Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

trucutru posted:

So, does this game rankings reset once a month or something like that?

Otherwise, why are there so many $$$ decks at D0? I mean, there is no way they could suck that much, right?

(Although I did beat a wallet warrior who used Otohime when I had 2 untargetable monsters on the field, so I just outraced his rear end. I bet he died with a hand full of legendaries).

No, the monthly score rewards reset (last tab in the mission screen), but the rankings don't.
There are good decks in D rank, because other people know about rerolling as well. There are also people who deliberately stay in the low ranks by conceding a bunch to make their dailies / monthly score grind easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
a lot of people deliberately tank their ranking until they have a strong collection. as you found out, doing "get 5 wins with XXXcraft!" dailies sucks if you don't have anything useful in that craft. it's even worse if you ride your one strong deck up to like AA0, because now your random dragoncraft pile is up against only netdecks

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

No, the monthly score rewards reset (last tab in the mission screen), but the rankings don't.
There are good decks in D rank, because other people know about rerolling as well. There are also people who deliberately stay in the low ranks by conceding a bunch to make their dailies / monthly score grind easier.

It has to be the second case. Those are some serious decks. Specially that mid-range sword or whatever.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

It has to be the second case. Those are some serious decks. Specially that mid-range sword or whatever.

I started playing like 2 weeks ago and i'm like two awilda's away from a reasonable midrange sword deck.

My winrate is still nuts without those Awilda's.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zoness posted:

I started playing like 2 weeks ago and i'm like two awilda's away from a reasonable midrange sword deck.

My winrate is still nuts without those Awilda's.

This is the precise deck I've been facing. Not cheap. (e: there are 2 awildas)

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/mid-range-swordcraft

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there are 2 alwidas in there

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm finally getting around to trying to build a good Swordcraft deck and I found the Face Deck framework in the thread OP right here that I'm working from. Question being, how would I work in my 2x Tsubaki here? I also have 1x Alexander as far as Sword specific legendaries go, and a Lucifer for neutrals. Advice on how I could tweak this budget deck would be great.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
A version of the deck based around Royal Banner and damage out of hand with Storm minions has largely displaced it these days. Phoneposting but look for a deck called Banner Swordcraft or Ohata Royal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
assault commander and swift infiltrator are easily the first two cards to go from that list, imo

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm finally getting around to trying to build a good Swordcraft deck and I found the Face Deck framework in the thread OP right here that I'm working from. Question being, how would I work in my 2x Tsubaki here? I also have 1x Alexander as far as Sword specific legendaries go, and a Lucifer for neutrals. Advice on how I could tweak this budget deck would be great.

Don't use the face deck if you want to play with your legendaries, the face deck is meant to largely decide the game within the first six turns. Modify the banner deck by replacing its two dance of death with your tsubakis. Don't put Alexander in if you want to play banner. Lucifer is too slow to use in banner.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One of my friends dragged me into playing this, why is the tutorial so long, why does it not use steam to directly invite people and why do so many cards not seem to describe what they do? :iiam:

anyways do any of the decks play like black/red or black/white?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

One of my friends dragged me into playing this, why is the tutorial so long, why does it not use steam to directly invite people and why do so many cards not seem to describe what they do? :iiam:

anyways do any of the decks play like black/red or black/white?

You can skip the entire tutorial by clicking skip in the top right. On cards, you can click bolded text for descriptions of what it does/what kind of token it makes/etc.

Swordcraft is the goto quick aggro, Dragoncraft is the make-big-things-fast (so more like green really), Bloodcraft is probably closest to what you want (aggro, health as a resource, anime vampires).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Don't use the face deck if you want to play with your legendaries, the face deck is meant to largely decide the game within the first six turns. Modify the banner deck by replacing its two dance of death with your tsubakis. Don't put Alexander in if you want to play banner. Lucifer is too slow to use in banner.

Okay cool that's what I did after someone mentioned the Banner Deck, although I'd also put Alexander it I'll take him back out for that 3rd Alwida's Command. Cheers friends, I think this is definitely a solid deck for a first step.

Also I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be an overwhelming majority but I'll ask anyways: How stupid would it be to buy the nifty Mordecai Leader for Shadowcraft? That's like 5 card packs worth of rupies but I also have me a good budget shadow deck and skull man seems super cool.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Okay cool that's what I did after someone mentioned the Banner Deck, although I'd also put Alexander it I'll take him back out for that 3rd Alwida's Command. Cheers friends, I think this is definitely a solid deck for a first step.

Also I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be an overwhelming majority but I'll ask anyways: How stupid would it be to buy the nifty Mordecai Leader for Shadowcraft? That's like 5 card packs worth of rupies but I also have me a good budget shadow deck and skull man seems super cool.

