Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I love that the jig is up for Bonehead McFakemunk. I wonder how it's going to play out.

Remember how Tahani reacted to the news that Eleanor, who she'd considered a friend, was lying to her?

Now consider this: she's just learned that her alleged soul mate, a guy she's been tying herself in knots trying to make a connection with, has also been lying to her.

I fully expect her to go nuclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Selachian posted:

Remember how Tahani reacted to the news that Eleanor, who she'd considered a friend, was lying to her?

Now consider this: she's just learned that her alleged soul mate, a guy she's been tying herself in knots trying to make a connection with, has also been lying to her.

I really feel bad for her. Unless she's just another mistake (Like the inheritance of her parents, this spot was actually supposed to go to a Tahini she really deserves better.

Quick reminder that Adam Scott is actually a good guy. Unlike Scott Adams. gently caress that guy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Oh man Nixon Tapes Karaoke was loving incredible. I was hoping for a Hotpants. Jesus Christ. quote.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I think my favorite part of the episode was Eleanor acting like a more sullen Veronica Mars in her high school.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
My favorite part was Adam Scott saying he "had to try" after asking Eleanor if she wanted to hook up. Just something extremely sleazy but also realistic about his delivery and her reaction.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Regy Rusty posted:

You realize that this has only just scratched the surface right

We already know there has been more than one mistake, and Jianyu doesn't fit that explanation at all

Oh right, duh, I don't know how I managed to forget about that so quick. :doh:

Time to just wait til loving January then I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Artic Puma posted:

My favorite part was Adam Scott saying he "had to try" after asking Eleanor if she wanted to hook up. Just something extremely sleazy but also realistic about his delivery and her reaction.

He was disturbingly natural with every sleazy thing he did.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Random Stranger posted:

He was disturbingly natural with every sleazy thing he did.

I've only seen him in Parks and Recreation, fleetingly in Party Down. To see him act like this was amazing and shocking. He's so good at being a total disagreeable prick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

I've only seen him in Parks and Recreation, fleetingly in Party Down. To see him act like this was amazing and shocking. He's so good at being a total disagreeable prick.

Yeah, it's funny that the guys best known roles are as kind of a loveable, dorky figure, because I think he's far more skilled at playing a sleazy rear end in a top hat. Even though I don't dig the movie too much his performance in Step Brothers is absolutely incredible.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

Selachian posted:

My current theory for what happens next involves Tahani becoming something of a baddie as a result of these events. She's incredibly insecure, her motives are the least pure of anyone that actually belongs there, and she knows that her score will remain unaffected, due to the information Michael gave her during the sinkhole incident. While she's fundamentally a good person, it wouldn't be out of character for her insecurities to drive her to do something with major consequences.

That said, this show seems to constantly find ways to surprise me, so January could comeand the first 5 minutes of the new episode will throw all this speculation right in the toilet.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I saw Sleeping with Other People on a plane and Adam Scott plays a mega douche in that too.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/video/trevor-is-the-forking-worst/3419423

NBC is on the ball with this show, I love it. Can't wait to see where it keeps going.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ernie. posted:

Interestingly, I think Tahani's character exists to show us that actions speak louder than words. Her entire life she did good things for bad reasons. And that's carried over here where she wants to do good to be better than other good people, not in and of itself.

I disagree, Tahani was set up to be this patronising snob in the first episode, but her backstory and behaviour during the series so far shows that she is truly a really good person. When she talks about celebrities all the time it isn't to brag but simply because they were part of her lifestyle.
Also notice that she is constantly setting up parties for people, that is again because that is part of her lifestyle and how she shows people that she cares.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oasx posted:

I disagree, Tahani was set up to be this patronising snob in the first episode, but her backstory and behaviour during the series so far shows that she is truly a really good person. When she talks about celebrities all the time it isn't to brag but simply because they were part of her lifestyle.
Also notice that she is constantly setting up parties for people, that is again because that is part of her lifestyle and how she shows people that she cares.
She is a petty person that do a lot of good for all the wrong reasons (mostly her crazy father/mother-fueled jealous resentment against her sister). She is a relatively likable flawed character despite jealousy being her main motivation. In the end, she just want to be loved too. That's hardly horrible. She definitively want the love (and probably need the support) of her actual soulmate, a Buddhist monk, which may be pretty bad for DJ Jason.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Tahani's not a bad person. We've been show that her snobbery and name dropping are basically defense mechanisms. Its reasonable to conclude that she does that because she spent her entire life trying to impress her parents and get a little positive reinforcement. Its very much become a sympathetic trait, IMO, especially since they've more or less shown us that its all true and its all because she spent her life organizing famous people to donate to charity.

She's not a saint like Real Eleanor but it speaks directly to the flawed logic of "the Good Place." Tahani may not be "one of the best people in the world" but she clearly doesn't deserve to be in "the Bad Place" either. And for that matter, Chibi isn't on Real Eleanor's level either. She devoted her life to helping people and he's in the same place because he devoted his life to studying morality? The system's clearly goofy.

Before they blew things up they seemed to very much be setting up for Chibi and Tahani to connect naturally instead of just being appointed "soulmates." I could see Chibi not connecting with Real Eleanor since his experiences with Eleanor and Jianyu have made him question things more and realize he's not as good as Real Eleanor. Then him and Tahani connect in their shared existential crisis'.

My thought all along is that its just too much of a coincidence that Eleanor and Jianyu live next door to each other and could somehow be the only two screwups. Once Jianyu is exposed publicly I'm kind of expecting it to be revealed that there's a bunch of other screwups who have been laying low all along. Then the Good Place is forced to just reevaluate their entire way of doing things and people make natural connections like Chibi/Tahani and poo poo.

