Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

NtotheTC posted:

I'm back to wanting to play EVE after 2 months on WoW. That game is stupid, the development team is obviously understaffed and it has no future beyond stubborn idiots playing it because they don't know anything else. It's like dating a girl that constantly reminds you of the ex you aren't over yet.

So what's happened on EVE?

It's stupid, the development team is obviously understaffed and it has no future beyond stubborn idiots playing it because they don't know anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

ullerrm posted:

Yup. That's why it's really useful to think of RLML/RHML/RTLs in terms of total damage dealt. It's also why damage bonuses are really important for hulls that use them.

Take a Raven, for example. An overheated RHML Raven has 977 dps on paper... but a better way to think of it is "a maximum of 42,500 damage over 45 seconds." (1700 volley damage for CN Scourge with perfect skills, 25 volleys, 1.74sec per volley). So you can kill a maximum of one medium-tanked T1 cruiser before you have to reload, and that's assuming that you apply perfectly. The Raven has a huge ROF bonus, but no damage bonus, so it gets a mediocre load of damage out very quickly... and then derives no benefit from the ROF bonus while you're reloading.

For contrast, take a Typhoon Fleet Issue with the same fit. Same number of launchers, same ammo, but instead of a ROF bonus, it gets a missile damage bonus. At 1007 dps on paper, it's supposedly in the same ballpark as the Raven... but thinking about it in terms of damage-before-reload, you get "a maximum of 58,425 damage over 58 seconds." Way more likely to kill a given T1 cruiser before you hit a reload.

(ROF bonuses also mean you're generating more heat in the same period of time, so it's much harder to overheat all the things.)

IMO only time ROF is really good is when you're using some kinda turret that holds a poo poo-ton of ammo, and you need more chances to track

the RLML/RHMLs are a pretty cool weapons system, and they seem to be really good in combination with a few hulls (orthrus, cerb, barghest, gila, rattlesnake)

also WTF is the rattlesnake; if you pay a bit (like 800mil) you can get a BS hull that has 150k ehps and 1200 dps lmao

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

NtotheTC posted:

I'm back to wanting to play EVE after 2 months on WoW. That game is stupid, the development team is obviously understaffed and it has no future beyond stubborn idiots playing it because they don't know anything else. It's like dating a girl that constantly reminds you of the ex you aren't over yet.

So what's happened on EVE? I've missed the IWI drama which I'm sad about, was anything interesting announced at Vegas? And we have a keepstar now apparently? Did no-one show up to shoot it?

I thought EVE was the ex (who you can't stop going back to).

In semi-recent events, SMA got on the bad side of an organized internet spaceship gambling group due to some RL drama, and after a few months of skirmishing the gambling organization (I Want ISK, or IWI) hired The Rest of Eve to come evict us from the North. We called them out for RMT, a few of them got banned, CCP went back on the bans because gambling was driving a lot of PLEX sales. We couldn't overcome trillions in bribes to other alliance leaders, and subsequently got kicked out of Deklein and lost the entire north. Several alliances in the CFC Imperium left, CO2 outright stabbed us in the back, and we lost probably 50% of our in-game characters.

After spending a few months in low-sec making noises about a Forever Hellwar to Retake the North, we moved everything south and conquered Delve. Citadels were released soon after we lost our space, and retaking a Citadel-filled North would have been difficult at even odds, and impossible at the 1:2 or 1:3 odds we were facing. Amazingly, we successfully evacuated the vast majority of alliance assets, and never suffered a crippling loss of supers or even capitals. Our biggest loss was in liquid ISK: we burned through most of our liquid assets paying SRP for over half a year.

As we were establishing ourselves in Delve, various districts attorney started making noises about online gambling in video games. Said authorities were mostly looking at Blizzard and Valve, but CCP got spooked and simultaneously investigated IWI and found that, yes, they really were RMTing, and then banned a bunch of them. At the same time, our foes began turning on themselves.

Today, we sit in Delve krabbing like crazy and trying to convince everybody to get a Force Auxiliary (capital logistics ship). After that, who knows. We're still waiting for the Hellwar to start. (Numismancer: hint hint).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

I thought EVE was the ex (who you can't stop going back to).

