Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I enjoyed Mace getting the holy living hell beat out of him unexpectedly and that makes me a bad person. :smith:

I just want some sort of indication he's doing the right thing here. He's made all the right moves but he still feels like American Psycho waiting to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, he wasn't set on fire, so that's a step in the right direction

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Well let's not forget, there WAS that time where the Punisher was killed and brought back to life by Angels to become a spirit of vengeance! Complete with mystical weapons!

I didn't know this, but that's amazingly hilarious. I'll have to check that out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mace may not be a bad guy, but he is working for the bad guys in some capacity.

Plus seeing authority figures get beaten up is always fun.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

Acceptable.

You know the funny part is I honestly believe if not for the fact Marvel will never canonize those movies, Nic Cage would totally probably play the role again on TV. He's into it a whole lot, and come on, he's down to doing stuff like Left Behind to pay his bills. They're missing a golden oppertunity!

Hell they should just have Nic Cage cameo as a guy who says like five words and walks away, that everyone knows is Johnny Blaze without TECHNICALLY confirming it, because that'd be the best.

Serf posted:

Mace may not be a bad guy, but he is working for the bad guys in some capacity.

Plus seeing authority figures get beaten up is always fun.

I don't think so. If they continue doing what they are with him - making him a very different kind of guy than Coulson and so friendly it's off putting - but do NOT make him evil or working for evil, it's kind of genius. He's a good guy that's a bad guy only because we like Coulson better, despite the new guy having good point after good point.

It's absolutely masterful and if they do go the secret-bad guy route, it'll be disappointing as hell. I rather just have him make the right call that gets the wrong results, and admit that his style doesn't always work. It's a great, three-dimensional conflict right now and I will be bummed completely out if they just flatten it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think Mace is either heading for "good guy who has to compromise with very bad people and becomes part of the problem" or "good guy who makes a big mistake and sacrifices himself to redeem himself" territory.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
For comics Ghost Rider, can there be multiple Riders at a time, or is there only one at a time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pyroi posted:

For comics Ghost Rider, can there be multiple Riders at a time, or is there only one at a time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's absolutely masterful and if they do go the secret-bad guy route, it'll be disappointing as hell. I rather just have him make the right call that gets the wrong results, and admit that his style doesn't always work. It's a great, three-dimensional conflict right now and I will be bummed completely out if they just flatten it.

It's probably going to go down like that because you basically just described all of Gonzales' season arc.

RIP NuSHIELD buddy, you just wanted to make an inhuman friend :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I'm the devil on the side of the Ghost Semi

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm the devil on the side of the Ghost Semi

That panel gives me a ghost semi :fap:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would like to see Nick Cage cameo with a Sam Elliott impression giving random moral support: "Any man that's got the guts to sell his soul for love has got the power to change the world. You didn't do it for greed, you did it for the right reason. Maybe that puts God on your side. To them that makes you dangerous, makes you unpredictable. That's the best thing you can be right now." Then he just walks away without mentioning who he is.

Also I've come up with some names for the new villain. At first I was going to go with Carbon Creation Man, but then I thought Captain Coal sounds better.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

nelson posted:

I would like to see Nick Cage cameo with a Sam Elliott impression giving random moral support: "Any man that's got the guts to sell his soul for love has got the power to change the world. You didn't do it for greed, you did it for the right reason. Maybe that puts God on your side. To them that makes you dangerous, makes you unpredictable. That's the best thing you can be right now." Then he just walks away without mentioning who he is.

Also I've come up with some names for the new villain. At first I was going to go with Carbon Creation Man, but then I thought Captain Coal sounds better.

Big Coal

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If this was the Silver Age, it would be King Coal. Or Koal, because K's are kooler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Ghost Riders are Marvel's Green Lanterns.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jusupov posted:

Big Coal

This right here is the name.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So Mack and Gabe called each other Ironsides and Black Kojak, and since I didn't know who either one of those people were, I decided to look it up. Those are the title characters of TV shows from the 60s and 70s. They were probably before Mack's time, let alone loving Gabe, who I'm pretty sure is supposed to be a teenager in high school. Where the gently caress is Gabe watching 60s and 70s police procedurals? I mean, I get that TV writers are generally older than the characters they write and have a limited reference pool, resulting in them constantly forcing references into the mouths of characters too young to understand them, but I feel like this is a stretch even by those standards.

