Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I feel like this game is going to end up as expensive as tabletop eventually. It's fun so far though.

How do I enter the goon tournamentl

I think it's impossible at this point for the game to be as expensive as the tabletop. The tabletop already cost me more than all the Paradox DLC that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

John Charity Spring posted:

I like using them as flank anchors a little way ahead of the main line at one end. If they get mobbed up you can turn handgunners/artillery on whatever's clustered round them, and if the AI ignores them you can use them to fire into the melee along your front.

It's also worth noting that while their main gun won't fire when they're in melee, their steam gun will and it can cut through infantry.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That reminds me. How accurate are ranged units and how likely are they to friendly fire(if that's enabled in this game, which I'm pretty sure it is)

All ranged units are equally accurate and they'll hit the enemy much more than they will your own guys unless there's a big size differential between the two units. Normally the only reason to care about friendly fire is when the ranged unit has a debuff attached to it, because even a single arrow will apply that to your own dudes as well as the enemy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Artillery can do pretty serious friendly fire damage to your own guys if you aren't careful. I think the amount of friendly fire damage is also modified by difficulty.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Even if they do $60 worth of DLC for each $60 stand-alone it's not hitting $400. I don't think it'll hit much over $300, really, once you factor in first week purchase bonuses/discounts.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally consolidated the southern grey mountains as Skarsnik at turn 25.

Now the world's superpower Clan Angrund is knocking on my door and can't be negotiated with. :shepface:

Does anyone have a worse starting position than Skarsnik? You really take starting in a walled capitol for granted.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

brocretin posted:

All ranged units are equally accurate and they'll hit the enemy much more than they will your own guys unless there's a big size differential between the two units. Normally the only reason to care about friendly fire is when the ranged unit has a debuff attached to it, because even a single arrow will apply that to your own dudes as well as the enemy.

In Rome 2 and Attila there is a hidden height modifier that actually makes it far more likely your troops will hit your own guys rather than the enemy. Like it makes the enemy units .85 of their height and friendly units 1.15 of their actual height for calculation purposes and that means your dudes soak the arrows. In unit testing it was always worse to have a unit firing into a melee than it was to simply have the unit fighting - took more casualties, inflicted few kills.

Here's the relevant vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2CDVqdYXSU

Given CA's love of hidden modifiers like that, I don't think saying like "Yeah it just works like you think so go ahead and fire into the mass" is the way to go. The other thing is that Warhammer added some specific rules against friendly fire, so it's possible they removed the friendly fire height thing. Or maybe they left it in. You'd really have to test to figure out which is optimal.

[edit]
Here's another Vid that shows it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvxWC108eEQ

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 5, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When is it good to take captives vs kill them? What are the pros and cons to each, besides the obvious getting money or leadership bonus. Do you guys usually do one or the other, or is it more situational?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Yeah, I knew about the hidden modifiers. I haven't looked at the databases myself, but it definitely feels like they aren't in this game. In Attila friendly fire would kill your units ridiculously fast.

Megasabin posted:

When is it good to take captives vs kill them? What are the pros and cons to each, besides the obvious getting money or leadership bonus. Do you guys usually do one or the other, or is it more situational?

Killing captives has a tendency to give your lords the cruel trait, which sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

brocretin posted:

Yeah, I knew about the hidden modifiers. I haven't looked at the databases myself, but it definitely feels like they aren't in this game. In Attila friendly fire would kill your units ridiculously fast.

Killing captives has a tendency to give your lords the cruel trait, which sucks.

Works for Orcs.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Killing/Releasing captives also has a diplomatic impact with other factions depending on how they feel about the people you are slaughtering. It's minor, but killing captives for a race that everyone hates (eg Greenskins) can help you amass brownie points with your neighbors.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Nanomashoes posted:

Ok, I've tried every loving strategy I can think of against Bretonnia as chaos, I've massed chosen, massed chaos marauders, fought them in the air, tried forsaken, tried chaos warriors, but the problem is they'll always have more units than you, there's no easy way to get into their skirmishers, and their loving flying goonsquad is always better than your lords/heroes and can't be grounded if they know what they're doing. It's insanely dumb.
Incidentally, for all curious, Nanomashoes and I tried an all-shielded Chaos Warrior line and let the Peasant Bowmen loose ALL of their arrows while the Hellcannon struck. This actually worked out in Chaos's favor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How should I make my Orc stacks in the midgame? Still fighting dwarves. I've got the hang of chaining victories together to make WAAAAGHs happen but dwarf lines just take so long to go down I'm reorganizing my armies because it's still too hard even with 2 or 3 to 1 advantage in numbers.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nano vs Beans:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n71uakt1ufms5bh/nano%20vs%20beans.zip?dl=0

Game 1: VC (nano) vs greenskins (beans) WIGHT KING terrifies 400 greenskins off the field
Game 2: empire(nano) vs chaos (beans) skirmish cavalry skirmish mode is weird. Halberdiers don't have armor like i thought they did, doh. Beans wins
game 3: Greenskins (nano) Vs bretonia (beans) I mistake foot of gork for fists of gork and cast it on my cavalry. gg
game 4: Chaos (nano) vs empire (beans) "infantry? I don't need infantry haha" says beans as terror frightens off all my units that would win if they just stand and fought
overall score: 3-1 beans

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

How should I make my Orc stacks in the midgame? Still fighting dwarves. I've got the hang of chaining victories together to make WAAAAGHs happen but dwarf lines just take so long to go down I'm reorganizing my armies because it's still too hard even with 2 or 3 to 1 advantage in numbers.

