Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pearl does not populate the restroom because we have ceded the kitchen. But sometimes there are intruders:

https://streamable.com/0u9w
https://streamable.com/tc36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Pearl has the best warcry

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

for a bit of levity, here is one of my favorite videos that I have probably already posted here: cocktail queen Sandra Lee being a bird crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUfLbNtb0a8

I love that Sandra Lee of all people is happily sharing her experiences with her bird's poops. The mark of a true bird crazy.

Also, one of them ate an expensive dress of hers. Typical cockatoo...

Here, she's attempting her best umbrella cockatoo cosplay.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bite bitches, get scritches

D'awww

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
With the help of a friend I clipped Auri's nails for the first time since I've had her. No, I didn't let her nails go unclipped, I just always let the bird store or the vet do it...

It was an ordeal. She saw the towel coming and panic flew to the floor and then ran away, so I had to chase her down and trap her before I could towel her. Once I got her in the towel she started doing the same panicky, "oh-god-they-are-going-to-torture-me-to-death" calls which are heartbreaking to hear. so I transferred the toweled bird (I had her head mostly covered so her beak wouldn't be able to get at either of us) and my friend gently (but firmly) held her still while I gently held her feet one at a time and clipped her nails. Auri gnawed as hard as she could on the towel from the inside while "calming" down to heavy terrified breathing instead of "why are you murdering me" squawking.

8 snips and it was done and I carried the bird burrito and gently laid it on top of her cage and let her out... she hopped out, confused about where she was, and stepped up to my hand when I asked. Then I was able to drop the towel to the floor and then immediately gave her a piece of bread and another in her bowl. She went from totally freaked out to making happy sounds about the bread in seconds. :3:

Phew.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Hahahahaa, the good old "oh wow the towel released me, guess everything is normal now!" trick

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just ordered a bigger cage for the parakeet and am hopefully getting them a friend soon too!! :toot:

The one I ordered is about 3 times the size of the cage this poor bird came with and with how much he's been flapping around lately I think he'll like it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Reading some older threads and saw this posted

http://i.imgur.com/K20mTgi.webm
:allears:

edit: Although I'm hoping that would never seriously hurt a bird

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shirec posted:

those gates weigh close to nothing so I doubt it hurt the bird, but lol what a dick that conure is (pineapple? cinnamon?)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

This never fails to make me laugh

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Shirec posted:

Something about birdie betrayal just always tickles me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This never fails to make me laugh

I always imagine indignant squawking and it's great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, Yoshi just decided, apropos of nothing, to jump off of me into the sink, where he landed in a pot filled with soapy water. I managed to grab him right away, but of course then we had to scrub the dish soap off of him, and he was soaked to the point where, to his own shock, his wings didn't work. He was quite grumpy with us for awhile, and looked quite terrible for a bit, but now he merely smells a little like dish soap. Loki was always so scared of the water that I had forgotten that birds may be determined to try to drown themselves. :stare:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Well, Yoshi just decided, apropos of nothing, to jump off of me into the sink, where he landed in a pot filled with soapy water. I managed to grab him right away, but of course then we had to scrub the dish soap off of him, and he was soaked to the point where, to his own shock, his wings didn't work. He was quite grumpy with us for awhile, and looked quite terrible for a bit, but now he merely smells a little like dish soap. Loki was always so scared of the water that I had forgotten that birds may be determined to try to drown themselves. :stare:

if it makes you feel better my idiot bird fell in a pee toilet and he's a-ok

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

subpar anachronism posted:

if it makes you feel better my idiot bird fell in a pee toilet and he's a-ok

That one I have been very careful about, but it helps that his best friend, Yoshi in the Mirror, is there to distract him. He seems okay, although I think it may have made him a bit itchy, because he's preening a lot and he actually let us give him scritches.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I found this in PYF.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

This I also found in PYF. Wanna pet that happy dinosaur... what a cutie. :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

This I also found in PYF. Wanna pet that happy dinosaur... what a cutie. :kimchi:

that greater vasse parrot blog is the loving best

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Now that it's almost 3 AM and I'm done running around for the day, I can finally post a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLvLrc7HfgE

Nobody ever believes me when I say Beato is an indignant honker.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

little_firebird posted:

Now that it's almost 3 AM and I'm done running around for the day, I can finally post a thing.

When you first poked and there was a squeaky little BEEP I was so confused, then the actual honk came :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Made Mochi his first checkup appointment and for a good wing and nail trim. How can I minimize stress for him during the trip?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Made Mochi his first checkup appointment and for a good wing and nail trim. How can I minimize stress for him during the trip?

Not sure if it helps in your situation, but when I took Cricket in for her first vet visit, I brought snacks and her favorite foot toys. I also made sure she had a favorite toy in her travel cage also.

