Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Yea I know very few people who voted Remain, lots of people who voted leave are really vocal about it.

I think it's because people who voted remain are generally normal and had a life other than moaning about immigrants and sovereignty. On the other hand Brexiters were and are weirdly agitated all the time. Before brexit it was "immigrants are ruining everything!" every week. For these people outrage IS their life. Being a brexiter is like being in the popular gang for the first time ever for a lot of these tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I don't think we can really pretend that brexit's brand of petit fascism was somehow unpopular prior to the result. It's just becoming more intense and thus harder to ignore now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

The Poppy situation gets more ridiculous every year.
Ireland wore jerseys in a friendly match commemorating the centenary for the beginning of independence. FIFA didn't object because why would they. Now England get told their players can't wear symbols tangentially commemorating imperialist wars and throw a strop that Ireland got away with political symbols.

You know I started to write a long post about FIFA's hypocrisy on this, as they've allowed quite a lot of countries to get away with this and how the Ireland one is just one of the more egregious (because the commemoration of the Rising was actually on the shirt rather than an armband, and FIFA have had no problems whatsoever with countries commemorating the dead - of war or otherwise - with symbols on armbands, but I'll settle for just saying "Oh gently caress off".

I'm as unsettled as anyone else about our troop worship but to call the poppy "tangentially commemorating imperialist wars" is some sophomoric bullshit.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Malcolm XML posted:

hello would u like some jam

yes mr corbynmp

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
This year I've seen pictures of a poppy mascot costume, an advertisement for a poppy made from shell fuses from WW I, and children holding giant plastic poppies while wearing shirts saying "future soldier". I think it's getting a little out of hand.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

children holding giant plastic poppies while wearing shirts saying "future soldier".

are those still around? I remember seeing those a few years ago. you'd think someone would have thought better of it by now. wait no I take that back, why would anyone think anyone in Britain would ever think better of anything.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Did this get posted yet? Or mentioned? Because this is some top quality trolling

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/794474117156237312

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

This year I've seen pictures of a poppy mascot costume, an advertisement for a poppy made from shell fuses from WW I, and children holding giant plastic poppies while wearing shirts saying "future soldier". I think it's getting a little out of hand.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Did this get posted yet? Or mentioned? Because this is some top quality trolling

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/794474117156237312

Yes it did, it is something that can do with reposting though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

are those still around? I remember seeing those a few years ago. you'd think someone would have thought better of it by now. wait no I take that back, why would anyone think anyone in Britain would ever think better of anything.
There has been some association of the poppy with militarism dating right back to In Flanders Fields, especially:

quote:

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Post war (both wars) it took on more of a sense of respect for the fallen and hope for no more war, especially with a 'never again' message sometime in the 50s/early 60s. The way it was always relayed by my grandparents was of respect for the fallen and of regret for the suffering.

Then at some point around either the Iraq War or the last WWI vets being too old to complain it seemed to segue into another round of hooah militarism with giant vehicle poppies and whatever is going on now.

Obviously in NI there is a completely different set of semiotic signifiers too.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
People who actually were in WW2 voted in Attlee in 1945 as opposed to the people who voted Churchill as "greatest Briton" in the BBC poll in the early 2000s. Funny that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
but if there's no more war then there'll be no more war dead and we'll forget, so the best way to never forget is to just keep having wars forever

What happened to NI?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get particularly annoyed about people who use remembrance day to promote militarism.

Anyone not familiar with the specifics of why the cenotaph was built and why there is an unknown soldier buried in Westminster abbey with the highest honours of state, should read up on it. It's one of the few things the UK has done right.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Do brits not get the poem "Dulce et Decorum est" hammered into them at school?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I did but it had to be explained that perhaps the author was not being entirely sincere with that line.

Nowadays I'm sure anything other than an entirely literal reading would be sedition and not promoting british values.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OwlFancier posted:

I did but it had to be explained that perhaps the author was not being entirely sincere with that line.

He explicitly calls it an "old lie"!!!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

We didn't, a different (and less anti-imperialist) war poet went to the school so we had him instead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He explicitly calls it an "old lie"!!!!

Just a bit of bantz I'm sure.

Like on Fastest Horse.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The rose tinted nostalgia for a 1950's Britain that never existed isnt the blame of kids sitting their GCSE's now. Its the boomer generation who are trying their hardest to return the country to the good old days when soldiers would get a salute in the street and ptsd didn't exist and by golly no squaddie went homeless.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Maybe people didn't go homeless because the government was building social housing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Maybe people didn't go homeless because the government was building social housing.

Nah, they just let them die of exposure. So the current government are just carrying on a Proud British Tradition.

:britain:

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Soldiers back then knew the meaning of honest labour. Not like the shiftless millennials with their iphones & refusal to wear poppies and their gay judges.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pork Lift posted:

Soldiers back then knew the meaning of honest labour. Not like the shiftless millennials with their iphones & refusal to wear poppies and their gay judges.

Openly gay. :mad:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

crispix posted:

At least he was a fencer, by gum, an honest trade. Why I can remember when fences were all British and an enterprising lad could have a plank loose and be in Farmer Brown's applefield wit' just his penknife not like these Polish fences you get nowadays that actually keep people out! If you want people to stay out of your bloody garden all you need is a good British Bulldog to tear the seats off their trousers none of these fancy chain fences or the ones with the leccy running through them, waste of good leccy that could be used to make a cuppa tea I say.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

crispix posted:

And a ponce lawyer, both of which are explicit by his being an Olympic fencer.

