Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mysticblade posted:

Institutions are the replacement for Westernisation. At some point, the Institutions will spawn and you'll have to get them to spread within your country. The method of spreading depends on each institution but once it's spread through enough of your country, you can embrace it. If you haven't embraced an Institution, for each year it's existed, you'll get a 1% penalty to your tech rate.

To elaborate a little on this, you can spend monarch points to develop a province to spread an institution to it faster. You get progress towards the institution immediately when spending the points, and passive spread seems to be faster in developed provinces too. Once an institution has spread to enough of your provinces you can spend gold to embrace it. The more of your provinces it has spread to the cheaper it will be to embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The fort change seems really decent. Ad for the institutions, how do I get them to spread? All I see is a meter on my capital slowly filling. Is there anything i can do to help/hamper it?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sephyr posted:

The fort change seems really decent. Ad for the institutions, how do I get them to spread? All I see is a meter on my capital slowly filling. Is there anything i can do to help/hamper it?

See my post above, also each institution has its own passive spread conditions. There's a mouseover somewhere in the institutions panel (iirc it's on the text above the bar where it was the monthly spread) which tells you the exact conditions. For example, the enlightenment institution spreads faster to provinces with universities.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sephyr posted:

If you hover over the institution bar in a province then you can see all of the ways to increase the rate at which that institution will expand to that province. If you hover over any of the province development buttons, then that will tell you how much progress toward that institution will be made when you develop it by one point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NihilCredo posted:

If you had asked me four months ago, I would have bet anything that we weren't going to see a new technology system before EU5. Maybe we'll get s surprise on the combat mechanics as well; they're certainly far less connected to the rest of the game than technology was.

Good point! It does seem to be the oldest thing still in the game as I believe it's more or less intact from EU1.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

snoremac posted:

How long does it take to unmothball a fort to maximum defense? I'm assuming the greater the level the greater the wait. There's not a whole lot of war going on right now but I don't want some punks to catch me off guard.

It depends on the fort level and I think there's one or two ideas that affect the speed (maybe in Defensive?). If you mouse over on the fort section province screen there's a tooltip saying at least how many men per month will spawn into the garrison, and I'm pretty sure in recent versions it calculates how many months till it's full too.

e: the wiki says it actually doesn't depend on fort level at all, but generates 5% of the garrison a month, plus 1% more per base manpower.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 5, 2016

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Sounds like it could bite you in the rear end if you're not careful. Thanks.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

they redid the generic tier 1 european sprite :eyepop:

also peasant republic lol

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there anything you can do to help Ming explode? I'm trying to play Korea but as it is it feels like a gamble. You can't expand without eventually angering Ming, and the moment they decide to crush you it's over.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Apparently there's an exploit where you can royal marry Ming and then insult them, which'll drop their stability or something (I don't really understand it), which makes them lose the Mandate of Heaven and probably explode. I haven't tried it personally though.

I talked about this a bit as Ethiopia wrt the Ottomans, but it can work for Ming too- keep relations up at all costs. Them rivaling you doesn't spell doom immediately, often they'll get bored and unrival you. Counterespionage them so they can't easily get claims too, and they'll be much less likely to attack. Also try to share as little of a common border as possible.

Also I'd recommend attacking Japan and colonizing the Philippines etc rather than going heavily into Manchuria. Grab the mountain provinces immediately north of you for some doom forts, but taking much more than that just makes Ming angry for some pretty worthless land.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That warm happy feeling when you notice that Castile has gotten guaranteed, by Morocco. :cawg:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koramei posted:

I talked about this a bit as Ethiopia wrt the Ottomans, but it can work for Ming too- keep relations up at all costs. Them rivaling you doesn't spell doom immediately, often they'll get bored and unrival you. Counterespionage them so they can't easily get claims too, and they'll be much less likely to attack. Also try to share as little of a common border as possible.

Man I tried to do this but the Ottomans are a terror. 185k troops in 1585 how the hell can you ever compete with that?

I built up a series of alliances with local powers that seemed to stall the Ottoman from declaring on me but each got war decc'd by Ottoman allies and I had to abandon them. Maybe it was best to just try to fight anyway, but QQ had internal conflicts, was being invaded by Persia, and had two 50k Ottoman stacks running around so I didn't see any point in trying to fight that war.

