Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
finally a hero i can fight better with my lovely aim!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Sneaking up on a 200HP support, unloading a clip in their head and instantly teleport to safety doesn't sound very fun tbh.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
You can hear and see Tracer coming from a mile away though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does sombra's stealth also silence her footsteps

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kai Tave posted:

You've just basically described Tracer.

Tracer can't sneak into the back line while invisible, prevent healers from using their abilities, easily kill them and then teleport away.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I think the actual impact of Sombra's invisibility is going to wind up being overstated because Tracer and Genji both pretty handily demonstrate that you don't need literal invisibility to repeatedly sneak around to someone's backline and gank their healers.

Foxhound posted:

You can hear and see Tracer coming from a mile away though.

Somehow this doesn't stop good Tracer players from merrily mulching supports though, nor does "well you can see the Tracer coming" seem to be that much of a balm to those who routinely find themselves frustrated by her. The point is that if your concern is an offense hero that's good at quickly swooping in and ganking supports, that ship has long since sailed several times over. Also to be honest, and I realize I'm as much in the dark as anyone else re: how Sombra actually plays, from watching people at Blizzcon play her it seems like if your primary goal is to murder the gently caress out of the other team that Tracer is still going to be the better choice.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 5, 2016

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Ehud posted:

Tracer can't sneak into the back line while invisible, prevent healers from using their abilities, easily kill them and then teleport away.

If your supports have so little protection that sombra gets in los of them to hack them (which can be interrupted by shooting her) and then shoots them in peace, a more damaging flanker could use their mobility to get in there and just straight up murder them though?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

However with her being DPS I'll probably never get to play her because she will get slam picked for the first month or so forever

ftfy

It's a class that can cloak, counter ults, deny health boxes, see through walls, and has an excellent escape tool. If you don't have a $2500 computer, you'll never get to select her.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

ftfy

It's a class that can cloak, counter ults, deny health boxes, see through walls, and has an excellent escape tool. If you don't have a $2500 computer, you'll never get to select her.

Until the inevitable backlash when it turns out Sombra isn't as good as everyone thinks she is and then everyone spends the entire game bitching about Sombra mains and reporting them for griefing.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sombra does a lot less less DPS than Tracer but can shoot forever.

Translocator lasts 15 seconds and then has a 6 second cool down when used. The beacon cannot be destroyed. It dispels discord on yourself when you teleport. Not sure if it dispels other debuffs. It's your only real getaway tool and also your vertical mobility tool.

Stealth takes like 1 second to begin, and takes another second or so to exit before you can shoot or hack. I forget the duration and cooldown. Stealth doesn't last too long and the cooldown isn't long either. You can be shot out of it as it starts up so it's not a good getaway tool if you're already under fire.

Hacking takes a second but is interrupted by damage. 12 second cooldown regardless of hacking a medkit or player.

EMP kills blue health shields (Zen, Zarya, Symmetra) and should also delete Lucio sound barrier shields. When hacked, you can't do anything except left click.

Tl;Dr she's brutal if you can get clutch hacks and ganks on low HP players due to her wall hack. But she has way less actual damage output than any other offense character.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 5, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Stealth cooldown is 6 seconds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fadam posted:

She's a better costume and some lightning attacks away from just being a purple Laua fam. It's shameless
she doesn't look at Laura at all except for her hair fam

^this does not look like sombra

though tbf this

is her vs. overwatch meta as soon as she's released

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 5, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bogart posted:

We've literally not seen this character actually played in an actual game environment. And yet: goons already whining.
can't believe people have been complaining for like months about how ult-centric the game is and how frequently people get ults, and now everyone's pissed that there's going to be a character who can do something about ults(situationally, some ults more than others)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is there a sound cue when Sombra drops out of stealth? That's the kind of thing that would trigger the same panic response as angry Japanese yelling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mokinokaro posted:

The ult will be made or broken by the range.
And also cast time. If it has a long-ish animation before finishing it will be hard to get off without team support.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

sombra has no idea who mcree is.

McCree is a cowboy he's not important to anything in 2192 or whenever this is

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AndyElusive posted:

If the complaining going on in this thread is indicative of the complaining going on in Reddit or the Blizzforums based on footage of a guy schooling a bunch of newbies then what are the chances of us seeing Sombroke getting a day 1 nerf?
Reddit is actually like, universally positive thus far and I don't know why this thread is so full of whiny babies

CJacobs posted:

Who gives a poo poo? If that happens just leave.
I would rather not because it's an annoying waste of time to play against hero stacking, or to re-queue, and it feels bad to ditch your teammates when a new joiner won't always show back up.

Why would anyone want hero stacking, is the better question? The first time you do it it's sorta funny and then you realize it just kinda sucks

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 5, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

And also cast time. If it has a long-ish animation before finishing it will be hard to get off without team support.

It's nearly instant and hits a pretty large area. The gameplay trailer adds drama with one of her highlight intros.

Remember, it does no damage on its own (unless you count shield damage, because it leaves Zen with 50 hp) so it needs team support regardless.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

IronicDongz posted:

is her vs. overwatch meta as soon as she's released

lmao at the thought this is "a better costume."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
SFV character design is embarrassing as gently caress.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ToastyPotato posted:

SFV character design is embarrassing as gently caress.