I bought Forte for Dragons and it was worth it to spam the "Excuuuuuuse the indecorum" emote whenever hitting their face.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One thing I don't get: Guy plays a card that says "Gives +1/+0 to all officers that come into play" but when he used it all his currently in play officers got a buff?

AfroSquirrel posted:

You can skip the entire tutorial by clicking skip in the top right. On cards, you can click bolded text for descriptions of what it does/what kind of token it makes/etc.

Swordcraft is the goto quick aggro, Dragoncraft is the make-big-things-fast (so more like green really), Bloodcraft is probably closest to what you want (aggro, health as a resource, anime vampires).

I was referring to Spellboost which is a weird mechanic, but I think I get it now.

Bloodcraft seems more my style but vampires are lame. :argh:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Cuntellectual posted:

One thing I don't get: Guy plays a card that says "Gives +1/+0 to all officers that come into play" but when he used it all his currently in play officers got a buff?

Is that the banner that also has Fanfare: +1/0 to all officers?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, there's a thing that both buffs existing officers AND future officers, as two separate abilities. I've never encountered a card that didn't do what it said, although it can sometimes be hard to read spellboosts effects.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do I need to play the main story to unlock all the basic cards for a deck?

Also I started a game and it said "spellboost x5" before I used any cards that had it. Is is tracking how many I have LEFT not how many I've USED? that seems less useful.

Drakes posted:

Is that the banner that also has Fanfare: +1/0 to all officers?

So it does, I guess I misread it!

Is there any way to destroy artifacts?

I assume there's no forced discard, either?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 5, 2016

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Yes there are some basic cards you can get after clearing up to stage 6 of any story mode.

When you say you "started a game" do you mean literally at the start, or after you already played cards like Magic Missile? Spellboost triggers off all spells, not just the ones that have spellboost on them.

There are some cards that destroy artifacts/amulets. Most notable is a neutral legendary named Odin that exiles/banishes when you play it

Cuntellectual posted:

why does it not use steam to directly invite people

because you're also playing with people on mobile

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

Do I need to play the main story to unlock all the basic cards for a deck?

Also I started a game and it said "spellboost x5" before I used any cards that had it. Is is tracking how many I have LEFT not how many I've USED? that seems less useful.

So it does, I guess I misread it!

Is there any way to destroy artifacts?

I assume there's no forced discard, either?

The spellboost tracks how many times you have spellboosted that particular card. Every time you cast a spell all the cards *in your hand* that can get spellboosted get a bonus, which is displayed in their text.

Yeah, there are some cards that can banish artifacts, not that many tho.

Forced discard as in make somebody else discard cards? Not that I know. But a few of your own cards can force you to discard from your hand.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
2 haven 3-2 and 1 shadow 4-1 tonight. God everytime I face a master player or a top100 take two player it's a sword draft able to play on curve and blast my rear end right from the start; except for the one top100 take twoer I faced who was playing shadow and I made him ragequit with the turn 9 olivia. Tonight I as haven faced a master who drafted and played two freaking alexanders, "Unbelievable"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just hit B0 playing nothing but Storm Haven. I've got cheapo sword and spell runecraft but I'm not nearly as comfortable with them. Should I just tank my rank to start building toward another deck? I really like the flexibility of the forest decks I've been seeing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just hit B0 playing nothing but Storm Haven. I've got cheapo sword and spell runecraft but I'm not nearly as comfortable with them. Should I just tank my rank to start building toward another deck? I really like the flexibility of the forest decks I've been seeing.

I've had some success doing my other class quests in unranked mode.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In case it's helpful for anyone: here's a list of all major archetypes commonly played at AA+, organized by a rough estimate of expense, with the expensive cards enumerated best as I can. Please note that all Haven lists have the option of running up to a full set of Moon al-Miraj in addition to the noted cards, but she appears to be fading fast from the metagame and is in no case mandatory.

poverty tier
Banner/Ohata Sword (3 Alwida)
Batspam Blood (3 Vania, 2 Vampiric Fortress)
Garuda Haven (3 Garuda, 2-3 Urd, 0-1 Themis)

1 playset tier
Face Dragon (3 Forte, 0/3 Dragonnewt Scholar)
Seraph Haven (2-3 Enshrined Seraph, 3 Elana, 3 Themis)
D-Shift Rune (2-3 Merlin, 3 D-Shift, 2-3 Fire Chain)
Aggro Shadow (3 Cerberus, 3 Phantom Howl, some variants run 3 Atomy + 3 Death's Breath but :laffo:)
Midrange Sword (3 Otohime, 0-1 Tsubaki, 3 Alwida)
Elana Haven (3-5 of Lucifer, Odin, Olivia to taste, 3 Elana, 3 Themis)

yikes tier
Control Blood (3 Bloody Mary, 2-3 Queen Vampire, and also like half the drat deck is golds)
Literally All Forest (3 Ancient Elf, 3 Tia, 3 Roach, 3 Liza, 6-9 other golds based on chosen win conditions)
Control Sword (10+ legendaries between Otohime, Aurelia, Tsubaki, Alexander, Olivia, 3 Frontguard General, 3 Leonidas)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I even managed to summon Atomy on Turn 4 once