Serious about the lawyer bit though, it's got the potential to be a fun sport but it's such a loving drag to play as is because you can't win without being a total dick about the rules. It's much more about playing the judge than your opponent.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is why fencing must become bloodsport.

Openly gay MASTER OF THE ARENA :black101:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I did have this fun idea about replacing the electric scoring system with a bunch of shock pads delivering progressively more debilitating charges with consecutive hits :byoscience:

God knows where I'd find anyone insane enough to play with though.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 5, 2016

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well i mean no labour mps have actually resigned their seats yet

some have died, however

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

arguably this whole mess might've been, well, less messy if they'd go to that step

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

V. Illych L. posted:

well i mean no labour mps have actually resigned their seats yet

some have died, however

Seriously. Petulantly resigning from the front bench is one thing, actually giving up your seat and risking your party losing part of its razor-thin majority is quite another.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

as a millennial i can't wait for theresa may to sort me out. stick me on the new business boat and call me a part of the merchant navy. im sure that'll straighten me out, i'll become a regular uncle albert.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

MPs are calling for the government to do something about the papers threatening the high court; I guess we get to see what authoritarian tone May prefers. Shackled press or judiciary too scared to rule against her.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
in other fantastic waste of time news, we have this hot debate coming up in the backbench business committee on the 17th: http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ional-mens-day/

no shock it is coming from a tory

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

namesake posted:

MPs are calling for the government to do something about the papers threatening the high court; I guess we get to see what authoritarian tone May prefers. Shackled press or judiciary too scared to rule against her.

I caught the news this morning and the BBC are doing their typically spineless schtick of just reporting on what the newspapers are talking about instead of the facts, which means they're essentially complicit in spreading the lie that judges are being anti-democratic by blocking brexit. :bang:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Have some more misery too, this taken from the "Crown Prosecution Service's approach to prosecuting disability hate crime" Parliament Debate Pack:

numbers only go up up up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Awa & bile yer heid ya bawbag

(The best part of ScotPol is Pissflaps sharing the Scots column in The National every week & asking "what's the Scots for *word that is the same in Scots & English*?" because what's the English word for cafe?)

It's also the only time he's ever been right. When your "language" uses identical grammar to another language and the vast majority of the words are phonetic respellings or straight up loan words from that language, it isn't a loving language. It's a dialect.

Also the only people who use Scots are howling racist morons. Witness the translations of Asterix into Scots. The eighth album is Asterix in Britain. The Scots translation is Asterix and the Sassenachs. gently caress off.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Figure I may as well throw this in while I am at it for any interested, I find it incredibly useful as a resource. If you have not done so already, sign up for an email subscription of the Parliamentary debate packs and policy briefings.

They offer an email subscription where they will basically send you .pdf summary files of debates taking place in Parliament. You can tailor your subscription to focus on specific policy areas if you want, and you can have it set up so they send you the .pdf as soon as it is available.

You can do this by going to here: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKPARLIAMENT/subscriber/new?preferences=true

An example of these debate briefs can be found here at the bottom of the page, which is where I got the graph above from: http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CDP-2016-0203

From a information standpoint, they are actually excellent packs of information and usually you can find the criticism the government wants you to overlook within them. Their statistical briefings are usually pretty drat good, and they give a good summary of what the stats indicate beneath. Of course the actual debate minutes part is usually full of the use hot air you would expect an Parliamentarian to give in a speech, but the stat analysis can sometimes be pretty damning.

I'm signed up to receive basically everything that goes through Parliament and as a politics student, it is an exceptional resource.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Another Person posted:

in other fantastic waste of time news, we have this hot debate coming up in the backbench business committee on the 17th: http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ional-mens-day/

no shock it is coming from a tory

International Men's day could be a good thing to think about provided it isn't used at all as a way of saying "and therefore feminism doesn't exist because men have problems." I'm sure we can all trust the Tories to make that important distinction. Also I couldn't care less about whether some way of speaking is a dialect or a language but this right here

Jedit posted:

Also the only people who use Scots are howling racist morons.

is some hot bullshit, Jedit at least Pissflaps has the excuse of getting his entire image of what scottish people are like from deliberately seeking out morons on twitter, you at least live here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Angepain posted:

International Men's day could be a good thing to think about provided it isn't used at all as a way of saying "and therefore feminism doesn't exist because men have problems." I'm sure we can all trust the Tories to make that important distinction. Also I couldn't care less about whether some way of speaking is a dialect or a language but this right here

It could be a good thing, you are right. It could also be a manipulation of genuine issues such as rising male suicide rates or the difficulties non-white men face in the justice system (which admittedly the MP pushing the debate raises) to make a grandstand by less reputable groups to push an undesirable and unprogressive anti-equality agenda (this is what many will actually do with a Men's Day if such a thing were to be implemented officially). Basically I am not sure we need an International Men's Day to address these concerns considering the overwhelming representation of men that currently exists within the political system and without it.

• Locked thread