She seemed to do well...then again, as long as she can stuff her beak she tends to be ok.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

little_firebird posted:

What's it like owning pigeons/doves? I've always been super curious because a lot of the information I've seen is conflicting (ie "they're super timid" on one page and "they tolerate people and hand tame well" on another).
Also wow they're really cute! :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I have one bird that gets car sick so he gets a sheet over his travel cage. The other gets anxious about not being up in my grill and she gets the passenger seat with a perch close to me, to reduce the chance of Nanday screams.

So watch Mochi and adjust accordingly. Murmur soothingly during the drive and narrate what you are doing as you pack him in.

I've had very good drives every time doing that, I wish you luck!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

birds: worse than cats?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yes. I recently had to replace my wireless htpc keyboard because Garrus ripped off most of the keys and chewed on the scissor switches so that I couldn't fix them.

So far the Logitech K400 Plus has been cockatiel-proof.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The washable Logitech keyboard should be standard issue for a bird owner.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I have a fancy Unicomp keyboard with buckling springs. Something tells me that it and a bird would not get along.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inglonias posted:

I have a fancy Unicomp keyboard with buckling springs. Something tells me that it and a bird would not get along.

I have a Unicomp too. My birbs are mostly just annoyed by it when they're trying to sleep.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I have a stockpile of cheap silicone keyboard protectors mostly to prevent against Steve dander from getting in between the laptop keys. Thankfully none of them have ever shown interest in removing anything or hanging out on any keyboard of any kind

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Tofu Terry posted:

What's it like owning pigeons/doves? I've always been super curious because a lot of the information I've seen is conflicting (ie "they're super timid" on one page and "they tolerate people and hand tame well" on another).
Also wow they're really cute! :3:

Although I joke about my doves being dumb, it really does depend on the bird.

Smokey doesn't like me at first and will always spend 5+ minutes making me chase him around my apartment and, since I have yet to get a bird-catching net, I usually have to be a little bit handsy in catching him. Really the only time he'll sit on my hand is if I take him to the bathroom.

Those feathers are messy due to me catching him. He is also a very indignant honker.

He's also an older bird, and from a rescue where as much as the owners try, there's just too many birds demanding their attention. Poor guy was injured some nebulous time before I got him and I have no idea what the circumstances were.

In short, yeah I can hand-tame him with enough time and millet patience and small rooms, but for right now, he pretty much hates and wants nothing to do with me.

Velcro and Beato are in a tricksy mood right now because they HAVE A NEST AND MUST PROTECT IT. I also picked them up at a young age (3-4 months I guess? Old enough and fully weaned to be sold in a store) so besides their breeders, I'll have the most impact on them

Beato will always fluff up at me to begin with because I am a Terrible Person and Poke At Her, but she'll sit on my hand in larger rooms. She'll usually buzz the room once before accepting that I am not going to do Bad Things.

So Beato is partially hand-tame, but is also in Nesting Mode so she's more standoffish than she usually is.

Velcro is the one that likes me the bestest. He isn't gcc-grade snuggly with me, but he usually buzzes a room to get to a higher vantage point.

No, buddy, the phone isn't going to hurt you!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

I have a stockpile of cheap silicone keyboard protectors mostly to prevent against Steve dander from getting in between the laptop keys. Thankfully none of them have ever shown interest in removing anything or hanging out on any keyboard of any kind

My cockatiels are all obsessed with keyboards. Though Archer and Anaïs don't have the desire to destroy them like Ellie (:smith:) did.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I really am lucky...Cricket has not, as of yet, discovered the keyboard since it is an under-desk pullout one.

She has, though, found that my wireless mouse is fascinating and very possibly quite yummy. She gives me a very sneaky look as she sidles over and with beak open, stops and looks at me before attempting to mess with the side buttons.

I will have to remember to not let her read this thread with me so she wont get any naughty conure ideas from her role models/ mentors.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently I played ye olde Cockatoo Screaming into a Cup too many times, because Yoshi has decided that standing on the short divider between the living room and dining room and screaming into the dining room, where it echoes, is a super-fun game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have no idea if this behavior is Pion playing for enjoyment, or acting out anger of not getting out and chewing on everything in the living room. But I do think he's doing it part for attention at least. But basically just running around on the cage floor and throwing jingle balls into the air, also flapping wings and "screams" (that are not actually loud).

If I try to film it, he sees he's getting attention so he stops doing it.

This, but he's scaled up the aggressiveness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92c3AeKZulk

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i protect my keyboard from cockatoos by not letting them through the window

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Disco Salmon posted:

She has, though, found that my wireless mouse is fascinating and very possibly quite yummy. She gives me a very sneaky look as she sidles over and with beak open, stops and looks at me before attempting to mess with the side buttons.

Taco is a shocker for this, walking up to my mouse sideways and eyeing me, as if I can't work out what she is doing...if I look away for a second she goes straight for the cable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Set up a camera again... this time on a normal streaming service.

Watch my :derptiel:s hop around, live! (no sound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They are being fluffi birds