Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can understand where they're coming from though. Some of them probably fear being a controlling partner and don't really know where to draw the line, especially with someone they care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You know how kids used to ask why they need to learn basic arithmetic when everyone has a calculator nowadays?

Well, why do I need basic social skills and emotional intelligence when I can outsource it to the internet?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

P-Mack posted:

You know how kids used to ask why they need to learn basic arithmetic when everyone has a calculator nowadays?

Well, why do I need basic social skills and emotional intelligence when I can outsource it to the internet?

The singularity will occur when each of us is able to query the Internet via brain implants and decide every action via universal consensus

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Twitch plays my relationship.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

loquacius posted:

The singularity will occur when each of us is able to query the Internet via brain implants and decide every action via universal consensus

Like the Borg, a Cucklective if you will.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This is an amazing thread, thx op.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tolkien minority posted:

what the gently caress is the point of a "casual, open romantically but not sexually" relationship with someone who refuses to have sex
isn't that essentially exactly the same as being good friends with someone except they don't let you bone anyone

I know it's been touched on but this little tidbit

quote:

My partner and I are in a kinda open, casual relationship which we know is temporary.

makes everything extra stupid. Guessing she's attached, hoping it's more than temporary and he was probably thinking he could change her mind. Dumb however you look at it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Where can I find this thing that will let me laugh at shmorky more?

probably on his tumblr because he is the one who actually uploaded it for everyone to see, but it's likely deleted by now

it owned, like an hour of a delusional crazy lady ranting about Jews and calling lowtax a drunk child molester all while Shmork squeeks along in the background egging her on with his stupid loving cartoon voice that he speaks in forever because that's apparently his real voice now

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
There's one on the front page of the sub now that I'm not going to copy and paste because I don't want a digital record of being involved discussing it, but it's :stare: as gently caress

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

There's one on the front page of the sub now that I'm not going to copy and paste because I don't want a digital record of being involved discussing it, but it's :stare: as gently caress

Is that the "I might have raped someone but I'm not sure"?

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Me [34 F] with my boyfriend [33 M] of 1.5 years, we split rent/costs on income, but he makes a lot more than he claimed

quote:

Hi, I'm using fake names, changing some details, etc.

So my boyfriend and I got an apartment together about 4 months ago. We talked about splitting things by salary, but we agreed to just split things 33%/67%, because we didn't want to deal with recalculating if we got raises, and because his income is complicated because he gets bonuses, and he makes some money off of some land he inherited that he rents out to a rancher. I make $45k, and he told me he made "about $85k."

We chose a place in sort of a sketchy part of town away from downtown, because rent in our city isn't cheap, and he didn't want to spend too much. My car actually got broken into. Other than that it hasn't been bad though, I've been able to save some money because we're talking about getting engaged and I wanted to save for my share of the wedding.

He's a lawyer, but he doesn't meet any of the rich lawyer stereotypes, like he doesn't wear nice suits or have a nice car or anything like that (he doesn't even wear a suit most days, and his car is a compact sedan, it's pretty new but it's not fancy at all), he's got a rural accent (but he's really smart and well-read), etc. He mentioned some big company clients, but he mostly talked about small clients, like tiny businesses and stores. I don't think he really likes it, but he does work really hard though.

I actually ran into my old roommate's husband two days ago, and I asked him how she was, and we talked some. He asked me where my boyfriend works and I told him the name of the firm, and he jokingly asked why we weren't living in the rich part of town.

I looked it up online, and apparently my boyfriend's firm is actually really big, it's just that their office in this city is kind of small (it has offices in several other cities too). Like, it's REALLY big. He's been there for about 2 years (he was at another huge firm before that), and apparently everyone but the owners makes the same amount based on how long they've been an attorney (plus a bonus). I found a website that said based on his experience, the firm pays a total of around a THIRD OF A MILLION.

So last night I asked him again how much he earns. He said it was around the same as last time I asked, so I asked how much. He said "well taxable it's about $85k" and said that his land made it complicated (he did NOT say taxable last time). I asked again how much his actual salary and bonus were. He got sort of mad but he told me the truth, the website I found was exactly right (he makes $260k, and he expects to make a bonus of around 20% this year). Apparently most of his clients are actually really big companies who pay his firm OVER FIVE HUNDRED AN HOUR for his time, but he does free work for small businesses sometimes if they can't afford a lawyer, and that's what he talks about.