Japan

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
interesting that they thought torb needed another nerf

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spoilers for tomorrow's world cup grand finals: south korea will shut out russia without losing a map. I'm here to save anyone that hadn't been watching but were still curious from wasting their time

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's with South Korea being so good at Overwatch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Help Im Alive posted:

What's with South Korea being so good at Overwatch
they're really good at most competitive games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well a few things

first off, they got a way better team voted in. presumably because the people that voted actually cared about them winning, rather than just getting their favorite streamer on the team or because they'd never looked into it at all and just went for who they recognized. second, they didn't go into it just expecting to win like the favorite euro teams (sweden and finland were acting like they were obviously gonna be in the finals no matter what the whole tournament). third, they probably actually practiced as a team outside of matches, which I really really doubt any of the western teams did. amd finally, apparently the koreans study the western teams hard so they knew what to expect a lot better than anyone else going in. they just wanted it more

like it was the same with rogue in china. they absolutely expected to roll the asian teams and the koreans caught them off guard, but in the grand finals rogue crushed them. you don't get that chance here tho and even the best teams are pretty weird for the west

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I thought to myself "Hahaha! She fucks Reinhardt. Finally that fun-murdering bastard gets his comeuppance"

And then I thought about her kit and Reinhardt's kit and, how, even if she successfully hacks him, he'll just flail blindly at her three times and kill her.

And I died a little inside.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Veryslightlymad posted:

I thought to myself "Hahaha! She fucks Reinhardt. Finally that fun-murdering bastard gets his comeuppance"

And then I thought about her kit and Reinhardt's kit and, how, even if she successfully hacks him, he'll just flail blindly at her three times and kill her.

And I died a little inside.

That's what the translocater is for.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, apparently the Korean team are all in the top 1-3 ranks for their classes. Their coach also did his research for the last three spots instead of selecting YouTube rejects like all the other countries.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Also, I find it odd that people are calling her Tracer + before she's even truly out, when it seems like Tracer might be one of the most effective counters to her in the game.

Namely, she can spam a lot of bullets in a lot of directions really, really fast, and it seems like a tracer that finds herself hacked by anything other than the ult is a very bad Tracer

EDIT

Also, I think she'll be better than expected against Mei. Shoot a translocator behind her, shoot her until she cryofreezes, hack her, now she's not healed and can't wall off to escape, if she starts to freeze you, teleport to your pod and then finish her. I think she has the potential to give Mei fits.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Veryslightlymad posted:

Also, I find it odd that people are calling her Tracer + before she's even truly out, when it seems like Tracer might be one of the most effective counters to her in the game.

Namely, she can spam a lot of bullets in a lot of directions really, really fast, and it seems like a tracer that finds herself hacked by anything other than the ult is a very bad Tracer

Tracer shouldn't really be spamming wildly though. Like you can do it but it's really not very effective and sort of a big waste of time that's likely to leave you needing to reload at a bad moment, sort of like people who try to snipe with Reaper's shotguns. Probably the best "can really ruin this character's day easily" counter to Sombra looks to be Winston, who has an area-effect weapon that can knock her out of cloaking and hacking, after which Sombra's only hope is that her translocator is pre-placed and still active or, I guess, that she's camped out on a hacked healthpack station.

I mean I agree that she doesn't really look like "Tracer but better" either, Tracer's ability to blink around mid-fight and high burst DPS seem like she's still going to be the queen of the teleporting offensive support-murderers.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

You can't hack her during ice block.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tracer's not going to be an ideal "spy checker" because despite the spread of her guns, her clip empties so fast.

Winston (continuous auto-targeting damage) and D.Va (huge spread with infinite clip) will be much better at it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Tracer's not going to be an ideal "spy checker" because despite the spread of her guns, her clip empties so fast.

Winston (continuous auto-targeting damage) and D.Va (huge spread with infinite clip) will be much better at it.

plus roadhog's hook and cook is going to be as effective for her as it is for any 200hp hero and below. if she cloaks up behind him she can probably get a hack off but then she's in shotgun range of the roadhog anyhow.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

rumble in the bunghole posted:

sombra has no idea who mcree is.

Anyone pointed out the guardian omnic connected to Rein in the top left?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

plus roadhog's hook and cook is going to be as effective for her as it is for any 200hp hero and below. if she cloaks up behind him she can probably get a hack off but then she's in shotgun range of the roadhog anyhow.

Yeah, my guess is "underestimated the effective range of Roadhog's hook and/or M2 shot" is going to be the cause of death for a lot of imprudent Sombras in the days to come.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT

Also, I think she'll be better than expected against Mei. Shoot a translocator behind her, shoot her until she cryofreezes, hack her, now she's not healed and can't wall off to escape, if she starts to freeze you, teleport to your pod and then finish her. I think she has the potential to give Mei fits.

I don't think hacking other players is going to be a significant part of her kit, it looks like one of those things that you'll only pull off against players who are so much worse than you that you would kill them anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Papercut posted:

I don't think hacking other players is going to be a significant part of her kit, it looks like one of those things that you'll only pull off against players who are so much worse than you that you would kill them anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. It's like a mini-Deadeye; you need a few seconds of distraction to pull it off. You're not likely to win a 1v1 with it but that's not necessarily the point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

especially considering how grossly effective her hacking of medkits seems to be for the moment, using it on players looks like the less effective proposition

provided they tune the medkit thing down (which i can't imagine they won't) making it a hero silence thing seems like a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't go that far. It's like a mini-Deadeye; you need a few seconds of distraction to pull it off. You're not likely to win a 1v1 with it but that's not necessarily the point.

Yeah, just the threat of being hacked is enough to force, say, Reinhardt to reposition to focus his shield on you, leaving him exposed to your team. Good Rein players are able to ignore someone plinking them with damage in favor of keeping the shield pointed where it needs to be, but Sombra forces the issue...you either turn to block her hack or you lose the shield (and your other abilities) altogether.