Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It seems thread favourite Scott Ludlum is taking a break to deal with depression:

Not surprising seeing the stuff he has to deal with on a daily basis, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

This.

While possible here you can make moolah by having it done elsewhere and since that is ultimately the point of business that's exactly what happens.

Common good doesn't enter into the equation because accounting doesn't have a code for that on the transaction sheet.

Also when your main objective is literally just theft and misuse of taxpayer money through graft, corruption, bribes, kickbacks and nepotism (hi Brandis) then you really don't give a poo poo about who gets hurt or the long term damages. So long as you do ok personally anyway.

Yeah this is pretty much it. There's quite a number of factors that roll up into that summary of "can make money in Aus, but we make more elsewhere" but you can more or less attribute it to two main categories:

1. Proper salaries, benefits, hours, entitlements etc for employees. This is arguably the biggest factor if only because it's so easy to quantify when doing cost/"benefit" analysis - you can either pay Mick and Robbo $80k/pa each to do a job for you, or pay Rakesh and Sourabh 50c equivalent, maybe throw in a promise not to weld the fire escapes shut as a sweetener, to do at least a good enough job instead. HR/Finance drones can do the maths on that real quick and it makes your commercial KPIs look really good as a senior manager so you land that sweet job based in Singapore, at which point FYGM becomes your guiding philosophy if it wasn't already, and you can spend more time pondering the really important things in life, like "do I have room at my Swiss chalet to build an airstrip?" Who gives a gently caress if Mick and Robbo are now on the dole and their family spirals into poverty, they should have just played rugby at the right school, gently caress em

2. Greater regulatory standards - the kicker here is Australia has comparatively effective oversight and severe(ish) penalties to force companies to spend the money to ensure regulatory compliance. This can have very significant ramifications in ways you wouldn't necessarily think obvious if you're not in that line of work - e.g. if you need to make some fairly minor fixes/upgrades to some old plant and equipment to maintain availability and efficiency of production, you'll often be forced to bring the entire piece of equipment/plant up to spec/standards, not just the components you're replacing or repairing, which can often be extremely expensive to do in one hit. So instead that just has the effect of companies delaying any expenditure until the equipment fails catastrophically, or running lots of really inefficient equipment which has associated opportunity costs etc. Whereas in other parts of the world where most of these jobs get sent, you just do whatever the gently caress you want and at WORST you'll have to pay a pathetically small fine if someone gets electrocuted/crushed/blown the gently caress up (if you can't just bribe the regulators in the first place).

You can throw in government subsidies/tariffs or lack thereof into the mix on top of that

Basically what I'm saying is Vote Trump and make Whyalla great again

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Resident Idiot posted:

It seems thread favourite Scott Ludlum is taking a break to deal with depression:

A real shame to lose one of the few people with integrity and work ethic in the senate, even for a while

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
The 18c case against those Queensland uni students was thrown out earlier today. Only took three years and probably a good half a million dollars in legal fees. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...103-gshurj.html

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Resident Idiot posted:

You said, "I guess." but seriously, that's not a great comment.

Night Shade posted:

The 18c case against those Queensland uni students was thrown out earlier today. Only took three years and probably a good half a million dollars in legal fees. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...103-gshurj.html
You win you lose, you lose you're hosed. Still a poo poo outcome for those three kids and just a stupid piece of legislation that allows this kind of farce. The sooner it's gone the better.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Graic Gabtar posted:

You said, "I guess." but seriously, that's not a great comment.
You win you lose, you lose you're hosed. Still a poo poo outcome for those three kids and just a stupid piece of legislation that allows this kind of farce. The sooner it's gone the better.

I agree. I need to be able to call Aborigines black cunts.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Night Shade posted:

18c working as intended, or more correctly, 18D. But you almost have to admire the flexibility of racists to use a failed case to their advantage. How ironic that Tim Wilson MP pipes up when Tim Wilson HRC took the money and kept quiet.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

https://theaustralianatnewscorpau.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/prior-v-queensland-university-of-technology-ors-no-2-2016-fcca-2853.pdf

here is the judgement if you want a squizz

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

He logged onto his Facebook account and accessed a “Facebook page”

:airquote:

Strange that the guy who made an obviously racist joke about Aborigines being criminals didn't get involved in the complaint.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

round and round the plughole we go

https://newmatilda.com/2016/11/05/turns-out-being-in-hospital-doesnt-excuse-you-from-work-for-the-dole/

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

“I would much rather be homeless and have no money that be on this any longer. Thank you.”

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Cheers, I was having trouble finding that.

ewe2 posted:

18c working as intended, or more correctly, 18D. But you almost have to admire the flexibility of racists to use a failed case to their advantage. How ironic that Tim Wilson MP pipes up when Tim Wilson HRC took the money and kept quiet.

From what I read 18d didn't even apply, the case didn't pass the 18c bar of offending a reasonable person.

