Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamoke
Feb 13, 2010

HAMDINGERS
Best I can do is fifty bucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ebay? What's Ebay?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I found this money in an envelope, how much'll you give me for it?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Say Nothing posted:

Ebay? What's Ebay?

Sure you could sell this on Ebay for $500 but that'll take at least a couple of days. I'll give you $50 and you can run down to the Venetian right now and gamble it away you filthy degenerate.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"I have all this computer I bought from a PC recycling center about a year or so ago that used to belong to Hillary Clinton. I want to see how much this is worth but I'm going to ask for $10000."

"I've got to be honest with you, man, I don't really deal in computers because they've got too much that can go wrong. Here's the thing, if this were a computer that were owned by someone like Steve Jobs, people would care about owning it. But this is like owning a pair of tennis shoes worn by Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg's first bicycle, you know? I'm just going to have to have my computer guy format the hard drive and reinstall Windows, so that's gonna cost me money and going by the dates of all the emails on this thing, it's at least 6 years old and was used up until last year. That tells me one thing: The battery is almost dead, so that's more money I'm going to have to put into it to get to a point to sell it. Really, it's worth about $200 at best after I put in all my money and there's no way I can turn a profit on this. You'd be better just wiping the hard drive and letting your kids put Minecraft on it."

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

*before show* "Yeah, this rifle was used by George Washington himself, is certified, has paperwork dating all the way back. I'm not taking anything less than $10,000 since I take offers of $5000 every day and turn them down."

*after show* "Well, I'm walking away with $50. I know I could have gotten more, but I'm already here and I didn't really want to put it back in my car"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This is some lightning fresh comedy material in this thread here boys drat zingers god drat zingers

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mozi posted:

I found this money in an envelope, how much'll you give me for it?

I'll give you $10 for it; that's as high as I can go.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Fingerprint? Why the gently caress you need my fingerprint?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is some lightning fresh comedy material in this thread here boys drat zingers god drat zingers

:agreed:

Someone should post a link on higher volume websites to this thread and SA will be back on top in no time. Maybe post the URL at a big sporting event perhaps? :shrug:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"I've got a Papal decree from 1603 that allows the bearer passage into Heaven after death, regardless of what sins they might have committed in life. I want to see what Rick will offer me for it..."
*Sold for $10 to the old man*

*Episode End*
"Chumlee, you're making a mess all over the table with Chinese food..."
"It's okay, boss, I set a placemat down. See, it's even got this funny little wax drink coaster that holds my can of Coke in place."
"Placemat? Let me see that... Chumlee, you numbskull! That's was my one-way ticket out of Hell and you've done gone and ruined it!"
"I thought it was fun funny Chinese placemat they rolled up and sent with the meal. I mean, look, it's in Chinese or Japanese, I think..."
"That's LATIN you idiot! Does that look like Chinese to you?!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gaunab posted:

Instead of getting this valuable and historic item appraised and selling it through the proper channels I'm going to go to a pawn shop in vegas and get $50 for and a chance to be on tv.

Ehhh, they get paid to let their items go for stupid prices to "up the drama", so either way they get the price they wanted. (reality TV is never real)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Alright, I think it we need to mix it up again, only on this take, we'll use the take of that guy we visited at his house, told him his heirloom is a hunk of poo poo and lowball the gently caress out of him. Mix it up a little.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

while we're at it I wouldn't mind a bloopers real from intervention (as it's 2008ish itt)

Well, Jaycee, you are surrounded by people who love you and are afraid they're losing-HAHAHA poo poo YOU DEAD NEXT WEEK YOU WORTHLESS PILE OF WORMFOOD!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

"I've got a Papal decree from 1603 that allows the bearer passage into Heaven after death, regardless of what sins they might have committed in life. I want to see what Rick will offer me for it..."

*Episode End*
"It's okay, boss, I set a placemat down. See, it's even got this funny little wax drink coaster that holds my can of Coke in place."
"Placemat? Let me see that... Chumlee, you numbskull! That's was my one-way ticket out of Hell and you've done gone and ruined it!"
"I thought it was fun funny Chinese placemat they rolled up and sent with the meal. I mean, look, it's in Chinese or Japanese, I think..."

do you work for pawn stars

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
"Chum, put this portrait of Timothy Leary in the warehouse. It looks like a fake print on some sort of blotter paper"

*best episode ever with loops of Rick's insouciant snicker*

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
*"I've got some old tools I found in my dad's shed when we were cleaning up that I want to see what they'll give me for them..."*

"Wow, I gotta tell you something, I don't know exactly what I'm looking at here, but just something tells me you may have something here but I'm not sure what, so if you've got the time I'd like to call in my tools expert."

