Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Polling is only going to get shittier every cycle. By 2024, polls will all be "poo poo, I don't know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

exquisite tea posted:

If early voting trends are not matching the polls, then the problem has more to do with the initial assumptions you made in your model, which can be better controlled for than creating some kind of arbitrary fudge factor for early voting (which we cannot know for certain until Tuesday). Like for example, not including sketchy landline only polls with a high MoE.

For models constructed solely off of polls, it's GIGO. But it may not be just because of garbage landline-only polls- CNN/ORC recently found Trump up in NV, and they're not exactly Gravis or ARG. The bigger problem with the polls, right now, is that many voters (Hispanic, low propensity) are not making it through LV screens or being contacted at all due to polls being largely conducted in English. And these are voters which we're being told by the Clinton campaign are turning out in massive numbers in FL.

On some level, it comes down to the fact that Clinton's campaign is turning out voters who would be missed by LV screens early, and it's not Nate's job to determine how good or bad a pollster's LV screen is. This is, however, shown in the EV numbers we're seeing. There's *some* predictive power there- NV-based journalists have read the tea leaves correctly several times in recent memory, beating out the polls.

Maybe Nate can add EV numbers in some way to Polls-Plus, because that model is full of subjective crap that doesn't improve the model.

a patagonian cavy has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Nov 5, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Patter Song posted:

Polling is only going to get shittier every cycle. By 2024, polls will all be "poo poo, I don't know."

p sure we're there right now

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Actually, Brier Scores are used precisely for that reason:

http://rationality.org/2012/11/09/was-nate-silver-the-most-accurate-2012-election-pundit/

But the most impressive thing is that Linzer's model called it all correctly in July.

Thanks for the link, it was a really interesting read.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lol wtf is this supposed to mean

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

poppingseagull posted:

Thanks for the link, it was a really interesting read.

Now, keep in mind that those were only for election day predictions. If they tried to find who was right, earlier, Drew Linzer correctly picked all states in July:

http://votamatic.org/2012-forecast-tracker/

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
drat, Nate's really losing his poo poo: https://medium.com/@and0/election-update-how-our-model-works-8acb97202277#.vq6xkud27

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

someone (who's not lazy like me) should make a chart showing all of the times every site changed its predictions and how often they were on the correct side

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

holy poo poo this is amazing

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mukaikubo posted:

i agree but for different reasons

Like, it's looking super likely that there'll be a half dozen states his model gives between 30 and 70% odds of going for one candidate or another. Even if Nate's model was completely inarguably correct in estimating the uncertainty, the odds are it would get a couple of those states wrong because that is how stats work. Nate is, when he says he expects to get a few states wrong this time, adhering to his model as constructed.

As it happened, you agreed for exactly the same reason as I did.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Patter Song posted:

One of the recent 538 podcasts touched on that a bit, I think. What with more polling companies moving to in-house stuff on account that funding from universities and newspapers are going down. Not sure if I'm remembering that right.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794972961019232256

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Admitting that your model isn't a very good predictor of reality doesn't strike me as a particularly smart business decision.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Samuel Clemens posted:

Admitting that your model isn't a very good predictor of reality doesn't strike me as a particularly smart business decision.

i think you'll find that by "election forecast" he meant "summary of what polls say"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794994593574113282

maybe you might think that huffpo article is wrong but i'm not sure how criticizing nate silver is inherently irresponsible

edit: he's so mad he's makin typos

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794996711315951616

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

lmao

edit:

double edit: fuuuuckk you ^

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

God drat those graphics are brilliant.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

he's so mad he's barley making sense anymore

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794997715604213761

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

nate silver's going to have a stroke on tuesday and trump's going to teabag his corpse

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

God drat those graphics are brilliant.

Haha I thought that snappy tweet was about it and my heart almost skipped a beat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Concerned Citizen posted:

maybe you might think that huffpo article is wrong but i'm not sure how criticizing nate silver is inherently irresponsible

edit: he's so mad he's makin typos

The Medium article was not a parody.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This seems like the place to ask people's opinions on this:

Given 538's model is far more in line with the betting market's predictions for the probabilities of a Clinton/Trump win, and people here seem to think that Nate's model is overly conservative on Clinton, what's driving the underestimation of the Clinton winning probability in the betting markets? Motivated reasoning?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CottonWolf posted:

Given 538's model is far more in line with the betting market's predictions for the probabilities of a Clinton/Trump win, and people here seem to think that Nate's model is overly conservative on Clinton, what's driving the underestimation of the Clinton winning probability in the betting markets? Motivated reasoning?

pants making GBS threads

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Replace 'liberals' with 'polls', and this is what I imagine Nate's current state of mind to be.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

I assume there's a natural aversion to putting down money for little gain. I mean if you put down a dollar on the stock market and make a dollar five back in a month that's great but with betting entertainment I assume once the return gets below 10% there is a natural attraction to the minority odds just because of the potential for large gains on small money.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bip Roberts posted:

I assume there's a natural aversion to putting down money for little gain. I mean if you put down a dollar on the stock market and make a dollar five back in a month that's great but with betting entertainment I assume once the return gets below 10% there is a natural attraction to the minority odds just because of the potential for large gains on small money.

