Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Welp, I guess my copy of Fury of Dracula arrived today. I've continued scouring the 'nets for a clearer picture of whether it's too easy to hide or run as Dracula, since I'm picturing not being able to pick up a lead or catch up to him would be the biggest source of frustration for Hunter players. If you count the reviews in, there seem to be about as many people really liking it as there are ones bitching about it. Of course, if you're unhappy you're probably more likely to post complaints about it than non-reviewers are about having a good time.

I guess I'm kinda anxious about it because this thing looks cool as gently caress, and I really want it to be good. Worst case scenario I can probably get twice what I paid off this in a year or two, but that's not the most exciting prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

I just... what? How? It's one of the best intro games that I've seen out there.

Some of their favourite games are King of Tokyo, Qwixx and Bang the card game. They're not into the whole deep strategy, actually make a plan more than half a turn ahead, thing. They also don't like it when I "tryhard" in Dominion with witches and chapels and stuff. Like, I've adapted, and I've found ways to enjoy myself with them, but I don't get to play my preferred games very often.

Edit: also the group isn't homogenous (there's 14 of us). When certain people are there, I get to play GoT, TM, Power Grid, so it works out. Just not very often :P.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blunt Instrument posted:

Welp, I guess my copy of Fury of Dracula arrived today. I've continued scouring the 'nets for a clearer picture of whether it's too easy to hide or run as Dracula, since I'm picturing not being able to pick up a lead or catch up to him would be the biggest source of frustration for Hunter players. If you count the reviews in, there seem to be about as many people really liking it as there are ones bitching about it. Of course, if you're unhappy you're probably more likely to post complaints about it than non-reviewers are about having a good time.

I guess I'm kinda anxious about it because this thing looks cool as gently caress, and I really want it to be good. Worst case scenario I can probably get twice what I paid off this in a year or two, but that's not the most exciting prospect.

Just be sure that whoever you pick as Dracula is about as clever as the rest of the group. Too clever or not clever enough are the problems, just like any other 1vMany game.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Blunt Instrument posted:

It is, it's cool as gently caress

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Chill la Chill posted:

Just be sure that whoever you pick as Dracula is about as clever as the rest of the group. Too clever or not clever enough are the problems, just like any other 1vMany game.

Will do, thanks. My group doesn't really mind swinginess or care particularly about winning or losing, as long as the game keeps everyone engaged - they love everything from Arkham Horror to Dominion to 4X. It'd really have to be flagrantly dull or frustrating to get them down on it, so I'm probably worried over nothing.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
New Dawn is the MM DotD for $22, any experiences or thoughts on the game?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

In other news, can any Canucks verify if Feast for Odin already came and left up North? I've been keeping an eye on 401/BGB and haven't heard a peep.

I got my pre order copy in October from 401.

Since then I did get one back in stock notify from BGB, but by the time I looked (out of curiosity) it was out again. Game's red hot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
BGB also opened pre orders for Cottage Garden and The Colonists, I can't remember the last time I mashed a BUY button so hard.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I got my pre order copy in October from 401.

Since then I did get one back in stock notify from BGB, but by the time I looked (out of curiosity) it was out again. Game's red hot.

I didn't even get a notification and I've been borderline F5'ing the site. Guess I'll just have to wait for the re-stock :(

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I started looking into Rum & Bones. I loved Monsterpocalypse, so a new Customizable-Armies-On-A-Map-Resource-Management-Dice-Rolling-Push-Your-Luck-Em-Up sounded right up my alley. Now that I've watched one of CMON's gameplay videos I'm significantly less excited. Obviously the big draw of the game is the shamelessly cheesecake and intellectual property infringing minis, but does anybody have anything good to say about the game itself or is it exactly as dumb and random as it looks?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Got shipping confirmation for my Feast for Odin and Inis order. :woop:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not sure if I saw the Dice Tower resistance playthrough you guys meant, but Jason had some valid points in the two games I saw, mired under the fact that he was completely unable to explain his logic and was smothered by how Tom is a complete alpha gamer.

Example: he mentioned the "rule" that if you are a good guy, you should always pick yourself in a team. He was unable to explain why this is the case, and he jumped to stupid conclusions (ie "If you don't pick yourself you are obviously a spy" when it was obvious that they weren't understanding his logic rather than playing scummy), but the logic is valid and is one I use. Basically, if you are a good guy, you know for certain that one person is a good guy: yourself! So picking yourself means that you have to make less judgement calls on other people.

