Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJacobs posted:

Recalling the amount of people that dropped a tenner (sometimes on shared accounts) to read the dangan ronpa and dangan ronpa 2 lp's will always get a chuckle out of me. They ought to come out with another one of those games so Lowtax can line his pockets with gold once more.

Wouldn't work anymore since DR3 is 100% guaranteed to get a western release, for a while the SA LP was the only place to see the first game translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

What's wrong?

I read the news way too much. I am thinking about taking a week or two off from it come Wednesday.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sometimes I watch people play video games while playing video games and I feel my gamer energy getting stronger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watch let's plays while I play games that don't require much thought like TF2 or games I've played for a fuckbillion hours like the Dark Souls games. It's good training for splitting my attention while also being entertained!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Okay.

Demolition Girl. Mega Man X 7. Shadow the Hedgehog.

gah i take it back

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I watch let's plays while I play games that don't require much thought like TF2 or games I've played for a fuckbillion hours like the Dark Souls games. It's good training for splitting my attention while also being entertained!

I can listen to podcasts while playing games like that because that's just audio, I don't know how you're able to watch two things at once though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

I can listen to podcasts while playing games like that because that's just audio, I don't know how you're able to watch two things at once though!

I've got 2 monitors, so usually I just set whatever I'm watching up on one and the game on the other. With games like TF2 or Dark Souls there's a lot of downtime while you're waiting to respawn or in a loading screen or whatever, so I can use that time to actually watch it. Otherwise I'm just listening.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I like lps of games with multiple choices. That way I can play the game myself and then watch someone else play and make different choices without having to go through the whole thing myself.

I also like to read manga while watching lps cause my nerd brain cannot be satiated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

I put on netflix shows but I mostly don't watch them, I listen to them and glance over occasionally if there's something not clear from just the audio.

Doesn't work for Narcos though since my spanish is rusty and can't keep up, I need the subtitles pretty often.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched a Hatsune Miku Twitch stream once and thought the game can't be that hard, can it?

I cancelled my WoW sub because I want to focus on finishing something ANYTHING in my Steam library and now I'm looking longingly at Final Fantasy XIV God help me

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Robot Wendigo posted:

I watched a Hatsune Miku Twitch stream once and thought the game can't be that hard, can it?

I cancelled my WoW sub because I want to focus on finishing something ANYTHING in my Steam library and now I'm looking longingly at Final Fantasy XIV God help me

At least play some other stuff before jumping into another mmo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah you could even play Sword Art

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wait, that isn't on steam my joke is ruined

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I bet they don't even create art using swords in that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o56cp5M9jnk

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If anyone cares here is the summary of the creepy games I played over the last few days

Neverending Nightmares was bad. It had a few things going for it: mainly the violence was really extreme even for this day and age and sometimes it could set up some good atmosphere (I especially liked how it would sometimes play soft noises through the PS4 controller speaker in a way where you weren't sure if you were hearing things or not) but overall there just was not a ton there, the artwork was the level of a mid-90s flash animation and the gameplay was simplistic and didn't mix things up enough. The game also did hit almost every tired creepy cliche it could even when it really didn't fit the narrative at all. It also was often far too goofy to take very seriously.

Layers of Fear was a pretty okay walking sim horror game. The story was good and the scares were often creative, though they wore out their welcome after awhile. Most of the time the jump scares seemed organic but sometimes it just seemed to make a loud noise to make sure you were paying attention. The narrative was pretty cool for that type of thing and interesting to unfold and I think some of the things you do effect the ending but it's in a Silent Hill Shattered Memories kind of way so I'm not really keen to seek out the other endings or go back for anything I missed or anything like that. The graphics were pretty though it chugged a bit on PS4 and the sound design was fantastic (though I played with headphones). It is a walking sim so there isn't a ton of gameplay and when it does have gameplay it can get really pixel hunty or worse yet sometimes it just wants you to look at a specific thing. It was far creepier than Neverending Nightmares but that didn't stop it from sometimes feeling far more silly than creepy. Overall, it was pretty good and scratched that PT itch in a full game.

