Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CodfishCartographer posted:

lol if you even have an email and use a bank instead of keeping all your wealth in cash

lol if you keep your wealth tied to a fiat currency instead of a diversified portfolio of real estate, gold, silver, and a PMC. :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I dislike the round aesthetic but I understand the point of it. The problem is going to remain the same thing it always has been which is that some companies are going to make iOS-like roundrect icons and that's it. Or they're going to completely ignore guidelines and make the ugliest poo poo imaginable and your app drawer is going to look like rear end. Putting the ugliness into circles doesn't solve the problem that some companies just make things ugly, like your bank and your television provider.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.samsung.com/cn/consumer/mobile-phones/smart-phone/other/SM-W2017ZDACTC
samsung's new flip phone got announced, two screens, should be about $3000
press "t 产品展示" for photos

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Got my XL and Home in today. Plugged it in to my 6P and it copied all of my app data. The first time, without any fuckery. Posting from it right now using Awful which was still signed in. Is this what it's like to own an iPhone?

p.s. This phone owns just as I predicted it would. Totally worth the upgrade from the 6P.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Got my XL and Home in today. Plugged it in to my 6P and it copied all of my app data. The first time, without any fuckery. Posting from it right now using Awful which was still signed in. Is this what it's like to own an iPhone?

p.s. This phone owns just as I predicted it would. Totally worth the upgrade from the 6P.

Congrats. I was also impressed with the migration.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

There is zero physical or software difference between a Verizon Pixel and a Google store Pixel. It's all IMEI based. If your IMEI is in the list as a Verizon Pixel, the phone doesn't permit flipping the bootloader unlock switch. The apps aren't pre-installed either, they are downloaded and installed from the play store when the phone is setup with a Verizon SIM in it (should happen to Google store pixels as well, I can't verify through because I setup mine without the SIM installed.) That's been a feature in android for quite some time.

The only difference between the phone you buy in a Verizon store and a phone you buy from Google is an entry in a remote DB.

so buying a phone in best buy but not putting a verizon sim is the same as getting it from the play store once i put in my att sim?

-Onyeka

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CalvinandHobbes posted:

so buying a phone in best buy but not putting a verizon sim is the same as getting it from the play store once i put in my att sim?

-Onyeka

Yes. However even before you put a SIM in the verizon one will prevent you from unlocking the boot loader. It does an imei check to a database where it knows which pixels are sold as "verizon" (regardless of SIM status) and won't let it unlock.

Although if you don't have internet access what happens, since it can't phone home.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Anyone else have duplicate emoji?
I see two girl-boy-heart and two man-woman-boy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So what do the "Verizon" pixels do that is bad? I'm ATT and was planning to pick up a pixel from Best Buy if they get any Black Friday deals, but am hesitant if they're sold as Verizon versions with some limiting stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

-Onyeka

No, because the IMEI is still in the DB as being sold as a Verizon phone so the bootloader can't be unlocked.'

Other than that, it will function 100% the same.

Sold as a verizon phone = bootloader can't be unlocked.

That's the singular difference.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Although if you don't have internet access what happens, since it can't phone home.

No Pixel will let you turn on the bootloader unlock in the settings without internet access. The message on the greyed out bootloader unlock switch in the dev settings is something to the effect of "Check your internet connection or contact your carrier."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 5, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also they require you to do business with Verizon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RZA Encryption posted:

Anyone else have duplicate emoji?
I see two girl-boy-heart and two man-woman-boy

Your phone is just trying to advance its hetronormative agenda.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OH MY GOD I FINALLY ORDERED MY BLACK 128GB PIXEL XL IT'LL BE HERE TUESDAY!!!! *furiously spurts cum everywhere*

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

OH MY GOD I FINALLY ORDERED MY BLACK 128GB PIXEL XL IT'LL BE HERE TUESDAY!!!! *furiously spurts cum everywhere*

Charming.

Pixel 128GB in the UK is back in stock from Google directly if... if anyone's interested.