His land isn't actually some secret oilfield though or giant cattle empire, it's just about 20 acres of hay, so I guess at least he was honest about that?

So apparently he set up some charity that he controls, and that's where most of his money goes. The charity holds the money, and then he can distribute it to other charities. Like, he gives $1k PER MONTH to the local animal shelter, and $2k per month to another charity that gets innocent people out of prison with DNA evidence, he gives to the 4-H from his home town, and a bunch of other charities. He had mentioned that he was donating to a charity in the past (I swear to god his words were "a bit"), but I didn't know how much it was.

So I'm conflicted. I like charity, and I like how compassionate he is (he's a gentle giant type) but we basically agreed on splitting things by salary, and so based on that I'm paying 2-3x as much as I should, because he's spending that money on endangered swamp birds or whatever. He was apparently using "taxable" income, but he used that on purpose knowing that it was misleading and would make me pay a bigger share. He did NOT say it was taxable income the first time I asked him before we moved in. So we're living in a sketchy neighborhood, my car is getting broken into, I've been stressed about saving so we could have a decent wedding, and he's basically been lying to me. Also we talked about how when we do get married/engaged, we're going to combine our finances and savings. I feel like I should have at least KNOWN where our money is going to be going.

I told him this, and now he's mad at ME. He says at long as he pays most of the expenses, I shouldn't complain.

Is it ridiculous for me to ask that we split things based on actual income and move somewhere nicer? Even after donating to charity and covering his "share" of expenses, he still has money left that he spends on stupid things, so he probably wouldn't have to cut back on charity too much (maybe at all?).

TL;DR: my boyfriend and I split costs on what I thought was our salary, but really he makes WAY more than he told me, and he's been donating the rest. I like that he's charitable, but I feel like it was dishonest, and I wouldn't have agreed to pay so much if I knew how much he made.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Is that the "I might have raped someone but I'm not sure"?

yup

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Agentdark posted:

Me [34 F] with my boyfriend [33 M] of 1.5 years, we split rent/costs on income, but he makes a lot more than he claimed

jeeze
"my lawyer boyfriend who donates shitloads to charity and pays the majority of our expenses should be buying me more poo poo and not helping innocent people and animals"

what a bitch

edit: lmao top comment/almost every upvoted comment is making GBS threads on the boyfriend

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 4, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cripes poor guy, subject of a Reddit post

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Agentdark posted:

Wow this woman is awful.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Jesus christ, that one is hosed up.

edit: the "raped someone" post, I mean.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Strep Vote posted:

Jesus christ, that one is hosed up.

edit: the "raped someone" post, I mean.

Yeah seriously, that whole thing is legit crazy

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Too hosed up for this thread? That's the worst endorsement ever.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

So he donates money to animal shelters and projects that get innocent people out of prison, and she refers to that as 'saving the swamp birds or whatever'?

Jesus. What a bitch.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Too hosed up for this thread? That's the worst endorsement ever.

GEEZ FINE

Me (28M) I think I had sex without permission with a girl (23F) last week

quote:

This girl is my ex. We speak every single day, almost.

On the phone, she always talks about how she wants sex badly, not necessarily with me. She regularly indicates phone sex. I don't do anything, I just let her have her moment.

We barely have hung out alone in the 1.5 years we have not been together. Twice in fact. One of these times, last week, we had sex. She was depressed. The whole time I was there, she was talking about how she misses sex and how she hasn't had it for a month. She was depressed. Like, general depressed, not because of the sex.

While I was there, she just seemed to be a shell. Like...an empty shell. She perked up every so often, but the rest of the time, she was just a shell.

After about 2 hours of me being there, she 'relaxed' on the sofa. She then flipped around and got into a position on 'all fours' and continued to talk to me. After 2 hours of doing that, she pulled her trousers down and I am like "wtf". 5 minutes later, she said "You can touch me if you want"

Now, in my mind, she wanted it. I fingered her a little. She then said "you can have sex with me...if you want"

About 5 minutes into sex, it was clear she was not into it. Like REALLY clear. I stopped. The damage had been done.

It turns out later the "if you want" thing was because she didn't really want sex with me. She just wanted to feel bad about herself and violated. To her, having sex with me was akin to her cutting herself. It would cause her pain.

She still talks to me, but she blames me for having sex with her because I should have noticed she wasn't into it.

I feel loving terrible. I feel like I had sex without permission with her. What should I do? Should I report myself to the police so she doesn't file a report? I have no indications she will, but still.

TL;DR: I had sex without permission with a girl. What do I do?

Note: I had to remove the R word and use "sex without permission" instead, otherwise the thread does not appear in this sub. I don't really have time to wait around for it to be approved

I don't even know what to think about this one.

edit: except that both of those people are probably on some insane drugs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Strep Vote posted:

I don't even know what to think about this one.

I mean, he totally did not rape her, she gave clear consent. Now we can get into a whole thing of "More Dan Savage than thou" about enthusiastic consent or whatnot, but he did nothing legally wrong.

She seems very troubled.

I really hope he doesn't go and turn himself in to the police for this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He didn't do anything wrong. She was being confusing as hell, and if anything it seems like he was trying to accommodate. He stopped once he figured out what the hell it was she was doing.

e: on her hands and knees for 2 hours?!

ee: did she turn around and present her rear end in a guy's face while continuing a conversation for two loving hours?

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bubblyblubber posted:

I know we are all supposed to be jaded people here, dead inside to any trace of human feelings other than snarky amusement, god is dead and the universe doesn't care and etc.

But god drat, my stomach churned a little bit reading that. The "She just looked at me and said hey as she walked to the bathroom" at the end straight up murdered me.

How do you even begin to unfuck yourself after loving yourself over so thoroughly?

The relationship was ruined the moment he thought a lesbian was in to him

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They must live in like New York or LA or something because together they should be able to afford an apartment in a decent part of time.

Or maybe she's lying about the sketchiness of the area.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
two hours

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If she had tried any harder to have sex with that reluctant as all hell man than she would have raped him. She told him that she did it because she wanted to feel bad, but it seems more like she did it because she wanted him to feel bad so she could weaponize his guilt against him.

As to literal dream man lawyer bro, he was right to lie about his income seeing as her response to finding out about it is to become indignant she isn't benefiting from it more and they aren't living a shallower lifestyle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Strep Vote posted:

Me (28M) I think I had sex without permission with a girl (23F) last week

If we take the story at face value the dude is not a rapist. But I'm gonna say that we've got a very likely case of unreliable/confused narrator here so who really knows because hot drat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's difficult to imagine 2 hours of converasation that scrupulously avoids inquiring about the rear end arrayed doggy style in one's direction. More difficult still to imagine that conversation maintaining course from minute 120 to 125 with pants and trousers around the ol' knee bones.

Guy must have cats.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If the guy confused by the girl masturbating in the tent next to him is believable than I can believe it took this guy two hours to come to terms with his sadsack ex throwing herself at him in person, after constantly saying she wanted sex over the phone.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's difficult to imagine 2 hours of converasation that scrupulously avoids inquiring about the rear end arrayed doggy style in one's direction. More difficult still to imagine that conversation maintaining course from minute 120 to 125 with pants and trousers around the ol' knee bones.

Guy must have cats.

That's why I have to assume they are both hosed up on meth or something, because the fact that he didn't gtfo at that point means he's completely out of his gourd.

Moon Atari posted:

If the guy confused by the girl masturbating in the tent next to him is believable than I can believe it took this guy two hours to come to terms with his sadsack ex throwing herself at him in person, after constantly saying she wanted sex over the phone.

:10bux: says he's her dealer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Moon Atari posted:

I really hope unhappy camper was able to read some of the replies shaking him by the proverbial shoulders before the trip was over.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Two hours of presenting like a mandrill :lol:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Gaunab posted:

Or maybe she's lying about the sketchiness of the area.

Or she's super sheltered like this one girl I know who flew into Chicago and was flabbergasted at all the black people there and felt uncomfortable.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

two hours

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

kuddles posted:

I feel like if it's been 1.5 years, you really need to get over yourself using the bathroom with your partner nearby. It's like passing gas, of course you'll do everything to hide it when you start dating because you're in that weird mindset of trying to present an idealized version of yourself, but at a certain point you need to drop the illusion.

I believe it was George Carlin who said that if you can't fart around someone you shouldn't have sex with them. I think the same could be said in regards to pooping and peeing. It's quite curious how someone can be so ashamed of their body's natural functions that they avoid farting/pooping/peeing while sharing space with a partner but are somehow totally cool with getting naked with them. I guess it's probably some hosed up distinction thing.

WampaLord posted:

My [17M] broke into my own house after sneaking out. My step brother thought I was a intruder. He gave me a black eye and broke my jaw. My parents are treating him like a hero

All of the comments are saying step brother did the right thing.

I don't know, I've always been told that attacking a home invader is stupid because they might be armed and could seriously injure or kill you. Even though this dude's step brother is well trained if it had been a real home invader it might have gone much more poorly.

Still, I guess in this situation it worked out okay. I mean, excluding the fact that the guy got the poo poo kicked out of him and his family celebrated it (hosed up.)

kuddles posted:

It's always amazing to see someone who manages to override any notion of common sense because of a sexual fantasy playing out in their head, especially when they are in their loving mid-thirties. Like, that's an immense amount of emotional immaturity and cognitive dissonance.

- Assuming a woman you work with and don't know personally who is nice and friendly secretly wants you.
- Then going further and assuming that not only does she want you, she wants you in the context of being your sexual sidepiece, not your girlfriend.
- Then being so certain of this, you are willing to harass your current girlfriend into accepting this arrangement.

Her turning out to be a lesbian is the best thing at the end of the story.

Okay, why don't any of these idiots ever bother to talk to these women they are obsessing over and get to know them? A lot of these tragic self-owning scenarios could have been wholly avoided had they just taken the time to get to know their obsession as a person instead of just building and acting out on a fantasy.

How can they honestly believe a woman who hardly knows them is just going to jump into bed with them? I have to agree that it is just super emotionally immature. The level of cognitive dissonance is just flooring.

Tender Bender posted:

This is the piece that gets overlooked the most. Even putting aside the can of worms that is personal feelings on monogamy, most people you meet in your daily life are not onboard with that! Even assuming the girl is actually into you why the gently caress would she want to be the trial run side piece in your open relationship. Like I'm just imagining some cute bubbly girl being approached by the overweight mid-30s programmer in her office as he proceeds to pitch the great opportunity to gently caress him a couple times with the glowing endorsement of his girlfriend.

From what I understand this is not how polygamy/open relationships should work. These kinds of situations apparently have a higher success rate when each partner is largely treated equally with each other partner.

But that is just what I have heard/read and I have no idea how it really works.

Agentdark posted:

Nowhere in this complaint am I reading that she is struggling to pay bills or suffering any kind of financial hardship. I mean, I think it's great that they broke down the expenses and financial obligations based on how much they could afford and it sucks that he makes more than he claimed and thus should technically be paying more but he's already paying for more than half of everything and she isn't hurting financially and can afford what she is paying so I think this is kind of silly?

From what I understand bonuses and the kind of huge pay outs he's getting can change from year to year based on company performance and client load and other poo poo. So he probably didn't lie to her so much as estimate his income based on a median or worst-case situation so that if he had a few bad years he could still cover expenses and make ends meet. Budgeting off variable or unreliable sources of income just seems incredibly foolish.

Sometimes I'm a terrible socialist.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

On the one hand hiding the fact that you are donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity, from someone you are marrying, is kind of a big deal.

On the other hand responding to that with "you should just spend it on me instead, also 1/3 of our expenses is too much, I should be spending 1/10" is hilarious. Dump her and find a nice girl who's a good person.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Tender Bender posted:

On the one hand hiding the fact that you are donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity, from someone you are marrying, is kind of a big deal.

Is there any chance he lied about it because he knew she'd want it for herself?

:sever: either way

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tender Bender posted:

On the other hand responding to that with "you should just spend it on me instead, also 1/3 of our expenses is too much, I should be spending 1/10" is hilarious. Dump her and find a nice girl who's a good person.

I read part of it as, "Since you make so much more than I thought, how about we move to an area where I don't feel unsafe?"

But the bs about swamp birds? Maybe she's the bitch with that $10000 ring.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tender Bender posted:

They're not getting married. She wants to, obviously, but they're not engaged.

If they don't break up beforehand, the wedding planning will definitely ruin them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Agentdark posted:

This must have gotten deleted because I can't find it. Her boyfriend shouldn't have lied to her, but I think he did it to avoid facing the truth that his girlfriend is an awful money-grubbing selfish bitch. I mean usually when someone is narrating an event from their point of view they consciously or unconsciously try to make themselves look as good as possible, and she still comes across as shallow and insufferable. Instead of being grateful for the huge amount of costs he's already covering, she acts like he's a meal ticket who has been holding out on him.