Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Railgun 89

I assume the Accelerator fight that team is talking about happened in another A Certain work, cause I sure don't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
accelerator has beaten up so many dorky "dark side" teams that one more shouldn't be a surprise

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even Kengan Ashua can't escape having a beach episode - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-005-Ch-040?id=327718

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite fighter is back and smilier than ever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

My favorite fighter is back and smilier than ever.

Weapon Kung Fu man ftw

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Weapon Kung Fu man ftw

Such 'MURICA from him and the street fighter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Promised Neverland continues to be pretty good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The Promised Neverland continues to be pretty good.

Eh. I'm not sure I can buy that Ray has been planning all this since age 5. No kid that young is that smart and calm.

I'm not sure how Emma's plan has a chance of succeeding. Ray has a point; there's no way they can remain perpetually on the run from the demons while accompanied by so many toddlers.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
They're anime kids, they all have IQs of like 300 and dumb poo poo like that because that's anime.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Slime posted:

They're anime kids, they all have IQs of like 300 and dumb poo poo like that because that's anime.

The test scores don't necessarily map to modern IQ tests; all we really know about how scores are calculated is that 300 is the highest possible score. Plus, isn't taking IQ tests more than once a year considered to make them less reliable as an indicator of overall cognitive ability? The kids are taking these things every day.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kengan Ashua has fantastic omake chapters - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-005-Ch-040-005?id=329001

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The new Promised Neverland nails a whole chapter in a single page.

Emma doesn't play around, gently caress.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
So Magi updated with a surprisingly low key chapter, considering what happened last time, but the last page has grabbed my attention way harder than all this god power escalation stuff

http://bato.to/reader#fbe2a529e48e9339_3

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pierson posted:

The new Promised Neverland nails a whole chapter in a single page.

Emma doesn't play around, gently caress.

:magical:

It's always the smiling, innocent ones who are scary as gently caress when they get serious.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm liking The Promised Neverland, but I'm not sure how much of that is the current writing or me being really excited for the eventual reveal of just what the gently caress the outside world is.

As a bit of meta thought about where the story is going to go: I'm expecting either a TPK or major time skip once they put their plan into action. A distant third idea is that only 1 of them lives (Emma probably) and she gets put into system like Sister Krone hinted at.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

I'm liking The Promised Neverland, but I'm not sure how much of that is the current writing or me being really excited for the eventual reveal of just what the gently caress the outside world is.

As a bit of meta thought about where the story is going to go: I'm expecting either a TPK or major time skip once they put their plan into action. A distant third idea is that only 1 of them lives (Emma probably) and she gets put into system like Sister Krone hinted at.

A time skip may be necessary at some point, if only because a story about the logistics of 12-year-olds caring for toddlers wouldn't be much fun to read.

I doubt they'd kill off everyone like that in a Jump manga. Is there any precedent for that? I guess basically every major character except Near and Matsuda ended up dying in Death Note.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

A time skip may be necessary at some point, if only because a story about the logistics of 12-year-olds caring for toddlers wouldn't be much fun to read.

I doubt they'd kill off everyone like that in a Jump manga. Is there any precedent for that? I guess basically every major character except Near and Matsuda ended up dying in Death Note.

Jojo's part 1 ends up with the titular hero dying

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Erg posted:

Jojo's part 1 ends up with the titular hero dying

True, although Erina, Speedwagon, Tonpetti, and Straizo survive, so it's hardly a TPK.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crain posted:

I doubt that they'll all die, mainly because they've spent such a ridiculously long time on chapters building up to the inevitable escape attempt. I could see something going wrong and resulting in most of the other kids being captured killed (maybe they're introducing Don and Gilda for the purposes of having named - but not major - characters that can be killed off). I actually think that's kind of likely, if for no other reason than the fact that it would be really awkward to have this whole band of kids travelling around.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 15, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the manga started with one dead kid. while i doubt there will be an eclipse scene where they all die in graphic detail, i wouldn't be surprised if they died off-panel.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The only thing I don't want to happen is Mama to turn face and suddenly be all "LOL JUST BEEN TRAINING YOU TO SECRETLY BE BADASS WARRIORS LET DO THIS KIDS!".

