Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty much the entire issue of DC Comics: Bombshells #67 could go here, but it doesn't really work as well if you haven't read the series up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty much the entire issue of DC Comics: Bombshells #67 could go here, but it doesn't really work as well if you haven't read the series up to that point.

I really need to catch up on Bombshells.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
67 issues? Is it weekly or have they been publishing it for 5 years?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Skwirl posted:

Weekly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Weekly, it's one of those Digital First comics, much like Injustice's comic

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it sort of works out like Ultimate Spider-Man, like about 18 regular-size issues a year. (3 weeks worth make up one print comic's content, I believe).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

Try not to save any worlds on the way to the parking lot!

This is not getting lost on the last page!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Superman 10

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I may hate the concept of Jon way more than I ever did Damien, but the stuff coming out of it is really solid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

marvel: young kids dont want to read old married Peter Parker
dc: everybody's dads now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love Superman right now. Superman has always been a story about fathers and sons and Tomasi is taking that concept into the future better than I could have ever hoped.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just want Conner back. I liked Superman having an adopted son, not a biological Norman Rockwell thing. The latter does work though, I can't deny that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

I just want Conner back. I liked Superman having an adopted son, not a biological Norman Rockwell thing. The latter does work though, I can't deny that.

I have no doubt he'll be back, Johns adores the character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Johns also pulled the bullshit "Conner is half Luthor/Half Kent" thing which remains one of the cheapest and hackneyed ways to add depth to a character I've ever seen. I don't really trust him to come back and find a useful slot in the Kent lives.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Johns also pulled the bullshit "Conner is half Luthor/Half Kent" thing which remains one of the cheapest and hackneyed ways to add depth to a character I've ever seen. I don't really trust him to come back and find a useful slot in the Kent lives.

Man that still pisses me off. Johns did it for the whole dumb "oh no I'm genetically related to an evil mad scientist who created me as a weapon" drama and A) did almost nothing with it past that dumbass "genetic brainwashing" thing when it was first introduced, and B) ignored that he was already canonically created from the genes of an evil mad scientist (Paul Westfield, then-director of Cadmus) who created him as a weapon. Just the most pointless retcon. You can't add depth by re-telling the exact same story as a decade ago with one name changed Johns you loving hack.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought it was awesome. Put it up there with Knockout being gay as improvements on boring Superboy stories.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Love the bit where Jon decks Damien, kid has been needing it badly lately between this and how Teen Titans started

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

dordreff posted:

Man that still pisses me off. Johns did it for the whole dumb "oh no I'm genetically related to an evil mad scientist who created me as a weapon" drama and A) did almost nothing with it past that dumbass "genetic brainwashing" thing when it was first introduced, and B) ignored that he was already canonically created from the genes of an evil mad scientist (Paul Westfield, then-director of Cadmus) who created him as a weapon. Just the most pointless retcon. You can't add depth by re-telling the exact same story as a decade ago with one name changed Johns you loving hack.
But this time it's Luthor so it's like, more yin and yang and something :downs:

Open Marriage Night posted:

I thought it was awesome. Put it up there with Knockout being gay as improvements on boring Superboy stories.
It's not the worst idea ever but it's hackneyed as gently caress, a cheap way to generate drama, and as dordreff said Johns did nothing with it beyond some hand-wringing about nature vs. nurture which came across as retrograde as most of the stuff in his Titans run.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah it's really not interesting at all, it's just lame and ultimate proof that when a fan becomes a creator they don't actually care for the past, only their own headcanon. Reminds me of an old Ron Marz interview when he got asked if he was upset with the way Kyle Rayner was handled after he left, and he basically said "No, because it's comics and every writer tries to establish their remembered status quo."

Eventually there will be fans of the old Wally West as The Flash who will become writers and then Wally West will be The Flash again. relationships that were popular with that writer when they read will become new relationships ignoring previous developments.

Geoff Johns had a habit of that, for example Hal Jordan acting that everyone was happy that he died, when his funeral was a giant moment that even had Swamp Thing, Starman and Constantine show up at a time when those characters rarely showed up in anything, and building a giant memorial. He mentions his grave being vandalized, but the only person who ever touched his tomb was the younger Hal Jordan who hated what he became. Because Johns wanted to tell the story of redemption for Hal, ignoring that he'd had his redemption at the end and he'd died, with people coming to terms.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mind the walrus posted:

No love/memory of Christopher Kent?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Christopher Kent goes on the same pyre as the snot from Superman Returns and Cir-El. No I do not feel the need to have internal consistency to my preferences.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Onmi posted:

Yeah it's really not interesting at all, it's just lame and ultimate proof that when a fan becomes a creator they don't actually care for the past, only their own headcanon. Reminds me of an old Ron Marz interview when he got asked if he was upset with the way Kyle Rayner was handled after he left, and he basically said "No, because it's comics and every writer tries to establish their remembered status quo."