That was the joke I was attempting to make but fluffed. Thanks for the update- I'm interested to see what this new F2P angle does.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Hey are you nerds going to let me play with you yet?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
what happened to shadow cartel? also kimsemus did nothing wrong

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

uh guys he was mean to dbrb in another game

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

Corp left shadow cartel about ~ 7 months ago, I think they're still doing well.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Kimsemus posted:

Hey are you nerds going to let me play with you yet?

why would you want to play eve online in goon, they are the bad guys lmao

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So tonight the EVE_NT Fall Championship starts off and is going to be every Sunday at 1945 UTC, except for Nov 27th due to American Thanksgiving. Teams will be battling it out for IGC Apocalypse skins which is pretty neat.

We'll be doing streams in both English on the main channel, and in Russian on our fancy new Russian channel.

Tonight's matches are in the Minor League:

Phalanx vs CleverGirls
Burnt Out vs MeMe Team
Provi-Shotz vs The Charlatans
MeMe Team vs CleverGirls
Burnt Out vs Provi-Shotz

Phalanx: Phalanx are a team of ‘thera bois’ form the corp Bikini Bottom Ultras. Their CEO is linked to HYDRA and their small-gang corp is all about PVP and roam pretty often. We hope they do well and bring some new faces to the EVE_NT tourney scene.

CleverGirls - Winners of Fight Club in early 2016, CleverGirls are arguably the team with the most experience in this format coming into The Championship. Unfortunately due to an administration technicality they missed out on their Major League spot, so are placed in the Minor League. Predominantly they are members of Pandemic Horde captained by Catatonic Dawn.

Burnt Out - If the logo didn't give it away then this team is the EVE_NT Championship team fielded by members of Pandemic Legion, who have the most Alliance Tournament victories of any team in EVE. Captained by Cheeb Aman.

MeMe Team - The team representing TEST Alliance as both Soldarius & suicide hope to lead them to victory and bounce back from underwhelming performances in both Fight Club and ATXIV.

Provi-Shotz - The core residents CVA head up this team with team captain Eos Canon waving their banner. Recently providence held its own internal 5v5 tournament for which many of these player took part so they have a little experience in a 5v5 scenario.

The Charlatans - The Charlatans are a really fun team of lowsec vagabonds from the Stay Frosty alliance. When they aren’t ransoming your ship for ISK or roaming farming entosis links they are often seen training for tournaments. They had a fantastic top 16 run in the Alliance Tournament being eventually knocked out by their sparring partners, PFR.

Also if you were curious on what ships and the fittings were available for the teams to field you can find them here

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I was going to try and convince a few of my friends to join EVE once it's f2p. We're not that close. Is karmafleet still the best/only feeder into Imperium if they're not SA members? Access to newbee resources is really useful when starting out, and god help them if they have to join Horde actually I'd tell them not to play at all.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 8, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
ascee recruits from jita directly im pretty sure

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

ascee recruits from jita directly im pretty sure

Karmafleet are better posters, which is saying very close to nothing.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
not relevant to his question in the slightest

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

not relevant to his question in the slightest

He asked who was the best feeder. Posting quality is of the utmost relevance.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

FYI that statement also applies to Eve lol.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
the wow team is at almost 300 people now and is the best the game has been since wrath so that guy is retarded

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
all i wanna do is pvp in wow but they force you to do pve content for ilvl which is annoying as poo poo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

So with this new API, how long before we start getting Eve-mail spambots?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
my most enjoyable moments in wow are running around and doing pve and quests and even levelling because i enjoy the music and diverse environments

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Landsknecht posted:

my most enjoyable moments in wow are running around and doing pve and quests and even levelling because i enjoy the music and diverse environments

Its really great right now, with World quests.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

So with this new API, how long before we start getting Eve-mail spambots?

Trying not to think about it.

Beanbox posted:

Its really great right now, with World quests.

Legion has been great. A lot of fun with what they have done. Legion really refreshed WoW and its pretty exciting. I log into EVE and then go play WoW basically. At least until I got to 110 and the you do a more casual approach.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
So, I've been playing this game lazily since July. I'm very much into intel. Did my research before subbing and spec'd into Exploring right away. Joined a shiny new corp in Derelik couple days in, which turned out to be a complete clusterfuck.

