Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Here's a summary of the Operations and Special Activities in Colonial Twilight:

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=13712

This confirms my suspicion that it will probably be the least interesting gameplay in the COIN series so far (it will still most likely be well-researched and therefore interesting to people curious about the history). The only new concept in there is resettlement. Reducing the system to 2 factions cuts out so much of what makes it compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Those just seem like cookie cutter standards now. Nothing really interesting or innovative. But guerillas go to casualties? A slight twist.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Have we heard how initiative will work in Colonial Twilight? Is it just a bunch of France and FLN events?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Have we heard how initiative will work in Colonial Twilight? Is it just a bunch of France and FLN events?

They mention this in the first design blog in the series.

Basically, initiative is not determined by the cards at all. Rather one player starts the game with initiative. The player with initiative acts first on each card, then the opponent acts second.

If the player with initiative performs a Full Op, they pass the initiative to the opponent next turn. If they pass, fire the event, or do a LimOp, they keep initiative. Wash, rinse, repeat.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 4, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

CaptainRightful posted:

Here's a summary of the Operations and Special Activities in Colonial Twilight:

http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=13712

This confirms my suspicion that it will probably be the least interesting gameplay in the COIN series so far (it will still most likely be well-researched and therefore interesting to people curious about the history). The only new concept in there is resettlement. Reducing the system to 2 factions cuts out so much of what makes it compelling.

Eh, the game will obviously be made or broken on how the 2-player system works. Frankly, this might be the most important volume so far, because if it turns out good, it'll open the door for COIN to properly evolve into a subgenre (like CDGs), than simply a series of increasingly-unCOINish modules.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 4, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Eh, the game will obviously be made or broken on how the 2-player system works. Frankly, this might be the most important volume so far, because if it turns out good, it'll open the door for COIN to properly evolve into a subgenre (like CDGs), than simply a series of increasingly-unCOINish modules.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about Colonial Twilight. I'm probably going to be getting it just so that I have a COIN game that doesn't require 4 players (an unfortunate number for my gaming circle) and it's nice that they're testing this out with a getting-back-to-the-roots counterinsurgency scenario so the lack of changes to the core actions of the game are something I approve of in this instance. Of course, my real hope is that the bots are interesting to play against, but I'm very interested in seeing what the newer games in the series do and if it does evolve into a new subgenre because I feel like it has a lot of potential for games that I would be interested in.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Colonial Twilight is definitely going to be a "watch and wait" for me in the same vein as Liberty or Death, which i'm glad I didn't get in the end. I'm in the opposite situation to lot of people anyway where I can get 4 people for COIN on the reg but none of my gaming buddies are interested in one-on-one.

I'm excited for Pendragon since that looks genuinely novel but aside from that I think we're getting into essentially the same games with different maps and event decks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Speaking of Liberty or Death, the designer was given the latter a few days ago. So don't hold your breath for Campaigns of 1777 nor Tank Duel.

[edit] Aaand Gangs of New York COIN.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Harold Buchanan died? I didn't think he was very old.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nah, the designer is Harold Buchanan Jr. His dad is the one who died.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh, my bad then.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
I've been having fun pushing around counters and learning Empire of the Sun off and on over the past year. I was wondering if there are any other designs that have been re-released in the past few years that have aged as well. I saw Fading Glory and No Retreat in the OP and understand both are (or were) respected older or recompiled games. Some of the titles I was looking at were stuff I don't see talked about in here quite as often like GBOH Alexander, Reds, Panzer/MBT, Ukraine '43, etc. or some of the Decision Games re-releases like Luftwaffe. Are there any strong opinions on these?

I primarily play 1v1 against my somewhat farsighted father. He likes making decisions in stuff like CC:E, but sometimes has trouble calculating DRMs on his own and assessing beyond whether something is low or high advantage. He plays a lot of Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, if that helps.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Speaking of Empire of the Sun, has anyone checked out Plan Orange? From what I hear it's a good intro to EotS proper. Looked at buying C3i magazine but postage is killer to Australia from Amazon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

dishwasherlove posted:

Speaking of Empire of the Sun, has anyone checked out Plan Orange? From what I hear it's a good intro to EotS proper. Looked at buying C3i magazine but postage is killer to Australia from Amazon.
I have. The game itself is interesting but not as good as EotS. The overall campaign is shorter but the game itself is not a good intro into EotS because the way that pieces interact is completely different, there are additional chromy rules and airplanes aren't as important. I wouldn't really recommend it as a stepping stone and the game is more interesting as a comparison piece to EotS.

