Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Anyone tried sleeving Dominion with all expansions? Is it worth it? My group plays heavily enough and I'd love to make shuffling easier, but I'm having a hard time getting past the idea of spending $70+ on loving card sleeves.

Use the Fantasy Flight sleeves, the purple package ones. They are fantastic for Dominion. They fit nicely, and shuffle really well.

At the rate I play Dominion, it would probably take a while to start showing wear on the base cards. But I really prefer shuffling with good sleeves, because I'm a big old baby and hate shuffling.
If I were fabulously wealthy, I'd hire someone to sit with me and shuffle my cards while I play games, because I don't like it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Tekopo posted:

tl;dr I would never play a game of Resistance with any of them, they basically tick all the stereotypes for terrible players of resistance.

I met and gamed with Jason once (not in a convention setting). He's a very nice guy, and didn't act as awkward as he is in the videos. I really think Dice Tower crew fluster him, they are all too pushy.

What's the timeframe on the TI3 live play meltdown? I'm not going to watch 5 hours of video

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 5, 2016

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Spikes32 posted:

I'm looking for a conquest type game, my group has played game of thrones and liked it though it bogs down way too much sometimes. They've also enjoyed small world, though I'm coming to really feel the limitations / problems that game has. What are some goon approved games in this genre?

Do you mean you enjoy area control games or direct battle games? For area control, there's always El Grande, and a thread favor combat game is Kemet. But Kemet is much more about fighting and fighting-based tech trees than actual conquest, the same way Small World is more about drafting races and declining at the right time than conquest. If you want both area control and fighting, it's probably going to be a 4X game like Eclipse, or a wargame like A Distant Plain.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spikes32 posted:

I'm looking for a conquest type game, my group has played game of thrones and liked it though it bogs down way too much sometimes. They've also enjoyed small world, though I'm coming to really feel the limitations / problems that game has. What are some goon approved games in this genre?

Twilight Imperium 3 :getin:

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Spikes32 posted:

Kemet is a perennial goon favorite. Both Forbidden Stars and Chaos In The Old World might fit the bill, but those are going out of print forever and will be extremely expensive in short order. I've also enjoyed the A Feast For Crows expansion vastly more than the base game of GoT, in case you haven't tried it yet, but it only seats 4. I also have a soft spot for Eclipse, dice combat and all.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked Eclipse a lot more when I was experimenting with different strategies and things like trying for isolationist victories, huge fleets of interceptors for harassing your economy rather than duking it out with fleets, etc.

But it feels like you pretty much gotta race for tanks otherwise you're out of the running. It's a little like a press your luck with the rng in a way because if you take your shot and go down, I think you've had it unless everyone else flubs it too.

Maybe it's the crowd :shrug:

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Yeah, the finer points of empire building were kinda oversold to me back when I first tried it. I'm usually down for a go if someone brings it out, but it's not *great.* Then again, neither is vanilla GoT with the diplomacy having zero mechanical implications and its potential of loving you into a non-entity or kingmaker way before the game's actually over.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Magnetic North posted:

The only possible problem with this is if, because of the reformatted cards included with the 2nd editions, they discontinue the base cards. I don't know if that would even happen, and even if it did, if you play the game that much, you could just rebuy one of the random editions with cards in it.

I believe that the plan is to make the next print run of the Base Cards expansion use the second edition styles, so there isn't really a danger of that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I have the choice between playing 1830 or Terraforming Mars for the first time. Which should I go with?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just started pandemic and beat January on the 2nd go. 'Hot poops' is dominating Asia

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'll go and check out kemet later this weekend, then the other suggestions. Thanks guys!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

dropkickpikachu posted:

Sleeving and organizing hundreds of cards at a time is strangely relaxing for me, kind of like assembling/painting miniatures or punching out board game components. I could do those things forever with a good podcast or movie in the background.

The most fun part of any board game is opening it for the first time. Punching out chits, sorting wooden cubes, sleeving cards, getting that perfect Plano box for the resources cubes, bagging the rest of it, figuring out how you're going to place everything in the box... absolute bliss. Then you put the lid back on and place it on a shelf, where it will collect dust for eternity.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

LongDarkNight posted:

I have the choice between playing 1830 or Terraforming Mars for the first time. Which should I go with?

If you are playing 1830 with people who actually know how to play, you might as well take advantage of that.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:toot: I picked up 2 Diskwars core sets and both expansions for about $40 and Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game with both expansions for $20. It all second hand and Warhammer Quest is missing a single token, but it still feels like some great deals.
Then I got a used copy of Runebound 3rd Edition when nostalgia hit me. I have a feeling that might have been a mistake.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ojetor posted:

The most fun part of any board game is opening it for the first time. Punching out chits, sorting wooden cubes, sleeving cards, getting that perfect Plano box for the resources cubes, bagging the rest of it, figuring out how you're going to place everything in the box... absolute bliss. Then you put the lid back on and place it on a shelf, where it will collect dust for eternity.

We feel the same way about people like you. Punching them is much more fun than playing with them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Magnetic North posted:

The only possible problem with this is if, because of the reformatted cards included with the 2nd editions, they discontinue the base cards. I don't know if that would even happen, and even if it did, if you play the game that much, you could just rebuy one of the random editions with cards in it.

Per DXV, future printings of the Base Cards will include the new 2e reformats (and they're redoing the art for Platinum, since the coin icon looked silly atop a pyramid). This is also the case for reprints of Prosperity.

