Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Outrail posted:

"“Mathers can argue, though, that a person has no expectation of privacy in the locker room when they are undressed and that the prosecution is simply trying to stick a square peg in a round hole because they don’t have the evidence for the charge they really want to prove…,” he said."

Uh, yeah. I think I can have a reasonable expectation of privacy to the extent that people shouldn't take photos of me in a locker room, they don't have windows for a reason you loving moron.

I suppose there is an argument that a locker room is "public" vs your private bathroom, but I really doubt that would hold and I really hope it won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Was that before or after the hotdog?

1 Beer: Discombobulation

1 Hotdog: Death

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Fist of all, the San Francisco city budget last year was just short of 10 Billion dollars. That's the GDP of a nation. So let's not pretend that there's simply no way that we can afford a couple more police officers.

And there's also the point that much of the high end residential real estate in San Francisco changes hands fairly frequently. Take a look at Sea Cliff:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/recentl...986_rect/15_zm/

Houses around here often change hands ever few years. And they get re-appraised at the selling price. And then, people frequently 'renovate' perfectly good homes. That will cost you tens of thousands in permit fees and then you get re-appraised at an even higher value.

Sure, the homes in neighborhoods like Sea Cliff, and Pacific Heights, and St. Francis Francis Wood, are at the top of the market but the same thing is happening all over the city.

Is it fair?

Well, I have neighbors who bought condo's for $200,000 twenty five years ago. Now they're in their late 50's to mid-80's. Their one and two bedroom condos are worth anything form $800,000 to a $1,000,000. That's because real estate prices have gone up much faster than the core rate of inflation.

These folks are regular, every day, 9-5 workers. The older ones are finding it very difficult to make ends meet. Their Social Security check sure as hell didn't grow at the same rate as the real estate prices grew.

Is it fair to them to demand that they pay a metric gently caress ton of property tax? The one's who did have kids paid their fair share when they bought their condo. Their kid's are long past the age when they're in school. Should my 80 year old, widowed neighbor living on Social Security have to pay ever increasing property tax to put some 30-something year old couple's kids though school?

What about the people who don't have kids?

Shouldn't the taxes you pay be proportional to the services you demand?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I can really hear a low-pitched, slow, "MY BABIES!!" as the parent rushes in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HawkHill posted:

Fist of all, the San Francisco city budget last year was just short of 10 Billion dollars. That's the GDP of a nation. So let's not pretend that there's simply no way that we can afford a couple more police officers.

And there's also the point that much of the high end residential real estate in San Francisco changes hands fairly frequently. Take a look at Sea Cliff:

Houses around here often change hands ever few years. And they get re-appraised at the selling price. And then, people frequently 'renovate' perfectly good homes. That will cost you tens of thousands in permit fees and then you get re-appraised at an even higher value.

Sure, the homes in neighborhoods like Sea Cliff, and Pacific Heights, and St. Francis Francis Wood, are at the top of the market but the same thing is happening all over the city.

Is it fair?

Well, I have neighbors who bought condo's for $200,000 twenty five years ago. Now they're in their late 50's to mid-80's. Their one and two bedroom condos are worth anything form $800,000 to a $1,000,000. That's because real estate prices have gone up much faster than the core rate of inflation.

These folks are regular, every day, 9-5 workers. The older ones are finding it very difficult to make ends meet. Their Social Security check sure as hell didn't grow at the same rate as the real estate prices grew.

Is it fair to them to demand that they pay a metric gently caress ton of property tax? The one's who did have kids paid their fair share when they bought their condo. Their kid's are long past the age when they're in school. Should my 80 year old, widowed neighbor living on Social Security have to pay ever increasing property tax to put some 30-something year old couple's kids though school?

Sorry I can't tell if you're dumb or sarcastic so: yeah but it kinda is fair that they pay the taxes on the property they own. That its increased in value is what it is. The fact that some property taxes have been stationary because of weird California laws doesn't mean that that is the way it should be.

