Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
pee pee poo poo he is a bad writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
i love von balthasar but his bits about the gendered petrine (leading) and marian (submitting) aspects of the Church lead straight into theology of the body and we all know how that turned out. that said, i think a lot of his stuff is fantastic and Dare We Hope "That All Men Be Saved"? is probably one of the best treatments of the doctrine of judgment ever published. "we don't get to know that everyone is saved, but we're morally bound to hope so" is a position i can very much get on board with. also he's a cranky german who's pretty clearly much smarter than many of his detractors and knows it and doesn't hesitate to administer bitchy academic footnotes, and bitchy academic footnotes are the primal tongue of my soul

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
you know what you right i forgot about how much poo poo he talked about augustine in his footnotes, balthasar is cool

though drat dawg maybe don't quote half a chapter of dostoyevsky in the middle of your book that poo poo is bad formatting at the LEAST

basically i blame balthasar for my bad habit of overquoting everything

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bel_Canto posted:

i love von balthasar but his bits about the gendered petrine (leading) and marian (submitting) aspects of the Church lead straight into theology of the body and we all know how that turned out. that said, i think a lot of his stuff is fantastic and Dare We Hope "That All Men Be Saved"? is probably one of the best treatments of the doctrine of judgment ever published. "we don't get to know that everyone is saved, but we're morally bound to hope so" is a position i can very much get on board with. also he's a cranky german who's pretty clearly much smarter than many of his detractors and knows it and doesn't hesitate to administer bitchy academic footnotes, and bitchy academic footnotes are the primal tongue of my soul

I loved when he would anticipate then Cardinal Ratzinger's possible objections, and so would immediately follow his argument with a quotation from Ratzinger that supported it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i went on an internet first date tonight and for some drat reason we spent like 20 minutes discussing theology and church politics. imo the reason this poo poo happens is that you fuckers have ruined my brain. but also, on the other hand, you have given me enough knowledge about Catholic things to still get a kiss at the end of the night. i am not making this up

edit: side note her childhood beagle was named after a dostoevsky character. GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHRISTIANITY THREAD

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 5, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i went on an internet first date tonight and for some drat reason we spent like 20 minutes discussing theology and church politics. imo the reason this poo poo happens is that you fuckers have ruined my brain. but also, on the other hand, you have given me enough knowledge about Catholic things to still get a kiss at the end of the night. i am not making this up

:dance: Glad to be of service.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lutha Mahtin posted:

edit: side note her childhood beagle was named after a dostoevsky character. GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHRISTIANITY THREAD

Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and ye shall find

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and ye shall find

If I was gonna do scripture it be something particularly juicy from Song of Songs.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If I was gonna do scripture it be something particularly juicy from Song of Songs.

Song of Solomon blows

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Good books of the Old Testament, rated by me

Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Job, Psalms, Judges, Ruth, Isaiah, Daniel, Jeremiah

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only thing my knowledge of theology got me on a first date was an accusation that i was a nazi so good on you lutha mahtin

and which dostoyevsky character this is important

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Song of Solomon blows

Do Orthodox call it that? That's what my grandfather called it, so did that just not get translated when you converted? (It took me forever not to call Augustine "ah-gus-TEEN" thanks to the Bob Dylan song.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ecclesiastes is pretty much goon.txt and i love it for exactly this reason

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"heh so i went and studied for years and years, right? then i applied this knowledge to the world and cuck cuck :getin: DEATH IS CERTAIN lmao"

this is basically the conclusion of ecclesiastes chapter 1

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Do Orthodox call it that? That's what my grandfather called it, so did that just not get translated when you converted? (It took me forever not to call Augustine "ah-gus-TEEN" thanks to the Bob Dylan song.)

