Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

Nothing in Overwatch uses loving wheels, good luck finding anything that doesn't have a computer on it.

Junkrat. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

RC Cola posted:

Any new skins or anything?

you can get a cool oni skin for genji if you play 15 hots matches

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What is the point of there being a single hero limit in quickplay, doesn't that just make it comp but without ranks and thus no reason to play it because comp and the other arcade thing exists

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the point is that no hero limit loving sucks

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

What is the point of there being a single hero limit in quickplay, doesn't that just make it comp but without ranks and thus no reason to play it because comp exists

Well for one thing if you want to practice unfamiliar characters it's probably good to have a mode to do so that isn't "oh by the way, I hope everyone's all right losing this comp match while I try to get my McCree eye in." For another thing quickplay is, well, quicker in that you don't wind up playing through four rounds of 2CP or best-of-five KotH.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

What is the point of there being a single hero limit in quickplay, doesn't that just make it comp but without ranks and thus no reason to play it because comp and the other arcade thing exists

Low-pressure pissing-about games which don't devolve into every other team going 6 Winstons for laughs?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what exactly is the arcade thing anyway? is it just the brawl or did they reveal a new game mode

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

you can get a cool oni skin for genji if you play 15 hots matches

I haven't played Genji all that much since the Beta but it looks like I'll be playing a bunch of HotS to get that skin because it's cool af.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what exactly is the arcade thing anyway? is it just the brawl or did they reveal a new game mode

1v1 mode, 3v3 mode, exclusive maps like the location where Mei got cryo'd.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's something new other than brawl. It has 1v1, 3v3 and I think there was something else I can't remember. Maybe it's where the no hero limited 6v6 lives.

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but they talked about the 3v3 being single life elimination, no respawns. The 1v1 is mirror heroes, randomly chosen.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 4, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tenebrais posted:

Low-pressure pissing-about games which don't devolve into every other team going 6 Winstons for laughs?

Being able to play Overwatch without making a 30 minute commitment to 11 other people?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

did we all just forget that gearbox created Battleborn, which had some of the worst loving designs ever. Sure they'll go farther than "ninja but a robot" but then they'll also tack on a ton of memes, bowties, sunglasses, and stupid t-shirts

the new character from overwatch is actually a 1 to 1 rip of a hero from Paladins, the new FPS Moba Shooter from HiRez

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

Who gives a poo poo? If that happens just leave.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kenshin posted:

yes, it does

Then its fair.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kai Tave posted:

Well for one thing if you want to practice unfamiliar characters it's probably good to have a mode to do so that isn't "oh by the way, I hope everyone's all right losing this comp match while I try to get my McCree eye in." For another thing quickplay is, well, quicker in that you don't wind up playing through four rounds of 2CP or best-of-five KotH.

Which you cannot do if someone else has already picked the character because there's a 1-character limit, my man. "Sorry, you weren't the fastest to jump to this character you're unsure about playing, so you can't play as them at all" is horseshit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I did that once, five games in a row, before coming across a game where I might plausibly play a game of Overwatch.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Which you cannot do if someone else has already picked the character because there's a 1-character limit, my man. "Sorry, you weren't the fastest to jump to this character you're unsure about playing, so you can't play as them at all" is horseshit.

If that happens, my man, just leave and find a new game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

I did that once, five games in a row, before coming across a game where I might plausibly play a game of Overwatch.

It's not that I don't believe you, because while it isn't plausible at all to get that unlucky it is certainly possible, but surely you gotta understand that you are the absolute fringe edge-case. I've fought against multiple gimmick teams in one play session too, but there are infinity games of Overwatch going on at any given time.

strong bird posted:

If that happens, my man, just leave and find a new game.

That's fair, but what bothers me about it is that it really heavily encourages jumping to a "main" before anyone else can nab them from you. If you wanna play as McCree, you have to be real quick on your hero-selecting-finger just in case someone else also wants to play as McCree. You also can't swap heroes with someone else unless you both trade off at the same time, meaning you both have to be dead or in spawn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

Which you cannot do if someone else has already picked the character because there's a 1-character limit, my man.

CJacobs posted:

I mean yeah, this is undoubtedly the reason why hero stacking was implemented in the first place, because Blizzard didn't want to tell Timmy "no, you can't play Genji because someone else already picked him," but at the end of the day I'm willing to plunk down money that more people think hero stacking is dumb than there are people who feel really strongly that hero stacking adds anything worthwhile to the game, plus it gives Blizzard a single baseline to balance characters around instead of inadvertently going "whoops, it turns out that this thing that makes a character good in comp turns into unfun bullshit when you can stack them." Maybe this'll mean that more people quit in and out of quickplay games when someone picks "their" hero but since QP has backfill this isn't really an issue.

tl;dr hero stacking sucks, good riddance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would rather have someone try to jump pick genji or whatever than have 6 of them

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
The first thing I thought of seeing Sombra: This is the third Blizzard character with a side shave haircut now. First the female Crusader got one in HotS, then Zarya, and now Sombra. Is there an artist at Blizzard that's way into alt girls or something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

EMC posted:

Sombra looks pretty awesome, her movement is actually the coolest looking thing to me - love the verticality of her teleport. For all her little abilities it looks balanced by the fact her weapon isn't overly powerful.

People are also real bad at picking what is OP or not, both Ana and Zarya were thought of as garbage tier and now both are getting nerfs

Her gun looks to be on par with Tracer's.

