Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Farragut with +20% range skill gets a ridiculous 3.9km stealth firing zone. Your shots might not land until next match, so you're pretty much relegated to tossing fire at BBs and hoping for the best. The low fire chance is a little bit of a bummer, but you poo poo shells out so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2AHKjyoIs

Sooo uhh... Are we getting a nerfed to hell iowa for a t8 premium soon. Or are we getting another arp/kamikaze r type mission thing to get ourselves a t9 premium?

Edit: Oh, and in ^^^^ reply. Apparently meta has been shifting such that the SE is actually preferable to even DE on US DDs now. This is mainly because they need to survive what they are doing. As you said, aft just doesn't work on US DDs because the arcs just get worse ranging that much further. It works on rus DDs because their arcs are pretty flat anyway so they can take advantage of it while also giving themselves some extra breathing room (though, the second rus DD skill is SE followed by DE).

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Looks like they relented a bit on the EU Takao mission, T8 ships can now be used as well.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cobbsprite posted:

Farragut with +20% range skill gets a ridiculous 3.9km stealth firing zone. Your shots might not land until next match, so you're pretty much relegated to tossing fire at BBs and hoping for the best. The low fire chance is a little bit of a bummer, but you poo poo shells out so fast.

You should be taking Survivability Expert on US DD's now. Your job is to knife fight other DD's on caps (which do you better than anyone else, especially with SE). If you want to run around and shoot at people from long range, play the Russian DD's.

Also re: BB's, superintendent is probably the best choice. You don't use 5 heals that often but it's more often than you really need DC to be up a few seconds sooner. Vigilance is also an okay choice but the battleships that'd need it the most (Germans, because brawlers) also get hydro.

Furthermore after playing the Amagi for 37 matches (24 wins, 13 losses) in ranked I can with a great deal of confidence say that it is a very strong battleship. It might not brawl as well as the Bismarck but everything else makes up for it. In these matches I've also managed to prove the existence of the borderline mythical creatures that are the Tirpitz and Bismarck citadels. :colbert:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 5, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

Got Kraken Unleashed in my first game with the Bayern. I think we'll get along just fine.

Possibly stupid question: what is the best skill (third tier) to train for BB/Cruiser captains? Superintendent (+1 charge to consumables) or High Alert (-10% damage control reload)? So far I'm choosing the former but I hardly use all the charges of my consumables, while the other seems to be less situational.

I like superintendent because you basically just treat it like a free repair charge, if you're ever thinking "hmm I'm not sure if this merits repairing, it's close" just pop it, gives you a chance to get more dreadnought badges and +20% repair flags which are good for BBs.

Also for things like fires repairing can function kind of like damage control anyway.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
You can repair 100% of fire damage so yes, never pop DC for a single fire. Just repair that poo poo. Two or more fires I DC, or if I'm very low or out of repairs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

The Yorck is a fantastic ship, but a huge deviation from the rest of the line. She has good AE, huge shell arcs that shoot over islands, and low-velocity floating shells.

Only use AP under 9k, for the most part, and the rest HE.

After her the line returns to basically the AP platform you're used to on the German cruiser line.

But yeah, I loved the Yorck so much I let her; however, when I first started playing her I hated her. So give her a few games before you make up your mind.

Thanks for the tips! The Grind does start to feel long here. 21k xp just to get her out of stock

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Saw a Takao in the wild today. :wtc:

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Got another 50k free xp, I'm happy as gently caress.

Saw the Takao in a few matches, didn't really impact the match that much, wasn't really around them.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

TheFluff posted:

You should be taking Survivability Expert on US DD's now. Your job is to knife fight other DD's on caps (which do you better than anyone else, especially with SE). If you want to run around and shoot at people from long range, play the Russian DD's.

There's more to it than playing the game, I think it's as much fun to play the players. CAs and some BBs will break from the group to chase after a DD throwing HE from stealth. In today's Farragut game, after I killed the enemy DD at cap I kited a BB and two CAs away from the main group who were trying to track me down and kill me. I pulled 39K damage, almost all that from fires, and by pulling that much firepower from the fight that mattered, the rest of my team was able to outnumber them and defeat them in detail.

But to be fair, I dropped the RUS DD line at the annoying Tier V one that can't do anything useful. And back six months ago, I think. What does the RUS DD line do well, now?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cobbsprite posted:

There's more to it than playing the game, I think it's as much fun to play the players. CAs and some BBs will break from the group to chase after a DD throwing HE from stealth. In today's Farragut game, after I killed the enemy DD at cap I kited a BB and two CAs away from the main group who were trying to track me down and kill me. I pulled 39K damage, almost all that from fires, and by pulling that much firepower from the fight that mattered, the rest of my team was able to outnumber them and defeat them in detail.