It's what protestants call it

It'll be song of Solomon forever to me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"heh so i went and studied for years and years, right? then i applied this knowledge to the world and cuck cuck :getin: DEATH IS CERTAIN lmao"

this is basically the conclusion of ecclesiastes chapter 1

I once went to a church and the pastor preached out of Ecclesiastes

His sermon was basically life sucks and you will be in pain your whole life. You deserve this pain and the only solace you have is to pray for death

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Life'll kill ya

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It was that preacher's last day at the church and this was his way of telling everyone there to go gently caress themselves

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

marian (submitting)
the Queen of Heaven, Tower of Ivory (etc), lord and patron of the armies of several nations? that mary? are you sure he didn't mean another mary?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

the Queen of Heaven, Tower of Ivory (etc), lord and patron of the armies of several nations? that mary? are you sure he didn't mean another mary?

This Mary I'd think:

Magnificat posted:

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Not to get into the discussion on if and how Mary can be considered "submitting" within Catholic doctrine, let me just list a couple of her titles real quick to weird out our Protestant friends itt: :v:

• Mary
  • Full of Grace
  • Mother of God
  • Ever-virgin
  • Most Blessed Virgin
  • Spouse of the Holy Spirit
  • Queen Conceived Without Original Sin
  • Queen Assumed into Heaven
  • Queen of Heaven
  • New Eve
  • Help of Christians
  • Star of the Sea
  • Cause of our Salvation
  • Most Holy
  • Most Pure
  • Immaculate
  • Mother of Victory
  • Queen of Peace
  • She Who Shows the Way
  • Throne of Wisdom
  • Mother of Mercy
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • Ark of the Covenant
  • Comfort of the Afflicted
  • Gate of Heaven
  • Health of the Sick
  • Morning Star
  • Mother of the Church
  • Mystical Rose
  • Our Lady of Charity
  • Our Lady of Compassion
  • Our Lady of Confidence
  • Our Lady of Good Success
  • Our Lady of Grace
  • Our Lady of Light
  • Our Lady of Peace
  • Our Lady of Prompt Succor
  • Our Lady of Providence
  • Our Lady of Ransom
  • Our Lady of Solitude
  • Queen of Apostles
  • Queen of Confessors
  • Queen of Families
  • Queen of Patriarchs
  • Queen of Prophets
  • Queen of Virgins
  • Queen of All Saints
  • Queen of Poland
  • Refuge of Sinners
  • Salvation of the People of Rome
  • Tower of David
  • Untier of Knots
  • Mother of Good Counsel
  • Mother Thrice Admirable
  • Life-giving Spring
  • The Queen Who is by the Right Side of the King
  • She Who has Faith
  • She Who Prostrates to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Bows Down to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Was Purified
  • She Who Is Chosen
  • Light
  • Mother of Light
  • She who fasts
  • She who never sinned
  • Ivory Tower
  • Golden Home
  • Salvation of the Sick
  • Chalice of the Spirit
  • She Who Treads Down on Snakes
  • Seat of Wisdom
  • Mirror of Justice
  • Temple of the Holy Spirit
  • Cause of Our Joy

Also she's the patroness of (amongst others)
  • airplance crews
  • bicyclists
  • blood donors
  • boatmen
  • clothworkers
  • coffeehouse keepers and owners
  • construction workers
  • cooks
  • coopers
  • crusaders
  • distillers
  • drapers
  • the Enlightenment
  • fishermen
  • fish dealers
  • goldsmiths
  • harness makers
  • lamp makers
  • monks
  • mothers
  • navigators
  • needle and pin makers
  • news sellers
  • nuns
  • potters
  • restaurateurs
  • ribbon makers
  • sailors
  • silk workers
  • silversmiths
  • tapestry workers
  • travellers
  • tilemakers
  • upholsterers
  • virgins
  • yachtsmen
  • a fuckton of places, dioceses and countries
  • several armies and navies all over the world
  • Europe
  • Mankind

I also put a couple of Islamic titles of her in the list, I didn't know that apparently their devotion to Mary was that pronounced as well!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I also put a couple of Islamic titles of her in the list, I didn't know that apparently their devotion to Mary was that pronounced as well!