Still three years of bullshit to have a case summarily dismissed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jfc that is disgusting. FWIW I'm currently on a medical exemption myself. My JSA is ok by these standards, yet didn't think to tell me I was also exempt from going to their appointments as well as not job searching, so didn't I feel the fool for turning up in case I got breached. You cannot trust the system to not gently caress you over, it's that simple. I've been waiting for months to get a reassessment interview.

Night Shade posted:

From what I read 18d didn't even apply, the case didn't pass the 18c bar of offending a reasonable person.

Yeah I just like hammering on 18D because the bigots don't want to acknowledge it. But its all beside the point, the legal system doesn't work for anyone who doesn't have the bucks and the contacts. Like unemployed and disabled people.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Night Shade posted:

Cheers, I was having trouble finding that.

won't somebody stand up for the racists! :qq:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It's the same loving people! Every time a story like this comes out, absolutely without fail, it's Max Employment!

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Birdstrike posted:

won't somebody stand up for the racists! :qq:

Itt calling out segregation is racist

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Working entirely as intended. Social Security will seek to extend and enlarge Max's contract. If the cruel neocon muppets are trying to see at what point rioting kicks off they are doing OK.

Night Shade posted:

Are you always this dumb, oblivious of context and circumstance and disingenuous or is this a good day?

The original complain was vexatious and the level of obvious racism on the social media of the group involved was stark. Clearly the 'reasonable' Australian is OK with that.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Night Shade posted:

ah, the famed "affirmative action is discrimination" gambit

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Bleh can't multi quote in awful app.

Cartoon - no I'm being deliberately disingenuous. Edit: I don't agree with what was posted but I don't think that it, aside from the obviously way out of line post that was shown to be from a fake account, was any worse than the shitposting banter that goes on right here, and certainly not deserving of three years spent trying to extract 100k each out of uni students. But being disingenuous goes both ways mate - the reasonable person test in 18c is any reasonable person of the allegedly vilified group, not all Australians.

I haven't seen any of the other posts from the Facebook group so I can't speak to them, just what was part of the suit.

Birdstrike posted:

ah, the famed "affirmative action is discrimination" gambit

Yep that's what was posted.

Night Shade fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 5, 2016

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Maybe if the suit had complained about some of that obvious racism you mentioned instead of a few minor shitposts it would have made it to trial.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Birdstrike posted:

affirmative action is discrimination

Actually this part is true, to the point where it's acknowledged in the discrimination acts and you can apply for an exemption to put affirmative actions in place. But if you don't get that exemption first you're legally, although not morally, as guilty of discrimination as someone putting WHITES ONLY over a water fountain.

Whether affirmative action is a bad thing is a very different question.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

when you have to make a triple post because you thought of a hot take an hour later

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
the edit button is so hard to push

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
also i took my kid to a swimming lesson between posts so yanno

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Night Shade posted:

also i took my kid to a swimming lesson between posts so yanno

gotta get the most out of those visitation rights

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The "Well we may say" Podcast hasn't updated the past two weeks. I hope Jeremy Seer is alright

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

The "Well we may say" Podcast hasn't updated the past two weeks. I hope Jeremy Seer is alright

I'm expecting it some time today, track https://twitter.com/wellmaywesay I suspect this podcast won't be as clockwork as somethingwonky, it's more guest-orientated and less frantic.

edit: It's up now!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 5, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

I'm expecting it some time today, track https://twitter.com/wellmaywesay I suspect this podcast won't be as clockwork as somethingwonky, it's more guest-orientated and less frantic.

edit: It's up now!

I was trying to find the twitter, as it isn't linked on their site, and had no luck finding it

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I went to my very first protest march today. Of course I was proselytised to by a Red Flag distributor the whole time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Daily Telegraph posted:

FORMER prime minister Tony Abbott has made a less than graceful arrival at the Castle Cove fire command centre where he’s helping fight an out-of-control blaze.

Arriving with his Davidson RFS crew, Mr Abbott fell face-first out of the fire truck and on to the road.

As he tried to get up, a fellow firefighter then opened the back door of the truck and hit him in the head.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A piano was then dropped on him by accident. A clown car crashed into the piano. 12 out of the 76 clowns died trying to escape the car.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Do it again and get it on video this time

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

There was a protest today up in my neck of the woods about those loving brown country shoppers stealing homes from the elderly. Bendigo bus co was bringing in people angry that "refugees" were going to live nearly 200kms away from them, in newly renovated unused elderly care houses. Lots of lies about how they're kicking elderly people out to make room, how it's costing the aged care facility money, how they aren't real refugees and are just looking for a nice new country to convert to Sharia law, etc.

Protesters ended up numbering ~70, counter-protesters was ~200. Maybe it's not all complete poo poo. :unsmith:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

quote:

When approached by media for comment, Abbott said “I can’t, I’m operational”.

Operational matters can't comment.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Korgan posted:

Maybe it's not all complete poo poo. :unsmith:

Un Australian

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Abbott is allergic to dignity.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
well ain't this some poo poo http://theaimn.com/bob-days-tangled-web/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A legit good read right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The kind of story the MSM could have easily done but will now try and take credit for.

• Locked thread