First days are good, I get contacted by some active PVP neighbor corp, pretend to be an idiot and feed him a ton of BS implying that we have a parent corp, even though we're a complete indie, my CEO ignores the guy completely. Then the usual happens. We get slapped with wardecs left and right, CEO nowhere to be seen, miners get podded daily. Quarter of the corp ragequits, while I attempt to retrain a portion of the remaining people into lowsec/wormhole exploration and succeed with 8 of them. Wardeccers don't follow us into lowsec, so we are weirdly "safe" (ship loss is still high, but nowhere near the wardec ratios and they're making a fuckton more ISKs than when mining). My boys scavenge north of Derelik dry. PVP slightly recedes. CEO shows up with a fkin battleplan, wants noobs to tackle a 6-yr old active char wardeccer. We train, assemble in full force, he just sits in the station. We end up fighting another guy later on, and get completely mowed down in our noob ships. Half of the peeps are miner chars at that point, with zero battle skills. The other half is my guys. CEO turns out to be a complete dick and tries to humiliate and then kick one of the members because said member criticized him. I stand up to him. He drops me. I join another corp, a part of Proviblock. More than half of the old corp people leave with me when they learn about the fuckery. Old CEO wardecs the new corp and gets really salty. I feed the corp intel to my friendly PVP contact just in case. Another quarter of old corp leaves to join pirate corps, but still wants to stay friends with us. We mow down the old corp's Citadels. Old CEO ragequits.

My question is: Is it worth it for me to leave the cuddly quiet Proviblock and join the GSF? How is your management? I'm really not cool with incompetent people at the steering wheel. I'm interested in Exploration and Scouting. I got Mumble and CTS access, can TS or Discord as well. When my bro flew with Big, they had a really neat system of rewards for scouting. What do you guys have that makes you better than others?

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Meat_Grinder posted:

My question is: Is it worth it for me to leave the cuddly quiet Proviblock and join the GSF? How is your management? I'm really not cool with incompetent people at the steering wheel. I'm interested in Exploration and Scouting. I got Mumble and CTS access, can TS or Discord as well. When my bro flew with Big, they had a really neat system of rewards for scouting. What do you guys have that makes you better than others?

GSF is way better option then Proviblock if you want action. Provibock is great if you just want to sit in the same spot all your life and wonder what else is out there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Meat_Grinder posted:

My question is: Is it worth it for me to leave the cuddly quiet Proviblock and join the GSF? How is your management? I'm really not cool with incompetent people at the steering wheel.
GSF management is competent. People who step up and show initiative aren't poo poo on like in your story.

However it's also a bunch of strong personalities who have absolute power and will use it. A competent dictator is far preferable in Eve to stuff like "councils" or, god forbid, democracy. But it is a dictatorship and some people can't adjust to that.

quote:

I'm interested in Exploration and Scouting. I got Mumble and CTS access, can TS or Discord as well. When my bro flew with Big, they had a really neat system of rewards for scouting.
The main "reward" is PVP ship reimbursement: you lose a ship from a list of approved stuff, you get handed money to buy a new one. Depending on the what's going on at the time (war or peacetime), reimbursement might be just for official war fleets or for any pvp anywhere.

Rewards are... not exactly doled out for just scouting or other routine stuff. People who do large amounts of work can have their accounts plex by the alliance, but at that level it's like you're devoting so much time to doing a space job that it's the least the org can do. That's people like GSOL (logistics) and main FCs who are constantly running ops, or spies (since having a spy means you're maintaining a second clean account just for spying).

So scouting is not really rewarded, but a good scout is important in fleets and you'll at least get props from the FC if you know what you're doing. Exploration is PVE, you're doing it for yourself.

quote:

What do you guys have that makes you better than others?
Community, and a system where people who do work get recognized. One time our euro groups were really dead because nobody was leading anything in that timezone, and a newbie guy stepped up to run fleets. He got handed control of eurosquad because he was being active.*

OTOH there's also no mandatory ops or requirements to do anything you don't want to do. If you don't feel like doing what other people are doing you can go PVE or solo in lowsec or whatever, we call it "riding bikes".

