Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gripen5 posted:

I dont know why people go crazy over AI games. We are usually there related to being new/bad or trying to get the daily IP bonus. Not like you should expect much.

i would like to not get fuckin dumpstered in fifteen minutes because of someone being a total moron or get screamed at by someone in broken english

beyond that, i dont really care what people do in those games, gently caress i use them to gently caress around in the jungle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rabidsquid posted:

a lot of people bot accounts up to 30 in bot games and those characters never disconnect but also never do anything and thats sort of a huge bummer for new players

people can definitely be bad but theres something broken in the brains of people who do nothing but play these bot games, they're way worse than 99% of the people i run in to playing the regular pvp modes

i only really bother with bots because im level ten i have no masteries or rune slots really and because my poo poo is so bad i find AI matches faster than i do PVP

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i would like to not get fuckin dumpstered in fifteen minutes because of someone being a total moron or get screamed at by someone in broken english

beyond that, i dont really care what people do in those games, gently caress i use them to gently caress around in the jungle

I usually jungle in about a quarter to third of games. And the guy with the solo top lane is usually happy that he can feed on the 2 bots.

I come help them of they are having trouble.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gripen5 posted:

I usually jungle in about a quarter to third of games. And the guy with the solo top lane is usually happy that he can feed on the 2 bots.

I come help them of they are having trouble.

i just want to gently caress around practicing in the jungle because its fun

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i just want to gently caress around practicing in the jungle because its fun
Which is perfectly fine and dandy. I mean, I could imagine how furious I would be to lose a bot game, but I don't think it would gently caress up my day.

People freaking out in unranked games in general kind of weird me out. It happens in HOTS too, and I try not to feed into it (or only make snide, quick one-liners) but it's really quite odd.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
You can practice jungling alone in a custom, and in fact you should!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kingcobweb posted:

You can practice jungling alone in a custom, and in fact you should!

i do that also!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You should just play normal games, bot games don't really teach you poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

henkman posted:

You should just play normal games, bot games don't really teach you poo poo

i mean they're level 10, it really doesnt matter that much

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Sorry for Reddit link but who wants to read about a toxic piece of poo poo player getting owned https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/5b6ml8/rank_1_na_jungler_tarzaned_denied_from_scouting/?st=IV4NWV2I&sh=7184c51f

That's what you get for banning Janna

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
(Real advice though if you're a support player and you don't play Janna, you should probably ban Janna)

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Just play ARAMs to 30 unless you're just getting to grips with the game. It's way more fun and nobody cares. The occasional person who does get even mildly upset is basically human garbage and you can ignore them completely.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BigLeafyTree posted:

Just play ARAMs to 30 unless you're just getting to grips with the game.

i dont know any of the champs or mechanics or anything

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
just play

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

BigLeafyTree posted:

Just play ARAMs to 30 unless you're just getting to grips with the game. It's way more fun and nobody cares. The occasional person who does get even mildly upset is basically human garbage and you can ignore them completely.

I only played AI to 20, which was probably dumb, but now I only play AI if I only have time to play 1 or 2 games that day. The first one will be an AI game to get the IP bonus. Also, I read that ARAM doesn't give as much IP or XP as a normal game. Is that still accurate?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Toxicity in game used to be way worse. Every single game used to end in death threats around season 3. These days it's pretty tame and mostly moved to social media.

kingcobweb posted:

Sorry for Reddit link but who wants to read about a toxic piece of poo poo player getting owned https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/5b6ml8/rank_1_na_jungler_tarzaned_denied_from_scouting/?st=IV4NWV2I&sh=7184c51f

Seeing that was a great way to start my morning. I follow him on twitch just to watch and go "Thank god I'm not like that"

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'm awful at this game but Miss Fortune can carry even me to Gold. She is not taxed to contain my bad plays? Uh, I can't think of a good pun here.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
You bought captain MF, you dun good. No need for puns when you treat a girl right.

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011
I have never touched LOL but caught the last half of the new viewer stream of the worlds finals and it peaked my interest. Does anyone have any recommendations for streamers who actually take the time to explain what they are doing and why the are making certain choices, rather than just mindlessly yelling?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

elkaline posted:

I have never touched LOL but caught the last half of the new viewer stream of the worlds finals and it peaked my interest. Does anyone have any recommendations for streamers who actually take the time to explain what they are doing and why the are making certain choices, rather than just mindlessly yelling?

Most of them die off after a while because yelling gets more viewers.
Of the pros/big names, Bjergsen will usually review the last game in queue but he streams like once a month, Santorin and Xsmithie IIRC are pretty good about explaining too but they're also pretty inconsistent.
There are a fair number of high diamond+ players who can explain stuff and usually have fairly calm chatrooms, but just be aware that could mean you're the only one in chat.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 5, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
someone here streams but they have the worst sound control

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

God drat that dude is a huge tool

Killed By Death posted:

I'm awful at this game but Miss Fortune can carry even me to Gold. She is not taxed to contain my bad plays? Uh, I can't think of a good pun here.

