Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Hey all, it's the Australian Politics thread for November. No one made a new thread right on the first of the month because the start of this month fell on the first Tuesday of November, which is the day of the biggest horse race in the country, which in some parts is also a public holiday. Mostly it's an excuse to drink to excess and take Monday off for a four day weekend if the option is available. Fortunately it's still the 1st in parts of the country for a few more hours at the time of posting so this thread isn't technically late(Did you know that it's 1AM here in Melbourne right now and 10PM in Perth but it's 11PM in Tokyo:iiam:)
Melbourne Cup day pictures I lazily grabbed:

Real classy event ain't it?
Anyway this is basically the level of discourse in this thread pictorialized. Hideous sea birds(the regulars) flying around in search of food(obvious bait/blatant terrible shitposting) and people generally wallowing in filth(a metaphor for living in this country?).
So welcome to November, it's gonna be a shitshow no matter where you are but all of us here are real thankful not to be American right about now, sucks to be you guys I guess.

Vote Vermin Supreme 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
australia is ok, i guess.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
eh

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just watched this weeks Media Watch.

Peter Dutton at it again. :banjo:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bob Day is such a gently caress up. It's amazing.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Is that young Wyatt trying to drink away the horrors of Iraq?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If they cluster bombed the Flemington race course yesterday, nothing of any value would've been lost.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

OP is mediocre at best. Like the rest of Australia needs to try harder.

EDIT - Oh content?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/cormann-on-bob-day/7986934

quote:

'It's not up to the government to determine the eligibility of individual senators': Cormann on Bob Day Wednesday 2 November 2016 7:36AM (view full episode)

Uncertainty surrounds the numbers in the Senate after the shock revelation Bob Day's election to parliament may have been invalid. The Turnbull government is claiming the Family First Senator had a pecuniary interest in a contract with the Commonwealth which may have breached section 44 of the Constitution. It will refer the matter to the High Court, which could order a recount of the South Australian Senate results. Mathias Cormann is the Finance Minister and Deputy Leader of the Government in the Senate. He says it's up to the High Court to determine any issue around Day's election. 'It's important to remember this is not a settled question, the government is not a position to settle this question', he says. 'It's not up to the government to determine the eligibility of individual senators'.

The minister wouldn't be drawn on whether the ABCC bill and the ban on refugees arriving by boat from ever entering Australia would be put to the Senate next week. 'We will continue to work with all senators to ensure our policies are legislated to the extent they need to be legislated'.

Not mentioned in the teaser but in the audio:

Apparently the government knew about this issue in August but has only now referred it to the High Court. That would explain why there was a sudden pull out in the Bob Day bail out that was initiated. The left and the right hand clearly have no clue what is going on and the damage to the government is now going to go well beyond the possibility of a more hostile senate and legislative constipation. The revelations into who knew what and when have the capacity to end careers and possibly topple the government. The matter put to the High Court will also need to be carefully considered. The Court might determine that all legislation passed on Day's votes is invalid if the question is put too broadly.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 2, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

sources needed

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Great OP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

starkebn posted:

sources needed

https://www.visitbrisbane.com.au

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I sense a possible biased source.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
God have a whinge oval office.

Every loving year with the same bullshit. Not putting their hand in their pocket to donate to racehorse rescue organisation or donating their time.

Can't even post about chocolate without someone whinging about loving palm oil. loving chocolate!

In other "Oh for fucks sake!" news, this trailer for the new XXX movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRX3TZPXsvs

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
And we're off!

Welcome to November my friends, Australia still loving stinks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tim Chuma posted:

Every loving year with the same bullshit. Not putting their hand in their pocket to donate to racehorse rescue organisation or donating their time.

racehorse rescue is little more than a bandaid on the problem, it's not going to fix it is it?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
As someone who has recently started getting family tax benefit A, what a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Why the hell does this even exist? The income limit should be way lower. Or just abolish it and redirect the money elsewhere.

The cost of administering it must be obscene in comparison to how much is paid out as well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Can't even ban greyhounds, what chance do they have of banning horses?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

open24hours posted:

Can't even ban greyhounds, what chance do they have of banning horses?

Virtually zero unless a huge majority supported a shut down, which is unlikely to happen if everyone just shuts up and gets over it

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon posted:

The Court might determine that all legislation passed on Day's votes is invalid if the question is put too broadly.

Not going to happen, I think.

Senate Practices and Procedure posted:

The presence in the Senate of a senator found not to have been validly elected or to be disqualified does not invalidate the proceedings of the Senate in which the senator participated.

From http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/odgers13?file=chapter06&section=02

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Motherfucking Rudd has the gall to call out the govt over Nauru and Manus.

You fucker do you remember the first thing you did the moment you became PM again?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Synthbuttrange posted:

You fucker do you remember the first thing you did the moment you became PM again?

I'm gonna go with the little scream Ned Flanders makes when he sees purple drapes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Although the High Court can't do anything about it, it does put it all a bit on the nose and absolutely sinks any lingering talk of 'mandate'.