People had a lot less experience with the game when they said Zarya was trash. And it took buffing Ana's clip size, rate of fire, and sleep dart (and a nerf to Zen's discord) before she became the standard second healer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You people act like you fight 6-man gimmick teams every time you play overwatch. They're really not that frequent, I promise.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean yeah, this is undoubtedly the reason why hero stacking was implemented in the first place, because Blizzard didn't want to tell Timmy "no, you can't play Genji because someone else already picked him," but at the end of the day I'm willing to plunk down money that more people think hero stacking is dumb than there are people who feel really strongly that hero stacking adds anything worthwhile to the game, plus it gives Blizzard a single baseline to balance characters around instead of inadvertently going "whoops, it turns out that this thing that makes a character good in comp turns into unfun bullshit when you can stack them." Maybe this'll mean that more people quit in and out of quickplay games when someone picks "their" hero but since QP has backfill this isn't really an issue.

tl;dr hero stacking sucks, good riddance.

I just don't get why you think there should be limits at all on quickplay. The game needs something that is 100% standard and focused on fun over competition, something that isn't a gimmick gamemode that people can point at and say "this is Overwatch to people who aren't into the competitive scene". And with hero limits on quickplay it gets one very large step further away from that and closer to being rigid and competitive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

And with hero limits on quickplay it gets one very large step further away from that and closer to being rigid and competitive.

Not really

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

I just don't get why you think there should be limits at all on quickplay. The game needs something that is 100% standard and focused on fun over competition, something that isn't a gimmick gamemode that people can point at and say "this is Overwatch to people who aren't into the competitive scene". And with hero limits on quickplay it gets one very large step further away from that and closer to being rigid and competitive.

For a lot of people hero stacking isn't fun, as hard as that may be to believe. I don't think hero stacking is the poison killing Overwatch but I don't think it really adds anything to the game to be able to have double Zarya or three Tracers or six Symmetras, so I don't view its loss as something antithetical to quickplay being fun.

edit; like if you want the real difference between quickplay 1HL and comp it's that in quickplay, even with 1HL, you aren't going to have someone screaming in your ear every five seconds about how much you suck and where are my heals. Quickplay will continue to be the mode where nobody talks, nobody coordinates, and everyone fucks around, you just won't be able to do gimmick hero stacks anymore.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Compromise: Only ban hero stacking in QP if someone on the team is trying to make everyone go Hanzo or Genji.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't have to stack the same 6 heroes for it to be lame or less fun. hero stacking is worse. you may think that you'll be locked out of your hero choice in 1 hero limit all the time, but you won't. it's not even a big deal unless you only play one hero, and if you do then it forces you to branch out and maybe find you like another hero you hadn't given much of a chance before. hero limits are good

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Desfore posted:

The first thing I thought of seeing Sombra: This is the third Blizzard character with a side shave haircut now. First the female Crusader got one in HotS, then Zarya, and now Sombra. Is there an artist at Blizzard that's way into alt girls or something?

I blame Skrillex for bringing in the craze.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

you don't have to stack the same 6 heroes for it to be lame or less fun. hero stacking is worse. you may think that you'll be locked out of your hero choice in 1 hero limit all the time, but you won't. it's not even a big deal unless you only play one hero, and if you do then it forces you to branch out and maybe find you like another hero you hadn't given much of a chance before. hero limits are good

Also a lot of this is focused on the perspective of hero stacking on your own team but it's just as unfun to suddenly have to work to counter the enemy team running double Zarya or "oh okay they're all running 6 [WHATEVER] guess now we have to run a gimmick of our own."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Isn't there going to be an arcade mode that will allow hero stacking?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea double zarya is awful to deal with. on the flip side, it's just not that fun to smash the 3 genji/3 hanzo gimmick team into dust

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Hero stacking was a huge mistake and QP would be hugely improved by eliminating it.

The fact that Sombra gets wall hacks for anyone under 50% HP seems like a totally unnecessary passive.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Desfore posted:

Yes, namely, a Russian woman with pink hair

Absum
May 28, 2013

Actually fighting with or against gimmick teams of one character is good and fun and should happen more frequently.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Interesting, so if Sombra turns invisible, other Sombras can't see her, but if she's low health and goes into a room, they can see her form in the room.

I can't tell if the gun has a massive drop off of damage at long range or this guy just isn't a good aim.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm glad blizz is putting out anther character that makes playing support worse and less fun

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
lmao at anyone defending hero stacking in qp as fun or a rare event

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Alright lets break down the new girls spells and see where they stole them from wholesale.

Spell 1: The hack spell. Well folks this is just a silence. Pretty bargain basement stuff here. Cant really say they stole this spell from anywhere.

Spell 2: The cloak spell. Alright here we get into some risky territory. This is basically the item from Dota 2, Lothar's Edge. Makes you faster and deal damage on breaking cloak. Disgusting stuff.

Spell 3: The blink spell. This is Puck from Dota 2's Illusionary Orb, except it doesnt do damage. Despicable.

Spell 4: The big hack spell. This is Global Silence, Silencer's Ultimate Ability from Dota 2. Giving a character a silence is fine but when you wholesale copy Global Silence (Silencer globally silences every enemy hero on the map) then you begin to rub me the wrong way.

Spell 5: The passive spell. This is the most telling one of all, folks. This spell is 1 for 1 the spell 'Thirst', which may as well be Bloodseeker from Dota 2's signature ability. Blizzard really didn't try to hide this one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Has there been any stream footage showing if Sombra can remove a discord orb by stealthing?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

strong bird posted:

Alright lets break down the new girls spells and see where they stole them from wholesale.
words.
words..
words...

There was life before mobas, all of these skills have existed before then.

loving moba people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Streamer I'm watching owned hard on Sombra by a Mei who can aim. Luckily those don't exist at my MMR.