But to be fair, I dropped the RUS DD line at the annoying Tier V one that can't do anything useful. And back six months ago, I think. What does the RUS DD line do well, now?

Yea sorry if I came off as that tryhard rear end in a top hat :spergin:
Pubbies in general behave really weirdly around DD's, I've noticed. Smoke up in a cap basically alone and start shooting at a BB and chances are him and the two cruisers with him will just turn around and peace out of there. They're really scared of smoke and the torpedo boogeyman and really don't want to get close to you. Other times though several ships will try to chase you to the ends of the earth even though they have no hope of catching you.

It was aaaages since I played the Gnevny but I don't remember it being that bad. The Ognevoi (the T6) used to be absolute garbage since it lost turrets permanently if someone as much as looked at you the wrong way but it's actually good now. The Russian DD's are good at being tiny little cruisers that go around at 40-45 knots and constantly harass everyone with HE from >10km. The pubbies can often see you, and they will waste endless shells trying and failing to hit you. From tier 8 and up you also get decent torpedoes. You can't knife fight US DD's but you're faster than they are and if you stay at like 8-10km they have an incredibly hard time hitting you while you can shoot back with ease. Unlike most other DD's you don't necessarily need to take Concealment Expert or in fact any tier 5 skill at all - it may be a better idea to take three tier 4 skills: AFT, Demolition Expert and Survivability Expert.

Aerroon posted a video on the much-maligned Tashkent recently that I found kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miKAH3Mz0ec

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Yea sorry if I came off as that tryhard rear end in a top hat :spergin:
Pubbies in general behave really weirdly around DD's, I've noticed. Smoke up in a cap basically alone and start shooting at a BB and chances are him and the two cruisers with him will just turn around and peace out of there. They're really scared of smoke and the torpedo boogeyman and really don't want to get close to you. Other times though several ships will try to chase you to the ends of the earth even though they have no hope of catching you.

It was aaaages since I played the Gnevny but I don't remember it being that bad. The Ognevoi (the T6) used to be absolute garbage since it lost turrets permanently if someone as much as looked at you the wrong way but it's actually good now. The Russian DD's are good at being tiny little cruisers that go around at 40-45 knots and constantly harass everyone with HE from >10km. The pubbies can often see you, and they will waste endless shells trying and failing to hit you. From tier 8 and up you also get decent torpedoes. You can't knife fight US DD's but you're faster than they are and if you stay at like 8-10km they have an incredibly hard time hitting you while you can shoot back with ease. Unlike most other DD's you don't necessarily need to take Concealment Expert or in fact any tier 5 skill at all - it may be a better idea to take three tier 4 skills: AFT, Demolition Expert and Survivability Expert.

Aerroon posted a video on the much-maligned Tashkent recently that I found kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miKAH3Mz0ec

I was really surprised when I saw ships run from my DD smoking in the cap. When I'm a CA in that position, I charge the smoke. I may eat one torp on the nose, but hydro minimizes that chance. Then I get close enough to spot him (with hydro, minimum detection distance, or him being dumb and poking out), and then I own that fucker. I have no idea why pubbies RUN from me in smoke. It's their big chance to smash me while I'm reloading the tubes. What the hell, pubs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm half tempted to get SE on my Kiev just so it doesn't have a tier 5 health pool.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

I was really surprised when I saw ships run from my DD smoking in the cap. When I'm a CA in that position, I charge the smoke. I may eat one torp on the nose, but hydro minimizes that chance. Then I get close enough to spot him (with hydro, minimum detection distance, or him being dumb and poking out), and then I own that fucker. I have no idea why pubbies RUN from me in smoke. It's their big chance to smash me while I'm reloading the tubes. What the hell, pubs.

Don't charge DDs in smoke if they have friends. All you're doing is giving the DD a free lunch on stealth firing you into a pile of fire, and you're also sailing straight into hostile fire to boot. But yes, if you're 1v1 against a DD, and they DON'T have torps (or killing them would end the game), go right ahead and charge them.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Don't charge DDs in smoke if they have friends. All you're doing is giving the DD a free lunch on stealth firing you into a pile of fire, and you're also sailing straight into hostile fire to boot. But yes, if you're 1v1 against a DD, and they DON'T have torps (or killing them would end the game), go right ahead and charge them.

Or if you're in a Gneisau. At least half the time the DD never fires torps because he's waiting for a broadside and he's so sure that'll you'll turn away because only a madman BB would charge smoke, and then suddenly he's spotted and a dozen HE shells cripple him/DD gets torped/DD gets rammed.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Well, yeah. If there are other ships that will punish me for being the closest target, I'm going to avoid being the closest target.