The best intro to EotS is one of the short EotS scenarios.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Hey Jobbo, he1ixx, either of you guys want to play this Normandy scenario with me? Here's the map setup:

:shepicide:

How close was I?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

christ, my game of ADP started 22 hours ago. Solitaire Taliban, Extended scenario. I had the Government and Coalition seriously on the ropes but they bounced back pretty well. Ended up beating the Warlords and Government both by 1 point. It seems like it the stars would really have to align to get the goal of a 6+ point victory margin in this game, since no one has the ability to be completely dominant.

I really like ADP but wow, the playtime is comparable to FitL.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How close was I?

Spot on, aside from needing beach and ocean overlays on the bottom of each map :smithicide:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Spot on, aside from needing beach and ocean overlays on the bottom of each map :smithicide:

If I had the scenario card, I'd do it. Unfortunately, I can't find that pack on sale :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I finally got Tunisia II! And also a spare box for Tunisia II! Guess they scavenged that copy for spares and didn't know what to do with the spare box. Weird though.

My collection is now Tunisia II, Sicily II and Reluctant Enemies. I think I'm pretty happy with just having the small(er) game OCS rather than going for the big ones. I'm more interested in Med in comparison to East/West front anyway.

EDIT: I do want to find a copy of Burma though. Hoping for a re-print/re-make.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Tekopo posted:

My collection is now Tunisia II, Sicily II and Reluctant Enemies. I think I'm pretty happy with just having the small(er) game OCS rather than going for the big ones. I'm more interested in Med in comparison to East/West front anyway.

Just so that you know, OCS Korea is also pretty small! I mean, yeah the full campaign has three maps but there's plenty of good one and two map scenarios, and the counter density is quite low generally. As an added bonus it's not even out of print.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'll have a look, I only have a middling interest in the Korean War though. I did find a use for my extra box of Tunisia II though (thanks to tomdidiot): it's now a Sicily II box :)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

christ, my game of ADP started 22 hours ago. Solitaire Taliban, Extended scenario. I had the Government and Coalition seriously on the ropes but they bounced back pretty well. Ended up beating the Warlords and Government both by 1 point. It seems like it the stars would really have to align to get the goal of a 6+ point victory margin in this game, since no one has the ability to be completely dominant.

I really like ADP but wow, the playtime is comparable to FitL.

How does it play solo? I'm tempted to get it but getting four together is a problem for my group.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa is up. You could get a wargame for christmas!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

cenotaph posted:

How does it play solo? I'm tempted to get it but getting four together is a problem for my group.

I've played solitaire only twice in ADP but I've really enjoyed it so far. It's pretty tight mechanically with some interesting changes from AA and CL. The bots are decent but they did get more sophisticated in FitL and FS, with the insurgent bots as usual more effective than COIN bots.

Even more than other games in the series there's this feeling that everything you do affects everything. For instance, I used a capability as Taliban to take out the Coalition base in Kabul. Good for me, but it also meant that the Government could repeatedly use their Govern special activity there, racking up the Patronage so they got very close to winning. Very good design, IMO. Also there's the weird feature that you need to be ahead of all opponents on every Propaganda round. I like this idea because it makes you accountable to your score the whole game, rather than my usual COIN strategy of preventing everyone else from winning and then surging ahead at the last minute.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Watch as me an Liechtenstein get matched in the TG Secret Santa and we end up just sending Fields of Fire to each other.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Watch as me an Liechtenstein get matched in the TG Secret Santa and we end up just sending Fields of Fire to each other.

DO NOT CROSS THE STREAMS!!!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

The Gift of the Grognard

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I thought exactly this. I'm telling you that game has psychic powers. :tinfoil:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've played solitaire only twice in ADP but I've really enjoyed it so far. It's pretty tight mechanically with some interesting changes from AA and CL. The bots are decent but they did get more sophisticated in FitL and FS, with the insurgent bots as usual more effective than COIN bots.

Even more than other games in the series there's this feeling that everything you do affects everything. For instance, I used a capability as Taliban to take out the Coalition base in Kabul. Good for me, but it also meant that the Government could repeatedly use their Govern special activity there, racking up the Patronage so they got very close to winning. Very good design, IMO. Also there's the weird feature that you need to be ahead of all opponents on every Propaganda round. I like this idea because it makes you accountable to your score the whole game, rather than my usual COIN strategy of preventing everyone else from winning and then surging ahead at the last minute.