This logic is less important in the 1st team (cause there is less impetus to win the mission or you lose), but it's important logic for good guys to understand later on in the game or they will likely lose. Jason, however, was trying to apply rules that only work when everyone is on board with a group of people that hadn't internalised those rules yet. Then again, the reaction from the other players was equally horrible.

tl;dr I would never play a game of Resistance with any of them, they basically tick all the stereotypes for terrible players of resistance.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

tl;dr I would never play a game [...] with any of them, they basically tick all the stereotypes for terrible players [...]

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any recommendations for large bags for transport of games? I need something that will hold larger boxed games like Conan, Mage Knight & Kemet when needed. And preferably hold 3-5 games even if they are the larger boxes. Also Amazon would be a plus.

What's everyone's take on Conan? I played one game of the first scenario last week and we should be playing some more tonight. I like it so far. It seems to be an improvement over things like Descent 2ED.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Man, there is not a lot of game in the Oregon Trail card game. I don't really get these games without any real gameplay -- do Kickstarter users just throw money at anything with cute art?

Someone from high school just posted on Facebook about seeing and buying it. I was just like, welp, too late now. It's not like there's a page in the paper with weekly board game reviews, most people just don't know until they play it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I see a lot of large/extra large Ikea bags like these. Link for illustration purposes only, that's just the first result for "big ikea bag"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

tl;dr I would never play a game with any of them, they basically tick all the stereotypes for terrible gamers

simplified and honed your message a bit

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Has anyone played Fabled Fruit? I just saw it on my weekly email from my favourite e-retailer. Apparently it's a non-destructive Legacy game. Anyone tried it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Has anyone played Fabled Fruit? I just saw it on my weekly email from my favourite e-retailer. Apparently it's a non-destructive Legacy game. Anyone tried it?

I have. The way it works is you have 24 cards in play - initially four copies of six different cards, but later that will change. Each card can be used to play an action, or bought to go towards the victory condition (which as I recall is buying a fifth card) . When a card is bought, a new card is put into play from the stack.

Where the legacy aspect comes in is at the end of the game. The cards everyone bought are sorted by number and put on the bottom of the stack, while the 24 cards in play are placed on top. So each new game starts precisely where the last game ended, and when you get to the end of the stack you'll naturally return to the start.

The neat trick is that as you progress through the stack cards will come into play that introduce new mechanics and concepts while familiar actions will disappear.

I liked it as a filler, but didn't buy it because I don't see it hitting the table often enough to get through the stack.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Hmm, there's a fairly negative review of Cottage Garden on BGG. Sounds like Patchwork might still be unchallenged based on this guy's impression.

Has anyone played both and can weigh in?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

Hmm, there's a fairly negative review of Cottage Garden on BGG. Sounds like Patchwork might still be unchallenged based on this guy's impression.

Has anyone played both and can weigh in?

Cottage Garden is lighter and the puzzling is a bit easier cause you can see way ahead of time when you can grap which tile. And you don't have to look after you button economy.

You just puzzle and score.

But I still like it. Nice game to start or end an evening cause it is pretty relaxing.

Just don't think of it as Patchwork 2.0. The games are different enough that I can have both of them my collection

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I see a lot of large/extra large Ikea bags like these. Link for illustration purposes only, that's just the first result for "big ikea bag"

I want something like a gym/duffel bag type thing that is able to be zipped close and also has some smaller compartments for smaller games. The bag I have right now is great, though could be a little bigger, but it is getting old and starting to fall apart. I was just hoping there was a few favorites of the group here or something.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

FulsomFrank posted:

You'd just think that after playing as many games as they have a guy like Sam would be used to getting creamed or hosed over and know how roll with the punches, let alone in a game that he says he loves. I like the Dice Tower guys and no one likes being screwed by the rules but it's pretty embarrassing to throw a hissy-fit and retreat to your phone as soon as something doesn't go your way. The Jason meltdown was way cringier though.

In other news, can any Canucks verify if Feast for Odin already came and left up North? I've been keeping an eye on 401/BGB and haven't heard a peep.

Vancouver's game stores have had a wave of copies in and picked up by this point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Trastion posted:

I want something like a gym/duffel bag type thing that is able to be zipped close and also has some smaller compartments for smaller games. The bag I have right now is great, though could be a little bigger, but it is getting old and starting to fall apart. I was just hoping there was a few favorites of the group here or something.

I've never used them, but search Amazon for a "cajon bag". They're made to carry a square percussion instrument that is the size of many stacked board games.
Here's a pic from an amazon review

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for large bags for transport of games?