Also Abbott is after the Indigenous Affairs portfolio. Truly a gift that continues to keep giving.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Apparently the government knew about this issue in August but has only now referred it to the High Court. That would explain why there was a sudden pull out in the Bob Day bail out that was initiated. The left and the right hand clearly have no clue what is going on and the damage to the government is now going to go well beyond the possibility of a more hostile senate and legislative constipation. The revelations into who knew what and when have the capacity to end careers and possibly topple the government. The matter put to the High Court will also need to be carefully considered. The Court might determine that all legislation passed on Day's votes is invalid if the question is put too broadly.

Cartoon, this is far too optimistic. Remember how Brandis still is in the parliament?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Cartoon, this is far too optimistic. Remember how Brandis still is in the parliament?
Way to harsh my mellow. Surely at some point all of this deceit and double dealing has to exact a toll. The Whitlam government lost seven ministers over far less. It's all good theatre I suppose. :munch:

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
The human potato is talking live on ABC24.

I'd rather spend all day studying for my second research stats exam than listen to this fraudulent piece of poo poo for more than 30 seconds.

Blow my brains out now, for this discourse is still, amazingly, spiralling further towards the bottom of what humanity has to offer.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The Abbott government approved Bob Day's potentially unconstitutional office deal against the advice of its own bureaucrats, who raised specific concerns about his financial stake in the building.

Government documents reveal the Department of Finance initially rejected Mr Day's request to relocate his electorate office from downtown Adelaide to a building he owned in the suburb of Kent Town.

But Mr Day - who resigned from the Senate this week after his national building empire collapsed - refused to take no for an answer and put the request to then-special minister of state Michael Ronaldson.

Mr Ronaldson sought a briefing from the department, which advised him in no uncertain terms to reject the proposal.

But Mr Ronaldson appears to have rejected the advice.

About three weeks later, he wrote to Mr Day saying "it was good to meet with you last week in Adelaide".

"I am prepared to give further consideration to your proposal to remain in your existing office space," he wrote.

The meeting came as the recently-elected Abbott government was seeking to establish good relationships with the Senate crossbenchers so it could get its agenda through Parliament.

:munch:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Combine that with the Antony Green blog (can't remember where I read it, trying to source a quote) speculation that being ruled ineligibile under these circumstances and how carefully the question is phrased to the High Could could undo legislation passed only with Day's supporting vote

:discourse:

edit: Nope, RIP Speculation argument. COMMENT: The votes of a disqualified Senator while a Senator are not brought into question if later disqualified.

You can be corrupt as you like so long as you ram home the legislation before you get caught!

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 2, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Colour me completely unsurprised

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Mr Ronaldson set out a list of four conditions, including that the space meet the necessary Commonwealth conditions, that he cover the cost of rent at the downtown office and he be responsible for costs.

The letter also suggests that Mr Day told Mr Ronaldson he had already sold the building - which government sources now say didn't actually occur until September 2014, six months after the pair met.

"I confirm your advice to me that you have disposed of your interest in the Kent Town property," Mr Ronaldson said.

Indeed in a letter to the department in May 2014, Mr Day said the new owner was Fullarton Investments.

A subsequent feasibility report by the department found a range of problems with the Kent Town office space, including that the ground floor was unsuitable and there was no disabled access to the upper floors.

The department told the minister the building would have to undergo a security upgrade, the air-conditioning was "severely degraded" and the full cost of refurbishment would be about $165,000.

Mr Ronaldson told Mr Day he would have to meet the costs. Mr Day said he was "happy to accept the terms and conditions".

Federal ICAC when?

Never, I know

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is so Yes Minister it's uncanny. I'm going through the 2nd series again, and the old quid pro quo is as quo as ever.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Tim Chuma posted:

God have a whinge oval office.

Can't even post about chocolate without someone whinging about loving palm oil. loving chocolate!

In other "Oh for fucks sake!" news, this trailer for the new XXX movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRX3TZPXsvs

drat I was so looking forward to seeing it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Former prime minister John Howard criticises both US presidential candidates for turning their backs on free trade deals, and launches a defence of Bill Leak's cartoon of Indigenous Australians.

looool

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Redcordial posted:

The human potato is talking live on ABC24.

I'd rather spend all day studying for my second research stats exam than listen to this fraudulent piece of poo poo for more than 30 seconds.

Blow my brains out now, for this discourse is still, amazingly, spiralling further towards the bottom of what humanity has to offer.

You have to define which potato.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently the election of Rob Culleton (WA One Nation senator) may also be invalid?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

And there goes another one

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

adamantium|wang posted:

And there goes another one

What happens when the senate purges all the minority party members? wouldn't this piss off ONP and make them hostile?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/corybernardi/status/793114149454766080

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I wouldn't have expected such a rigidly conservative bible thumper to be so eager to give another man a rim job, but there you go.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

God that man is human trash and it's sad to see his children are getting indoctrinated in that right wing religious bullshit.

Too bad we can't get child protection services to take the kids away from him and his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

You Am I posted:

God that man is human trash and it's sad to see his children are getting indoctrinated in that right wing religious bullshit.

Too bad we can't get child protection services to take the kids away from him and his wife.

Not his photo (and thus not his kids) AFAIK - I saw it elsewhere a day or two back.

• Locked thread