Which I'm kinda thinking has more of a chance than I'd like with her being all "These kids of mine are REALLY SPECIAL".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be honest I really don't see how they're going to survive without Mama heel-turning. I think they'll probably run into trouble and Mama will save them at the last minute.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
From what I've noticed, TPKs generally happen in the first chapter or the very end in series like this. At the start, the TPK sets the tone, and someone comes in to be the "I'm gonna train the survivor(s) to save the world". At the end, the TPK adds a bittersweet or tragic tone to the ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she has only been training them according to what the demons want. the daily testing is how they grade the livestock, though it is still unclear how that works. mama hasn't taught any of them to be independent thinkers or useful skills. ray seems to be on the track to become a papa somewhere, assuming that is even possible.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she has only been training them according to what the demons want. the daily testing is how they grade the livestock, though it is still unclear how that works.

I mean, with this one I'm just thinking it's just a "I don't gotta explain poo poo, it's magic".

They're demons, they eat smarts from the brains, and the Einsteins of the group are pretty much Wagyu beef to them.

Or it could be something else entirely. I don't think they explicitly had the demons say "the smarter ones are the tastiest" Just that the tests dictate harvest order and the smartest ones get reserved for a special sacrifice to [untranslatable leaf language thing].

It could be:

- If you don't average a certain score before age 6 you just get got.
- If you do score high enough before age 6 you have the potential to qualify for this sacrifice they're doing and you are kept on until you either fall below the score again, or reach age 12.

Like if you're just a dummy then gently caress it let's eat, but at least a few gotta be ground up into smarts powder every year so keep an eye out for that.

Or I dunno the dude thinks your brain stops growing when you're 12 which isn't remotely true so he's probably just throwing poo poo out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Regarding the brain stuff, it's entirely possible that (just like humans) the demons judge the quality of food based upon a bunch of stuff other than taste. The idea that they'd consider "super smart brains" some sort of delicacy doesn't necessarily require that there be any tangible effect or difference in taste.

Crain posted:

The only thing I don't want to happen is Mama to turn face and suddenly be all "LOL JUST BEEN TRAINING YOU TO SECRETLY BE BADASS WARRIORS LET DO THIS KIDS!".

Which I'm kinda thinking has more of a chance than I'd like with her being all "These kids of mine are REALLY SPECIAL".

Oh wow, how did I not consider this possibility. Now that you mention it, it seems not entirely impossible that Mama is working undercover and planning to raise especially effective children. Probably the biggest evidence against that are the facts that 1. she did aggressively seek to find out who discovered the "secret" and 2. the reason they've given for her behavior (not wanting to lose the rep from being forced into delivering the "product" early, given her reputation) makes perfect sense.

I've been catching up on Magi, and it is such a good series. I think what I like so much about it compared with most other shounen stuff is the fact that the general world and its history/mythology is far more convincing and feels a lot more like real-life myths than in most other series. The chapters detailing what happened on Alma Torran and lead to the creation of the current world were really interesting. Both Arba and Sinbad are also extremely compelling villains, with Arba as the "super insane and evil" type and Sinbad as a more morally grey tragic figure who has been corrupted by his own success. The same actually goes for a lot of the villains, like old mage dude or Alibaba's friend; unlike many other shounen, redemption makes some degree of sense because it's easy to understand how the characters came to their views in the first place.

The main cast of characters is also very likable (which I find tends to be a trend for shounen series written by women; possibly because most male writers are terrible at writing female characters) and the story also lacks a lot of the obnoxious/dumb bullshit that plagues many other series. I was happy when Alibaba proposed to Morgiana, even though it was kinda sudden and the pair-up was mostly predictable (though some people seemed to think her ending up with Hakuryuu was a possibility, but I didn't really see it happening); it's certainly better than meaninglessly drawing things out until the final chapter. Aladdin and Kougyoku is also a kinda interesting and unpredictable match-up, though I think that might partly be due to Aladdin's age at the start of the series making it difficult to establish any long-running romantic tension with any of the main cast. I like how despite being "kinda smug literally all-knowing super mage" Aladdin is still really awkward in certain social situations, like when he tries to hit on Kougyoku in the same chapter Alibaba proposed to Morgiana and she's like "lol we'll see."

Probably my one complaint with Magi is the fact that the fight scenes are not very interesting and usually just consist of the characters throwing huge attacks at each other until the stronger one wins. This doesn't bug me that much, but it feels like a huge lost opportunity given how potentially robust the whole "metal vessels representing different elements/concepts" idea is. This is something that Black Clover also kind of fucks up, in my opinion; there's not really much preestablished rhyme or reason to the way any of the magic, aside from Aster's, works. People just throw poo poo at each other and the narrative tells us whether it's strong or not.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Wall o Text incoming.