Reiterpallasch posted:

Banner/Ohata Sword (3 Alwida)

Reiterpallasch posted:

A version of the deck based around Royal Banner and damage out of hand with Storm minions has largely displaced it these days. Phoneposting but look for a deck called Banner Swordcraft or Ohata Royal.

:eng101: It's really pronounced Mihata when talking about a banner, but Google Translate turns it into Ohata for some reason (probably because that's a surname?)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

trucutru posted:

The spellboost tracks how many times you have spellboosted that particular card. Every time you cast a spell all the cards *in your hand* that can get spellboosted get a bonus, which is displayed in their text.

Yeah, there are some cards that can banish artifacts, not that many tho.

Forced discard as in make somebody else discard cards? Not that I know. But a few of your own cards can force you to discard from your hand.

I don't see the point of the bottom left spellboost indicator then, if it only affects cards in your hands and they dynamically update their values.

As for forced discard, either way, really. I liked Mill (even if it sucks) and Madness decks.

I liked Infect and Slivers a lot too, but well... :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 5, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't see the point of the bottom left spellboost indicator then, if it only affects cards in your hands and they dynamically update their values.

It helps you see how many spellboosts your cards have without having to click on them.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

As for forced discard, either way, really. I liked Mill (even if it sucks) and Madness decks.

Dragons have a mill-from-hand mechanic, but nothing from the deck. And I don't think they have a way to revive what they've milled, it's just 'discard lowest cost card in hand to do a thing/draw 2+'.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
idk about hearthstone, but "mill" in magic refers to burning cards off the top of the opponent's deck, in a generally futile attempt to win by the decking rule

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
shut up, brain freeze players, nobody likes you

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God dammit, just lose a game against a bad player with a bad deck because I didn't know what Leonidas' Resolve did and killed his evolved Leonidas. Switching off of my good sword deck into the beginner decks to try and finish missions really blows, I need to just sit down and make budget decks for all the leaders one of these days.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Look at that hand.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

idk about hearthstone, but "mill" in magic refers to burning cards off the top of the opponent's deck, in a generally futile attempt to win by the decking rule

I had a deck around this and a variety of draw sources. It pissed people off something fierce. :smuggo:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's worth noting i've barely played a game of magic since new netrunner came out

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

My favorite terrible Mill deck was based on Waste Not.

It was a cheap black enchantment that gave you mana, card draw or 2/2 zombies when your opponent discarded land, spells/arifacts/etc or creatures.

It was fun with Drownyard which you could tap to make the other guy discard 3 cards. :v:

My favorite not-terrible Mill deck was based off of the famously not unbalanced card Jace, Mind Sculptor.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, as a one-week newbie with a few legionaries, which kind of pack is considered best to have a good selection of cards to build newbie decks? Original or darkness? I just hoarded 1000r and I want to get the most out of my disappointing rolls.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Finally did my first PvP match, in Ranked because go big or go home, and absolutely stomped another Swordcraft deck. This banner deck is treating me well. :iia:

Also Tsubaki is my waifu hot drat. I see you just played a big giant fucker oops he's gone now.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
Having a Giant Slayer effect on an okay body that also has Ambush really is unfair.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That feeling when you first-pick Rose Queen and get offered like 2 more fairy-making cards the whole draft. Forest's gimmick is big unwieldy fuckin 6-8 drops, right? And what business does an A-rank sword with Tsubaki and Otohime have meeting me in the 2-2 anyway?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

So, as a one-week newbie with a few legionaries, which kind of pack is considered best to have a good selection of cards to build newbie decks? Original or darkness? I just hoarded 1000r and I want to get the most out of my disappointing rolls.

darkness (technically) has a higher ratio of good stuff, but every real deck requires a heap of classic cards anyway, so its pretty moot point. I've been doing about 60:40 classic:darkness.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That feeling when you first-pick Rose Queen and get offered like 2 more fairy-making cards the whole draft. Forest's gimmick is big unwieldy fuckin 6-8 drops, right? And what business does an A-rank sword with Tsubaki and Otohime have meeting me in the 2-2 anyway?

forests gimmick is upending a trashcan full of fairies and finshing them off with rhinoceroach combos. Also be prepared to see legendaries in (almost) every deck; the first and last rounds of drafts are heavily weighted towards rare cards iirc

• Locked thread