Even with 50% Fort Defensiveness and Mil Tech 14 there's no stopping them from steamrolling your fortresses. I managed to grab as much Malmuk territory as I could without getting much of a land border but eventually they fell to the Turks and I'm probably going to lose the entire Nile in this one war.

Not sure if there's much point in continuing this particular game -- is there anything that slows the Ottoman down at all?

edit: I read your posts about Ethiopia and they've all been really helpful. Without restarting the debate about military idea picks, I'm probably not being aggressive enough -- it's 1585 and I haven't pushed south on Kilwa, and I never made it close to Cairo because the Malmuks always seemed too strong to take on until the Ottoman had pushed them into the Levant. You make a strong case for influence since that'd save me a ton of admin points not having to core stuff in the long run too. I'm also probably not being aggressive enough about taking out loans to get stuff done - I think I had too many games as a newbie where I'd spiral into Loan Hell and never recover.

Also I've just finished colonizing the coast of South Africa - I'm nowhere near close to colonizing SE Asia. But I've been using the Native Co-Existence policy because I never felt like I could spare the manpower or money to have troops sit on the colonies as they were developing. I'm guessing that's slowing me down significantly

Again not wanting to touch on Defensive vs Quantity but it seems like the best time to use Defensive is if you can force the Ottoman into fighting in Syria, which is really hard to contest before the Malmuks get overrun. It all comes down to how aggressively you go after the Malmuks but getting to Alexandria by 1475 seems crazy! They're still sitting on 30k troops to my 22kish troops at that point.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 5, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

Also I'd recommend attacking Japan and colonizing the Philippines etc rather than going heavily into Manchuria. Grab the mountain provinces immediately north of you for some doom forts, but taking much more than that just makes Ming angry for some pretty worthless land.

I thought of attacking Japan but it seems like suicide, they have 40k+ men with all their vassals (not to mention their fleet). Do you just wait till someone declares war on the emperor and hope they won't get crushed before you can sweep in?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's a bit of a tricky war now that the strait crossing rules were changed but it's still possible. The important part is you have to make sure you have a stronger fleet than them (if you get the 5 heavies from your merchant guilds and an explorer, which you'll want to have anyway, this shouldn't be too hard) and use the same old trick of trapping their army in one of the minor islands. I think last time I did it in Hokkaido (lately Japan's been eating the Ainu really quickly), you just have to siege some provinces there, their army will run there to desiege, then siege the other side of the strait and trap them in. Then you can siege them down without having to worry about their army.

Other important things: you start with a god king, so with mil focus and an advisor you should be, as long as you don't get unlucky, hitting techs 6/7 as they hit 4/5. This happily coincides with the point where their vassals have often consolidated and are big enough to start going disloyal, which means as long as you don't step in their land, they'll leave you alone as you destroy their overlord.

I do that pretty much every time I play Korea, it means even if you end up in a war with Ming you can just hide out in your islands and abandon the peninsula if you absolutely have to.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

you just have to siege some provinces there, their army will run there to desiege, then siege the other side of the strait and trap them in. Then you can siege them down without having to worry about their army.

Wouldn't they be able to cross the moment they finish desieging?

I'll give it a shot, in any case.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If you time it right you can siege down the other side quicker than it takes for them to siege their side + cross the straight.

e: it may take a few tries, I've messed it up and lost dudes a fair few times. But with naval superiority it doesn't matter, they can't actually hurt you and you can keep coming back.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I thought I'd try a merchant republic game, but not having estates is really annoying. :(

Might just end up forming Italy (as Genoa) at some point.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

Man I tried to do this but the Ottomans are a terror. 185k troops in 1585 how the hell can you ever compete with that?

I built up a series of alliances with local powers that seemed to stall the Ottoman from declaring on me but each got war decc'd by Ottoman allies and I had to abandon them. Maybe it was best to just try to fight anyway, but QQ had internal conflicts, was being invaded by Persia, and had two 50k Ottoman stacks running around so I didn't see any point in trying to fight that war.

Even with 50% Fort Defensiveness and Mil Tech 14 there's no stopping them from steamrolling your fortresses. I managed to grab as much Malmuk territory as I could without getting much of a land border but eventually they fell to the Turks and I'm probably going to lose the entire Nile in this one war.