*don't take this too far though, some guys hear those stories and come up with terrible ideas and then get mad when nobody wants to follow their grand scheme

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm glad that the drama level in Provi is the same as when I started playing 6 years ago.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I currently live in Provi. The levels on un-chill from some of the vets is staggering.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

Meat_Grinder posted:

I'm interested in Exploration and Scouting. I got Mumble and CTS access, can TS or Discord as well. When my bro flew with Big, they had a really neat system of rewards for scouting. What do you guys have that makes you better than others?

Well, you are in luck as GSF have groups for both Scouting, Exploration and wormhole if you so desire. They already have or are introducing various levels of incentives.
Goonswarm is so huge that there is basically squads and groups for every part of the game that might interest you.

In short: get out of that terrible corp and get in GSF

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

nex posted:

Well, you are in luck as GSF have groups for both Scouting, Exploration and wormhole if you so desire. They already have or are introducing various levels of incentives.
Goonswarm is so huge that there is basically squads and groups for every part of the game that might interest you.

Think of your old corp as working at a rural car dealership. Joining GSF is like moving to Japan to work for Toyota.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

nex posted:

Now more than ever is a time to Join Holesquad.

Is Arkady still around? I miss that sassy man.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm not dead, just retired. Got too much on in the next 6ish months for spaceships. Trying to buy another house.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

this but with the pvp that happens when you're leveling up alongside the other faction and just waiting for them to get low from npcs so you can finish them off.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm not dead, just retired. Got too much on in the next 6ish months for spaceships. Trying to buy another house.

cool beans, say hi to the irl waifu for me

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

scandoslav posted:

cool beans, say hi to the irl waifu for me

You know I will.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I used to be in Goonfleet back when we had a tiny part of space from the Reds to live in. I've just seen it's going f2p so I'm interested in coming back. I no longer have my carrier pilot but used to love flying interceptors/interdictors and Ruptures, how long would it take under the new system to get up and running in a Rupture or Taranis or whatever?

e: just read a bit about the free aspect and realised I won't be able to fly any of the ships that I mentioned. Arse.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 14, 2016

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Lungboy posted:

I used to be in Goonfleet back when we had a tiny part of space from the Reds to live in. I've just seen it's going f2p so I'm interested in coming back. I no longer have my carrier pilot but used to love flying interceptors/interdictors and Ruptures, how long would it take under the new system to get up and running in a Rupture or Taranis or whatever?

e: just read a bit about the free aspect and realised I won't be able to fly any of the ships that I mentioned. Arse.

You can fly a rupture with a minmatar alpha clone. T2 tank with meta guns.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DARPA posted:

You can fly a rupture with a minmatar alpha clone. T2 tank with meta guns.

It seems I'm thinking of the wrong ship. Maybe the Stabber? Used to roam around in packs and were bastards in pvp.

e: Vagabond! That's the one.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lungboy posted:

It seems I'm thinking of the wrong ship. Maybe the Stabber? Used to roam around in packs and were bastards in pvp.

e: Vagabond! That's the one.

You won't be able to use a Vagabond--or any Tech II ship--with an Alpha Clone. But still, login and shoot mans with Goons! We've (back) in Delve, and Dear Leader promises a hellwar any day now. Eve still has its issues, but PVP mechanics are better than they were 5 years ago.

Fake edit: I'm just trying to put words in his mouth because dammit I want a hellwar.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Also worth mentioning that T1 ships have been substantially buffed since the old days of Scalding Pass so whilst you can't fly a Vagabond you will be able to do more with the regular cruisers than used to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks for the comments, I'll have a blast later this evening. Is Evemon still a thing? I still have one account from the old days (last logged in May 2008!) so I might be able to get a bit of a headstart.

e: it seems Evemon is still going, however I made a new API key and stuck it in Evemon but the character details are empty. Is this an Alpha clone issue?

e2: ok, my most skilled character is a Minmatar with 1.5mil sp and 27mil ISK, plus an Apotheosis and a scattering of other ships and stuff. Any ideas what to go for, or start a new char and learn it all again?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread