Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/794662037465038853

And another (third today?) Georgia poll "too close to call", 48-46 for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Apraxin posted:

Why settle for locking up Crooked Hillary? Surely the Corrupt Media should also face justice for their many crimes against America:
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/794660103521783809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

If only there were a rule to ensure that there were fairness in the media...

They could even make it into a doctrine, if you will.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

So, wait, when Trump was talking about Clinton's scandal being worse than Watergate, was he projecting his own bugging operation?

What I find is kinda strange is that people don't seem to be noticing the parallels between the e-mail hacking and Watergate.
Nixon had people break-in and bug the DNC to access private conversations.
Trump encouraged the Russians to the electronic equivalent, and has repeatedly promoted the results of their work.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sorry, I just read 'bugged office' and immediately assumed the most funny thing.

not that i believe it at all but it would have roger stone's calling card on it if anyone

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bhaal posted:

I'm sure when I'm in my 60s i'll have younger people bugging their eyes out at me when I insist on writing something on ~a keyboard~ instead of just installing a brain dictation app into my cortex interface or whatever

Not me. Cyborg me the gently caress up, doc, I need to download and install vodka.exe and get this party started!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

stone cold posted:

Wait, is it Trump who bugged them or FBI? I thought it was FBI....

At this point, what difference does it make. :v:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

OddObserver posted:

What I find is kinda strange is that people don't seem to be noticing the parallels between the e-mail hacking and Watergate.
Trump encouraged the Russians to the electronic equivalent, and has repeatedly promoted the results of their work.

as someone who doesn't really know anything about watergate, was the stuff they found ever released out to the media or was the break-in the first attempt?

it's beyond disgustingly irresponsible that the media reports it all as juicy gossip without saying anything about the source other than calling it "leaked emails" (which is also a terrible term seeing as how that's not what leaking means) and i have no idea if there's any precedent for it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I've got a question for the thread on the extent of Robert Byrd's involvement in kkk/white supremacy.

he was a kkk chapter leader in his youth at the beginning of his political career but over time came to renounce those views. your friend is ignorant and/or a liar

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

boner confessor posted:

he was a kkk chapter leader in his youth at the beginning of his political career but over time came to renounce those views. your friend is ignorant and/or a liar
it's rare, but there are some people who realize they've been a throughbred piece of poo poo and have actual remorse over it

though it's kind of hard to see as genuine considering sociopathy is a virtue to many, many people

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MJ12 posted:

Basically, the Second Amendment has three competing interpretations.

Thanks! That's the best explanation I've ever seen of the issue.

With option 1 I'm imagining independent state armies, where the president needs to get a deal with every state to go to war, like the way European countries go to war.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone I know is asking "You think Trump might win" and every time I hear it I just want to scream. And they don't even seem to be worried while I keep fearing for the future of humanity and of my personal safety. I want off this wild ride.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Who What Now posted:

Not me. Cyborg me the gently caress up, doc, I need to download and install vodka.exe and get this party started!

Oh, grandpa! Vodka was slipstreamed from the Global Booze subcarrier as soon as you were within proximity of the party! Just flick your eyes up or down to select from among the 9,000 varieties. Be advised that your Basic Citizen rights do not cover automatic hangover suppression.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's rare, but there are some people who realize they've been a throughbred piece of poo poo and have actual remorse over it

though it's kind of hard to see as genuine considering sociopathy is a virtue to many, many people

sure, but a sociopath who learns to go with the flow of society and say racism is bad even if they don't really believe it is better than a staunch, unreformed, honest racist

he always was a rural white dude from the south who had regressive attitudes but at least by the end of his life he was able to say the correct things

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

MJ12 posted:

Basically, the Second Amendment has three competing interpretations.

The first one is the federalist interpretation-the Second Amendment exists so the federal government can't just tell a state that it can't have its own armed forces, and thus it guaranteed the right to "keep and bear arms"-which meant the right to possess, and use, military armaments for military purposes. This is the one which is most commonly advanced by legal historians.

The second is the collective/"well-regulated" interpretation-the Second Amendment guarantees some form of individual access to arms, but is not a guarantee that you are allowed any sort of weapon for any purpose, and comes with an explicit allowance for the government to restrict said. This is basically the compromise one which comes up a lot in Democrat talk.

The third one is the conservative interpretation-the Second Amendment gives a right to own guns with minimal oversight and government interference, kind of like the interpretation of the first amendment. This is a very recent interpretation-you literally cannot find any published 2A legal analysis which supports this interpretation until the 1960s.

A liberal Supreme Court could technically go back to the Supreme Court's prior legal decisions and reinstate the federalist interpretation, which would make the 2A literally worthless, because under the federalist interpretation California could decide tomorrow "every single gun is banned forever" and that would be perfectly valid. They could also in the alternative decide that the Second Amendment isn't incorporated-that is to say, it only affects the federal government, not the states. Again, in that interpretation Cali could ban all guns forever and it would be valid.

So basically, it's not abolishing the Second Amendment. It's overturning cases which enshrine a specific interpretation of the Second Amendment. And this isn't even something Clinton has promised-it's something that the justices she appoints could do, if they wanted to enough.

This is the kind of post I come to these threads to read. Thank you.

It appears I'm just being inundated with commentary from low information voters and outright idiots.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, to you I mostly wanted to say that I don't mean to say it's not a bumpy road. We had Nazi rule, WW2 and the holocaust just in the last century. Only the long-term trend is good, not all short-term trends.

Reading any cohesive systemic trend at all into the vast set of unique circumstances and developments, random happenstance, tragedy, farce, etc. that comprise history is the main fallacy being attacked, yes. 'Progress' is a short-term trend; it was invented by Euros fellating themselves in the Enlightenment.

Don't take this as me denying that vast advances have been made in the material prosperity of the top half of the global population, or that the codification of human rights into international politics mores, or feminism, or electricity, or whatever else exist and benefit people, that's not under contention. It's believing that they happened as part of some grand inexorable sweep of the historical sundial from BAD to GOOD. All that poo poo took work; all that poo poo continues to take work; and it's literally only going to last as long as dominant political forces a) value universal human rights, human welfare and freedoms etc. as goods and b) can deliver, which as recent times have shown is by no means unassailable or irreversible.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Cingulate posted:

posts about stuff
The long term trends are good for metrics like life expectancy and average wealth because technology as a trend increases.
This has literally nothing to do with societal views on minorities, or religious affiliation. The modern USA is more religious than when it was founded. Even within the past twenty years there have been large and noticeable swings in both directions regarding attitudes towards minority rights. The early 2000's had a massive downswing, and hostility towards homosexuals was the most influential and successful plank of the 2004 elections. This whole "inevitability of social progress" garbage is what tricks homosexuals into voting for republicans, and it's an incredibly toxic and self-defeating narrative. You find it in labor rights too. "Oh we don't need unions anymore because these days we just don't treat workers as bad as we used to fart fart fart fart." It's garbage.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CelestialScribe has not posted in a month.

did he die

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

RZA Encryption posted:

did he die

Probated

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I want off this wild ride.

Don't Forget You're Here Forever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RZA Encryption posted:

did he die
I thought he ate a 30 day stint in Cat Jail for threadshitting

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

isk posted:

Probated

Did he ever toxx?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

isk posted:

Probated

A fate worse than death.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I've got a question for the thread on the extent of Robert Byrd's involvement in kkk/white supremacy.

I was talking with a group of friends yesterday about American racism, particularly Duke's support in Louisiana. An anti Hillary friend brought up her relationship with Byrd and claimed he was the longest serving kkk/WS senator and then went on to claim he was a/the national kkk/WS leader for decades. When I got home, I read wiki/snopes on him and learned a little about his past history (mostly 30-50s) with the movement and his later 100% approval by the NAACP for his support of voter right act & civil rights act. I also saw a bunch of briebart articles on the subject but refuse to give views to that trash can . I'm curios to what extent this dude was a shitbyrd and to what capacity he changed. Was he just a complex dude who tried to atone for his past racism poo poo or was he a racist who put politics before his own personal lovely beliefs?

IIRC the short version is he was poo poo when he was younger, realized he was being awful and spent years/decades working to make amends and help minorities. The NAACP doesn't give high marks to ex-klansmen just because they're Democrats, which is probably what your friend is going to keep arguing they did.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Agrajag posted:

They're also dumb since guns were never taken away once in the 8 years of Obama.

Well obviously it's because they wouldn't let Obama have their guns.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd be extremely impressed if Trump was competent enough to actually bug the DNC (or whatever it is)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

blue squares posted:

I'd be extremely impressed if Trump was competent enough to actually bug the DNC (or whatever it is)
Why would he need to? Law enforcement might be willing enough to do it to help him out.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

Did he ever toxx?

None of these clowns ever toxx, then they'd have to ask their mom for :10bux:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Surprising no one, Christie's off the trail for Trump:

https://twitter.com/steinhauserNH1/status/794665602707259392

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

Everyone I know is asking "You think Trump might win" and every time I hear it I just want to scream. And they don't even seem to be worried while I keep fearing for the future of humanity and of my personal safety. I want off this wild ride.

2012 was a closer race at this point in time, Clinton's lead over Trump has been more consistent than Obama's over Romney.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

isk posted:

Probated
He's actually off probation tomorrow!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=130818

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

+1 for Killary in Iowa. I'm super excited to have my vote cancelled out by some hick in the western part of the state that thinks Steve King isn't racist enough.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

None of these clowns ever toxx, then they'd have to ask their mom for :10bux:

i toxxed for trump but it was an accident

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh wonderful. Do you think he'll come make a tearful post about how Trump is beating her and we just don't see the inevitability of a Trump presidency?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is great

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/01/opinion/voting-suppression-videogame.html

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

gently caress, it's gonna be like Flag Boy, huh?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aBagorn posted:

She takes her tea with milk. Clearly she intends to destroy the constitution and Declariation of Independence and bring back British rule

God save the Queen if she had to become your head of state at her age

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

boner confessor posted:

I figure he's a liar. He's a veteran and retired pilot who believes hrc is directly responsible Ben Q Ghazi because we should have sent some F-whatever's to buzz the compound and that would have saved everyone despite the fact the known positions of all our fleet/aircraft would have put such a movement in the time frame of several hours.

Thanks yo

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Reading any cohesive systemic trend at all into the vast set of unique circumstances and developments, random happenstance, tragedy, farce, etc. that comprise history is the main fallacy being attacked, yes. 'Progress' is a short-term trend; it was invented by Euros fellating themselves in the Enlightenment.

Don't take this as me denying that vast advances have been made in the material prosperity of the top half of the global population, or that the codification of human rights into international politics mores, or feminism, or electricity, or whatever else exist and benefit people, that's not under contention. It's believing that they happened as part of some grand inexorable sweep of the historical sundial from BAD to GOOD. All that poo poo took work; all that poo poo continues to take work; and it's literally only going to last as long as dominant political forces a) value universal human rights, human welfare and freedoms etc. as goods and b) can deliver, which as recent times have shown is by no means unassailable or irreversible.

Schizotek posted:

The long term trends are good for metrics like life expectancy and average wealth because technology as a trend increases.
This has literally nothing to do with societal views on minorities, or religious affiliation. The modern USA is more religious than when it was founded. Even within the past twenty years there have been large and noticeable swings in both directions regarding attitudes towards minority rights. The early 2000's had a massive downswing, and hostility towards homosexuals was the most influential and successful plank of the 2004 elections. This whole "inevitability of social progress" garbage is what tricks homosexuals into voting for republicans, and it's an incredibly toxic and self-defeating narrative. You find it in labor rights too. "Oh we don't need unions anymore because these days we just don't treat workers as bad as we used to fart fart fart fart." It's garbage.
Well, as I said:

Cingulate posted:

Of course. Nothing about this is inherent, for free, or guaranteed. And of course not enough, either.

But are you saying that this is where the moral outrage (don't mean to use the term to belittle anyone, it's just the best words I can think of) comes from - that if I had said the above more, and earlier, it would have not been as controversial, morally speaking?

I'm not wondering about people who think I'm empirically wrong, but about those who think I'm stating something morally abhorrent.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Apraxin posted:

Why settle for locking up Crooked Hillary? Surely the Corrupt Media should also face justice for their many crimes against America:
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/794660103521783809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Unironically, by in large, the press has been absolutely derelict of duty this season. There has been some very good reporting this season but sensationalist headlines and a the overwhelming focus on Trump's spectacle over substance and facts has horrifying consequences. Trump's politifact rating is in the toilet vs Hillary's objectively decent rating however the recent ABC tracking poll has voter trustworthiness scale at 46:38 in favor of Trump.

Obviously a republican congressional investigation into the "corrupt media" won't be held in good faith but it still pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

OddObserver posted:

If Trump was a sitting president like Nixon was, and we weren't already in a bombed out fascist wasteland that Trump promises, I think people would care more. However, he doesn't have the power yet so people (on his side) ignore the parallels.
Nixon didn't personally request it, if I'm not mistaken, but his lackeys did do it which is why he fell from it. Trump's team didn't actually perpetrate the act he just capitalized on it. However, I feel what Trump did following was worse than Watergate since he told the perpetrators "Yo, My Russian Comrades! How bout you do that again and grab me more dirt!" If Trump was a normal candidate he'd be sunk for that, but Trump has no decency and runs a cult rather than a campaign.

Supporters I've talked to respond with "It's not Trump's fault so it's not equivalent!" These people want power and will break whatever laws they want to get it; booby trapped election signs, occupying federal buildings, voter fraud, and so on. They are committed to partisanship to such an extent that laws are secondary and only important when the otherside breaks them. Why would they give a poo poo about outside groups committing crimes against their opponents?

• Locked thread