But that was a super weird place to pause the season. Tahani catching Jianyu just doesn't have the kind of cliffhanger punch that the last few episode ends of Eleanor exposing herself or Michael deciding to save her from the Bad Place did. We kind of just had another episode that once again ended with Michael resolving himself to fight for Eleanor, they just spent the episode having Eleanor wrestle with her own self worth.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 6, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be almost too perfect if Tahani died at the same time as her sister and got her spot though.

Also I'm thinking that maybe this being Michael's first Neighborhood might have something to do with all the mistakes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

And for that matter, Chibi isn't on Real Eleanor's level either. She devoted her life to helping people and he's in the same place because he devoted his life to studying morality? The system's clearly goofy.

He hasn't saved a bunch of lives, but his flashbacks have shown us that he is a rigidly moral person, so he probably got through by basically never accruing any bad points.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blue squares posted:

He hasn't saved a bunch of lives, but his flashbacks have shown us that he is a rigidly moral person, so he probably got through by basically never accruing any bad points.

Yeah, there's no doubt Chibi's a good person. He's just not like a GREAT PERSON who made the world better like Real Eleanor is, or even Tahani. Although I could make an argument that he became a better person by risking his eternity to try and help Eleanor and Jianyu. That's the kind of selfless good deed Real Eleanor did.

Which is obviously the point of the joke that the Good Place's system is all hosed up since it basically says that 99% of people aren't good enough to avoid eternal damnation but then assigns who the 1% are based on a screwy sabermetric system. But ultimately Tahani, Chibi, Eleanor, and even probably Jianyu are all basically "good to average" people even though none of them are Real Eleanor levels of GOOD.

Well, ok, Eleanor was kind of an rear end in a top hat. But not a "drat you to hell" one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chidi. Not Chibi.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how Chidi got all his positive points, then, seeing how you supposedly need a crazy high amount to get into The Good Place.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Escobarbarian posted:

I wonder how Chidi got all his positive points, then, seeing how you supposedly need a crazy high amount to get into The Good Place.

Putting up with philosophy undergrads without murdering them in their sleep. That basically promises Sainthood for anyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It was probably a ton of little things.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If you guys have a problem with the infallible algorithm that determines if someone is a good person then you're gonna have to take it up with... Sean.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Escobarbarian posted:

He probably taught or inspired a ton of people who went on do great things. Like a lifetime of Eleanors. That's gotta earn you some points.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You get 1 point for scratching your elbow, and only 800,000 for ending slavery. I'm pretty sure I've already scratched my elbow like 2 million times and I'm only 41.

Elite posted:

If you guys have a problem with the infallible algorithm that determines if someone is a good person then you're gonna have to take it up with... Sean.

I hope we get to see Sean and he's played by Rip Torn.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wrong thread

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I hope we get to see Sean and he's played by Rip Torn.

I was more picturing Nick Offerman.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Real Eleanor may have had a lot of good thoughts and gone through hardship, but that doesn't mean that she actually really helped a lot of people, Tahani could very well deserve to be in the good place more, we just naturally overlook that because she was born rich and Is really pretty.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oasx posted:

Real Eleanor may have had a lot of good thoughts and gone through hardship, but that doesn't mean that she actually really helped a lot of people, Tahani could very well deserve to be in the good place more, we just naturally overlook that because she was born rich and Is really pretty.

Well, Tahani has less points, so...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oasx posted:

Real Eleanor was helping orphan-aged kids and is super honest, so it's probably a lot of points in "made sure some kids life didn't turn to poo poo". Also she died trying to save other Eleanor. But yes the poo poo that happened to her make Tahani's privileged life as a "born wealthy philanthropist" look horribly unfair. She still did raise a lot of money for causes, i suspect to a crazy obsessional level to "show her sister she was better". Like I said: selfish reasons, good results.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
(Fake) Eleanor once again brought up the issue of there not being a "middle" place, I feel like this will be a reveal so big that even Michael and Trevor will be surprised.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kraps posted:

(Fake) Eleanor once again brought up the issue of there not being a "middle" place, I feel like this will be a reveal so big that even Michael and Trevor will be surprised.

And then Tahani can have the epiphany that she would rather live in the middle place.

OR: The middle place is earth. Middle people just keep reincarnating until they make it to the good place.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Oasx posted:

Did you miss the part where Real Eleanor spent almost every second of her life helping the poor, sick, and disadvantaged? I can't remember the whole list, but every time we learn something about her life it's about how she was in some poverty-stricken or war torn country helping people. I'd have to rewatch the first episode and this last one to make a list.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really liked how everyone just went with the real/fake naming convention, and even Fake Eleanor mostly just accepted it.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

precision posted:

It would be almost too perfect if Tahani died at the same time as her sister and got her spot though.

Also I'm thinking that maybe this being Michael's first Neighborhood might have something to do with all the mistakes.

A demon making a neighborhood in hell would consequently make mistakes, no matter how much they practice.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This week Darcy Carden is on Hollywood Handbook, which you should already be listening to because it is arguably The Best Podcast, and dishes on the stuff we've all been wondering, like whether or not Dilbert's dad is going to go to the Good Place.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
When they realize the system's totally forked and needs revamping, who should they bring in as a consultant?
Doug Forcett

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I was thinking that James Roday as Shawn.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

joebuddah posted:

I was thinking that James Roday as Shawn.

Or Dulé Hill as Jazz Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

MrBuddyLee posted:

When they realize the system's totally forked and needs revamping, who should they bring in as a consultant?
Doug Forcett

Mark Brendanowicz is one heck of a city planner

• Locked thread