I'm probably going to wind up getting it. I'm not a huge milhist buff and while I like the COIN games they don't really grab me by the throat like my favorite designs do, but there's just something really compelling about this game. Looking through Brian Train's designer page made me add a few others to my wishlist, too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, this guy posted an ASL critique on bgg. I'm quoting a small portion.

quote:

The first one is that sleazy ASL tactic of “skulking.” If you have never played ASL, you have no idea what I am talking about. But if you have played ASL and you are reading this, then you probably despise this gamy tactic too. In a nutshell, you can move your units out of harm’s way in your Movement Phase and then move them back into their original positions in your Advance Phase. This prevents your opponent from firing at your units before he/she gets to move. In real life terms, your soldiers are running from one side of the building to the other side to avoid being shot at by the enemy and then running back in time to shoot at them when they move. Now, how realistic is that?

The second one is broken squads. In ASL, squads and leaders that suffer FP damage are either eliminated or broken (don’t squabble with me over being Pinned. That is the exception). Seems reasonable. But once a unit is broken, it needs a leader in the same hex to rally it during the Rally Phase. That is a tall order when you only have three of four leaders for the entire scenario and the broken units are scattered all over the map. As time went on I couldn’t help wondering what ever happened to the inherent leaders that are present in every squad (for example, USMC squads from 1944 on have a squad leader and three fire team leaders). What are they doing during this time? Nothing I guess. Which allows anyone the opportunity to waltz up to a broken squad and kill it. And that is exactly what happens. Broken squads become prime targets and an easy way to gain VPs since there is zero risk in it (although reaching Broken squads can be problematic, but I am talking general principles here). This same flawed broken routine is repeated in Lock n Load and Old School Tactical (although OST’s version is a bit more realistic).

I get that ASL has some creaky bits that cause tactics that no one would ever do in real life, but these two cases seem really dumb unless I am missing something. In the first case, skulking seems pretty limited in usefulness to situations where I am heavily outmanned/outgunned. Otherwise, instead of skulking, aren't I going to want to prep fire to put hurt on the other guy before he even gets to defensive fire? Frankly, if I see someone skulking, that gives me a lot of info about how the other guy is prioritizing advance vs. hold, etc.

And in the second case, if you have limited leaders and are getting broken stacks all over the map, why the flying gently caress are you leaving them defenseless instead of routing them back to a leader during RtPh, rallying during RPh and then bring them back up during MPh? This criticism sounds like "this is cheesy because I don't understand basic tactics."

Or am I totally missing some key points because of my lack of ASL experience?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

I get that ASL has some creaky bits that cause tactics that no one would ever do in real life, but these two cases seem really dumb unless I am missing something. In the first case, skulking seems pretty limited in usefulness to situations where I am heavily outmanned/outgunned. Otherwise, instead of skulking, aren't I going to want to prep fire to put hurt on the other guy before he even gets to defensive fire? Frankly, if I see someone skulking, that gives me a lot of info about how the other guy is prioritizing advance vs. hold, etc.

And in the second case, if you have limited leaders and are getting broken stacks all over the map, why the flying gently caress are you leaving them defenseless instead of routing them back to a leader during RtPh, rallying during RPh and then bring them back up during MPh? This criticism sounds like "this is cheesy because I don't understand basic tactics."

The thing about skulking is that you use it as a defensive tactic. If you have some Russian 6-2-8s that can't hit your opponent without halving their firepower, you might prefer waiting/forcing your opponent to come to you. It makes the attacking player choose between advancing or shooting to an even greater degree because, without a defensive fire phase, that's one less opportunity to hit targets.

And the IRL comparison is more, your guys run outside of a building, wait a few mins, and then hop back inside.

I've never played against someone who did skulk, but it seems like bad form to do it, especially if you do it at a tournament level with prizes on the line.

The second thing about broken squads is... odd, to say the least. Not only are their self-rallies available on your turn (limited to 1 per attacker's turn, unless otherwise SSR'ed) but what if the leader is also broken? Or what if they don't have the same training, etc... Broken squads are, indeed, vital targets, because it allows you to reduce the combat strength of your opponent. But at the same time, if your opponent is targeting your broken squads, he's leaving the non-broken ones to go about their merry way.

Having the "opportunity to waltz up to a broken squad" seems strange to me, because you've got the ability to rout before advance, and approaching a broken unit would imply exposing themselves to being shot at.