Here’s something interesting I noticed today: Red Sprite and The Promised Neverland are telling the same story. This isn’t a “Pixar Theory” shared universe thing, just an observation that the two stories have very, very similar structure and yet produce two different results. So both stories cold open with an orphanage. Both stories feature a semi religious parent figure, play fighting to establish character hierarchy, physical aesthetics on the characters to hint at a greater story element, and the overbearing question of “What is the outside world”. Red sprite has Professor Durant, the sword fight to show Tatsu #1, the stripes on their hands (which I actually completely missed when I started reading it until Durant explicitly pointed it out, which makes me think an editor told him to put that in), and the red herring of “we’re sick and can’t leave”. The Promised Neverland has Mama, the games of tag, the big old serial numbers on their necks, and the not so red herring to the outside world of “Yeah just loving don’t”. It’s hard to go much further with similarities because of the next thing I want to mention: The pacing.

So story wise The Promised Neverland is way behind Red Sprite, so we can’t talk much more about how the characters develop until the kids in TPN finally decide to make their move, or have it made on them. But we can look at how the two authors have chosen to drive their stories. To establish the same info for their stories and reach the first reveal for the crisis RS uses 12 pages and TPN uses 39. For RS that’s when the soldiers first attack. For TPN that’s when we first see the demons, although you could call it 36 pages for when they see Conny dead. I don’t count that because Conny being dead isn’t the crisis, the demons and the fact that they’re cattle are. And if we keep going RS answers all the questions that TPN is using as mystery fuel by page 39 as well. By page 20 in their first chapter we learn just what the outside world is like, we learn what is up with the kids, and we learn what the main conflict is actually going to be. And the coup de grace is that by page 39 in RS we get the drat time skip. With TPN, 14 chapters later we still don’t know what the situation is in the outside world, we barely know what the stakes actually are in the story, we know next to nothing about the main enemies beyond like 3 concrete things (Mamas/farms, demon king/god, kid quality), and we’re still on the drat boa-I mean farm. And that’s actually not a complaint. The Promised Neverland is telling its story a totally different way. I just find it really interesting that these two very different stories are hitting almost all the same story beats.

Now directly comparing the two stops here because, well, TPN needs to catch up. We don’t know if the stories are going to diverge radically or not. Well, we can make a pretty good guess. It is in SHONEN jump, and while it has mystery elements it’s most likely going to pick up in the action department around the time of the big reveal. I just don’t see SJ picking up a pure mystery series where the most action we get is some sneaking around and running. But they did run Death Note and that was 90% mental action/mystery so who knows. But there are still very similar themes running elsewhere we can point to. Both pretty much have the same sort of power structure being faced by the protagonists. You can draw parallels between the Rulers/generals of Edenia and the Demons in TPN (especially with the reveal at the end of the latest RS chapter). Over bearing, near supernatural figures that have some kind of anomalous technology at their disposal. Then there is the obvious “human cattle” theme in both, with RS having them as batteries and TPN going for literal cattle. Then there is Mama’s statement of “These are my Very Special children” that may end up showing another parallel to the Super Battery Kids. You can also make a comparison between the Thundershock soldiers used by Edina and the Mamas in TPN. Slaves/cattle who were absorbed into their oppressors ranks.
I don’t have anything to really say about who is doing better. I like both series. I will say I’m enjoying Red Sprite more because it’s a not wasting any effort. It flows better and is a straight up brawler story that’s so far doing a good job setting up a fighting system that looks like it will be kept consistent and interesting. But I also like the cerebral nature of The Promised Neverland.