Not sure if there's much point in continuing this particular game -- is there anything that slows the Ottoman down at all?

edit: I read your posts about Ethiopia and they've all been really helpful. Without restarting the debate about military idea picks, I'm probably not being aggressive enough -- it's 1585 and I haven't pushed south on Kilwa, and I never made it close to Cairo because the Malmuks always seemed too strong to take on until the Ottoman had pushed them into the Levant. You make a strong case for influence since that'd save me a ton of admin points not having to core stuff in the long run too. I'm also probably not being aggressive enough about taking out loans to get stuff done - I think I had too many games as a newbie where I'd spiral into Loan Hell and never recover.

Also I've just finished colonizing the coast of South Africa - I'm nowhere near close to colonizing SE Asia. But I've been using the Native Co-Existence policy because I never felt like I could spare the manpower or money to have troops sit on the colonies as they were developing. I'm guessing that's slowing me down significantly

Again not wanting to touch on Defensive vs Quantity but it seems like the best time to use Defensive is if you can force the Ottoman into fighting in Syria, which is really hard to contest before the Malmuks get overrun. It all comes down to how aggressively you go after the Malmuks but getting to Alexandria by 1475 seems crazy! They're still sitting on 30k troops to my 22kish troops at that point.

Yeah, once Ottomans get some steam they can seem impossible. If it gets to that point I often just expand in every other direction and plan I showdown in the late 1600s. I know you don't want to debate the military ideas, but as another poster said, I've never really considered defensive ideas for their defensive potential. It's all about the morale, leader pips, and military tradition.

Anyway, I think kilwa is key for all the gold down there. It can fund your army and colonization and you can worry about the inflation later. Coexistence policy is tempting, but I never take it. After you're mil tech 6 or so, it should only take 2-3 troops to defend any colony, you can also just spend some mil points to pacify them if it's a super tough colony and you can't spare the troops to stay there and wait.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, once Ottomans get some steam they can seem impossible. If it gets to that point I often just expand in every other direction and plan I showdown in the late 1600s. I know you don't want to debate the military ideas, but as another poster said, I've never really considered defensive ideas for their defensive potential. It's all about the morale, leader pips, and military tradition.

Anyway, I think kilwa is key for all the gold down there. It can fund your army and colonization and you can worry about the inflation later. Coexistence policy is tempting, but I never take it. After you're mil tech 6 or so, it should only take 2-3 troops to defend any colony, you can also just spend some mil points to pacify them if it's a super tough colony and you can't spare the troops to stay there and wait.

Hoo boy I'm a giant moron and whenever people talked about Mutapa gold mines I thought they were talking about Kaffa god drat that's a lot of gold.

I'm still conflicted about the second idea group since you can't take influence right away. Expansion I guess, for faster colonization but that means plowing full steam ahead towards Mutapa so you can get enough gold to support 3-4 colonists. I went with Economic but that if you're trying to colonize like crazy it doesn't seem to provide enough benefit in the long run although the -20% development cost is pretty nice.

That's the great thing about this game, every attempt you learn something new and get better.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 5, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

In case anyone cares the Tabarestan fast Persia strat still works but the war vs. QQ is absolutely awful now that you can't slow siege down their capital, since they will always beat you if they attack you while you're sieging. It seems harder to get allies than it used to be as well so you might be stuck for a long time waiting for one of your big scary neighbours to get hosed up enough for you to pounce. Before it was reliable enough that you could form Persia in the 1480s almost every time, now I'm not so sure.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I've found the best way to fight Ottomans is to not fight them until you've united all of East Africa and gotten control over Zanzibar and some of the trade centers that feed into it. Whether you want to go Religious or Exploration first is up to you, but I prefer Religious because early colonization is a drain on expansion in the most important part of the game. If you think you're going to lose the current war with them try to stall as best you can and let length of war be your friend in the peace deal. Then expand in the opposite direction as fast as you can while trying to get a defensive alliance with the strongest European powers, that should prevent a war dec again unless you pick the wrong ally. Ottomans taking Quantity ideas is a double edged sword because it makes them a juggernaut in the early and mid-game, but will eventually financially ruin them. You can use this to your advantage by sending the Ottomans into a debt spiral. Usually one good war with a follow-up war to deliver the coup de grace is all you need, but sometimes it takes more.

Anyway. if you keep having trouble take Innovative + Quality and turn on the +20% infantry combat ability idea you get from that, it's basically easy mode for fighting wars.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love institutions.

Eat poo poo, Europe. Time for you idiots to Kongoize.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I love institutions.

Eat poo poo, Europe. Time for you idiots to Kongoize.

Cool, what defines where institutions spawn? Is it mostly province development?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Enjoy posted:

Depends on the institution. They are also kind of self explanatory.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Enjoy posted:

The wiki entries don't seem to be quite right

Feudalism is present (or not) from the start
Renaissance spawns in Italy and spreads to adjacent provinces. Non-Euros will probably want to buy into it by developing.
Colonialism spawns in a random nation that took Exploration ideas and has discovered the New World. Note you don't actually need a New World colony, this one is pretty easy to snipe from Euros. Spreads more quickly than Renaissance, Feudalism, or Printing Press.
Printing Press spawns in Europe, usualky a Protestant or Reformed German national. It spreads to adjacent provinces so it's another on you'll want to buy into.
Global Trade spawns in the highest value trade node, it's the easiest one to reliably get for yourself. Spreads quickly by centers of trade and so on.
Manufactories spawns in a province with 20 development and a Manufactory, spreads pretty quickly to any province that has a Manufactory.

I haven't played past 1700 enough yet to know much about the last institution. Renaissance and Printing Press are the ones you'll most likely want to buy as a non Euro

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dreylad posted:

By 1585 you should be able to have all of South Africa, most of East Africa, a big chunk of Arabia. To field a big army to fight the Ottomans with you need a lot of land.

I would counter the Influence pick by pointing out that you can dismantle an entire coalition by just attacking it as soon as it forms, and the other benefits are pretty minor when you have enough prestige to have perpetual god-king rulers. You're better off taking Exploration (which will expand your force limit as you colonize) as your first Dip idea and then a second Mil idea (combining Defensive AND Quantity would be pretty clutch)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I still miss the Fantasia game mode that either EU1 and/or EU2 had. The one where you started as one province and colonized the world and eventually ran into one of the other ~10 countries in the world.

Ought to be pretty easy to set up with the 'custom' nation mode. Custom nation mode only has the custom nations you personally add to the map, no randomized states.

So you could setup and save an idea set (+2 colonists, +colonial growth), plant down a dozen or two custom states, and go for it. Not sure how much development you'd have to give them in order to have them colonize.

I think if I were to do this I'd:
A.) Use a mod that removed all the wasteland.
B.) Maybe set all world development to flat so that certain countries don't get a huge advantage over others.
C.) Maybe use the customizer unlocked mod, because I think that gives you an option to add a large base income for free, so I could give the starting nations cash to colonize even if they only had one province.

EDIT: On reflection, I suspect that this would break the gently caress out of institutions, both spawning and spread. Can't just set them all to 'Western' anymore.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 5, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yeah if you have easy access to the Indian Ocean/ South China Sea and don't have a looming threat you desperately need your military buffed up for, imo exploration is pretty much The Right Choice as your first idea group. Even a seemingly strong pick like economic when you have the Mutapan gold mines is still not as valuable as locking down infinite trade money and grossly inflating your development. It also just uses diplo points, so you don't fall behind on mil techs and can keep up with admin well enough to get to your second idea group quickly.

Enjoy posted:

sadly not, I had printing press spawn in a 1/1/1 province in the Norwegian wilderness.

they fixed that stuff for Centers of Reformation so I hope they'll do the same for institutions soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another great thing about institutions:

I could theoretically make Castille a protectorate right now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

Ought to be pretty easy to set up with the 'custom' nation mode. Custom nation mode only has the custom nations you personally add to the map, no randomized states.

So you could setup and save an idea set (+2 colonists, +colonial growth), plant down a dozen or two custom states, and go for it. Not sure how much development you'd have to give them in order to have them colonize.

I think if I were to do this I'd:
A.) Use a mod that removed all the wasteland.
B.) Maybe set all world development to flat so that certain countries don't get a huge advantage over others.
C.) Maybe use the customizer unlocked mod, because I think that gives you an option to add a large base income for free, so I could give the starting nations cash to colonize even if they only had one province.

EDIT: On reflection, I suspect that this would break the gently caress out of institutions, both spawning and spread. Can't just set them all to 'Western' anymore.

Nope, not sure this is really workable without modding. Evened out development, gave each nation 5 provinces (55 development) and extra colonists and they're not colonizing or spending any significant points on development. Everyone starts as primitive. AI can't even compete.

Game runs lightning fast with only 6 small nations in the world though!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Fister Roboto posted:

Another great thing about institutions:

I could theoretically make Castille a protectorate right now.

this is the greatest of timelines

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RabidWeasel posted:

In case anyone cares the Tabarestan fast Persia strat still works but the war vs. QQ is absolutely awful now that you can't slow siege down their capital, since they will always beat you if they attack you while you're sieging. It seems harder to get allies than it used to be as well so you might be stuck for a long time waiting for one of your big scary neighbours to get hosed up enough for you to pounce. Before it was reliable enough that you could form Persia in the 1480s almost every time, now I'm not so sure.

Yeah I've been working on this in the past few days and I just can't reliably pull it off as fast as I used to. The most guaranteed start I can have is ally QQ (no royal marriage) or just ask for military access, fabricate on Shirvan and Gazikumukh. Force vassalize Shirvan with a stack of 12k men and then immediately annex Gazikumukh (grant your new Vassal the province of Tarki if you want). That secures a center of trade in the Persia node which lets you sit above your force limit and still be running a profit. If Circassia hasn't been vassalized by anyone yet you can start carving chunks out of it for yourself but their provinces aren't anything special.

QQ will always be down to fight the Timurids. As long as you pick an easily defended Wargoal to rack up the points you can generally bleed them out but you still gotta be wary of Persian separatists popping out an enormous Persia with all the Timurid cores. QQ will always get punched in the nuts by the Mamluks or the Ottomans so you just gotta be patient. But yeah, feels bad that you can't just sneak off Persia in 40 years and then absorb all the free cores as the Timurids disintegrate.

e: of course as I post this it's the 1670s and the Ottomans and Muscovy both declare on me so I think my This Is Persia run is ruined for the nth time.

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 6, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Modding wise I see that it is possible to change the reforms of the HRE, but is it possible to create new ones? Also, modding wise, can you change the continent of the HRE? I want to make a mod where Europe and North Africa is mostly uncolonized land, and North America is the "New Europe".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

Yeah I've been working on this in the past few days and I just can't reliably pull it off as fast as I used to. The most guaranteed start I can have is ally QQ (no royal marriage) or just ask for military access, fabricate on Shirvan and Gazikumukh. Force vassalize Shirvan with a stack of 12k men and then immediately annex Gazikumukh (grant your new Vassal the province of Tarki if you want). That secures a center of trade in the Persia node which lets you sit above your force limit and still be running a profit. If Circassia hasn't been vassalized by anyone yet you can start carving chunks out of it for yourself but their provinces aren't anything special.

QQ will always be down to fight the Timurids. As long as you pick an easily defended Wargoal to rack up the points you can generally bleed them out but you still gotta be wary of Persian separatists popping out an enormous Persia with all the Timurid cores. QQ will always get punched in the nuts by the Mamluks or the Ottomans so you just gotta be patient. But yeah, feels bad that you can't just sneak off Persia in 40 years and then absorb all the free cores as the Timurids disintegrate.

e: of course as I post this it's the 1670s and the Ottomans and Muscovy both declare on me so I think my This Is Persia run is ruined for the nth time.

I never even tried to ally QQ, my strategy basically revolves around stabbing QQ in the rear end while they're dealing with their first spawn of Iraqi rebels. You have to fight a nasty war in the mountains and it's entirely possible that you can get bad dice rolls and have your entire army crushed because you have no actual forts. Also I had some weird poo poo when an enemy fort was stopping me from moving from one of their provinces adjacent to one of my provinces into my province, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen.

I hadn't thought to start out with a double war so you can get Shirvan as an owned province straight away; that's a drat good idea and may well make that first war a lot easier.

Persia is a pretty frustrating part of the map to play in re: the Rennaisance, since you can see it sloooowly creeping towards you which makes you feel like you shouldn't bother forcing it to spawn, but it's also lovely when you can see everyone else getting better tech while you're left behind :saddowns:

OTOH you get the fun of carving up all your early enemies into big beefy vassals (Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, etc)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Europa Universalis IV: my strategy basically revolves around stabbing in the rear end

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Butt stabs are an effective tool in most media :ese:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

wowee, quite the mod(s) there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My what an ugly beige map that is. And are those anime characters instead of country shields? Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

My what an ugly beige map that is. And are those anime characters instead of country shields? Great.

I didn't know this game could get better than it already is.

• Locked thread