Got my first luck torpedo sinking, yesterday. Noodling around in the Fletcher, enemy Hatsu is playing hide-and-go-seek around an island. He is dancing back and forth on either side of it, trying to lure me out of the cap before I finish taking it, but afraid of my guns. I threw torps at either side of the island he was peeking around. I didn't see him, but I got a torpedo hit ribbon and Devastating Strike.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

AfroSquirrel posted:

Or if you're in a Gneisau. At least half the time the DD never fires torps because he's waiting for a broadside and he's so sure that'll you'll turn away because only a madman BB would charge smoke, and then suddenly he's spotted and a dozen HE shells cripple him/DD gets torped/DD gets rammed.

Unless you alpha the DD, a bow on BB (especially germans) will take a LOT of point blank torps. Ur just TOO FAT. Don't charge DDs in smoke clouds in BBs. EVER. Not even if you have torps of your own. It is not worth it. Stop your ship if you have to, but stay at range, the spreads widen and you will take less torps. Your guns are pretty accurate at sub 5km ranges, but once you hit the 2km range it is beyond voodoo magicks if your shells will hit, because you are dealing with guns firing from different angles to your target, even in superfiring mounts.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've been so close to a Benson in the Amagi that neither my main guns nor my secondaries could depress enough to hit him. That was awkward. We were there for maybe 30 seconds with him squeezed in between me and an island, but when he got out and a little bit away to launch torps I oneshot him. Would not recommend.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 5, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is the Takao anything other than an Atago clone that you can earn for free?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So is the Takao anything other than an Atago clone that you can earn for free?

A slightly inferior Atago (no permaflage or option to even put camo on, ARP captains only) that is covered in anime bullshit. Other than that, yeah, its an Atago.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Word of warning for the CV missions, I got a bug while finishing a portion of it: I cleared the bombing requirement but the Missions section of the home page did not update, leaving my completion total stuck at the number of hits I'd done before the game where I completed it, nor was the overall mission updated showing that portion was complete. Closing the game and reopening it correctly updated it though, so if you think you've completed that section and it's just not going away, try reloading.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

AfroSquirrel posted:

Oh so you were in the match with me where I drove into a DD cloud and unloaded my torps into a lucky destroyer that was in the wrong place and got obliterated by me? It managed to miss all it's torps at close range when I turned into it. RIP. And I was called hacker for my efforts because driving into smoke and spotting a stationary destroyer under 1km and dodging is hacking.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Fixed front firing torpedo tubes would be fun. Lets get some of that going.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Better yet, let's get really old school. Torpedoes mounted on a lance extending from the bow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Are there any ships that have a very forward firing arc for the torps?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Used up three of my daily "You're a poo poo player and you should feel bad about it" reports in the first battle, it's going to be a great day.

Are there any ships that have a very forward firing arc for the torps?

Only the bathtub boats

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Those reports dont even do anything in ranked. Case in point every lexington game I lost (most of them) ended with me yelling "You'll never take me alive!" and then bombing myself to death followed by everyone on my team exploding into rage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Those reports dont even do anything in ranked. Case in point every lexington game I lost (most of them) ended with me yelling "You'll never take me alive!" and then bombing myself to death followed by everyone on my team exploding into rage.

If you're bombing yourself to death to spite the other team and set your deck on fire, do you leave it burning to tick damage down, or do you put it out so you can land and relaunch your planes and bomb yourself again?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

When we are clearly about to lose I bomb myself. 2 full bomber squadrons on a stationary lexington is a very quick death.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Belfast: I have Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Warspite, Leningrad, and Sims. Should I even bother with it? Yes, I'm a whale.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm a total whale / sucker in this game, especially for museum ships that I actually visited. It doesn't hurt that botes premiums are similar to their fully upgraded regular tier siblings. The Belfast is a lot of fun too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I finally got my first supercrate! It contained 250 flags that increase the chance to cause flooding by 15%, and detonation risk by 5% :what:

Then I opened a regular lucky crate, and got 5 more of the same flag :suicide:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:lol:
Now I wish I could get my patrol plane to kamikaze me whenever I'm playing CAs.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

A PT boat with three respawns would be awesome.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

What do the "report player for being a bad player" do in any mode? Can't be much. It's not like Wargaming could start banning people for being pubbies, or the player base would evaporate.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ah back down to rank 7 from rank 4. This has been a disastrous day.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ah back down to rank 7 from rank 4. This has been a disastrous day.

I dunno what people do to get these enormous losing streaks, when I do bad I just keep bouncing up and down. I've been going back and forth between rank 5 4 stars and rank 4 2 stars all day yesterday and today.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

What do the "report player for being a bad player" do in any mode? Can't be much. It's not like Wargaming could start banning people for being pubbies, or the player base would evaporate.

It affects your Karma score. I think it's simply Compliments - Reports = Karma. I don't know if getting a large number of reports will get you a temp ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Rank 8