Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

NewForumSoftware posted:

https://www.osha.gov/dep/fatcat/fy15_federal-state_summaries.pdf you could prolly do some good research, get some dope news stories + videos with a list like this

Wow, just that first page of 14 fatalities and two of them were shot by coworkers. AMERICA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Neutrino posted:

Wow, just that first page of 14 fatalities and two of them were shot by coworkers. AMERICA!

Personally I feel bad for "Saul (no last name provided)", crushed by machinery to never be heard from again

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That last one, getting pulled into machinery via rollers.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: Never Click the LiveLeak Links

"Everyone come over and lift this 10,000 lb forklift off of her by hand!"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

spog posted:

Hopefully, if you hit a truck, it will be fitted with a 'Mansfield bar'

Named after Jayne Mansfield who demonstrated what happens if you hit a truck that doesn't have one....

Did you not watch the video? They were specifically pointing out how federal standards regulating those bars aren't strict enough.

All the trucks in the video had them, and most just sheared right off, like the drivers head. :gibs:

xergm fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 4, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MausoleumExtremist posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: Never Click the LiveLeak Links

"Everyone come over and lift this 10,000 lb forklift off of her by hand!"

Good god, the part where he tries to drive off of her.. I mean, what else can you do, but at the same time, there's no goddamn way *that's* gonna help the situation..

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would think that you want the bars to shear at some point so they slow the crashing vehicle down enough so the passenger compartment doesn't end up under the trailer. Hitting a solid end of a trailer at freeway speeds is still going to end up as a fatality but if the bar acts as a crash cushion then the drivers in the crashing vehicle may survive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Good god, the part where he tries to drive off of her.. I mean, what else can you do, but at the same time, there's no goddamn way *that's* gonna help the situation..

Judging from how it twisted her up and the horrified reactions of everyone else...it didn't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

We had an incident many years ago in Australia where a drugged up piece of poo poo footballer got kicked out of a nightclub one night and drove drunk and drugged along the road at insane speeds until he went right up the back of a truck and had his head taken off.

Naturally it was the truck's fault, because footballers are blameless princesses. But it did mean that we finally got legislation on proper rear impact guards which would actually stop cars from going straight under the back of a truck in a crash.

So, two good things came out of that night.

My mom's best friend in grade school ended up traumatized from this kind of thing. The victim in this case drove under a semi from the side, which knocked his head off and landed it directly on her windshield. His head was jammed in the gap with the windshield wipers, staring at her.

The EMTs found her screaming in her car parked on the side of the road. They had to beat her hands to get her out because she was frozen gripping the steering wheel.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

xergm posted:

Did you not watch the video? They were specifically pointing out how federal standards regulating those bars aren't strict enough.

All the trucks in the video had them, and most just sheared right off, like the drivers head. :gibs:

The structural failure isn't completely due to flimsy ICC bars either. In the United States you have an 80,000 lb limit for vehicle and freight (depending on axles), so every extra pound in your trailer's empty weight is a pound of lost freight revenue, by cutting out as much of the frame and wall weight as possible you while still having just enough metal to tack a bar on (don't forget the reflector tape either!) you are making a more desirable product for carriers to buy for their fleets. No carrier is going to buy a trailer with excessive crash protection for other vehicles, their only concern is longevity of the driver and equipment, and cubic feet of freight per ton of vehicle.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

spog posted:

Hopefully, if you hit a truck, it will be fitted with a 'Mansfield bar'

Named after Jayne Mansfield who demonstrated what happens if you hit a truck that doesn't have one....

Did you watch the video? The whole point of the video is that Mansfield bars don't work worth a drat.

Bonus Jayne Mansfield-themed videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6198qSm0Y0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyU_jaAjAo

e;f,bxlots; clearly I should refresh before posting.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2016

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

OSHA-appropriate crosspost

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
More reddit OSHA

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/5b58ev/tifu_by_hiring_an_18_year_old_boy_to_work_for_my/

quote:

The kid decides the 40lb pipe is too heavy to lift by hand and elects to use a mini excavator to clam and throw the pipe in the bin, I gave him my keys and said "sure just be careful". Now it is worth noting my 500 gallon propane tank is 10ft from the bin, I'm sure you can see where this is going.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It got removed. What happened?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It got removed.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

Why was that guy trying to tame a CAT on the race track?

Not sure if this is just a joke, but a couple of laps earlier another car had spun off on the same corner and hit the crash barriers. The driver was fine but the officials were removing the wreckage of his car because - ironically - it posed a hazard to any other driver who lost control on that corner.