I will ask again: Has anyone gone to the Pixel from the Galaxy S7? I really like the S7. Never had a Samsung before but this one is quite fast, stable, and so far has been getting security updates within a reasonable timeframe. The camera is also excellent. I know the Pixel will feel snappier in use, but other than that, any comments?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 5, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

http://www.samsung.com/cn/consumer/mobile-phones/smart-phone/other/SM-W2017ZDACTC
samsung's new flip phone got announced, two screens, should be about $3000
press "t 产品展示" for photos

I'll bite; what in the gently caress does a flip phone need with two full size screens?
I can understand Blackberry losing their minds and making something like this, but Samsung?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Charming.

Pixel 128GB in the UK is back in stock from Google directly if... if anyone's interested.

I will ask again: Has anyone gone to the Pixel from the Galaxy S7? I really like the S7. Never had a Samsung before but this one is quite fast, stable, and so far has been getting security updates within a reasonable timeframe. The camera is also excellent. I know the Pixel will feel snappier in use, but other than that, any comments?

My inclination is to say that if you can't feel all of the pain points in using a Samsung, you aren't going to appreciate the point of the Pixel. Not trying to be snarky, I'm just saying that the raison d'etre of the Pixel is pretty much to fix what's wrong with having Samsung=Android and if you're happy with a Samsung, the things that the Pixel brings to the table aren't going to impress you.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

My inclination is to say that if you can't feel all of the pain points in using a Samsung, you aren't going to appreciate the point of the Pixel. Not trying to be snarky, I'm just saying that the raison d'etre of the Pixel is pretty much to fix what's wrong with having Samsung=Android and if you're happy with a Samsung, the things that the Pixel brings to the table aren't going to impress you.

I feel like this would be a pretty good point in an argument about how the Pixel brand will ultimately fail.

Why spend the money if Samsung is good enough? The people looking for the next Nexus is a smaller group than those who have done just fine with Samsung.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I feel like this would be a pretty good point in an argument about how the Pixel brand will ultimately fail.

Why spend the money if Samsung is good enough? The people looking for the next Nexus is a smaller group than those who have done just fine with Samsung.

Aren't they priced similarly?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

RZA Encryption posted:

Maybe. I don't know about Samsung, but people were up in arms about the Pixel's price, weren't they?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mogomra posted:

Maybe. I don't know about Samsung, but people were up in arms about the Pixel's price, weren't they?

Only because it was way more expensive than most of the Nexus phones. It is on par with new Samsung phones and iPhones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure it's roughly the same as the Note 7/S7 Edge/iPhone 7, at least in Canada

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Samsungs are heavily subsidized though, not just to the end user but to the carrier store worker who is pushing them.

Mogomra posted:

Google wins no matter who's selling the Android handsets and a sale poached from Samsung doesn't really help them. The only conquests that matter are iOS conquests and that's who the Pixel is designed to attract. Google gains nothing by attacking the only successful Android OEM and I'd argue that Samsung has gotten all the converts from iOS they were going to get with their awful skin. It's going to take a new approach to win iPhone users over and the Pixel is Google's approach for better or worse.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Samsungs are heavily subsidized though, not just to the end user but to the carrier store worker who is pushing them.

But iPhone, pixel, and s7 all start at $27-28/month through Verizon. End user sees these as identical options price wise. There is no price advantage to Samsung for a Verizon customer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

But iPhone, pixel, and s7 all start at $27-28/month through Verizon. End user sees these as identical options price wise. There is no price advantage to Samsung for a Verizon customer.

You're right, all they know is that the Verizon guy says the Samsung is the best one. (Because he is being paid to, but the Verizon customer is not privy to that information.)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You're right, all they know is that the Verizon guy says the Samsung is the best one. (Because he is being paid to, but the Verizon customer is not privy to that information.)