TL;DR: Skulking is a thing you do on defense, its dumb. Broken squads work well, and limited leaders represent balance/men with higher training or experience

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The thing is that the lack of self rallies without a leader is not really supported by what actually went on in WWII or at the very least is not an assumption that any other squad level game on the market makes.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Finster Dexter posted:

Most of these complaints tend to come from people who assert that ASL claims to be a "simulation", in the strict sense. While I think there was a bit of ad copy in the 90s that referred to the system as such, nowhere on the rulebook (1st or 2nd from what I can see) is the term actually used. In fact, if one refers back to John Hill's design notes for the original Squad Leader (included in the rulebook for that game) Hill even goes to great pains to make it clear that SL was "designed for effect", and not accuracy. Certain aspects of ASL are indeed a little cheesy, but the end result produces an experience that more closely resembles the "feel" of WW2 combat, inasmuch as contemporary tactical doctrine and Hollywood portrayals have informed us. There's actually a pretty neat article in The General Vol 14 No 5 (found here) that contrasts this "design for effect" ideology with a more strict game system, namely Avalon Hill's Tobruk.

I guess one could make the argument that by the time ASL had rolled around, Greenwood et al. had transformed SL into an entirely different beast, but I think the points still stand. At the end of the day, if you don't like the drat thing, stop bitching about it and find something you do like!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

So I found a funny bug/glitch in VASSAL.

It can't handle adding overlays to a duplicate board, it will default back to the first board.

So I'm going to have to set up the maps/overlays myself, take photos, then recreate it in VASSAL by single-hex draggable overlays :cripes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You don't have to do this. You can get help. It will be ok. We love you. Everyone here loves you. It's time to seek treatment.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought exactly this. I'm telling you that game has psychic powers. :tinfoil:

Last year, honest to God, I hoped to get Cool Corn to send him my copy. After all, it's rude to sell away gifts. :getin:

Anarchy Stocking posted:

Most of these complaints tend to come from people who assert that ASL claims to be a "simulation", in the strict sense. While I think there was a bit of ad copy in the 90s that referred to the system as such, nowhere on the rulebook (1st or 2nd from what I can see) is the term actually used. In fact, if one refers back to John Hill's design notes for the original Squad Leader (included in the rulebook for that game) Hill even goes to great pains to make it clear that SL was "designed for effect", and not accuracy. Certain aspects of ASL are indeed a little cheesy, but the end result produces an experience that more closely resembles the "feel" of WW2 combat, inasmuch as contemporary tactical doctrine and Hollywood portrayals have informed us. There's actually a pretty neat article in The General Vol 14 No 5 (found here) that contrasts this "design for effect" ideology with a more strict game system, namely Avalon Hill's Tobruk.

Maybe it counted as design for effect in 1985, but nowadays it's hard to consider it anything else than WWII D&D combat, so stuck up in it's own rear end it doesn't really model anything other than D&D combat. We could sperg a long time about various creaks in the game, like skulking, tanks spinning like beyblades, or various dumb tricks you can pull using up people's reaction fire, et al., but that'd be pretty nitpicky in the grand scheme of things, especially given ASL is not alone with a lot of these (as with the D&D example, there's been a lot of mindless copying the genre's grandpa, rather than thinking about the depicted topic itself).

Still, the underlying model is fundamentally wrong, as getting a horde of infantrymen to focus fire the one enemy squad that has broken and isn't fighting back from the distance isn't how I remember the WWII.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lichtenstein posted:

Still, the underlying model is fundamentally wrong, as getting a horde of infantrymen to focus fire the one enemy squad that has broken and isn't fighting back from the distance isn't how I remember the WWII.

Why wouldn't you focus fire on an exposed squad that's panicking and trying to run away in open ground? :confused:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

If 2P COIN works, 3P can work as well. You just need a different system to adjudicate who gets priority.

Volko posted this about 3 and 5-player COIN:

quote:

As to 5-player and 3-player COIN designs: yes, I and other designers have given thought to it.

5-player has deterred me because I like to put even initiative cards for all Factions into the deck, and 5-Faction permutations would then require a minimum 120 cards. It could be done: Fire in the Lake has 120 Event cards; and even distribution among Factions is not an absolute requirement.

3-player would be easier, and there are a number of good ideas on how to do it, ranging from just having 3 Factions run through the usual sequence of play (it works; have tried it on an early prototype of Chechnya COIN by Mike Owens) to giving each Faction a minor "sidekick" Faction that alternates with the others in activating on a 4th initiative symbol shared by those 3 minors (an innovation by Steve Carey for a design on WWI Near East COIN)."

I think for a 3 player game you could get away with just using 3 initiative symbols per card, but that only makes six flavors of card so it might be kind of boring. Some innovation thrown in there would be good, whether by the sidekick system Volko describes, or something else.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, the sidekick system sounds super intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Last year, honest to God, I hoped to get Cool Corn to send him my copy. After all, it's rude to sell away gifts. :getin:

*scrambles to join the TG secret santa*