I use a standard sports duffel myself. I've carried Cthulhu Wars in it, and regularly have four or five games plus fillers in it.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Anyone tried sleeving Dominion with all expansions? Is it worth it? My group plays heavily enough and I'd love to make shuffling easier, but I'm having a hard time getting past the idea of spending $70+ on loving card sleeves.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't have all of the expansions, but I do have 3 of them plus promos. I would say it is worth it. Makes the cards easier to shuffle, resistant to minor food/drinks, and it's more feasible to replace a sleeve than a card. Also it avoids marking the cards, which doesn't matter as much in non tourney settings.

On that note, does anyone want to buy Dominion with 5 expansions on most promos, all sleeved? :v:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Anyone tried sleeving Dominion with all expansions? Is it worth it? My group plays heavily enough and I'd love to make shuffling easier, but I'm having a hard time getting past the idea of spending $70+ on loving card sleeves.

I have done this. I don't recommend it. There are enough kingdom cards that they'll wear really slowly and when your basic cards wear out you can just buy a new Base Cards set.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

If you do sleeve them there is a guy on Boardgamegeek that used to sell a divider set the made that turn one of the big boxes into a decent holder/organizer. I don't have all of the expansions but for what I do have it would be terrible without that.

Jedit posted:

I use a standard sports duffel myself. I've carried Cthulhu Wars in it, and regularly have four or five games plus fillers in it.

I think I am going to look at MC Sports or Dicks to see what they have.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

I have done this. I don't recommend it. There are enough kingdom cards that they'll wear really slowly and when your basic cards wear out you can just buy a new Base Cards set.

If you have base and intrigue you already have two sets of the base cards, to boot.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I can't imagine playing Dominion with unsleeved cards. Shuffling must be miserable.

We haven't found unever wear to be a problem, but we also have a big pile of base cards, all sleeved, that we rotate through over time. Anywho, if you're playing enough Dominion to wear through sleeves, then you're playing enough that the shuffling benefits will be worthwhile.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Trastion posted:

If you do sleeve them there is a guy on Boardgamegeek that used to sell a divider set the made that turn one of the big boxes into a decent holder/organizer. I don't have all of the expansions but for what I do have it would be terrible without that.

I think I am going to look at MC Sports or Dicks to see what they have.

Remember there're also thrift shops and the used sections in your local sports/outdoorsy stores if you don't need something pristine. I got a 100% stink-free used Nike gym bag for $7 that fits 3+ full size game boxes, with pouches for small games, dice, snacks, keys, etc.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If you really want to sleeve Dominion, why not just give each player a pile of sleeves, and sleeve carts as you get them? Would that interrupt the game flow too much?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only possible problem with this is if, because of the reformatted cards included with the 2nd editions, they discontinue the base cards. I don't know if that would even happen, and even if it did, if you play the game that much, you could just rebuy one of the random editions with cards in it.

unpronounceable posted:

If you really want to sleeve Dominion, why not just give each player a pile of sleeves, and sleeve carts as you get them? Would that interrupt the game flow too much?

If the goal is just to get everything sleeved, that sounds okay so long as the players have the dexterity down. At the same point, if you've played enough CCGs and sleeved enough cards, you can bang out 500 cards in, like, two hours or so.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Magnetic North posted:

If the goal is just to get everything sleeved, that sounds okay so long as the players have the dexterity down. At the same point, if you've played enough CCGs and sleeved enough cards, you can bang out 500 cards in, like, two hours or so.

I was thinking more sleeve as you go, and take everything out at the end. It seemed like a good compromise between only using sleeved cards, and buying fucktons of sleeves. Now that I think about it though, teardown would be a really big pain, especially if you want to play several games in a row.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

Its not hard, just tedious. Put a podcast or audio book on and just git er done

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Sleeving and organizing hundreds of cards at a time is strangely relaxing for me, kind of like assembling/painting miniatures or punching out board game components. I could do those things forever with a good podcast or movie in the background.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Got my Pyramid Arcade box in the mail today. So many shiny new pieces to try and figure out how I want to store.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

unpronounceable posted:

I was thinking more sleeve as you go, and take everything out at the end. It seemed like a good compromise between only using sleeved cards, and buying fucktons of sleeves. Now that I think about it though, teardown would be a really big pain, especially if you want to play several games in a row.

Yeah, tear down is already bad enough in Dominion, even without the need to desleeve. Also, each time you sleeve a card, you're imparting some friction and dust and force onto them, which probably defeats the purpose of sleeving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking for a conquest type game, my group has played game of thrones and liked it though it bogs down way too much sometimes. They've also enjoyed small world, though I'm coming to really feel the limitations / problems that game has. What are some goon approved games in this genre?