*"I'm C.R.L. Smith-Jones IV, my friends call me C4, and I operate Vintage Tool and Appliances out of Vegas. We operate the largest vintage tool and appliance museum in the state and and Rick called me out to look at some tools a customer brought in."*

"These are the tools, C4. Tell me what you think..."
"Ah, I see why you called me in Rick. These are Craftsman-brand tools and judging by the condition and quality, I'd say they were made in the mid 1980s. They're almost completely untouched, near mint. Tell me, how did you come across such fine examples of Craftsman hand tools in this condition?"
"We were clearing out my dad's old shed and we found a whole bunch of them in a box."
"From the condition of these tools, I take it your dad didn't build that shed did he?" *laughs*"
"No, dad was not a handyman, but for some reason he said when he was about 35 he went and spent about $400 one year at Christmas to buy all these."
"Hmm... You wouldn't happen to have any paperwork with these, too, would you? I mean, in the world of hand tools, documentation is like half the value."
"No, I think we had a receipt but it was damaged and faded."
"Oh, that's a real shame. You see, demand right now for vintage Craftsman tools is at an all-time high, especially in this condition, but having those receipts would make them worth so much more."
"I have his old Sears card he bought them with."
"Is it a classic 'half-sized' Sears credit card?"
"I think so, it's a strange size compared to my credit cards..."
"Hmm... Well, that's a thing on its own, but it doesn't really serve as paperwork. It might be a nice companion piece for these tools."
"What would someone do with tools like this these days?"
"Well, a set like this is a great display set. People showcase them in their garages, their dens, their basements. These have never been hotter than they are right now with the 30-50 year old crowd who want to have all these old tools they used to play around with as kids but their dads wouldn't let them touch."
"Bottom line, how much are they worth?"
"These tools, coupled with the credit card, I think at auction, without paperwork..... .... .... we'd be seeing about $400 for the set."

"So, you heard him say $400, but I can't offer that because I still have to sell them and who know when someone is going to come in here looking for tools, and I'm going to have to sell all of them in a set and that will take time. So what will you take for them?"
"$300?"
"I'm thinking more like $40, because I'm going to sit on these for months and I might never sell them and what am I going to do with a bunch of sockets and tools and hammers and wrenches? I can go up to $50... These take up a lot of space and you feel how heavy they are? That's going to be a lot of work for me to move."
"I don't want to put them all back in my car, so you've got a deal..."
"Thank you. Chum! Come take all this and we'll go get all the paperwork..."

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

what do you mean, it's not real? :(

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
yeah well I was hoping to get like $200 for that diamond necklace, but instead Rick poo poo in my mouth and broke my fingers, so I think I got a pretty good deal

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

*"I've got some old tools I found in my dad's shed when we were cleaning up that I want to see what they'll give me for them..."*

"Wow, I gotta tell you something, I don't know exactly what I'm looking at here, but just something tells me you may have something here but I'm not sure what, so if you've got the time I'd like to call in my tools expert."

*"I'm C.R.L. Smith-Jones IV, my friends call me C4, and I operate Vintage Tool and Appliances out of Vegas. We operate the largest vintage tool and appliance museum in the state and and Rick called me out to look at some tools a customer brought in."*

"Ah, I see why you called me in Rick. These are Craftsman-brand tools and judging by the condition and quality, I'd say they were made in the mid 1980s. They're almost completely untouched, near mint. Tell me, how did you come across such fine examples of Craftsman hand tools in this condition?"
"We were clearing out my dad's old shed and we found a whole bunch of them in a box."
"From the condition of these tools, I take it your dad didn't build that shed did he?" *laughs*"
"No, dad was not a handyman, but for some reason he said when he was about 35 he went and spent about $400 one year at Christmas to buy all these."
"Hmm... You wouldn't happen to have any paperwork with these, too, would you? I mean, in the world of hand tools, documentation is like half the value."
"Oh, that's a real shame. You see, demand right now for vintage Craftsman tools is at an all-time high, especially in this condition, but having those receipts would make them worth so much more."
"Hmm... Well, that's a thing on its own, but it doesn't really serve as paperwork. It might be a nice companion piece for these tools."
"Well, a set like this is a great display set. People showcase them in their garages, their dens, their basements. These have never been hotter than they are right now with the 30-50 year old crowd who want to have all these old tools they used to play around with as kids but their dads wouldn't let them touch."
"These tools, coupled with the credit card, I think at auction, without paperwork..... .... .... we'd be seeing about $400 for the set."

"So, you heard him say $400, but I can't offer that because I still have to sell them and who know when someone is going to come in here looking for tools, and I'm going to have to sell all of them in a set and that will take time. So what will you take for them?"
"$300?"
"I'm thinking more like $40, because I'm going to sit on these for months and I might never sell them and what am I going to do with a bunch of sockets and tools and hammers and wrenches? I can go up to $50... These take up a lot of space and you feel how heavy they are? That's going to be a lot of work for me to move."
holy poo poo

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

what do you mean, it's not real? :(

They give random dudes antique trash from the back to "bring in" if no one shows with anything interesting.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

JediTalentAgent posted:

"$300?"