Then again, apparently they tried to reboot Ironsides in 2013 starring May's husband, which I somehow missed completely, so I guess it's not totally out of the question that Gabe would get that reference. Seriously, I thought I was fairly well-versed in TV failures, but that one somehow flew by me without even turning my head.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They rebooted Kojak too

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

They rebooted Kojak too

So they did! That was on USA in 2005 though, so I don't feel bad about not knowing about it. Apparently that one also rebooted with a black lead in place of a white guy. Which makes it kind of odd that Gabe would call Mack 'Black Kojak' since the only Kojak that came around in his lifetime was already black, but maybe he just knew about the other Kojak and wanted to make sure Mack knew he was comparing him to Ving Rhames and not the other guy. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spergatory posted:

So Mack and Gabe called each other Ironsides and Black Kojak, and since I didn't know who either one of those people were, I decided to look it up. Those are the title characters of TV shows from the 60s and 70s. They were probably before Mack's time, let alone loving Gabe, who I'm pretty sure is supposed to be a teenager in high school. Where the gently caress is Gabe watching 60s and 70s police procedurals?

They no doubt heard about them from the same source they heard about Matlock and MacGyver:
http://i.imgur.com/dgBA2jW.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/EWvHRGA.gifv

Actual answer: those old shows have been in syndication ever since they aired

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I saw both those those on syndication; it doesn't seem so odd to get the reference.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ironside and Kojak were well before my time as well, but I feel like most people would know the references by cultural osmosis just because they are references that get thrown around a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They air on broadcast, though not a major station. MeTV runs a bunch of old shows, and those two are among them. Great "need something that isn't a talk show or a soap opera" daytime TV options. Kojak in particular is wonderful.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd never seen either before, so maybe they're more popular in other parts of the country. Most of my old TV experience comes from watching Nick at Nite as a kid back when they did really old shows like I Love Lucy and Dragnet.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kojak is like a pop culture icon. He's shorthand for 'bald dude'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Kojak is like a pop culture icon. He's shorthand for 'bald dude'.

Unfortunately, as we get older pop culture becomes retro culture, and something incomprehensible to us takes it's place.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

My old boss looked exactly like Telly Savalas, it was uncanny.

I'd honestly never heard of Ironsides outside of the context of civil war ships before now tho.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I work with Greeks, i know all their folk heroes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Azhais posted:

I'd honestly never heard of Ironsides outside of the context of civil war ships before now tho.

He definitely wasn't as iconic. Raymond Burr was MUCH more famous for Perry Mason, and the only really notable shtick for Ironsides was his wheelchair. Kojak had character; he was the kind of guy who could bust a dealer with every dirty trick this side of Miranda, and on the car ride back to the precinct they'd chat about growing up on the same block.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Maybe its some weird cultural thing, but when I was using a wheelchair as a kid, people called me Ironsides. That's like shorthand for people in wheelchairs for some reason. I didn't even know what it was a reference to until I was in college.

And growing up I didn't know what Kojack was but I knew who Kolchak was for some reason (syndicated TV I guess).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to say, with all the hilariously goofy Punisher alternates they've done, I am surprised they've never done where Castle dies and becomes a new spirit of vengeance to hop into a new body and keep a killin'

Wasn't that an issue of What If...? I'd love to see the MCU tackle that as an anthology series.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't that an issue of What If...? I'd love to see the MCU tackle that as an anthology series.

That would be cool. Or take a page from The Simpsons and do it as a Halloween Special!

nelson fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 5, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, Johnny Blaze confirmation?
https://twitter.com/IamGabrielLuna/status/793696180651880449

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assumed Ironsides was a reference to something because of Archer but I didn't know what.

This reminds me that I"m still waiting for the Zephyr to get ghoster rider-fied. If he turns while inside that is what's supposed to happen right?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

This reminds me that I"m still waiting for the Zephyr to get ghoster rider-fied. If he turns while inside that is what's supposed to happen right?

Only if he's piloting it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Only if he's piloting it.

That better happen. At least a quinnjet.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

counterfeitsaint posted:

That better happen. At least a quinnjet.

Man. If this season doesn't end with a flaming Quinjet slaming nose-first into the season's big bad while Robbie (ghost) rides atop it all the way down I'm going to be disappointed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Serf posted:

Maybe its some weird cultural thing, but when I was using a wheelchair as a kid, people called me Ironsides. That's like shorthand for people in wheelchairs for some reason. I didn't even know what it was a reference to until I was in college.

And growing up I didn't know what Kojack was but I knew who Kolchak was for some reason (syndicated TV I guess).

It's fascinating how something can be so iconic to one person while completely unknown to another. A few weeks ago I made a reference to "I don't want to set the world on fire" (Fallout 3 intro music, though I knew it before then) and my brother, who I thought had the same pop culture exposure and love for old music as I did, had never heard of it. Then the tables were flipped when he found out I'd never heard of Watch Me (whip/nae nae) which apparently is the new macarena or something kids these days rabble rabble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zebulon posted:

Man. If this season doesn't end with a flaming Quinjet slaming nose-first into the season's big bad while Robbie (ghost) rides atop it all the way down I'm going to be disappointed.

The big bad needs to be in a tower.

SHIELD will never forget his sacrifice.

• Locked thread