From the video it looks as though Bianchi's face took the full impact, and I'm amazed there was anything left to keep on life support for a year.

Humphreys posted:

Wow, is that really a thing? I knew girdling/ring-barking with trees will kill off anything above the wound! Now I have a new thing to worry about at work. Watched a guy get his finger de-gloved on a highwire course in basic training back when I was younger and I thought that would be the worst. But slowly killing off the flesh? Nope.jpg

Yep, burns can swell up fast. The swelling can cut off the blood circulation, which is why you should always go immediately to hospital if you have a burn that goes all the way around a digit or a limb, no matter how minor you think the burn is.

And then the doctors will literally slit your burned skin open to allow the tissues to expand.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Going to tie a rope around my head and light it on fire so the top of my noggin' will fall off.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you have a samsung washing machine, you could have a BOMB! in your house.

Samsung, CPSC Recalling 2.8 Million Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Explosion

“We’re talking about ... a very serious hazard of the top of these washing machines completely blowing off,” Elliot Kaye, the chairman of the CPSC, told “GMA” Investigates in an interview that aired Friday on “GMA.” “It is a lot of reports.”

Kaye said the tops of the affected units weren’t “secured enough based on a design failure. And the top just completely blows off.”

The recall affects 34 of Samsung's top-loading models that were sold from March 2011 to November 2016.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/samsung-cpsc-recalling-28-million-top-loading-washing/story?id=43291726

Video inside showing WASHING MACHINE CARNAGE.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Samsung, CPSC Recalling 2.8 Million Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Explosion

“We’re talking about ... a very serious hazard of the top of these washing machines completely blowing off,” Elliot Kaye, the chairman of the CPSC, told “GMA” Investigates in an interview that aired Friday on “GMA.” “It is a lot of reports.”

Kaye said the tops of the affected units weren’t “secured enough based on a design failure. And the top just completely blows off.”

The recall affects 34 of Samsung's top-loading models that were sold from March 2011 to November 2016.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/samsung-cpsc-recalling-28-million-top-loading-washing/story?id=43291726

I'm the EAT sign on top of the fridge.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

poo poo, while we're at it, pretty much every dehumidifier is being recalled because they can suddenly burst into flames and burn down your house. You will probably get a refund check for part of the price of a new more efficient, non-burny dehumidifier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neutrino posted:

9/8/2016 Worker struck and killed by wall when section of building collapsed. Fatality
9/1/2016 Worker asphyxiated from exposure to chlorine gas. Fatality
8/22/2016 Worker struck and killed by steel form used in production of septic tanks. Fatality
7/2/2016 Worker fatally crushed under laser cutting table. Fatality
6/24/2016 Worker struck and killed by column during demolition. Fatality
6/14/2016 Worker fatally crushed by overhead crane. Fatality
5/24/2016 Worker trimming a tree electrocuted by power lines. Fatality
5/4/2016 Worker killed in fall from ladder jack scaffold. Fatality
4/18/2016 Worker killed in fall from roof. Fatality
4/11/2016 Worker killed when scissors lift fell over. Fatality
3/15/2016 Worker died after becoming entangled in lathe. Fatality
2/29/2016 Worker repairing bus fatally crushed by vehicle. Fatality
2/8/2016 Worker fatally crushed underneath forklift. Fatality
2/2/2016 Worker fatally shot by former co-worker. Fatality
1/22/2016 Worker stuck and killed by falling cart. Fatality
11/10/2015 Worker killed in trench collapse. Fatality
10/27/2015 Worker died after being pulled into machine by rollers. Fatality

OSHA listed fatalities from the past year in my state. Apparently OSHA gets involved when a former co-worker shoots you on the job. The chlorine gas one sounds interesting - better to be asphyxiated to death than to survive that although surviving chlorine is probably impossible.

That reads like project milestones for the developers of the new Mortal Kombat v. OSHA crossover.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e84uFUNVbhw

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

How do his ankles still work :gonk:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

Look if you have a better idea for using all those Note 7 batteries in the warehouse, I'm sure Samsung would love to hear them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TTerrible posted:

How do his ankles still work :gonk:

Determination.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Haven't seen this last one before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw&t=532s

:wtc:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

one of these days i'm going to make an Anvil Chorus edit of these

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you can’t see the lights, it doesn’t count.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is loving comedy gold.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

WASHING MACHINE CARNAGE.

Haha, wow thats crazy. Oh hey, that looks like my washing machine. oh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What I don't understand is at a bridge like this they font hang a board on chain at 10'8".. If you hit this sign don't go.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MausoleumExtremist posted:

The structural failure isn't completely due to flimsy ICC bars either. In the United States you have an 80,000 lb limit for vehicle and freight (depending on axles), so every extra pound in your trailer's empty weight is a pound of lost freight revenue, by cutting out as much of the frame and wall weight as possible you while still having just enough metal to tack a bar on (don't forget the reflector tape either!) you are making a more desirable product for carriers to buy for their fleets. No carrier is going to buy a trailer with excessive crash protection for other vehicles, their only concern is longevity of the driver and equipment, and cubic feet of freight per ton of vehicle.

My pops is glad to finally retire out of trucking because of bullshit like this and chucklefucks basically trying suicide by truck every day for ~45 years.

I'll have to badger him for stories and pics because holy poo poo some people really deserve to have their mangled carcass tossed on the side of the road to get eaten by coyotes so something good came of their existence.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Slugworth posted:

I think this is pretty much classified as "killed instantly" - I think there's less than six inches of clearance under there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad there wasn't any sound on that video.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Three-Phase posted:

I think this is pretty much classified as "killed instantly" - I think there's less than six inches of clearance under there.

another example of "injuries incompatible with life"

Griz
May 21, 2001

tater_salad posted:

What I don't understand is at a bridge like this they font hang a board on chain at 10'8".. If you hit this sign don't go.

there's a 12 foot tunnel in Alabama where they had chains hanging from the warning sign, and they got 5 trucks stuck in 2 months. so they put PVC pipe over the chains and wrapped it with reflective tape, and also added a height detector that sets off red flashing lights and a siren and changes the sign on the tunnel entrance to say STOP DO NOT ENTER, and trucks still ignore all that and get stuck.

Griz fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 5, 2016

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

On monday I needed a yard boy to help clean, run parts, organize material. etc, at my equipment yard. I figured: "gently caress it, any moron can do this job. I'll just hire some kid and pay him cash to see if he is worth a poo poo".
Fast forward 3 days to yesterday: The kid is working out great! He is very hard working, does everything I ask and does so with gusto. He is obviously trying to show me he is a hard worker and I respect that. Coming to me every time he finishes the task I and I give him another.
Around noon yesterday he comes to me and says "all done with such and such boss. What else you got for me". So I instructed him to start filling the metal recycling bin with scrap pipe laying around, what could go wrong right?
The kid decides the 40lb pipe is too heavy to lift by hand and elects to use a mini excavator to clam and throw the pipe in the bin, I gave him my keys and said "sure just be careful". Now it is worth noting my 500 gallon propane tank is 10ft from the bin, I'm sure you can see where this is going.
The kid lifts the pipe and swings OVER the propane tank and as luck would have it the pipe slips out of the tractors bucket, lands on the release valve located on top of the tank cracking the flange and releasing nearly all of the propane.
The kid is terrified and runs off the machine after a near by truck driver yells for him to run. Luckily. After 2 mins of gas escaping the static energy sparks an explosion felt by my office 100 yards away.
6 fire trucks come out after I call 911, 3 hazmat crews are called to the scene and wide spread panic in my office ensues.
When it came time to give a report statement to the cops I told the kid to say I did it and he was at lunch because I was going to pay him in cash and didn't want to get caught. I give my statement to the investigator and he gives his buy the kids story didn't match up with mine so I was called back to ask what really happened. So I told the truth, which I should have done in the first place.
After 5 hours of investigations and inspections it turns out numerous things in my yard are not in compliance with hazmat code in my state and I have a laundry list of infractions to fix in 30 days OR I gave 50k in fines.
Luckily no one got hurt and only a few pieces of my equipment were destroyed, all that poo poo is replaceable so I'm not worried. I just couldn't sleep last night knowing I gave a kid the keys to the tractor and it could have killed him.
**Security video (explosion @5:46): http://euroshare.eu/file/84H1K1BLiY/videoplayback.mp4
TL;DR: nearly killed an employee giving him a task i shouldn't have given him. And placing my metal recycling bin next to a 500 gallon propane tank.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol I assume that went to the police too? :v

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
still blows my mind that people post stories admitting fraud on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NewForumSoftware posted:

still blows my mind that people post stories admitting fraud on reddit

It blows my mind that people post on Reddit.