Ok I lied I do have one criticism (that was already brought up about TPN specifically, but I think it stands out more when compared to RS here) and that is TPN is really bad about telling, not showing and RS is really good at showing and not telling. TPN abused the tests to establish the main characters. It mishandled the games of tag to show who is good at what. The greatest example of this is when Norman is revealed to be a master tactician. Instead of showing the drat chase and what he actually does to corner Emma they just go “Oh It’s just Norman and Emma” –record scratch- “OOOOH MAN! I’m sooo much faster than you but you beat me! How?” “Tactics” “Wow you’re a genius!”. That could have been a great scene but the author just dropped it. Compare that to how the fight scenes play out with Tatsu. He just does cool poo poo that you can actually guess about before they explain it after, which I still think is the editors doing because you really can infer how this stuff works by paying attention. Take the fight against the first 5 Super Crew soldiers. Tatsu loving bodies them by overcharging via Mono, but we already saw that happen without it being told to us. In the opening chapter we see that he can be overcharged when Durant does it to him, and then the chapter or so before when he fights Prissy Von Cattleprod and just absorbs the power. You already know it’s a thing he does. Although that is the first time we get shown that getting super super charged really gives him a power up. Now don’t get me wrong, RS has plenty of exposition too, but I think it’s handled better. Plus, it’s being a pure brawler manga means they don’t have the same amount to explain.
Well that’s me burning an hour or so tonight. Looking forward to more magnet fights and being told how cool tag is.

Side note: Anyone else getting a lot of Fullmetal Alchemist vibes from Red Sprite. Especially from the Edina leaders faces? The only other series the author has worked on seems to be some original one shots but drat if I’m not getting a distinct Homunculus vibe from the Party leaders.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I just want to see this ASH soldier business get going.

OH you thought 80 neural type plasmarrows was our game? Nope suck this undead muthafucka right down the piehole.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, i didn't think anyone liked red sprite that much.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I was really

Really

REALLY Bored today at work.

But yeah Red Sprite is really fun so far. I think it's the FMA vibes I'm getting from it.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

While I wouldn't call it a favourite, the lightning (heh) fast pacing caught my attention just from the first few chapters and I enjoy fighting manga with interesting powers, so I'm keeping up with it to see how it goes.

I wonder if it'll be a short-ish story even, like Sahara the Flower Samurai was. It'd be nice to see more completed miniseries as opposed to stories intended to be long runners that get cancelled with rushed/unresolved endings.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

VibrantPareidolia posted:

While I wouldn't call it a favourite, the lightning (heh) fast pacing caught my attention just from the first few chapters and I enjoy fighting manga with interesting powers, so I'm keeping up with it to see how it goes.

I wonder if it'll be a short-ish story even, like Sahara the Flower Samurai was. It'd be nice to see more completed miniseries as opposed to stories intended to be long runners that get cancelled with rushed/unresolved endings.

Shonen does need to re up their big 3 though. Torikos out, Bleach loving died, and Naruto is in a state of undeath with Boruto.

One Piece is basically just a calendar at this point. It's always there.

Also we get a new series next week.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Crain posted:

Shonen does need to re up their big 3 though. Torikos out, Bleach loving died, and Naruto is in a state of undeath with Boruto.

One Piece is basically just a calendar at this point. It's always there.

Also we get a new series next week.

The big 3 was primarily a western invention; there's not really a reason for Jump to advertise their three biggest series when they can instead advertise their twelve biggest or however many they have that are successful at any given time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Sprite is okay but its main cast isn't terribly interesting as of yet.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
rumor has it that world trigger will be on hiatus indefinitely (due to the author's neck and shoulder problems) any substance to that?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If it's true, it solidifies my theory that smart shounen series can't work :( Hunter x Hunter and World Trigger both go on Hiatus. One Piece, while more simple than the HxH and WT, is slowly killing Oda because the dude won't stop. "Mindless" stuff like Bleach and Naruto just moved along and finished fine. :sigh: We can't have nice battle manga :(

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
man, don't want to sound like an insurance company but a preexisting condition is a preexisting condition, and intelligence in comic writing does not invoke the curse of long hiatuses

more of a thing to say that comics already have a breakneck pace of production which eventually takes its toll

oh god .. break-neck i'm so sorry

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

If it's true, it solidifies my theory that smart shounen series can't work :( Hunter x Hunter and World Trigger both go on Hiatus. One Piece, while more simple than the HxH and WT, is slowly killing Oda because the dude won't stop. "Mindless" stuff like Bleach and Naruto just moved along and finished fine. :sigh: We can't have nice battle manga :(

Bleach got loving cancelled, I wouldn't call that "finishing fine".

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

dordreff posted:

Bleach got loving cancelled, I wouldn't call that "finishing fine".

It finished one way or another. We'll never see HxH or Berserk end before the heat death of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

World Trigger is mind numbingly boring.