You are correct that there could potentially be a difference in influence over people walking into a store without knowing what they want. I'm too removed from that mindset to have thought of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Except they haven't been doing that. Verizon was heavily pushing people towards the Pixel XL as a replacement for the Note 7.

Google brought their A game this time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Google wins no matter who's selling the Android handsets and a sale poached from Samsung doesn't really help them. The only conquests that matter are iOS conquests and that's who the Pixel is designed to attract. Google gains nothing by attacking the only successful Android OEM and I'd argue that Samsung has gotten all the converts from iOS they were going to get with their awful skin. It's going to take a new approach to win iPhone users over and the Pixel is Google's approach for better or worse.

As an iOS user, what's the "awful skin" of Samsung and why is pixel better? I tried out a Galaxy S3 a while back and wasn't a huge fan of it and wound up going back to iOS, but after fiddling around with a Pixel I'm thinking of switching over. I can't really adequately explain why I feel like the pixel is better than the S3 I used, just that the UI seems much easier to navigate and interact with overall. If someone who knows more about android stuff could write some words on the difference between the two, that'd be rad.

Apologies for my ignorance on the stuff, android thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

You are correct that there could potentially be a difference in influence over people walking into a store without knowing what they want. I'm too removed from that mindset to have thought of it.

Which again is kind of the point of the Pixel. I'd say among the people who know what they want, it ranks up there as desirable as the iPhone. That said, that's rare air and most people don't give a gently caress which is Mogomra's point. Those people are happy enough with whatever, or better yet, whatever everyone else has.

The Camry doesn't have to be the best car, people just have to think that other people think that it is.

bull3964 posted:

Except they haven't been doing that. Verizon was heavily pushing people towards the Pixel XL as a replacement for the Note 7.

Google brought their A game this time.

It's hard to recommend the poo poo that's in the news for exploding and Apple is famous for not subsidizing anything. I think everyone's got a pretty good idea what they're getting with an iPhone anyway, nothing the sales guy says or doesn't will change that. I'd wager anyone wanting advice from the phone guy is choosing between Android handsets, not choosing between iOS and Android.

As an iOS user, what's the "awful skin" of Samsung and why is pixel better? I tried out a Galaxy S3 a while back and wasn't a huge fan of it and wound up going back to iOS, but after fiddling around with a Pixel I'm thinking of switching over. I can't really adequately explain why I feel like the pixel is better than the S3 I used, just that the UI seems much easier to navigate and interact with overall. If someone who knows more about android stuff could write some words on the difference between the two, that'd be rad.

Samsung likes to believe that they're above Android and that people are buying their devices because of what they add but the truth is the poo poo they add is worse than the default Google apps that every Android handset has to include to carry the Play Store. So they'll do stuff like turn off Google contact sync by default in favor of a homegrown, non-functional contact store. They'll include duplicate apps for most things, even the app store, because they wanted to lay the groundwork to switch people off Android and onto Tizen (this was aborted but the remnants remain) so everyone gets to choose among a bunch of poo poo just to do simple tasks.

There are other criticisms I could make like feature bloat with an option for every useless thing instead of just picking sane defaults, or them changing things just to be different instead of better, or them lacking a cohesive visual style that isn't garish.

I'm sure others will do a better job stating what I'm thinking but poorly articulating at the moment.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 5, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The S3 was, at best, three versions of Android behind what the Pixel ships with. Google made a lot of changes to the design language of Android in that time, most notably implementing Material design.

Samsung likes to mess with the settings and quick actions screens most notably. They also have (used to) really inconsistent designs, clashing with the Android's designs and sometimes even with themselves, depending on what they updated and what they skipped over.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I need to roll back a page.

Are people actually overclocking their phones?

If by Overclock you mean Underclock. Yes.

Not really much need on the 820 or other CPU's, but the 810 doesn't need to run at 1.5/2.0Ghz on its LITTLE.big cores or use all of them so why not take some control and pull out another hr of SoT battery life with no noticeable performance loss?