All marketable property (whatever if its real estate, paper, items) should be taxed, & the inheritance of it too. Money in motion is good for society. Money in a bundle under a mattress is worthless except for the horrible person who put them there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HawkHill posted:

Is it fair?

No.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

HawkHill posted:

Is it fair?

PYF isn't the place for this particular derail, and I am not the absolute most qualified, but the grannies that people clutch their pearls about could be taken care of in a fair reform of California property tax rules, which could delay the accumulated tax due until mortality of the poor millionaire real estate mogul who's skill was being born in the correct decade. Which is as likely to happen as a meteor is likely to hit the powerball jackpot. In any case, commercial property, family trusts, and other stupid poo poo which enables the transfer of the brokenly low assessment which has materially damaged the state should not. be. a. thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

crossing my fingers, but hopefully the schadenfreude will be all the absentee landlords having to eat a huge increase in taxes & then trying to sell it off but the market has changed so they wont get what they paid

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

crossing my fingers, but hopefully the schadenfreude will be all the absentee landlords having to eat a huge increase in taxes & then trying to sell it off but the market has changed so they wont get what they paid

A beautiful dream.

Sigh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HawkHill posted:

Is it fair?

Source your quotes

otherwise lol

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

http://i.imgur.com/G63OTmD.mp4

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Source your quotes

otherwise lol

Yeah, Google is so darned difficult to use.

Here, try clicking on this link: http://sfmayor.org/ftp/Budget2016/CSF_Budget_Book_2016_FINAL_WEB_with%20cover%20page.pdf

Jump to page 11 for the summary.

I gave you the link to the housing info that I claimed. Click it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NOBODY CARES ABOUT PROPERTY TAX POLICIES IN SAN FRANCISCO :suicide:

jesus christ.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HawkHill posted:

Yeah, Google is so darned difficult to use.

no dude, "source your quotes" means "this is dumb as gently caress, please tell me you're just copypasting idiocy". it doesnt mean "hey lemme know where those swell arguments are from". nobody cares about the original source. we just wanna know if youre the dumb or youre quoting a dumb.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Powaqoatse posted:

Was that before or after the hotdog?

Why not during?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

HawkHill posted:

Is it fair?

Google Ron Paul

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
"Clutch their pearls", really?

In my building of 13 units, you're talking about three of my neighbors. Getting old sucks in many ways and it's loving expensive. Elder poverty is a real thing, especially when you live in a place where the cost of living far out strips retirement benefits.

They're not deriving any benefit from the fact that their condo now has a much higher paper value. Why should they be paying ever increasing tax on it at this point? It's not income. What you're proposing is taxing unrealized capital gains. We don't tax unrealized capital gains. We tax realized capital gains.

Trusts don't allow you to avoid taxes forever. The tax hit still comes at some point.

http://finance.zacks.com/pay-taxes-sale-home-trust-7676.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

get hosed

theres 2 options re taxes when youre old: 1 pay them, 2 dont pay them but let your inheritors pay them

thats it

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

no dude, "source your quotes" means "this is dumb as gently caress, please tell me you're just copypasting idiocy". it doesnt mean "hey lemme know where those swell arguments are from". nobody cares about the original source. we just wanna know if youre the dumb or youre quoting a dumb.

How about responding to the facts rather than resorting to school yard name calling?

Yeah, senor poverty is dumb.

Tax policy is dumb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

see above, also gently caress you lol

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

HawkHill posted:

How about responding to the facts rather than resorting to school yard name calling?

Yeah, senor poverty is dumb.

Tax policy is dumb.

The fact is that you sound like a "gently caress You, Got Mine" rear end in a top hat that's part of the problem.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just wait until this guy hears about the idea of estate tax

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

HawkHill posted:

"Clutch their pearls", really?

In my building of 13 units, you're talking about three of my neighbors. Getting old sucks in many ways and it's loving expensive. Elder poverty is a real thing, especially when you live in a place where the cost of living far out strips retirement benefits.

They're not deriving any benefit from the fact that their condo now has a much higher paper value. Why should they be paying ever increasing tax on it at this point? It's not income. What you're proposing is taxing unrealized capital gains. We don't tax unrealized capital gains. We tax realized capital gains.