Eventually there will be fans of the old Wally West as The Flash who will become writers and then Wally West will be The Flash again. relationships that were popular with that writer when they read will become new relationships ignoring previous developments.

Geoff Johns had a habit of that, for example Hal Jordan acting that everyone was happy that he died, when his funeral was a giant moment that even had Swamp Thing, Starman and Constantine show up at a time when those characters rarely showed up in anything, and building a giant memorial. He mentions his grave being vandalized, but the only person who ever touched his tomb was the younger Hal Jordan who hated what he became. Because Johns wanted to tell the story of redemption for Hal, ignoring that he'd had his redemption at the end and he'd died, with people coming to terms.

That circle s honestly one of the biggest problem comics have.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

e X posted:

That circle s honestly one of the biggest problem comics have.

Well the only way around it is to only hire writers who aren't fans of a character, but still have all the knowledge of previous events and characterizations so they don't cause any holes. In short, it's impossible. It's not like some things don't deserve a retcon. Waypool is infinitely inferior to depictions of Deadpool that came after. But even that stuff has its fans, so how do you determine what is worth keeping and what should be removed?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

No love/memory of Christopher Kent?

Rucka's run is the last time I read Action Comics regularly, so I have a soft spot for Chris/Nightwing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Christopher Kent goes on the same pyre as the snot from Superman Returns and Cir-El. No I do not feel the need to have internal consistency to my preferences.

I liked Cir-El! :(

But I also don't like Christopher, and would prefer Connor-90s fun Connor not brooding Anakin Skywalker Connor-to Jon too.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

WickedHate posted:

I liked Cir-El! :(
The fact that DC tried so hard and for so long to keep Supergirl from officially existing will never stop being amusing to me. I guess they did the same thing to Batgirl, post Killing Joke but at least there they did it by giving the character other (and frankly better) story things to be doing.

My one and only in print exposure to Cir-El was a maybe three panel cameo in a Superman/Batman trade from, I believe, right before they finally brought back the classic Supergirl.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

NorgLyle posted:

The fact that DC tried so hard and for so long to keep Supergirl from officially existing will never stop being amusing to me. I guess they did the same thing to Batgirl, post Killing Joke but at least there they did it by giving the character other (and frankly better) story things to be doing.

My one and only in print exposure to Cir-El was a maybe three panel cameo in a Superman/Batman trade from, I believe, right before they finally brought back the classic Supergirl.

"Public Enemies." Cir-El was part of the the team that tried to break Batman and Superman out of government captivity and ended up getting rescued from a presidential ambush by the not-at-all-captured Batman and Superman. And yes, the very next arc reintroduced Kara Zor-El.

e: That was also my only exposure to Cir-El. I don't even know how I know her name. They only ever called her "S-Girl" in that story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently this was in physical DC's comics this week. My Comixology versions didn't have it.

E: Ah. That's an early print. It's coming later.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 5, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I didn't mind the whole Superman/Luthor thing with Superboy as an idea, but boy did the execution suck balls. Johns's biggest sin is that he never does anything *interesting* with the concepts he introduces.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like a lot of DC stuff they're overconfident in their prestige and it makes them forget to sell their characters/concepts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently this was in physical DC's comics this week. My Comixology versions didn't have it.

E: Ah. That's an early print. It's coming later.

I'm sad again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Class move by DC, though.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Punisher MAX: Mother Russia

Complete Peanuts Vol. 1

Vision

Sandman Overture

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like these might benefit from context.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

That's just about all of them here but these are the ones I think stand alone the best from what I've seen lately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, the Vision one works for me in isolation as someone who's only seen what's been posted in these threads. Viv, as a robot, verbally stating her doubt in a god, while visibly praying is pretty basic juxtaposition.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Morpheus wins his duel in Hell early into Sandman using the very same 3 words. There's actually a lot of remarkable small moments in Overture if you go back and reread the series proper. The series meant a great deal to me in my teens, so it felt like coming home for how well Gaiman is able to jump right back into the voice he used back then. :unsmith:

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

Morpheus wins his duel in Hell early into Sandman using the very same 3 words. There's actually a lot of remarkable small moments in Overture if you go back and reread the series proper. The series meant a great deal to me in my teens, so it felt like coming home for how well Gaiman is able to jump right back into the voice he used back then. :unsmith:

Wow! That didn't even dawn on me. Gaiman has such an attention to detail though that it makes complete sense. I was sweating bullets when Overture was about to drop that it was going to be awful. Glad that I was totally wrong.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
To be fair, he's said he always knew what that story was going to be that led directly into the start of the series, and that he'd tell it when he was ready. Due to my self-masochism, I'm in the midst of a project where I try to read all of the Vertigo imprint issue by issue--chronologically. Rereading Sandman, I'm impressed at how far back he seeds things (the first issue of the Doll's House arc name drops the Kindly Ones for criminey's sake) so I find myself believing that claim of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I love that punisher max panel but i dunno if I'd call it inspiring lol