Big 'uns or skulkers. Possibly some trolls. Maybe some goblins to eat quarrels if you want to save money. Squigs or boar boys. Three or so rock lobbers. No archers. A shaman.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, Little Waaagh! is so ridiculously quick at firing buffs and debuffs everywhere, I feel like Big Waaagh! is kinda underpowered compared to it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What's the point of Night Goblins?

Regular goblins have more armor, are considerably cheaper, and have a few less points of damage. With the changes in King and Warlord, they now also can get poison.

I was thinking maybe as some sort of vanguard deploy force, and using them to gently caress with artillery or something while the rest of your army shores up, but goblins don't have the staying power to be away from their Lord that long/don't do that much damage/tend to just die while trying. I found it was easier to just replace them with Spider Riders and playing gently caress you spider time around back while my army got to the front.

Fanatics are fun sure, but the damage just isn't worth it from what I've seen. Especially at those cost ratios, even in a Skarsnik campaign, by the time you have Fanatics, you have Eight Peaks are have a monster/calv/fast focused army that doesn't really have the space for them. It seems like it's always better to funnel your money towards Squigs or Calv over getting the infantry building upgraded.

Am I missing their niche here?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Night Gobbo's have Skulk and vanguard over reg gob's. I think that's it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That is it, they are a flanking force against low armor enemies, even if you're rolling a Red Skills Night Goblin Warboss.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the ideal camera set up for this game? Right now I use that camera hack from one of Party Elite's first videos, and while I really do like the added movement it give you, I hate that it clips through the terrain and fucks up zooming in/out. I value the strategical benefit, but there are times in the game I just want the cinematic experience of zooming in on my trips and watching them go to town. Are there any mods that allows the best of both worlds?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Incidentally, for all curious, Nanomashoes and I tried an all-shielded Chaos Warrior line and let the Peasant Bowmen loose ALL of their arrows while the Hellcannon struck. This actually worked out in Chaos's favor.

I tried this twice in multiplayer, the first guy kinda sucked and lost to it, but this second time it didn't work despite me managing to snipe both his paladins at the start when they went on my hellcannon.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd6rwdu70vn0ndb/chaosbret.replay?dl=0
I seriously have no idea what more chaos can do. Men at arms polearms are just too drat good for how cheap they are, it's insane.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I think the trick for right now is going to be focusing on getting rid of Louie's buff to try and knock down their value a bit. No idea how to go about doing that as chaos though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Morbidmind posted:

I think the trick for right now is going to be focusing on getting rid of Louie's buff to try and knock down their value a bit. No idea how to go about doing that as chaos though.

5 manticores, Chaos lord on a dragon, exalted hero on a manticore.
All flying army is really the only way.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jesus Christ. Goblin Big Bosses are just the loving worst thing to have thrown at you.

e: I've never really had much problems with agents before, but I just started a new Empire run and declared war on Crooked Moon now they have 3 big bosses camping inside my territory assassinating my lords and I have to replace them almost every turn and none of the agents I have can really deal with them. So, yeah, I didn't really think it was that bad before but Jesus Christ these goddamned Goblins.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 5, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do I enter the goon tournamentl

Also, this tournament is wrapping up at the moment, but there will certainly be a new one in the future! I believe there were some noises towards a 2v2 tourney?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Megasabin posted:

What's the ideal camera set up for this game? Right now I use that camera hack from one of Party Elite's first videos, and while I really do like the added movement it give you, I hate that it clips through the terrain and fucks up zooming in/out. I value the strategical benefit, but there are times in the game I just want the cinematic experience of zooming in on my trips and watching them go to town. Are there any mods that allows the best of both worlds?

I think you have covered the choice you have to make. All the camera mods I'm aware of really just adjust the debug camera toggle in the .ini file and don't do more than that. I kind of ran into the same issue myself.

Suggestions if you want to keep debug camera for MAX ZOOM OUT:
-Bind some better keys to the zoom in functions.
-Use these functions more than scroll wheel. Don't use the mouse wheel because you can easily go underground.

Eventually I settled on getting rid of the debug camera (but resizing the minimap window in the top right larger) because I found that if I had the option to zoom out to max I almost always did it, which is kind of lameo given the awesome spectacle of the game. Also there are some situations where being in closer is an advantage, when trying to disengage units from melee or sneak your lord out of a mob the path you take them out matters. Forcing through cav units on one side of the blob isn't going to work, but if you see the other side has only infantry you can squeeze out. But zooming down from the debug camera would generally gently caress up and get me underground.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

ZearothK posted:

Also, this tournament is wrapping up at the moment, but there will certainly be a new one in the future! I believe there were some noises towards a 2v2 tourney?

I might want to join up for whatever happens next (not to win, just to learn about MP), but a 2v2 tournament seems hard to schedule.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Marienburg delenda est

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Jesus Christ. Goblin Big Bosses are just the loving worst thing to have thrown at you.

e: I've never really had much problems with agents before, but I just started a new Empire run and declared war on Crooked Moon now they have 3 big bosses camping inside my territory assassinating my lords and I have to replace them almost every turn and none of the agents I have can really deal with them. So, yeah, I didn't really think it was that bad before but Jesus Christ these goddamned Goblins.

Skarsnik is the LL with specific bonuses to sneaky assholery, don't start a fight with him unless you can wipe him fast, or have leveled witch hunters ready.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fangz posted:

Skarsnik is the LL with specific bonuses to sneaky assholery, don't start a fight with him unless you can wipe him fast, or have leveled witch hunters ready.

Yeah figured that out the hard way. Though I did manage to score a peace treaty with him and 3000 gold after razing Karaz Azgaraz twice and killing his giant spider.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Has anyone had a game that, without any interference, Kraka Drak survived to the end? They and Ostermark seem like the game's favorite punching bags.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
edit: gone
2 Grombrindal codes.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 6, 2016

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

fnordcircle posted:

MYHC2-4P0P0-YAXX9
GB5XI-NHL7Z-8I0WJ

2 Grombrindal codes.

Thank you kind goon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Someone took the other.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You are fast. All gone now, sorry! Thanks :cool:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Maybe we could do a 1v1 and 2v2 alongside each other. Goon tournies are little more than an excuse to play matches anyway.

BTW, how would everybody rate the comp rules Beans came up with? I like them, but I think making special and rares into one category and letting them be 50% of the army would be better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I lost my first campaign pretty soundly, and decided to stream it, to get advice live. So if you're down, I'm starting in the next few minutes here https://twitch.tv/turtlicious

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Olive Branch vs. Vox Nihili - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

With Vox fought, that's all my matches done! Good luck for the people still needing to battle it out!

Game 1: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Vox Nihili) Gobbo sneaky tactics don't work on single-minded Forsaken.
Game 2: Dwarfs (Olive Branch) vs. Bretonnia (Vox Nihili) Artillery shows why it's the Dwarfs' worst enemy. Downhill cavalry charges devastate everything.
Game 3: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Dwarfs (Vox Nihili) Artillery once again shows why it's the Dwarfs' worst enemy. Chariots make a comeback.
Game 4: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Chaos (Vox Nihili) Chaos air power > Bretonnian air power. With an early general death it's all downhill from there.
Total Result: Olive Branch 2 - 2 Vox Nihili

Click on the links for the appropriate replay file.

EDIT: If we're not counting Thanqol's and Triskelli's victories/matches because they dropped out, then I have a total of 15 wins, all of them using the underdog factions. This was an interesting test to see how compositions work out!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 6, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox vs. Zearoth:

Game 1 Greenskins (Vox) vs Bretonnia (Zero)
Vox wins. Bretonnian infantry spends most of the match running away.

Game 2: Chaos(Vox) vs Empire (Zero)
Excellent match, including an awesome final regrouped clash at the end. Vox wins. Chaos is amazing in this ruleset.

Game 3 Bretonnia (Vox) vs Dwarfs (Zero)
Vox wins. Trebuchets have a rare MVP performance.

Game 4 Dwarfs (Vox) vs Chaos (Zero)
Excellent match.Vox wins. Counter-battery fire actually worked this time!

Final Score: 4-0 Vox.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I think I only have my matches with Beans left at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mukip posted:

Maybe we could do a 1v1 and 2v2 alongside each other. Goon tournies are little more than an excuse to play matches anyway.

BTW, how would everybody rate the comp rules Beans came up with? I like them, but I think making special and rares into one category and letting them be 50% of the army would be better.

I would rate my own rules like this:

- I think 'core' units are a good idea. The other categories (leadership, rare, special) and the restrictions on % of cost are a bit too cumbersome. I think part of the fun of Warhammer TW is the pre-battle attempt at counter picking units while at the same time keeping a balance. When you try to do that with all the % of unit costs for 4 categories its just kind of too much/annoying. I don't want to make a saved army list of each faction vs every possible other faction combination, but I feel like I should to be effective. At the same time I don't want to waste time before each match dicking around with cost allocations. If I were to do the same style tournament again I would set a requirement of a flat # of 'core' units (maybe 5-6) so the only considerations are taking # of core units and then the rest can be spent freely. I feel this would strike a good balance because I do feel like the core unit forced selections opened up some factions (and nerfed some down like VC).

- Round robin with 4 games was interesting but I think I would reduce it down to 3 games. 4 games in a row can be like an hour worth of time and with a lot of people trying to combine schedules that can be tough.

- Round robin vs bracket. Not sure how I feel about doing either or for future tournaments as both have solid advantages and disadvantages.

- I'll toot my own horn on the maps, I think they were pretty good picks. They all had just enough relief to make positioning key if you have ranged units along with some forests if you want to be cheeky and hide units.

• Locked thread