me an asst, then a GM, position.. less than a year after I'd been hired as a driver. But they offered me $22k/yr, minimum 50 hours a week, for an asst position, and 28k for store manager, also 50+ hours a week. With no possibility for bonuses for quite awhile. :laffo:

I mean, this was a good time ago (2000 and 2001), but they really expected me to work 50+ hours a week for that, when I was raping them on overtime as an hourly shift lead and was working 80-100 hours a week. I eventually took an asst position, but stepped back down to driver pretty quickly. They closed about half of the corporate owned stores in DFW pretty shortly afterwards - the stores they'd tried to give me (in a GM role) were closed. They also did away with the assistant role at the same time - it's been GM and shift managers since then.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread