Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

nong posted:

This is few page back but lol @ all the people here complaining about the locals not understand or giving you guys a blank stare when you speak the local language.
Because, for some reason, the foreigners seem to unable to admit that maybe, just MAYBE that they suck at speaking the local language?

Especially with language using multiple tonal pronunciations that will end up being completely off and unintelligible if the speaker dont say it right. At best that it seems funny when they butcher the pronunciations, or it can be down right irritating and annoying.

Go home and practice more instead of complaining about it.

You get that they do that to native speakers who are the wrong race, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The tones are not hard at all after like two weeks of being in China and native speakers flatten and often flat out fail to pronounce tones all the time. If anything speaking intelligible Chinese to a Chinese hick gets you stared at harder than speaking really lovely Chinese because that's fukken bizzaro eowowowoeowow
The joke is that when you say "intelligible Chinese" spoken by foreigners it's most likely to be unintelligible garbage.

It's quite funny to see great examples of Dunning-Kruger effect at full swing right here.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

That would make an amazing TV show. Nobody understands a word he says but it's been going on so long everyone is too embarrassed to say anything. It'd be like being hell banned in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PXvqYpGCM

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nong posted:

The joke is that when you say "intelligible Chinese" spoken by foreigners it's most likely to be unintelligible garbage.

It's quite funny to see great examples of Dunning-Kruger effect at full swing right here.

it's not the dunning-kruger effect when you have taken an exam that says you have passed a certain level

course that was in 2013, i actually think my characters are worse now than they were then because i haven't studied at all since that summer

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like the whole idea of the dunning-kroeger effect is that you are not able to assess your own level, meaning you think you are better than what you are. it doesn't work when you have taken an exam that has actually assessed you and said that you are now at a level that allows you to speak fluently across multiple conversation topics.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

they are just nodding their heads and just guessing what i'm saying correctly for the past few years

i wouldn't dismiss this so quickly

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i actually wish my chinese was more garbage and i hadn't learned it, so i'm all for people telling me my chinese is garbage. i'd have far less work to do and wouldn't have to understand the world around me, which would improve my life dramatically in china

unfortunately, there's no going back, though i do often tell people "i dont understand" and walk away from them and get out of doing stuff, which is convenient a fair amount of the time

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

it's not the dunning-kruger effect when you have taken an exam that says you have passed a certain level

course that was in 2013, i actually think my characters are worse now than they were then because i haven't studied at all since that summer
Now we are getting to the point where a poster is arguing how competent they are because they did this well on this test.

Wait where have we seen this before? And didn't we just ragged on asian countries for their exam based education system?

Also, it's hilariously that you are trying to point to a test that's "made up of listening comprehension, reading comprehension and writing and contains a total of 100 test items" to try and prove how well you can butcher the pronunciations :downsbravo:

I guess the upside is that you basically shows all the traits that we laughed at earlier so you might actually be a local after all.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

just guessing what i'm saying correctly for the past few years

I'm really good at guessing.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nong posted:

Now we are getting to the point where a poster is arguing how competent they are because they did this well on this test.

Wait where have we seen this before? And didn't we just ragged on asian countries for their exam based education system?

Also, it's hilariously that you are trying to point to a test that's "made up of listening comprehension, reading comprehension and writing and contains a total of 100 test items" to try and prove how well you can butcher the pronunciations :downsbravo:

I guess the upside is that you basically shows all the chinese traits that we laughed at earlier so you might actually be a local after all.

i was linking it for the part that says "Test takers who are able to pass the HSK IV can converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers"

i really don't care enough to continue to argue semantics, you can think whatever you want, lol

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

you can think whatever you want, lol

Yeah, like those people who couldn't understand you when you try to speak to them :v:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nong posted:

Yeah, like those people who couldn't understand you when you try and speak to them.

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ching chong. Ping pong

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

unfortunately, there's no going back, though i do often tell people "i dont understand" and walk away from them and get out of doing stuff, which is convenient a fair amount of the time

you might be a local after all, there is still hope

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

camgirl fangirl posted:

you might be a local after all, there is still hope

入乡随俗

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BONGHITZ posted:

Ching chong. Ping pong

:eyepop:

Roamin' for a probin'

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Outrail posted:

That would make an amazing TV show. Nobody understands a word he says but it's been going on so long everyone is too embarrassed to say anything. It'd be like being hell banned in real life.

It was part of a sub-plot in a 30 Rock episode

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Counter point: The purpose of a language is to communicate ideas and concepts. If there's a plurality of anecdotes that show you can study and work at and live a language for more than five years and people still don't understand you it's doing a pretty piss poor job of fulfilling it's primary purpose.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I love FBR and wish we had more like him. Does TWM even post anymore? He was always good for a laugh

nong posted:

Yeah, like those people who couldn't understand you when you try to speak to them :v:
are you a native m8

because like, trying to speak asian languages to some dumb asians is a loving pain where all the reaction you get is like "eeeeeeeeeee, i dont get what he's sayiiiiinngg" even if the language isn't tonal and you're using a dialect at all (though if you don't get osaka dialect you should get hosed anyway)

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

nong posted:

Your username makes me suspicious of you using a alt specifically made to troll this thread..

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lazer Monkey posted:

Your username makes me suspicious of you using a alt specifically made to troll this thread..

You're so paranoid. Makes you lose face

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

he can't view that, and neither can I, but we'll assume it's something cool

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Lazer Monkey posted:

Pointing out that it might be somewhat racist to think "lol those dumb asians and their cultural inability to understand my perfectly spoken local language due to my skin color" when in fact it might just be people are honestly having a hard time understanding them is trolling?

And the fact the person just can't admit that possibility and want to point to *~some tests~* that they took to prove how well they can speak just makes it funnier.
Especially since it's in the same country they derided for having lovely exam based education system.

nong fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Saying it happens is not racist. Saying it always happens is racist.

Pretending people in this thread have said it always happens is trolling.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you're white and handsome in china can't you just make money being some kind of 1800's style american freakshow

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Believing it to be stupid that having your entire life be defined by a single test does not mean that anyone wants to abolish testing altogether... You need some kind of metric to neutrally assess someones skill level and the language proficiency tests are pretty good at that. You can hardly learn to a reading comprehension test if you dont know what text will be in the exam.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget

Third World Reggin posted:

Pretending people in this thread have said it always happens is trolling.

My bad if I misunderstood them as most posters seems to be saying that it always happens.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

nong posted:

My bad if I misunderstood.

No worries, mate. It's OK.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nong posted:

My bad if I misunderstood them as most posters seems to be saying that it always happens.

it certainly doesn't always happen, if it did i would never be able to get anything done in this country and would have left like six years ago. but it does happen, and it happens a statistically significant amount to the point that it is frustrating and a talking point from time to time. does it define china? of course not. it is something to talk about that people who live in china have to deal with and discuss from time to time? yes. it is something i have to deal with weekly. i'm sorry if it bothers some people. if it is my lovely chinese, then i apologize.

Third World Reggin posted:

^^this^^

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peak debt posted:

Believing it to be stupid that having your entire life be defined by a single test does not mean that anyone wants to abolish testing altogether... You need some kind of metric to neutrally assess someones skill level and the language proficiency tests are pretty good at that.

right. it's almost like testing is an ok way to judge and assess a level of something, but one test shouldn't define someone's life forever, nor should testing be the only important aspect of education.

quite a hot take, i know

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you're white and handsome in china can't you just make money being some kind of 1800's style american freakshow

Yeah, mate of mine played an evil White industrialist/ shipping guy in a period drama

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, mate of mine played an evil White industrialist/ shipping guy in a period drama

there's a few expats i know in tianjin from france, usa and belgium that do this, they play "white xxxx" in chinese dramas, the french guy tells everyone he is a "professional actor" in china but he usually just growls at the camera in all the parts i've ever seen him play.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The funny thing is that outside Beijing, some villages in Hubei and the post 80's generation (so still quite a lot o people) the level of Mandarin is very varying in China and I often hear Chinese people complain about other Chinese people's Mandarin. As for the blank stares when speaking Mandarin, I only remember it happening two or three times in 5 years. And this was when my level was admittedly lovely, but then again in Shanghai I guess people are more used to varying levels of Mandarin.

Edit: Mao Zedong's Mandarin was famously poor, imagine giving him a blank stare.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Outrail posted:

Counter point: The purpose of a language is to communicate ideas and concepts. If there's a plurality of anecdotes that show you can study and work at and live a language for more than five years and people still don't understand you it's doing a pretty piss poor job of fulfilling it's primary purpose.

It clearly does work for people from the region who are used to somewhat similar languages. My girlfriend spoke a 0% mutually intelligible regional dialect, didn't even begin learning Mandarin until she was 17 with her university entry exams coming up, yet aced them and completed a degree in Mandarin within 5 years.

There's also plenty of people having similar trouble with English right now, despite living in English speaking countries for a while. I work with international students, many of whom who have only begun their English instruction in the last 3-5 years, and it can take a whollllle lot of effort to understand them, effort that most people aren't willing to put in. I bet they wish they got blank stares rather than screaming abuse.

1) I'm not good at learning languages
2) My native language is very different to this language I am trying to learn
3) The language SUCKS and should be changed to be closer to English please

I didn't read the other options but I'll take #3 please. -china thread

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 5, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharnifex posted:

Did he get to do any moustache twirling and scream God Save the Queen?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

But, enough about FBR...

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's not my fault you're not english literate beyond a 5th grade level.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

nong posted:

It happens in other countries as well, when people can't square the fact that you don't LOOK native but SPEAK and understand native language, it messes severely with preconceived notions of who you can communicate with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife is russian and used to work at the British embassy in moscow. Her department all could speak english since their bosses and managers were all english. One day they got a new manager, nice fellow from manchester. He was very sad the first month there because he thought everyone hated him. People seemed to ignore what he said and would shy away or stare blankly at attempts at conversation. It couldn't be their english skills because they seemed to chat and get along fine with the other brittish staff.

Finally they had to tell him no one could understand his loving manchester accent since all their previous bosses were southern upper class folk. Eventually he managed to speak english a little better and they learned to understand his "english"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My ability to navigate Chinese grocery stores, filled with old Chinese ladies, is 100% due to my ability to pretend I cannot see any of said Chinese ladies blocking the isles pretending they don't see me. They are surprisingly spry when they realize they have been out-Chinard.

• Locked thread