That makes sense. Now I think about it I can buy some sort of sigmoidal curve there, especially with loss aversion. If I have to put down my entire life savings to make £100 on basically a sure thing bet, aversion to the infinitesimal risk of losing my life savings is far larger than to the attraction of an almost certain £100 gain.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Is it? predictwise is giving Clinton an 86% chance of victory. Much less than Yang's but similar to the New York Times. Also I seem to remember markets have trouble accurately pricing highly improbable events, and often severely misprice them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

The odds on prediction markets are determined by the individual participants, who are by and large not rational actors. The horse-race narrative pushed in the media has a large impact on how people feel about this election, which in turn is reflected in their willingness to bet. Add in the fact that some people bet on a candidate because they want them to win rather than because they expect them to and that humans generally overestimate small probabilities while overestimating large ones, and it's easy to see why the markets are flawed. It's the whole reason smart investors can actually make money off them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Squalid posted:

Is it? predictwise is giving Clinton an 86% chance of victory. Much less than Yang's but similar to the New York Times. Also I seem to remember markets have trouble accurately pricing highly improbable events, and often severely misprice them.

The averaged betfair/predictit odds are sitting at around 77% at the moment. Here.

e: Actually just the betfair odds by the looks of things, I thought it used both.

CottonWolf has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Nov 5, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Schwarzwald posted:

As it happened, you agreed for exactly the same reason as I did.

poo poo, sorry, misinterpreted what you wrote then!

Also that HuffPo article is hot garbage and whoever wrote it should probably be smacked with the "Actually, You Are Kind Of A Stupid Blogger" nerf bat, but it's hardly irresponsible and it's hilarious how much Nate's loving melted down over it. And this is coming from someone who instinctively errs on the side of higher uncertainty in estimates. 99% is just flat out bullshit- it's basically saying that systematic polling errors like have happened a number of times in recent history are impossible because somehow sample size can correct for systemic error. It's not right. I'm pretty sure Nate's overestimating uncertainty and how correlated errors in state-by-state results are going to be, but I would much prefer people err on the side of wide error bars than narrow ones. This is p. much the same model that has worked pretty okay the last few national elections. It didn't magically start being bullshit. It just so happened that this election cycle presented a list of conditions that gives his model heartburn and causes it to throw out wide error bars. It's not Nate "unskewing polls"- that's juvenile Huffpo idiocy that's an actual example of the clickbait people accuse 538 of. Nate'll probably go back to the drawing board and change his model once his blood pressure drops back into the triple digits in December.

I dunno! Nate is a bit "funny" but I like him still. :shobon: He isn't the be all and end all of forecasting, but he never was. He's just a dude who knows some about stats who is good at communicating them to the public. That's not a skill set to be thrown out.

edit: also

quote:

@NateSilver538 15m15 minutes ago

The philosophy behind 538 is: Prove it. Doesn't mean we can't be wrong (we're wrong all the time). But prove it. Don't be lazy.

This is why I get kind of baffled by the people accusing Nate of being super arrogant and insisting he's always right. He says this kind of poo poo all the time...?

Mukaikubo has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Nov 5, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
takes a special kind of perspective to think "i've been wrong before" is an actual display of humility

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Nate is having an... interesting meltdown on Twitter right now to say the least

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

CottonWolf posted:

The 538 probability likely has an effect on betting markets, too.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

James Garfield posted:

The 538 probability likely has an effect on betting markets, too.

I put $50 on the election on PredictIt based on the assumption that this was undervaluing Dem chances.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/795041766877646848

gonna be real interesting to see what nate does once 538 gets the plug pulled on it sometime between wednesday and the end of the year

e - gently caress it i dunno why its not showing up

C. Everett Koop has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Nov 6, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

-shitloads of bad polls
-race tightening even in good polls
-loads of dumb money flowing in at the last minute

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

Add in the fact that some people bet on a candidate because they want them to win rather than because they expect them to and that humans generally overestimate small probabilities while overestimating large ones, and it's easy to see why the markets are flawed.

Wouldn't people betting on who they want to win rather than who they expect to win make them more in line with polls, rather than otherwise?

Unless betters are inherently more pro Trump than nonbetters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

"@ryangrim Fight me. I'll be in the parking lot in front of Denny's in an hour, be there or be square."

• Locked thread