Which of the following people never owned a tool?

A. Hermann Goering

B. Erik the Red

C. Tiny Tim

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"Hey dad check it out I just bought this mint condition vintage high end speedboat owned by JFK for $30"
"Goddamnit Corey you know boats are moneysinks we'll never make money off this!"
*Camera cuts to Chum Lee fiddling with the boat and getting his dick cut off after starting the propeller while the old man watches and shakes his head disapprovingly

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I think their store has a mold problem because they all have severe sinus problems.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Gobblecoque posted:

"Hey dad check it out I just bought this mint condition vintage high end speedboat owned by JFK for $30"
"Goddamnit Corey you know boats are moneysinks we'll never make money off this!"
*Camera cuts to Chum Lee fiddling with the boat and getting his dick cut off after starting the propeller while the old man watches and shakes his head disapprovingly

*old man puts on his hat and mumbles* "idiot..."

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
"No offense Chumley, but i prefer Hardcore Pawn"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why would anyone sell their poo poo to a pawn shop, when they can get what the pawn shop would charge for it by selling it on craigs list

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Rutibex posted:

why would anyone sell their poo poo to a pawn shop, when they can get what the pawn shop would charge for it by selling it on craigs list

I don't like interacting with poor people and felons. With a pawn shop they are probably felons but theres cameras n poo poo around.

CL is only a semi civilized method of commerce in a college town.

I don't use either because selling my old TV/electronics is literally not worth my free time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

<goes to parking lot to sell vintage stereo to a guy on craigslist>
<gets stabbed>

<finds buyer for his high-end mountain bike on craigslist>
<buyer comes to his house, lowballs, doesn't even seem interested in the bike>
<home gets robbed the next week while he is at work>

<posts ad for 42" tv on craigslist>
<5 hours after posting the ad his phone and email starts to get bombarded with junkmail messages>

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Hardcore Pawn was better.. every episode is: customer comes in, they act racist to customer, customer leaves. And Les's disgusting grease mullet I mean cmon now..

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
do you people live in somalia or something

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Good question. Pawnhops sell poo poo on Craigslist all the time

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I've got Abraham Lincolns tophat here.

*pulls live rabbit out of hat with sly grin*

*pulls live bullet out of hat with sly grin*

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Rutibex posted:

Theres actually a lot of Somalis where I live.

The craigslist scene is nasty.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Sentient Data posted:

Ok, that'd actually make for a good bit. Go in on a filming day and tell him you just want your pawn stars dvd signed (on camera), then immediately walk over to another guy and ask how much you can get for it

if theyre being honest theyd prolly have to tell you that its worth gently caress all now

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

Depending on where you live, craigslist can be a really good way to sell stuff, or a really good way to get in trouble/have your time wasted.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

*Episode End*

Most accurate post in the thread so far.

I'll give you a 4 for it, that's as high as I can go.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blistex posted:

<goes to parking lot to sell vintage stereo to a guy on craigslist>
<gets stabbed>

<finds buyer for his high-end mountain bike on craigslist>
<buyer comes to his house, lowballs, doesn't even seem interested in the bike>
<home gets robbed the next week while he is at work>

<posts ad for 42" tv on craigslist>
<5 hours after posting the ad his phone and email starts to get bombarded with junkmail messages>

I've lived in the Seattle, Portland and DC areas and this scenario has literally never happened. Closest thing to seediness was someone selling me an iPhone with broken speakers, but that was a cheap fix so joke was on that dude.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kuato posted:

I've lived in the Seattle, Portland and DC areas and this scenario has literally never happened. Closest thing to seediness was someone selling me an iPhone with broken speakers, but that was a cheap fix so joke was on that dude.

Like I said, it's very dependant on where you live, and I'd probably add, what you are selling as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blistex posted:

Like I said, it's very dependant on where you live, and I'd probably add, what you are selling as well.
Yeah that still doesn't happen. you never provide your phone # until you have someone ready to buy, and cl provides a temp email for you. you do get occasionally dumbasses who come a bit short and are like "but that's all I have!!" after you agreed for a price over email. you also don't have to meet at your house if you're really paranoid, many times are just meeting halfway somewhere if it's not too bulky.

worst i can say is around here most are savvy enough to look up on amazon/ebay and price their used poo poo the same price as something new on amazon, so it's flooded with a lot of overpriced garbage (like most antique places/flea markets are now a days). likewise buyers are smart enough to snap up the good deals. so unless you check CL religiously, you are probably going to miss the better deals though there's always a few exceptions like I bought some really cheap good condition kindle paperwhites, awesome weight set that someone barely used, some nice solid wood furniture (which was a loving bitch to move).

I'd agree that success is dependent at location but unless you live in deep meth country in podunk methtown, it'd be fine. and yeah it's probably very dependent on what you're buying though, i don't really go for electronics but exercise equipment and (wood/solid) furniture is amazing.

• Locked thread