Knock Knock seemed really bad and I just sort of gave up on it after 20 minutes of wandering around aimlessly with no real direction to speak of.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't really handle Let's Play because of the voices. My wife likes speed runs of Majora's Mask and Super Mario 64, and she'll watch LPs of stuff like that PS4 horror game I can't remember the name of, in which your choices dictate which of the characters survive (she is determined to get a PS4 at some point so that I can play it and, heck, I'm not gonna stop her!).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

It's crazy how much some of them seem to make in donations if you watch one of the big streamers for like 10 minutes

I guess it takes a lot of work to get to that point but it's weird seeing someone play a game/not really saying much and making hundreds of dollars in a few minutes
id be surprised if someone can make a lot of money not saying much. unless their videos are like, walkthroughs or something and end up being the top SEO result when you search the game or w/e

people want a person to superimpose themselves over the gameplay, have a donation tracker, and shout at everything

WHATSUP*WHIPCRACK* IM SEPSIS JOHN ANDTHISISMY PLAYTHROUGH OF STYX *explosion sound* OHHHH SHIIIIIT

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't decide if I like playing TF2 or BF1 more. Please advise, chatthread

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I also hate Let's Play voices but it's mostly because I hate the Nerd Accent, which is a thing I cannot describe but you know it when you hear it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I also hate Let's Play voices but it's mostly because I hate the Nerd Accent, which is a thing I cannot describe but you know it when you hear it

It's this. It also keeps me from watching a lot of the "check on this guy's unique perspective in which he analyzes two minutes of media to death" videos. It's really not the content, it's something about the timbre of their voice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The review embargo is up for the nes mini but the only reviews are being done by streamers with exactly the affectation you describe

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welcome to the team, Ometeotl, also :rip:

sorry

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Now that October is over I can get back to playing some non-spooky games. Started up MGSV again and man it bums me out. Don't think I've played a game that was so simultaneously amazing and disappointing as this.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zaphod42 posted:

Basically they realized that simply updating the graphics on FFVII wouldn't satisfy the fans, so they're instead making a huge insane fan-dream version of FFVII where every little screen is a huge, massively detailed map that you can freely run around and explore and fight enemies with Kingdom Hearts / FFXV style real-time melee combat stuff.

Its a gigantic undertaking. We'll see how they end up pricing the episodes, but if they remake all of FFVII on that scale, its going to end up being over a hundred hours long easy.
Jesus, it was enough of a slog to get out of Midgar before, I don't think I can handle it as an entire game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they make the first game GTA Midgar I will play it forever.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:rip: Lurdiak. gently caress the Codex.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today's op was, truly, a death tower.

EDIT: I'm gonna need four rookies for tomorrow.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lizard Wizard posted:

EDIT: I'm gonna need four rookies for tomorrow.

I'm ready to put my life on the line to fight the space invaders, SIR!!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Add me. I guess I'm ok with dying for a good cause.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do i have the most kills now

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

do i have the most kills now

No that's still the enemy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinite Waiting in lobby

(windows store version has no cross-compatibility with steam lol)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It's this. It also keeps me from watching a lot of the "check on this guy's unique perspective in which he analyzes two minutes of media to death" videos. It's really not the content, it's something about the timbre of their voice.

The other day I found what would be a fantastic Youtube channel for Warhammer 40,000 lore, but the narrator, while a fantastic source for Warhammer lore, has the most grating voice that I just cannot listen to.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
Could somebody post a link to someone speaking with this "nerd accent"? I'm curious.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Could somebody post a link to someone speaking with this "nerd accent"? I'm curious.
Same. I'd like to know how it differs from morning radio.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ive started playing the official game of GOG.com: Jack Keane 2

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I got prize money from a costume contest on another forum a couple days ago and I used that to buy Owlboy. It's super fun and the sprite work is gorgeous, but it's really making me wish I had a PC controller

Also had an awkward moment where I tweeted about how it doesn't work on my garbage specs PC and then Adrian Bauer himself swooped in to ask specifics, but then I told him I got it working on my laptop

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I got prize money from a costume contest on another forum a couple days ago and I used that to buy Owlboy. It's super fun and the sprite work is gorgeous, but it's really making me wish I had a PC controller

Also had an awkward moment where I tweeted about how it doesn't work on my garbage specs PC and then Adrian Bauer himself swooped in to ask specifics, but then I told him I got it working on my laptop

post the costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
There were no actual costumes involved, everyone on the forum made separate accounts that depicted their costume choice. We had two contests going on during the event; one was for having the best and most entertaining costume, and the other was for having zero guesses to who was using the costume. The prizes for both were $10

I went as Space Ghost in his Coast to Coast incarnation and won both contests

• Locked thread