Trusts don't allow you to avoid taxes forever. The tax hit still comes at some point.

http://finance.zacks.com/pay-taxes-sale-home-trust-7676.html

Uh huh yeah sure also you're a loving idiot who doesn't think everyone should pay for schools and furthermore,

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hot dogs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hotdogs are so delicious

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

get hosed

theres 2 options re taxes when youre old: 1 pay them, 2 dont pay them but let your inheritors pay them

thats it

What's with the 'get hosed'?

Yeah, my neighbors are paying their taxes. And their estates will also pay taxes when these people die. That's pretty much the way it works. At no point did I even come close to suggesting that this shouldn't happen. So what was the point to that little outburst?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol people who own $1m condos but are too stubborn to sell them don't get to claim poverty ffs

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

The fact is that you sound like a "gently caress You, Got Mine" rear end in a top hat that's part of the problem.

Go back and read what I wrote. I never said anything like that.

I'm talking about the reality that we don't tax unrealized capital gains. We tax realized capital gains. That's a fundamental principle of our tax laws. They don't 'got it' until they realize it. The fact that their condo is worth more on paper doesn't put food on their plate or clothes on their back. I haven't said one word against estate taxes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HawkHill posted:

Fist of all, the San Francisco city budget last year was just short of 10 Billion dollars. That's the GDP of a nation.

That's ten entire billions, people!

My god, they could pave that bridge of theirs with real gold with that kind of money!

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Noctone posted:

lol people who own $1m condos but are too stubborn to sell them don't get to claim poverty ffs

Lot's of people do sell them. But then what do you do? Housing is crazy expensive in San Francisco. Trading to another place is just a zero sum game. So you have to take that money and move somewhere less expensive. And people do that. And then they pay capital gains tax on the non-excluded portion of the gains.

But there's this thing called community. Lot's of old people don't want to leave theirs. Probably because they have strong family and community ties to the place they've liven in for decades. Change is hard when you're old.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's ten entire billions, people!

My god, they could pave that bridge of theirs with real gold with that kind of money!

I was addressing the idea that somehow the city couldn't afford adequate policing. Clearly it's a matter of priorities rather than a substantial lack of cash. That was the point.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Uh huh yeah sure also you're a loving idiot who doesn't think everyone should pay for schools and furthermore,

Troll a little harder.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nice meltdown

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

just wait until this guy hears about the idea of estate tax

Estate taxes are a necessary part of our tax system. It's much in the vein of how we treat capital gains taxes.

The exclusions make it so that most estates don't pay estate taxes.

I have zero respect for politicians who play the 'death tax' card.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That is so interesting and also generating just massive amounts of Schadenfreude for me that I would like to shake your hand and thank you personally. Tremendous, just outstanding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hawkhill, you're getting hysterical. Have a glass of wine and calm down before posting again.

TotalLossBrain posted:

That is so interesting and also generating just massive amounts of Schadenfreude for me that I would like to shake your hand and thank you personally. Tremendous, just outstanding.

I could say the same thing to you. Be the change you want to see in the world.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Open faced sandwiches

man_kicks_kid.gif

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HawkHill posted:

I was addressing the idea that somehow the city couldn't afford adequate policing. Clearly it's a matter of priorities rather than a substantial lack of cash. That was the point.

And I was addressing the idea that TEN ENTIRE BILLIONS is, in any way, a large amount of money for first world city like San Fran.

It's loving couch change, kid.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

HawkHill posted:

Lot's of people do sell them. But then what do you do? Housing is crazy expensive in San Francisco. Trading to another place is just a zero sum game. So you have to take that money and move somewhere less expensive. And people do that. And then they pay capital gains tax on the non-excluded portion of the gains.

But there's this thing called community. Lot's of old people don't want to leave theirs. Probably because they have strong family and community ties to the place they've liven in for decades. Change is hard when you're old.

tough titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Come down off the ledge, thread. It doesn't have to be this way, there's so much still to live for!