Also on the Verizon Pixel (XL) talk, a guy at work just got one to replace his Timebomb Note 7, and unlike what he believes others have said, he put in the Sim from his Note 7 into the Pixel and it just worked without installing any of the Verizon bloat or making any changes. He said when another friend got his from Verizon and put in the Sim for it specifically, it installs the Verizon bloat (and perhaps then also locks the Bootloader as well?)

One thing I want on my 6P is that new live wallpaper stuff on the Pixel. That looks slick as hell. I already love the Pixel launcher after using Sense Home for the last 10 years. (Anyone remember HTC Home on the HTC Titan/Mogul? or TouchFlo on TP1 and 2)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, do you think cybersecurity is "black and white"? Is that actually what you're saying? You should go post that in the infosec thread in SH/SC.

Why do you think Google says a phone isn't secure if you have a bootloader unlocked? Everyone here was even praising it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also on the Verizon Pixel (XL) talk, a guy at work just got one to replace his Timebomb Note 7, and unlike what he believes others have said, he put in the Sim from his Note 7 into the Pixel and it just worked without installing any of the Verizon bloat or making any changes. He said when another friend got his from Verizon and put in the Sim for it specifically, it installs the Verizon bloat (and perhaps then also locks the Bootloader as well?)

Bootloader lock has nothing to do with the SIM. It's IMEI based.

The three apps that get installed likely only install IF you have the SIM inserted during setup. If you setup the phone first and then put the SIM in, nothing happens. That's stock Android functionally.

They are just automated play store installs and can be uninstalled.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The three apps that get installed likely only install IF you have the SIM inserted during setup. If you setup the phone first and then put the SIM in, nothing happens. That's stock Android functionally.

They are just automated play store installs and can be uninstalled.

Ah makes sense.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Why do you think Google says a phone isn't secure if you have a bootloader unlocked? Everyone here was even praising it

I legitimately have no idea what point you're trying to make with that question.

Edit: If you're trying to pitch that as a confirmation that security is black and white, that's a bit dense. Yes, if you openly willing a potential vector for attack, Google doesn't want you using their payment app. That doesn't somehow mean your phone is compromised, it doesn't mean a passcode and/or fingerprint are rendered useless, or that FDE can't possibly be effective, so on and so forth. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but hot drat does that not illustrate the point you think it does.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Holy poo poo!!!!! My play store top charts now has top apps and games in different categories!!!!! gently caress yeah!!!!!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

So is the database on the phone? Or you cannot unlock the bootloader without an internet connection?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

So is the database on the phone? Or you cannot unlock the bootloader without an internet connection?

The latter.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The length of time the pixel/7.1 keeps things in memory is insane. I'm talking about going back to an app after several days and it's still suspended here

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

The latter.

Yup it seems to be the latter. People have reported the message in Developer options as saying "Please check your internet connection or contact your carrier" if the option is greyed out.

It appears to check only once, I could still flip the switch on mine after rebooting in airplane mode. So, it probably checks in the first time you have an internet connection and enables/disables the option then.

It's really using th the device protection feature behind the scenes. That's why they added the switch to flip in developer options in marshmallow, by not turning it on, your phone becomes useless to anyone who stole it, they can't even factory reset it and get a usable phone.

That, more than "messing with the phone" is likely the reason Verizon has disabled the ability to turn it on. There's been a lot of legislative pressure to render stolen phones useless, and a unlockable bootloader sidesteps a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Just got a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016,) and am trying to figure out when/how I can update it from Lollipop to Marshmallow, but it's pretty hard to figure out what Samsung's roll-out plans are. Apparently they started rolling out Marshmallow on A3s in Korea all the way back in July, but beyond that I can't figure out if they just stopped rolling it out, if there's something I need to do beyond using "manual update," or if they're seriously taking 4 months between roll-outs in different regions, when they're letting EU devices update. Do I just need to be patient? Is there somewhere you can actually see ETAs on new Android versions for your device?

Joda fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 5, 2016