The Quran has more to say about Mary than the Bible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ya muslims loving love her, i think they also venerate her tomb

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Spacewolf posted:

Actually, Orthodox and Catholic goons, that's a good question - are we screwed if someone blows up the diocesan chancery and takes out the records of, say, baptismal certificates not held by a parish?

I don't think it would be a problem but also I don't think we have baptismal certificates. That's a weird concept to me tbh.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i mean i said it was bad theology

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My Bible readthrough is finally out of Leviticus. And it was interesting but I still got bogged down. Holy crap I'm glad to be approaching the bits with talking donkeys and stuff.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HopperUK posted:

My Bible readthrough is finally out of Leviticus. And it was interesting but I still got bogged down. Holy crap I'm glad to be approaching the bits with talking donkeys and stuff.

once you get past numbers it picks up

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 5, 2016

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Good books of the Old Testament, rated by me

Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Job, Psalms, Judges, Ruth, Isaiah, Daniel, Jeremiah

Kings and Samuel are good, although extremely confusing and difficult to follow. I mean, Genesis and Exodus are good as well.

You probably shouldn't read all the prophets one after the other the way I did because they all kind of run together in my mind.

Smoking Crow posted:

I once went to a church and the pastor preached out of Ecclesiastes

His sermon was basically life sucks and you will be in pain your whole life. You deserve this pain and the only solace you have is to pray for death

I mean, if you are experiencing hardships I think Ecclesiastes has a lot to say to you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/hsjoihs/status/792206474902515712

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
JavaScript was Christianity......!?

if i bothered ot look up the kanji i don't know i could probably read the rest of it but eh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the joke is that the question "does zero equal zero?" in a computer language is something that should be very straightforward and easy, not something that rises to the level of a complex doctrine like that of the Trinity

edit:

in even simpler terms, the joke essentially boils down to "pee pee, doo doo, javascript is the antichrist"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
look man i'm just a bitch learning japanese trying to read that japanese tweet that was mostly kana

unfortunately i don't recognize that verb form so i can't actually read it even if i did know those kanji lol i've been studying for two months four hours a day five days a week with a tutor and i can't read a tweet that sucks

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I was in Japan for two years and I can't read it.

To be fair, this is a case of me sucking.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Japanese is bad but this is easy:

(Now that you mention it, I forgot to upload this to Twitter)
JavaScript is Christian...!? #JavaScript #JavaScript is bullshit #trinity

JcDent
May 13, 2013

pidan posted:

Do people stop using JavaScript because they can't understand the trinity of 0s?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

Isn't だた the past tense short form of nouns? If it was present it'd be だ. This is why JLPT 5 is worthless

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

Isn't だた the past tense short form of nouns? If it was present it'd be だ. This is why JLPT 5 is worthless

-ta is not always past tense. It's the perfective aspect, which can also sometimes mean "things you just found out about". I don't think English has this usage, but German does the same thing with our past tense. So I put it in present tense because "JavaScript was Christian" doesn't make too much sense here.

Anyway I went to church today, and turns out Jesus sometimes does reason in his sermons:

Jesus posted:

That the dead will rise
even Moses made known in the passage about the bush,
when he called out ‘Lord,’
the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob;
and he is not God of the dead, but of the living,
for to him all are alive.

That's some pretty solid exegesis there, thank you Jesus.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hate languages

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Mo Tzu posted:

i hate languages

I hate kanji

pidan posted:

-ta is not always past tense. It's the perfective aspect, which can also sometimes mean "things you just found out about". I don't think English has this usage, but German does the same thing with our past tense. So I put it in present tense because "JavaScript was Christian" doesn't make too much sense here.

Anyway I went to church today, and turns out Jesus sometimes does reason in his sermons:

That's some pretty solid exegesis there, thank you Jesus.

Still weirded out that we're getting the same readings even when we're strangers living a Poland apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

i hate languages

look at how wrong this post is

• Locked thread