Edit: well, this is what happens when I forget to refresh before replying. Beaten by a few hours.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I've never used them, but search Amazon for a "cajon bag". They're made to carry a square percussion instrument that is the size of many stacked board games.
Here's a pic from an amazon review

I use one of those, and it works like a charm -- my only caution would be that it only works well for square boxes. There's no chance I'm ever getting Seafall or Mechs vs Minions in there. Then again, Mechs vs Minions would not fit into any carrying solution that I own.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

jivjov posted:

Per DXV, future printings of the Base Cards will include the new 2e reformats (and they're redoing the art for Platinum, since the coin icon looked silly atop a pyramid). This is also the case for reprints of Prosperity.

Edit: well, this is what happens when I forget to refresh before replying. Beaten by a few hours.

Ah, well then. Maybe I should grab a copy of the old base cards because I think the new ones with the huge symbol are ugly. I still don't actually OWN dominion, because there are 3 copies among my group, but I want one that is sleeved and nice and not just totally beat to poo poo.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Since there are some people who really love dominion here I've got a question about it. I played it for about two days straight three years ago, and eventually came out with the feeling that there just wasn't enough player interaction for me. I play magic and really enjoy screwing with other people and in dominion it just felt like everyone was goldfishing on their turns. Yes I know there is the witches expansion, but that's a limited set of cards and don't think really changed how the game plays out most times. Am I wrong?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spikes32 posted:

Since there are some people who really love dominion here I've got a question about it. I played it for about two days straight three years ago, and eventually came out with the feeling that there just wasn't enough player interaction for me. I play magic and really enjoy screwing with other people and in dominion it just felt like everyone was goldfishing on their turns. Yes I know there is the witches expansion, but that's a limited set of cards and don't think really changed how the game plays out most times. Am I wrong?

You aren't wrong. If you want the tight balance of Dominion with a bit more spice and player interaction I suggest Tanto Cuore.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Now I wish the alchemy expansion was the witches expansion. Not the card, just... witches

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Spikes32 posted:

Ignore Rutibex - Tanto Cuore exists to bring great shame on your family for generations.

Dominion gets more interaction with different cards and as people get more proficient at the game. There's not too much direct interaction though, as it's primarily about getting and playing the right cards in response to your opponents. That being said, while Dominion is a good game, I can't stand playing it.

I personally prefer Valley of the Kings for a deckbuilder with more interaction. There are cards that let you screw with other people and the gameplay is great

Eminent Domain also has a good bit of interaction in that any time an opponent makes a decision, you have a choice to make. However, there's very little screwing over opponents; the emphasis is on getting a larger benefit out of actions than your opponents do.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Spikes32 posted:

If you're drawing 10 kingdom cards at random, the average game will have two Attacks available, plus the occasional non-Attack that has some direct interaction like Council Room. And there are more ways of interacting with Attacks than you might think -- if your opponents are getting Militias, Moat is one way of defending yourself, but it might not be immediately obvious that Library is an even better one.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "witches expansion". Witch is a card in the base game.

As you get better at the game, you'll find yourself responding to your opponents' actions more and more, but even at low levels Attacks are a pretty solid form of interaction.

Do not buy Rutibex's lovely anime maid fetish game that he plays with his nephews.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

My local gaming store had a swap meet today.

I got the following:

Dominion: Seaside -Used
Dominion: Intrigue -Used
Shadows Over Camelot: missing 1 white card and a sword, damaged box corner
Fury of Dracula -2nd Edition: Opened but undamaged and unplayed.

For 45$

Who wants to touch me?

Some jerk got used Mice and Mystics for 25$ and I was sad :(

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Don't be, unless you were going to flip it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa is up. You could receive or give a fun board game!

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, Mice and Mystics is pretty mediocre.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Leperflesh posted:

Please do, it's a lot of fun! You can make someone's christmas with the gift of Vlaada!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I would sign up for this and send out a home made game, but I am afraid someone might get mad it isn't worth more than $30.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

My lgs has three copies of FCM on the shelf... for $140+ tax each. I'm glad they have a decent selection though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

There are expansions that increase interaction, but it's basically always indirect interaction, nothing equivalent to smashing the other guys cards in Magic or whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Please do, it's a lot of fun! You can make someone's christmas with the gift of Vlaada!

I was considering it, but not now. :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

I was considering it, but not now. :colbert:
Oh Jedit, never change :)

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Lost Legion has come in the post so I'm probably going to start building the Mage Knight insert, and it struck me for this and other games I should order a lot of baggies.

What size baggies do people recommend? I never even realised there was such choice, but probably going to order enough to bag up Mage Knight, Tash Kalar, Twilight Struggle and anything else I can use them on at the end.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Spikes32 posted:

The other big thing is the risk of running out piles. If there's only one village equivalent in the kingdom, and you think multiple people are going to go for engine decks, you may have to rush village equivalents much earlier than you'd like. Another fun thing is risking an early 3-pile ending because multiple people wanted to build the same slow burning engine, and winning due to a duchy advantage. If you really must have more direct interaction, that appears more in the Landmarks in the Empires expansion.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tenasscity posted:

My local gaming store had a swap meet today.

I got the following:

Shadows Over Camelot: missing 1 white card and a sword, damaged box corner

Bad news, Shadows Over Camelot is solvable in 1 to 3 plays, depending on the group, and pretty terrible / predictable since there isn't really anything for the traitor to do.

The rules for table talk are also really inane and easy to game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
To give an example, I remember reading an analysis of a certain card combo where, in a simulation, a strategy would be *more* likely to win if they bought duchies with 8+ money, instead of provinces, because buying they wanted a long game, and buying provinces would end the game quicker. There is more interaction in dominion than most people think, it's just subtle (and yeah, the base game can be a little bland).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

:toot: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, MOTHERFUCKERS. :toot:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:haw::hf::toot:

I just bought 1830 for a song so I'm taking this opportunity to celebrate too! yours is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

:toot:

Now that GO has NT it's time to reprint it.