Hey nice job

elkaline posted:

Can't really think any that explicitly attempt to cater to new players, but a lot of popular streamers will at least comment on why they're doing some of the things they're doing and analyze in real time why the died, etc. They're typically only useful though if you have some game knowledge already.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 5, 2016

elkaline
Mar 2, 2011

Moatman posted:

Most of them die off after a while because yelling gets more viewers.
Of the pros/big names, Bjergsen will usually review the last game in queue but he streams like once a month, Santorin and Xsmithie IIRC are pretty good about explaining too but they're also pretty inconsistent.
There are a fair number of high diamond+ players who can explain stuff and usually have fairly calm chatrooms, but just be aware that could mean you're the only one in chat.

Thanks, was hoping there was a Day9 or similar of LOL streaming out there that I had missed. Will check these guys out anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Save yourseeeeeeelf.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Things that happened in my 5 ranked games tonight:

- Jungle Malzahar
- Some guy quit and we lost 4v5
- Support Miss Fortune
- A fair and normal video game
- Support Karthus

This game sucks poo poo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm leveling up a new account with a friend who's new and I forgot how joyous every game is. Every Draven has a skin, everyone is a "Plat/Diamond smurf" (But will usually lose lane to a silver support main), and everyone is toxic as hell. I feel so bad for any legitimately new players that don't have other friends playing.

But hey it's not so bad. Since all these "high elo smurfs" care about is their sick-nasty KDA you can pick a tanky split-pusher and win the game because they'll send 4 people top to kill you while the rest of your team is in their base taking inhibs. It's the funniest tunnel vision I've ever seen and it happens almost every game.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

elkaline posted:

All of them four years ago.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Work Friend Keven posted:

All of them four years ago.
All the pros started streaming 3-4 years ago and back when the game was newer, the pros hadn't burned out yet, you'd get all sorts of things like Chaox's A-Z champion carnival and pros would explain a lot more things in detail like Oddone's Rage Daily's but the game's been out ages now and it changes so often that I don't know many pros that want to keep repeating the same tips over and over for the couple newbies that happen to be watching at the time

It's also really hard for a pro to teach newbies how to punish things while playing unless they're stomping newbies because generally players in high elo don't make the same types of mistakes you would see new players making. Dom might abuse the hell out of Diamond 2 players with Eve for being out of position but they're not making nearly as many stupid mistakes as a legit like, level 10 player will be making.

The best thing to do is finding out which easy champions are in-meta right now, then finding probuilds.net or champion.gg statistics on how to play them, then check youtube to see if any high elo players have VODs or there's anyone who's made up-to-date tutorials. Anniebot is probably always going to be playing Annie, who's one of the most straight-forward mages in the game. All you've got to practice is your Flash->Tibbers and how to CS with your Q

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 5, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

elkaline posted:

scarra is a semi-popular ex-pro streamer that usually explains what he's doing and why he's doing it as the game goes and then recaps the game/mistakes made while in queue. His stream is pretty chill.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I'm leveling up a new account with a friend who's new and I forgot how joyous every game is. Every Draven has a skin, everyone is a "Plat/Diamond smurf" (But will usually lose lane to a silver support main), and everyone is toxic as hell. I feel so bad for any legitimately new players that don't have other friends playing.

But hey it's not so bad. Since all these "high elo smurfs" care about is their sick-nasty KDA you can pick a tanky split-pusher and win the game because they'll send 4 people top to kill you while the rest of your team is in their base taking inhibs. It's the funniest tunnel vision I've ever seen and it happens almost every game.

We've started betting on peoples win:level ratio in relation to their toxicity when it's clear they are the ones loving up. It's good times.

I crave being 30 again though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i dont know any of the champs or mechanics or anything

That's pretty much the point. I wish i had done that more. One fun thing I did was duo with another Goon into TT. Like ARAM, it spits xp and gold faster (or so it seemed) and you still can still practice map control, jungling and objectives although you don't get wards.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

elkaline posted:

Sickmotion on youtube is pretty alright, I've never caught his stream though.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
tyler1

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't like Vel'Koz, why does he do so much damage? :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because nobody plays him so why would they nerf my favorite laser hellclam.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
God help you if the enemy team has a fed Olaf though

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I... don't think I can

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Sexpansion posted:

Watching Quas stream Nasus right now, his build is awesome. He starts two Dorans (ring), maxes R -> E -> Q, first buy is ZZ'rot portal. :getin: :smugdog:
The dude is really close to putting two accounts in the top 10 of the ladder as well. Currently 4 and 14.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vel'Koz Carry The Bads

edit: And beat the 28 kill D1 Jhin main

I love Vel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Vel'Koz is weird. Unlike most other hard to play heroes, the ones on my team tend to be really good and solid team players, but the ones on the enemies teams are usually really awful about leading or comboing to stop any sort of threat running up and killing them.

It's gotten to the point where I sometimes think "VK seems kind of lovely" until I get a game with him on my team and I go "nevermind".

• Locked thread